• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Important Question: Is anybody actually killing real animals w/ 300blk?

Shrubjr

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2013
I'm definitely not a 300blk fanboy, but I'm a short-gun freak, and I like the idea of a quiet sbr. I got to shoot my friend's 300blk with my Omega the other day, and I have to admit, it was pretty damn cool.

I am a blessed person who gets to do far more shooting in open country then I ever have on a square range. So my question is, is anybody out there actually killin stuff with 300blk?

I mean a lotta people are claiming that its this wonderful hunting round, but then I watch O'neill Ops badly botch a coyote shot with it, and never show their blackout on film again...for years! Thats just one example, I can find precious few other examples photographic, or video, of people that have actually been there and done that with 300blk as opposed to just making claims.

What are your thoughts and or experiences?

Some how the 300 BO came on the scene as some wonder gun. What it does that no other Semi does is shoot 110 grain to 220 grain bullets. But as most here understand 220 grain out of a 300 BO is not the same a 220 out of a 300 Win Mag. Same bullet for sure but not the same performance. It would be the same as a 300 Win Mag at roughly 1500 yards (rough estimate). The 220's out of a 300 BO have the same energy as a 45 ACP pistol.
The 110's are light for bigger game. The sweet spot is around 150 grain. Which puts it on par with the 7.62x39 and/or the 30/30 Winchester. Both 200 yards or less larger game rounds. As with any tool in the tool box there are things it can do and things it can not.

Last edited:
Sure... I opened an armadillo like a sardine can with mine... ;-)

Seriously, though, as has been mentioned, it's all about using it in the right application. Whitetail within 150-200 yards? Sure... with a good (supersonic) expanding projectile. Feral hog within 75-100 yards? Again... sure, with the right projectile, and as always, good shot placement.

Don't try and turn it into an elk gun, and it'll serve you well.

The above notwithstanding, shooting pistol bullet weight projectiles at pistol speed means your super quiet, subsonic suppressed, SBR performs as a pistol. Some manufacturers make bullets in 30cal that perform at pistol speeds but most don't. If you want an actual expanding projectile out of a subsonic 300BO, you are going to need to look around for it...

I've killed well over 100 hogs with my 10" and 8". Big, small, doesn't matter. I was using 110vmax@2300 at first but switched to 125 nosler@2100 for better penetration in the bigger ones. Contrary to what some say the vmax is nasty on them as long as you're not shooting a boar through the armor or trying to cripple and slow one down for a better shot.

Saw some stuff killed with 130gr SOST rounds out of a BO; it wasn't pretty, but the critters (hogs) were definitely dead. My buddy's comment was, "You're right; We're not eating anything killed with this round." (I had warned him they would be pretty violent)

As far as killing game intended to be eaten, as has been stated; pick your bullet.

Folks been hunting whitetail successfully for decades now with the .300 Whisper (B.O. clone) supersonic loads.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! I never intended to hunt anything with subs. Mostly I am asking for actual experiences. Thank you to those that have shared!

Love the caliber. Never shot an animal with mine. A ton of great real experienced folks on 300blktalk.com who are an awesome resource

If you use a 300BO like you would a 30-30, you are going to have similar results. While a 30-30 isn't ideal on a large boar, neither is a 300BO. Bambi will never know the difference.

Feral hog eradication at night with a suppressed 300BO will make your neighbors happy, at least mine were glad when I stopped using my unsuppressed 6.8SPC. Even unsuppressed, the 300BO is a lot quieter with supersonic loads to my ear at night compared to my 6.8SPC. 16" 308W, 6.8SPC, 300BO, etc. pick your bullet for the intended quarry. In my case, I want the hogs dead and can't eat all the pork I take so, I'm not picky with caliber as most of it becomes coyote bait however, I try to be a nice neighbor and cut the noise at night when everyone else is sleeping as the city folks out for their weekend on the "ranch'ette" can get a bit worried about rifle fire at night.

I really don't see subsonics as a reliable hunting selection. To anchor medium game, I want a lighter weight, flatter shooting bullet that has ample expansion capabilities at the lower velocities that the smaller capacity cases deliver at short-medium hunting distances. I am currently trying the 110GMX in the 7.62x39 for accuracy testing. So far, it shoots about like a PPC with the 110 V-Max.

For the 300AAC you might want to try this bullet, the Hornady .309" 90gr HP XTP.

Last edited:
If you use a 300BO like you would a 30-30, you are going to have similar results. While a 30-30 isn't ideal on a large boar, neither is a 300BO. Bambi will never know the difference.

