• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for input on RAP 500 / AMAC / Iver Johnson 50 BMG Sniper Rifle

Boris

Private
Minuteman
I'm seeking any and all info that have experiance with this weapon sysytem. Good bad or other wise? Accerancy? etc... I'm thinking of buying one and realise that this my not be the best .50cal out there. But an AI or McMilian isn't with in my price range :) I thank all of you in advance for any help you can give.

The RAP 500/AMAC5100/ Johnson was the first 50 cal rifle built for the military for the task of long range sniping.
It was highly praised by Dean McCaelis (sp) (triggerfifty) as the most solid 50 on the market.
The shell holder design is both good, as it has no moving parts-it is also bad because it is slow to load.

Agreed, in fact that was the first .50BMG rifle I ever shot. It's a pretty dated system so I wouldn't go looking for one if I wanted a top-quality .50BMG precision rifle. It would make more sense to get if you were a collector.

I fully understand the system is very dated from the 80's. And it is slower to load than a truer bolt action that may be magazine feed. I'm seeking information as what kind of accuracy can be gotten out of it? If someone has ever hand loaded for it? Anyone who may have operational experience with it when it was in Military service? Has anyone made modification to the system and achieved better performance from it? Who and were parts might be available.

Thank you guys for your in put!

Ya, we used the Iver Johnson .50 when we were in...

it was very good, heavy and you had to take the whole bolt out to shoot it. But we found it too be accurate. (ammo probably wasn't the best) so accurate was not like today, sub moa but it was at least an MOA.

But that was the .50 we used. The only negative was, we kept breaking the Leupold Ultras on them. But never had an issue with the rifle.