• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

Re: M40a1 build guide

hey just for a quick update, I'm finally getting around to working on my stock and the threaded insert I have in my stock for the front triggerguard screw is a 4-40 and not a 6-32. Didn't know if that mattered to anyone but I thought I'd pass it on.

When I took apart the 1966 .308 ADL to get the receiver for my build the mag box was the taller ADL but has no tab w/screw hole and there is no screw hole on the receiver, S/N 2129XX.

Hmmmmmmmmm, never seen one w/out the screw hole in the reciever.
It will need to be Tig welded to the reciever.Frt/Rear.
And if it touches the bottom metal, it will need to be ground off to where it won't have metal to metal contact w/ the M70 Hdwre.

Is there a modification to the magazine follower to allow the M40A1 to hold 5 rounds or is that 5 rounds including one in the chamber?

My receiver is ready !!! Thank you ARMECA !!!
I'm always looking for a bottom metal type Model 70 modified to match my Mac Millan stock ?
Could you tell me if the modified part : a winchester 70 bottom metal can match a Mac millan stock made to match an old Williams bottom metal ?
Thank you
Merci

JP triggers reset on the ar15 platforms

i just put several JP triggers in my AR's and they offer a great crisp break, but catching the reset is a little weird, they feel really weak returning to the battery mode. the original triggers were really heavy, had a lot of travel and the reset wast critical in order to operate them effectively. I like the Jp but am i encountering this problem because the jp has eliminated all the slack in teh first place and doesnt have very far to go to get back to ready fire positon? Has anyone else noticed this on these trigger set ups and how soft they feel returning to the fire position.

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spooledup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know how many of these return stocks were sold to the public ? </div></div>

I recall a thread where Dick Davis stated 450 total were returned by the USMC. Of those, about 425 were sold on here on the 'Hide. Of the remaining, some were sold or presented to some McMillan employees, a few were kept in reserve in case an exchange of one of the ones sold was needed, and a few were destroyed due to their condition.

Have 10X Unertl for those in a build. Please contact if you are interested.

Hello I just was able to score a return stock but it did not come with bottom metal can anyone tell me exactly which one to buy and where? Maybe a part number? thanks

Greetings,

I am new to the site and wasn't really sure where to put this, so if it is in the wrong place please forgive.

I was able to find and purchase one of the Rem. Commemoritive M40's (SN SSA0900) with box intact and sling and took reciept of it yesterday...what a treat. Here's are my questions to what seems like the most knowledgeable group out there.

1. Do I shoot it or shelve it?
2. If I shoot it do I scope it? I have a Redfield 3x9 wideview accu range with the correct mount and Redfield Jr. 1" four screw low-profile rings.

Thank you for any input and again if this is in the wrong place i am sorry.

S.Jackson

Best bet NOW, if George doesn't have extra's..........is order the steel ONE piece from FN, for the Long action, and grind to fit, and notch it, so the trigger guard will be almost flush, and a good fit.

You will need the entire TG assy.(In Steel, not Alum).......and HFP.( and center screw)for front of TG.

Front of TG will have to be ground at a 45* angle or close, so that the HFP will snap closed...........

This will partially eat into the Center screw hole.........which is not an issue.

Care must be taken to not remove TOO much of the LA HFP.

Or, you will have a sloppy fit, and may have to weld some metal back on to the Front of the HFP, and ground again............
Then finished out to remove weldment marks...............

Shoot it..................
I would get some Linseed Oil to rub the bare stock wood down................to get it H2o proofed a bit, and it makes for a nicer look..
May also want to have a competent Smith BED it for you.

What serial ranges would be correct for what stocks?

What material/finish is correct for the bottom metal?

I am having a serious memory hole. I need to find my books from school and see if I wrote my serial down anywhere. I have a feeling I havent because I had to have it memorized. After temporarily memorizing the serial numbers for too many weapons they all seemed to run together. I also can't recall what finishes were on what because 99% of the time is was layers of paint. When we did see bare metal it was usually white.

Any 2112's want to PM me so I can pick your brain?

I got to speak with a Brother who was a 2112 at Quantico last night.

He told me the original bottom metal was manufactured by Winchester and supplied with a Blued Finish.

The barrels were "black oxide" finished.

Original serial numbers were in the 200,000 range. Later replacements were in the 600,000 range.

Unertl mounts were serialized although I forgot to ask him where they were marked. I don't remember seeing a serial on the mount on my issued rifle so I may be under the ejection port.

I'm sure no one cares, but since I started this thread I thought I would say that GAP called and said my rifle is done, and is on it's way. Should be here Monday. I'll post pics when it arrives.

jeff

Congrats Long Shot- I too got a call from George, mine is also ready, but the scope is not, so I'll be at least a month more, since I go back on the road at the end of the month... sigh...

Anticipation may be good for ketchup, it will play hell on a guy waiting on a stick like this though! There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and you'll be able to shoot it out before you know it!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anticipation may be good for ketchup, it will play hell on a guy waiting on a stick like this though! There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and you'll be able to shoot it out before you know it!!! </div></div>

Brother you ain't lying! I've been waiting for two years to put together the components, and the cash for a spec build. It's hard to justify the cost when I've got a comp .308 that can do more. I felt it was like owning a Shelby GT 500 or Yenko Cammaro. How many times in your life do you have the opportunity to own a legitimate piece of history? I can't wait.

