• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

Did we figure out why capturing the wind speeds is giving bad compass readings yet?

IE DOF is 1200, wind at 300, capture reads it at 100?

Still looking for anyone to explain why they are disabling spin drift, aerodynamic jump, and Coriolis?

Just got a new-to-me Kestrel 5700 Elite and have a few questions. Is it OK to use alcohol and qtips to clean around the impeller? Also, I'm showing firmware 1.27, and I think my buddy said he just upgraded his and he is on 1.28. Can I update via LINK in one of the apps, or do I need to get a dongle and do it on my Windows laptop?

Thank you all.

My 5700 which still has the original battery in it shows varying battery levels when started.
Sometimes 100%, sometimes 47% etc.
What is up with that?
Battery type is set to Lithium.

Last edited:
If mine is cold/cool, the battery level will indicate low. Once it warms up, it will be back at 100%. The battery life of these things is the craziest thing I have ever seen.

My 5700 which still has the original battery in it shows varying battery levels when started.
Sometimes 100%, sometimes 47% etc.
What is up with that?
Battery type is set to Lithium.

lithium batteries discharge curves are very straight until they finally die and drop off quickly. temperature changes can greatly affect the results so most of the time it is just the fact that the kestrel needs to warm up a little to get a proper value. i wouldn't pay too much attention to the percentage until it gets very low and remains very low.

Reactions: rcorby2
if I purchase a 5700 with Link will I be able to also use the blue tooth feature for weather in Strelok Pro? Obviously not at the same time as running the AB or Kestrel app.

MagnetoSpeed’s new barrel cooler, Riflekühl, notice: We are seeing the Kestrel compass lose its calibration when stored near the Riflekühl, which has a powerful magnet in it that wipes out the Kestrel compass calibration whether the Riflekühl is on or off. It is recommended you keep your Kestrel away from the Riflekühl to keep your calibration.

Any 5000 series meter with Link will work. However, to get complete information you would want a Kestrel with a built-in compass so the 5500, 5700 and Elite meters are the best choices. Since there is no price difference between the 5500 and the 5700 which includes ballistic software, the 5700 is the best choice for shooters.

Any 5000 series meter with Link will work. However, to get complete information you would want a Kestrel with a built-in compass so the 5500, 5700 and Elite meters are the best choices. Since there is no price difference between the 5500 and the 5700 which includes ballistic software, the 5700 is the best choice for shooters.
Thanks

I have a hypothetical concerning the MV table and truing velocity. Have Labradar velocities at 30, 70, and 100 degrees input into the table. I am able to true mv at 70 degrees, and there is a slight mv change based on drop value. If I accept the change, will AB adjust the other velocities in the table accordingly? Or do I need to find the exact table temperatures I chrono'ed at and drop true at them? My apologies if this is obvious or if I am over analyzing this. Thanks

Edited-Disregard, I shouldnt have been lazy. Found the answer with minimal effort.

Last edited:
NEW Kestrel 2700 video

We challenged a group of hunters and shooters to hit a long distance target -- at a range much farther than they had ever attempted.
Achieving long-range accuracy can certainly be a challenge. Enter the Kestrel 2700 Ballistics Weather Meter. Watch what happens. Subscribe to our Youtube Channel to catch all the latest videos

Just got my 5700 elite and this thread is a ton of good info! So far, it's been rock hard...

Kestrel Elite Custom Curve users PLEASE NOTE
When selecting you bullet from the library, be sure NOT to select bullets with a parenthesis following the bullet name. Those are Personal Drag Models created by Applied Ballistics for a specific gun / user and are not Custom Curves to be used for other users. They are listed in the Applied Ballistic Library but the results will not be accurate for your rifle. Please be careful when selecting your bullet from the library and do not select any bullet name that is followed by parenthesis and information within the parenthesis.
Example:
SELECT: SierraMatchKing
DO NOT SELECT: Sierra MatchKing(Libert)

Reactions: rcorby2 and Dooby
I am one of those guys who have been downloading the forbidden fruit. I don't use it for shooting but researching to identify if a bullet tends to perform better in a wide range of match grade rifles than other bullets. More importantly, I want to avoid having a new barrel chambered specifically for a bullet that does not have that quality.
So, I have a question:
Is it true that there are so many randomly uncontrolled variables that this information is useless or even deceptive for my research?
Thank You

I am one of those guys who have been downloading the forbidden fruit. I don't use it for shooting but researching to identify if a bullet tends to perform better in a wide range of match grade rifles than other bullets. More importantly, I want to avoid having a new barrel chambered specifically for a bullet that does not have that quality.
So, I have a question:
Is it true that there are so many randomly uncontrolled variables that this information is useless or even deceptive for my research?
Thank You
You may want to direct this question to Applied Ballistics. I am not sure you can gain any usable information from a personal drag model without knowing anything about the rifle that it was developed for.

