• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

INeed 6mm-06 load data

chris19210

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2010
East Texas
I have a 28" 1-8 twist 6mm-06 that I'm having trouble finding just the right load for...will begin neck turning this week as the run out has been pretty bad. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks

Re: INeed 6mm-06 load data

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris19210</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 28" 1-8 twist 6mm-06 that I'm having trouble finding just the right load for...will begin neck turning this week as the run out has been pretty bad. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks </div></div>

Chris,

Case capacity for the 6mm-06 and the 240 Weatherby are near identical, so 240 WEA. starting data can be used with appropriate cautions.

Bob

I've got data it just seems to be real finicky I was curious if anyone had past experience and a bit of advice or some powder that acted real well(reliable data)...I've got some pretty serious run-out issues so I'm sure that is a big problem considering my first loads from fresh brass seem to group better...then again the rcbs bullet seater plug is bullshit and seats of the tip of the berger 105 and 115 vlds. They said they can make a custom plug anybody tried this with any success?

RCBS will make you a custom plug. You need to send them $15 and 3 dummy rounds IIRC, and I have heard that it's done nicely.

The 6.5-06 can be a little fussy but a lot of this seems to be reamer design from my discussions with several well respected rifle builders and reamer makers. The 6-06 being fussy too doesn't surprise me too much, you're working with a highly overbore magnum essentially. Pushing that much powder through a little hole makes things act differently.

Send a PM to "willsnipe" and I'm sure he'll try to help you out. Like I said, he had the AI version.

Try powders like H1000 and Retumbo for that case, things like H4350 and H4831sc are going to be "fast" in that chambering. I've been there.

Thats what I've been playing with-thanks for the reference I'm waiting for a response. Think bullet jump should be increased most of mine have been on the lands or very close. Trying to go back to the drawing board rather than shooting the barrel half way out before finding a load. Should have all my K&M neck turing supplies in today.

To get the bullet seating depth down use a minimum load and seat 3 at various depths. All the Bergers and JLK's that I've shot from my 2* lead angle 6.5-06 liked to be touching, not jammed or jumping.

The 140 Bergers will shoot groups at 300yd in the sweet spot better than a jumped bullet will shoot at 100yd, just seems to be the nature of the beast.

To find my 140 Berger point I did:

1t = 0.001" (ie 1 thou)

10t jam
touch
10t jump
20t jump

In 12 rounds I found out that touching was the spot. Now work on load development for powder charge and primer selection.

Whats your typical runout .003 and less? Thanks for the advice I'll try that out next. Have you ordered larger expander plugs to limit the tension before? If so, any positive results.