I'm still a few components (especially glass) away from spec, but have my GAP custom to tide me over.... It helps, but I spend more time messing with my M40A1 parts than on all of my other rigs combined! Soon.... I keep telling myself!!! I could do it now if not for the scope......... coming up with $2.5K for this glass is my biggest hurdle!

Good luck with your build, and Old NFO's!! can't wait to see them both!

Yeah, but the light at the end of the tunnel is the 600 watt bulb in the headlight of the oncoming train... sigh...

Long Shot, my hold up is USO, waiting on the MST 100 to get through QA. I "hope" to be able to shoot it in July when I get back from overseas.

I actually had a Yenko Chevy II back in the day, stupidest move of my life to sell it... dumb, dumb, dumb...

I have a spec built A1 but I rather have the Yenkos
smile.gif

I started the M40a1 build guide a year ago and I finally have it in my hands. I mounted my MST-100 up. It had been sitting in the safe way too long. Now remember this action is 10 years older than I am, and the stock is used, and the scope has fixed parallax and is set at 300 yards. Also keep in mind this rifle has 18 rounds through it so far. 10 to zero, and a 3 shot group and a 5 shot group.

I'll be shooting it this weekend in a comp, but I know you guys wouldn't accept a pretty rifle without some groups.

First impression besides being drunk with joy from just building this thing were the scope is a little far forward for me, but nothing I can't overcome. I also noticed the parallax is pretty damn fuzzy at 100 yards shooting dots. I suspect that is why my groups are as big as they are. Other than that it's scary this thing has been in use for 30 years, and could still do a fine job.

I am thrilled with GAP, USO, and the finished product.

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

M40a11.jpg

M40a12.jpg

Nice! sigh... looking at my work sked, it's going to be July or August before I get to see/shoot mine... dammit...

I came across a few sets of Redfield Jr. rings. Where these ever spec'd on the M40 or M40A1?

Im looking for the correct scope mount and rings for the Unertl and the Redfield rings that are the bottom screw. Any help would be nice. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking for the correct scope mount and rings for the Unertl and the Redfield rings that are the bottom screw. Any help would be nice. Thanks
</div></div>

USO makes an exact repro of the original Unertl mount with rings. JBW#3's post is on page 2.

They're not producing them anymore, but when I called a few months ago they still had a few available on the shelf. Good luck.

Ok so I have my rifle, for now it will have to wear a weaver T10 on it until I can track down an MST-100 (I'm not patient enough to wait to shoot it). The question is will USO scope mount have enough height for the weaver?

Cody

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolf13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long did it take you guys to find a 6 digit receiver? </div></div>

I have acquired 4 in the last year within the serial range. Keep an eye in the FS section. They come up once in a while. Check out your local pawn shops and gun stores for consignements. They are worth whatever you have to pay if you are going full spec and have to have a 6 digit.

As BearGuide stated the cost is what you want to pay. I traded a USMC stock for my 6 digit with clipslot already done and I am not unhappy as I think the new owner was. For me, it was good on both sides as I now have my receiver for the build. Don't forget the scopes are right now on hold, so we still need to hope that we can get those again. And then there is the mount which I heard that uso isn't building anymore of either.
Maybe they will do a GB if they can on these.
Chad

I found mine at a local pawn shop (a near virgin .243 ADL, almost a shame to piece it out) and paid under $300, complete with an older Banner 3x9. Sold the stock for $86 on e-Bay, sold the aluminum trigger guard for $15 to a local guy, kept the scope for a beater 10/22 I have, but had to destroy the barrel since it was wedged on so damned tight. The deals can be found if you take the time to look.

My receiver is within the 200,000 range but not exactly correct from what I've gathered. But, it's good enough for me.

PA190126.JPG

Well looks like I will keep looking. I have checked all the gunshops around me except for one, which is the most likely to have it. Went to the local gun show yesterday and missed out on one.

I have a question about the receiver. Does it matter what caliber or model it is as long as its a short action and a 700?

Short action 700 with a .473 bolt-face. The prefix letters designate when the action was made. Non letter prefix are the ealiest actions followed by A-G or whatever they're up to now.

Ok, thanks for the help. Still no luck yet, but I will keep trying.

I have almost everything I need for my M40A1 clone:

Hart Barrel
Reciever
McMillan HTG
A retired USMC sniper armorer to do legit work (Isaac McCaskill, Ssgt (ret) 2112)
A leupold M3 fixed 10X (i know, i know...Army M24 scope, but it will have to do until I can get the USO)

Just a few questions; Which M70 floorplate should I use? Pre-64's come in long and short, but post 64's have only one size. Can one actually clip load the M40? it seems that the scope mount would get in the way. Last, where can I get an acceptable Unertl type mount with redfield rings? Thanks for your help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocCaswell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have almost everything I need for my M40A1 clone:
Can one actually clip load the M40? </div></div>

No, you cannot clip load the M40. I have never been able to find any literature stating that the M40 was intended to be clip loaded. It appears that the "clip slotting" is there for the scope mount.

I will add that during my time in service I never actually saw any 7.62 on clips. It all came in belts or 20 round boxes.