I'm also speculating Battery. For some reason, when stepping out of my car (or building or when it's been powered off for awhile) . The car's got a built in compass, so i thought this was the problem. Almost any time i powered it up coming out of my car/building, i'd have to re-calibrate. that battery finally died and got replaced.

So far, no problems now, compass works fine.

Watch for FREE KESTRELS with optic purchase on https://kestrelinstruments.com/ starting Black Friday through Cyber Monday. Here is a taste of what is coming.

NightForce SHV 4-14x50 Instagram.png
Tuesday 1 Vortex Viper Generic_ Kestrel 2700.png
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR-2B Instagram.png

Reactions: Dooby
Kestrel Elite MV Temp table is not working as I would expect it to. (Possibly error with the user)

I have input few rows to MV temp table.

19C 325ms
16C 324ms
5C 318ms
These are not bullet proof values but quite close. Some values are chronoed with limited shot count.

But for some reason when the temperature on the Kestrel is set to 5C, the kestrel sets the muzzle velocity to 322ms.

Can you explain this logic for me?
-MV temp is enabled, default MV from the app 326ms.
-I also set it to 300ms to test if it influences MV Temp velocities but it did not, after enabling the MV table it changed to same 322ms.

_________
Update:
I just went to edit the MV Temp table and while in the table it showed 317ms for 5C, when I entered to change it, it showed 318ms. I went back to table from editing state, and it still read 317ms in the MV Temp table.

After I edited the value to 316 (or any other number) and back to 318ms, it:
1. Showed 318 in the MV table view state also.
2. Fixed the MV to the proper value - 318ms at 5C.

It looks like values entered via phone are not properly saved or something? As I can re-create this error by re-importing the profile back to Kestrel from the phone.

I also noticed that the table was messed up again after importing the profile.

** As said, all of the temp table values needed to be input again from the Kestrel menu to get muzzle velocities to work correctly with varying temperatures.

**I messed the 317 and 318 numbers in this post but the main point is that it rounded the velocity up to 322 for some reason until it was set from Kestrel again.

Last edited:
Kestrel Elite MV Temp table is not working as I would expect it to. (Possibly error with the user)

I have input few rows to MV temp table.

19C 325ms
16C 324ms
5C 318ms
These are not bullet proof values but quite close. Some values are chronoed with limited shot count.

But for some reason when the temperature on the Kestrel is set to 5C, the kestrel sets the muzzle velocity to 322ms.

Can you explain this logic for me?
-MV temp is enabled, default MV from the app 326ms.
-I also set it to 300ms to test if it influences MV Temp velocities but it did not, after enabling the MV table it changed to same 322ms.

_________
Update:
I just went to edit the MV Temp table and while in the table it showed 317ms for 5C, when I entered to change it, it showed 318ms. I went back to table from editing state, and it still read 317ms in the MV Temp table.

After I edited the value to 316 (or any other number) and back to 318ms, it:
1. Showed 318 in the MV table view state also.
2. Fixed the MV to the proper value - 318ms at 5C.

It looks like values entered via phone are not properly saved or something? As I can re-create this error by re-importing the profile back to Kestrel from the phone.

I also noticed that the table was messed up again after importing the profile.

** As said, all of the temp table values needed to be input again from the Kestrel menu to get muzzle velocities to work correctly with varying temperatures.

**I messed the 317 and 318 numbers in this post but the main point is that it rounded the velocity up to 322 for some reason until it was set from Kestrel again.

Are you using iOS or Android and which version.

Thanks for asking, forgot to add background info
-18.9.2019 released Android version. (Latest)
-Kestrel FW is 1.31

Thanks for the "find". It appears to be a rounding issue in Android devices only. We cannot duplicate with iOS. We will look at a fix, fortunately it is a small number so it should not be noticeable at distance.

