• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Last couple of questions before taking the plunge.

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
I've got a brand new Rem 700- Tactical AAC-SD in 308Win (1:10Twist) that's sitting on my coffee table. It's got a HUGE problem with it, it doesn't have a scope!

After a lot of debating I've narrowed down my search to a Vortex Viper PST in either 4-16X FFP or 6-24X FFP. If the 24X was 2" shorter I think I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but it's not. One of the main reasons I keep looking at the 6-24X is the thinner reticle (.04mil vs .06). While I'm sure I'll occasionally hunt some pig, coyote, and other varmint, it'll primarily be a range gun which pushes me back towards the 6-24X scope since small groups will be it's primary goal. Writing this I'm pushing my self towards the 6-24X but not 100% sure. Would really like to get some community feedback.

The final problem is a 20MOA base and rings. I'm not even sure where to start on this. There aren't a lot of reviews out there for these things. Where is the starting place for good reading on these?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Last couple of questions before taking the plunge.

On the magnification, I would rather have more on the low end for hunting. For Range I would like the high end, thus I have a March on order 3x24. The 4x16 has enough to take you as far as you want to go with that rifle. The military for years used fixed 10x and we ran those out to 800 and beyond. The rest will be personal preference

For the application you described I'd go 6-24. Small targets at distance require more magnification. The occasional hunting trip can be dialed down. 6X is too much for hunting in heavy timber or brush but OK in the open country.

As far as rings and bases. ITs hard to beat a set of seekins rings at that price point,Badgers are nice, the Near mfg. Alphamount is Fucking Awesome. For a base Near mfg.,Murphy precision makes a nice titanium base with any slope you want,badger is a nice base.

The advantage of the 1 piece rail is it allows me to bed the rail to the rifle, right?

The alpha mount looks really good, but damn that's expensive. I don't think I've got 350$ in my budget for a base/rings. I've got the tools and a VERY good local machine shop, I'm sure I could design (I'm an Mechanical Engineer) and get a a complete custom set made for that price.

I am using the Weaver extended multi-slot rail.
http://swfa.com/Weaver-Tactical-Extended-Multi-Slot-Picatinny-Base-P46497.aspx

I have been VERY impressed with the quality and the price is impossible to beat.
I have the 20MOA on both my savage and my 700.

Yes, follow Lonewolfs instructions on bedding the base, it is very easy to do.

As far as rings, I have been happy with Burris XTR's.

Now those are some prices I can wrap my head around.

I'm really confused though, what makes the 300$ set of rings+base worth 200$ more than the 100$ ones? I mean I look through scopes and I can tell that difference, but what's the difference between the others?