• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LWRCi M6A2, milled for Select Fire?

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
I picked up a LWRCi M6A2 this weekend and as I was taking to apart I noticed a lot of similarities between it and an M4A1 lower, specifically that it looks like I can drop a Select Fire trigger assembly/safety selector in it and go. I'm simply curious if that is the case or if I would have to have it milled out if I choose to use a select fire option with it. I understand all the NFA regulations and the fact that if I am lacking the correct paperwork then it's hello felony and goodbye rifle as well. However if it is possible I'd like to get started on the paperwork for it as soon as I figure out which suppressor I plan to use. And I apologize ahead of time if this has been covered, I tried the snipers hide search engine, the google web search and the LWRCi forums to no luck.

Thanks for the input and help.

If I understand your question right, you're wondering if the the LWRC lower has a low shelf lower receiver which would allow the installation of the full auto fire control group. I'm not familiar with the details of the LWRC lowers and don't know if they use a low or high shelf, but if I recall, the lower would also need additional machine work besides the low shelf to allow the installation of a full auto FCG. I think a third FCG pin hole is required.

If you're thinking you can apply for paperwork to register the lower listed as a machinegun, you're out of luck. No new machineguns can be added to the list for private ownership

Yes that was the question. Taking a look at it again I would need a third FCG pin to make it function as a select fire. From my understanding I would simply need a FCG capable of select fire and a registered auto sear. Is that wrong?

If I understand how RDIAS mechanisms work, they don't need an FA lower, they just need a FA trigger assembly, but I could be wrong. So as far as I know you can just drop it into any semi-auto lower. I wish I had the coin for a RDIAS but they are almost 20k these days.

I remember looking at a full auto a while back and there was another hole above the trigger pin for the auto sear. You've also got to have a full auto bolt carrier (that trips the auto sear), selector and whatever else. As I under stand it, the above advice is correct... no new machine guns for civvies.

I remember looking at a full auto a while back and there was another hole above the trigger pin for the auto sear. You've also got to have a full auto bolt carrier (that trips the auto sear), selector and whatever else. As I under stand it, the above advice is correct... no new machine guns for civvies.

You can buy a "registered auto sear". I am not sure what requirements the lower has once you drill the "extra" sear hole?

A registered DIAS is about $17000 dollars for the sear alone.

There are a few options for full auto on the M16/AR15 platform.

Option 1-Purchase a registered receiver. This is a receiver that was made and registered as a machine gun prior to 1986. It will have the auto sear hole located above the safety selector hole. Depending on make and condition expect to pay $20-25k

Option 2 - Purchase a registered drop in auto sear that was made and registered prior to 1986 This is a piece of metal usually steel or aluminum that fits around the rear takedown lug of the upper receiver. It has a sear trip attached to it. This is installed without drilling a sear pin hole in a lower. Some machining may be necessary to the inside of the FCG pocket to allow clearance for the RDIAS. Current prices around $20-27k

Option 3 - Purchase a registered lightning link that was made and registered prior to 1986 This is a piece of metal that has a paddle in it that acts as a auto sear. Current prices around $12-14k

Please note that by simply drilling the hole for an auto sear pin in a lower constitutes manufacturing a machine gun even if no other parts are installed in the lower. Unless you are an 07FFL/02SOT, it is a felony under federal law to manufacture a machine gun.

So for your LWRC receiver, your only options would be a RDIAS, or a registered lightning link. Please don't drill a auto sear pin hole in your receiver, I would hate to see someone get in trouble for something like that.