Reactions: Near miss
Thanks for the "find". It appears to be a rounding issue in Android devices only. We cannot duplicate with iOS. We will look at a fix, fortunately it is a small number so it should not be noticeable at distance.
I just a second ago also made the MV Temp table for another cartridge on the Kestrel and then exported it to phone via the "Get Profiles".

I lost the table on the Kestrel and it did not arrive to the phone either. Other changes like the Zero Height did arrive, so it was not an error in data transfer itself.

I take this back - the values showed up on phone and Kestrel after some time.

Last edited:
I just a second ago also made the MV Temp table for another cartridge on the Kestrel and then exported it to phone via the "Get Profiles".

I lost the table on the Kestrel and it did not arrive to the phone either. Other changes like the Zero Height did arrive, so it was not an error in data transfer itself.

I take this back - the values showed up on phone and Kestrel after some time.
Thanks, we will look at that too.

Do I have to be connected to kestrel to view/manage my profiles now? I thought I used to be able to do that in the app without connecting. Now those options are grayed out and it asks to connect to a device.

Thanks.

Do I have to be connected to kestrel to view/manage my profiles now? I thought I used to be able to do that in the app without connecting. Now those options are grayed out and it asks to connect to a device.

Thanks.
Usually they are grayed out prior to the first connection. The app needs to know which Kestrel you have so it can present the correct menu items. Do a connection and then disconnect and see if the app menu is available . If not give me your info on ios or android and version, app build and Kestel FW.

Hello,

There are 3 rimfire bullet profiles in the .222 caliber section.

It very much seems like they are out of place there. They are (custom marked) so it could be because of that.

Welcome to the Kestrel Meters Ballistic Support Thread. This is the official world-wide support center for Kestrel users, hosted right here on the Hide. Look for product news, Link app and Kestrel firmware version updates, PC program information and ballistic support.
I have the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4DOF and continue to learn about how to use it correctly. Can you manually input rifle angle?

I am not sure if this question should be here or not as a FNG here. If not direction is always nice.

I shot some groups this week and am trying to validate Kestrel 5700 Elite settings.

264 Win zero at 100 yds dead on center. Elevation set at 6 clicks / moa ( Zeiss Victory V8 4.8-35x60)

@335 kestrel says 20.32U, bullseye at 13.0 U = 7" difference
@425 Kestrel says 32.3 U, bullseye at 25.0 = 7" difference
@545 Kestrel says 52.4 U, bullseye at 45.0 = 7" difference

When I go in to adjust the FPS (magneto speed says 3120 fps, 5 shot avg)
335 is 3588 fps
425 is 3429 fps
545 is 3308 fps

Thoughts?

You are saying that your 100yd zero is 6 clicks already? Meaning, your turret is not on zero for your hundred yard zero. Just trying to understand your situation.

Question regarding powder temp table and MV.
I understand the MV calibration process. If using the Powder temp table, is there a certain order things have to be entered?
If I've already calibrated my MV, what happens if I add powder temp/MV info from magnetospeed after MV calib?
Or vice versa- what if I add powder temp and Measured MV's, then cali rate MV for current enviromentals?

MV Temp table has a switch on/off, if on the Kestrel uses the temp table data for MV, if off it goes to the MV you entered or corrected to using MV Calc. There is no order to any of it, just off or on.

MV Temp table has a switch on/off, if on the Kestrel uses the temp table data for MV, if off it goes to the MV you entered or corrected to using MV Calc. There is no order to any of it, just off or on.

So what is the recommended best practice for truing the Kestrel and having it make the necessary adjustments to MV based on powder temp.?
It seems both these features are important, but you can only use use one or the other!

MV temp table if for users who notice temperature sensitivity with their powder. A lot of newer powder is "insensitive" to temperature. It is an available feature. For best practices on truing visit the Kestrel Instruments website and go to the Support area for the Kestrel Ballistics Schoolhouse.

*** Caution on Update 1.35 pushed 1/11/20***
I have had multiple issues with the latest update. I would highly recommend NOT updating until something is figured out. I have lost the ability to toggle between targets totally. If anyone has any idea what is going on please let me know.

Reactions: davere
*** Caution on Update 1.35 pushed 1/11/20***
I have had multiple issues with the latest update. I would highly recommend NOT updating until something is figured out. I have lost the ability to toggle between targets totally. If anyone has any idea what is going on please let me know.

Sounds like you're not the only one. @ScottDWallace was describing the same problem to me on the phone last night, but I didn't have my Kestrel in front of me to compare to older firmware...

Reactions: ScottDWallace