• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Light weight build

scmar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2006
Pa.
I've been thinking about about a new light weight hunting rig in 6.8 spc. My question is ,is the Remington Model 7 action lighter than the 700 action ?

I want a short light weight rifle with a 16-18 inch bbl.and I like the 6.8 .

This rifle will be used on whitetail and smaller game at ranges less than 200 yds.

Re: Light weight build

Yes the M7 is lighter by a little bit.

How much do you want to spend, just like in the racing world "light" = "expensive"

To make it REALLY light:

ABS barrel, 18" long, CF fill stock from Manners, aluminum rail, rings, mag box. Maybe if you're feeling lucky have the bolt fluted and the handle skeletonized (weld it on though).

I bet you can spend $2500 pretty fast and not even have glass started on it though.

Why do a 6.8? You could do the same with a .308 with alot more ammo options. My friend is constantly unhappy with his ammo options for his 6.8. Of course, this is a not so much an issue if you reload.

I bought a Remington Model 7 in 308. I have thought about dropping it in one of the MCM "Edge" stocks. It's a great little rifle as it is. I find when I am hunting I do much more rifle carrying than I do shooting. If you wanted to go a little cheaper you could get a 700 youth model and then put that in a big boy stock of your choice. You could work on the rifle as you go, but have something you could hunt with very quickly.