Feral hog eradication at night with a suppressed 300BO will make your neighbors happy, at least mine were glad when I stopped using my unsuppressed 6.8SPC. Even unsuppressed, the 300BO is a lot quieter with supersonic loads to my ear at night compared to my 6.8SPC. 16" 308W, 6.8SPC, 300BO, etc. pick your bullet for the intended quarry. In my case, I want the hogs dead and can't eat all the pork I take so, I'm not picky with caliber as most of it becomes coyote bait however, I try to be a nice neighbor and cut the noise at night when everyone else is sleeping as the city folks out for their weekend on the "ranch'ette" can get a bit worried about rifle fire at night.

How many pigs do you have run off with the 300 vs the 6.8?

There were several more that I shot, but they were too far out/deep in the swamp to drag out.

I shot 5 or 6 between 40yds and 120yds with Barnes VOR-TX 110gr.

These three Florida feral pigs were between 80-100lbs. One of the ones I left out there may have been upwards of 150lbs.

Made me a believer in 300blk. As was said before, as long as you aren't trying to make it an elk cartridge or a long range cartridge, then I think you'll be alright.

Hogs.jpg

I used an SBR 300BO pretty heavily for coyotes at one time. As stated subs suck even on that sized animal at close range. Supersonics in 125 did well but ballistically were not that good and drop a lot as range extends. I have since switched to a bullpup .223 with a 16" barrel that is as short as my SBR 300BO, both with a can. It's far flatter shooting and in my opinion a no brainer for the mid to short range coyote gun. I no longer own any 300BO.

The 30-30 and the .300 BO are nowhere near similar in performance.
The 30-30 can push a 160 grain bullet faster than the .300 can push a 110, that is a huge difference.
That being said, a co-worker has whacked a couple of pigs with subsonic 220's and was VERY pleased with the performance.

I like the BO, I think it is probably one of the best SBR cartridge's on the market.
The performance of the 110 vmax from a 9" barrel mimics that of the .30 carbine with soft points, just in a much shorter weapon (9" vs 18").
Jim Cirrilo was involved in numerous gunfights back in the day, before AR's were commonplace and swore by the .30 carbine with 110 grain soft points. He dropped several bad guys with it.

It is an entry/tactical carbine round, not really a hunting round. The 7,62 WT is probably more suited for hunting, though it is pretty much a reloaders round.
Another viable option for hunting is the .25x45 Sharps

I shoot a 10.5" 300blk with 125 TMK at 2190fps. While I have not shot any critters with it, I did do some expansion testing between the 125smk and 125TMK. SMK did not expand at all and was recovered whole but banana shaped. The 125 TMK was a different story. Awesome expansion. We shot it through denim laid over 8 encyclopedias. Was recovered in the 7th I believe. I would not hesitate to hunt with the 125 TMK and Black Hills uses it in their 125g Self Defense 300blk load. It is also extremely accurate.

I don't hunt anymore, but I know the ballistics closely mirror the .30-30, which was my father's caliber of choice for whitetail deer in the south. It's used extensively to hunt pigs. The flexibility of the round truly makes it a one-size fits all for ~50-250lb animals. By far the most flexible round ever made.

As has been stated, pick your target. I like the 6.8 for sbr's as most of my shooting is supersonic, and you can get subsonics to dick around with. But i also have a .300, and it is a better sub round. The 6.8 is a roll your own affair in the subsonic loading. So it depends on your application. Like all hunting placement is paramount.

I hunt very little, but I did shoot a 190+ lb hog with supersonic 300 Blk and was very impressed with the performance. I think bullet choice is key due to nonstandard velocities as compared to other 30 cals.

Quite a few deer have been dropped at my farm with 300blk using 110 vmax bullets. Lays them out quick, and we are talking some good sized bucks. I have some Lehigh 194 gr subs that I want to test but it will be awhile before that happens.

Our hunting is the east coast woods which is a location where this round excels. If I lived out west I would drop this cartridge like third period French.

All you gotta remember with the Blackout is it's intended to be a subsonic that can shoot lighter bullets supersonic. It's forte is suppressed subsonic within 200 yds. It'll kill out to that range with just about anything you push through it.

On the downside is trajectory. with lighter and subsonic bullets you have plenty of energy within that range to kill a deer. People kill deer all the time with 90-120 gr. 6mm and .257's. The difference is they have more velocity and are sleeker in the air than the short fat .30 cal bullets. The slower, fatter .30's drop velocity more, and of course start slower. But, within that 200 yd. range you have what you need for flat shooting (enough) and energy.

One of the things I always got annoyed with when we had a bunch of .300 BO fanbois on here is that they would talk like it was competitive with other reduced capactiy (but larger) rounds. Like it was easily a 500 yd. cartridge. It's not. Another thing you might see running this on a ballistics program is that you (marginally) still have enough energy to kill at extended ranges. The problem is past 200 you start to see vast drops in trajectories. It gets to be a tough call to hit humanely at distances. If you know it, you can shoot it.

An interesting side note to this post regarding subsonic. The difference in drop @ 500 yds. from a 220 SMK and a .230 .45 ball was only 3 ft. The 220 dropped 28 ft. and the 230 ball fell 31 ft. when both were pushed at 1050fps.

What this shows is that when bullets aren't fighting environment, they retain velocity, thus energy (Newton's 3rd law of motion). BUT! as you can see, they fall...Big time! Guessing trajectory in that game changes from hits to misses in mere meters.

My buddy who likes to take 1000+ yard shots with his rifles, now likes to shoot deer in head @ 87 yards with SBR'D, suppressed 300 black. He said the 208 amax didn't even grenade. It went straight through. I was shocked?

I think those comparisons can be between, 30-30, 7.62x39(Supers), 45 acp, suppressed 308 win.(subs.)

I'm a fan of the Pistol myself. The sig brace is a beautiful thing once again!

Last edited:
A guy on my deer lease has one for his boy, Remington 700 Tactical in 300BO. I watched him bust a medium sized pig at probably 80 yards.... she didn't run 20 feet before going tits up. I was also shooting and shot the boar, about the same size, with my 308 running 168 AMAX, and the bore ran about 50 yards, I made a bad shot due to trying to shoot that heavy rifle off hand..... none the less, treo dread pigs, one with the Blackout. Later that same day, the boy used the 300 to take a nice mature 9 point whitetail buck, at close range, but it wasn't pretty. He shot that deer three different times, all in nearly the same place (point of shoulder on a deer quartering to him, bullets should have taken heart/ lungs out according to the angle, but the heart was intact upon field dressing. He wad running 115gr Remington ammo, which I think uses a SMK bullet. I saw little to no expansion, but I blame bullet choice.

I've since built myself a 10.5" sbr in 300 to run suppressed from box blinds on those cold rainy hunts. A 20" 308 or 24" WSM, plus the can, gets unwieldy out of a box blind, and the way our place is set up, those are both massive overkill. I prefer to climb up on a hill and shoot 350-550 yards, but some cold mornings, I just want to sit in a box and not bother with the weather.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I do think you have to have Ideal conditions with 300 black for hunting situations. 308 is a more appropriate caliber for conditions less than ideal. Heavy bullets in both calibers due serve well with energy on target. I would supplement with supersonic always supersedes subsonic.

How many pigs do you have run off with the 300 vs the 6.8?

The 300BO needs better shot placement from me on the larger hogs to hit vitals. The 6.8 hits harder so body shots have more effect which while not ideal will normally do the job. Running away from me, 5.56 is just a waste of ammo, 300BO is iffy and, the 6.8 generally slows them down enough to get a second shot to stop them. Running away ass shots really needs a 308Win to get to the vitals with a single shot. Run offs are only a real problem for me with the 5.56. Picking my shots with the 300BO is more important that it is with the 6.8.

With the 6.8, run offs are generally lack of shooter skill on my part, though thankfully I generally either miss cleanly or hobble them enough to get a second shot where it is needed. :eek:

With the 300BO, I need to be more selective in the shots I take. Good shot placement with either will do the job. With the 300BO subs suppressed, they don't know where the shot came from so, I generally have more time for follow up shots on other hogs. With the 6.8 they make a beeline for the trees at warp speed so follow up shots are generally under significant time stress (they run just has hard with the 300BO but, not directly towards the trees).

The 30-30 and the .300 BO are nowhere near similar in performance.

People who shoot the 300BO like they would a 30-30 are generally picking their shots so that the 300BO will work since it isn't over extended trying to perform far beyond its capabilities. Those that don't, tend to overestimate its potential and are disappointed. While a 30 carbine may or may not be closer to a 300BO, most people have no experience with them so I generally stick to a 30-30 analogy for the mental image that keeps people from thinking it is a mini-308Win.

In terms of trajectory and energy on target with final velocity, there are so many variables at play you really need to be specific with 300BO loadings. 220's loaded subsonic and 110/125's loaded supersonic and shot distances cause a large variation in performance parameters.

Last edited:
I think this thread highlights just how much has been forgotten since the Whispers came on the scene. The Blackout mainstreamed a lot of experimentation on the subsonic side but to put it into simple terms, hunting with 220, 240, 250 grain SMKs is closer to hunting with a broad head arrow. This means you are looking for bleed out damage from the bullet and, depending on where the bullet hits, the damage is different. A neck shot will generally give a lot of external bleed, and chest shot less. But the chest shot is where it gets really interesting because the SMKs will start to tumble in a violent manner as the bullet moves through - the ideal exit wound is the shape of the bullet on its side and it can pull internal tissue/organs out with it.

The sound of the bullet hitting the target is louder than the shot. This solid hollow thwack disturbs other animals in the area. The targeted animal may not realise it has been hit, and will walk in a circle, lay down, and expire. Less of the adrenaline inspired running you see with supersonic shots.

Nevertheless, modern bullet design with razor petals has changed people's thinking about how to use the 300WTF variants.