• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

Re: M40a1 build guide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know PWS but the RTE shop used to do the whole barrel in and out; can't imagine things have changed that much? </div></div>

Did they use an acid pre-dip? I would think that would screw up the bore. If I'm wrong let me know(it's not like it would not be the first time). Like most of us, I am trying to learn how it was done.

Dave P

The M40A1 will get color on the stainless, but there have been pictures on here that show an almost pure stainless barrels on those rifles. Not sure what the benefit of that is (oxide) but Anything once sprayed with paint will not be shiny anymore.
Can anyone say why they used this coating?

Please understand that I am not a smith; evidently the acid would pit the barrels,but would not affect accuracy adversely!They used that coating to prevent glare. It wouldn't last too long and evidently most are painted after black oxiding.Untill Birdsong came along there weren't too many coatings that would adhere to stainless.

Can someone explain the process to do the black oxide. Im going on leave here soon and will have an M40a1 built when I go home. I would like to do the black oxide myself. How does this process differ from blueing or even pakerizing? Any help will be appreciated and if someone has pics please post.

Im new to the forum and regestered after seing this topic.I have a 40x with 7.62 NATO stamped on the barrel serial # dates it as64-65 stripper clip notch. redfield jr. mount and rings after talkind to major jim land I was told that this is a speck rifle loned to U.S.marine corp. for testing. Jim would not verify Without seeing,and said he may not remember if was or not. He recommended finding a marine corp. armorer of this error that might haved worked in the early program. Can anybody help.

I'll help relieve you of it for my M40A1 semi-spec build! Drop me a line if you want to let it go.... I have a turn-in stock & need the action.... Have a M700P limited edition w/24" factory fluted barrel and action to trade + some boot....

What kind of spring goes on the winchester floorplate?
Can i use a factory remington bdl?or i need adl sping, like the box?
The bottom screws, where is a good place to get them?
thanks

Which trigger can be cut to clear the triggerguard/stock?
Any rem factory trigger or do i need a specific one ?
I only have xmark trigger and a 40x adjustable triggers at this time.
thanks

Neither are right. There are plenty of people out there that will sell them just take some time on the sales pages here. Usually some where less than 50 bucks. Give a few weeks, sure you'll find one.
40x has the outside adjust. Can't mill that. Xmark has said to be bad off the start, don't use it.
Chad

Ok, which trigger is the one i should be looking for?
It cant be found new,like brownells or midway usa.?
thanks chad3

Just wanted to post a heads up that SDWhirlwind (Dennis) is going to make another batch of swivel studs if enough people want them. These screw right into the same insert that the original Wichita's do, and as such are interchangeable without altering the stock so you can return it to it's original state, but it allows you to use a Harris bi-pod! I have a couple and they work & look great!!! Check out his thread in the Optics & Accessories for sale threads. It's a great option to have for these stocks! I have no connection to this sale, just a happy user and thought I'd pass this along as I don't know of anywhere else to get them....

Thanks for the kind words/advertising Bill

I have a post in the for sale optics/accessories section. If you want any of these studs you need to get ahold of me by Tuesday eve (the 16th) to get one. I have started some and they should be finished by weeks end pending luck/tooling breakage. After that I have to reset jigs etc to continue so there will be NO MORE added or in the future.

Please let me know via PM if you want any. Details are in the post or via PM.

Thanks again to Bill and SH.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Ok.. I have read this through, I am getting a Remington action "B" suffix number. I am wanting to do a M40 build. If I have read this correct. I need an ADL stock and refinish it. I have Redfield rings, but not the Redfield mount yet. Tell me if I read correctly that I need to get Winchester bottom metal. Have it bedded with Accra-Glass, no pillers. Redfield scope. GI sling.. What is the correct finish on the action and barrel for the M40? Parkerized or Black Oxide?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIE107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok.. I have read this through, I am getting a Remington action "B" suffix number. I am wanting to do a M40 build. If I have read this correct. I need an ADL stock and refinish it. I have Redfield rings, but not the Redfield mount yet. Tell me if I read correctly that I need to get Winchester bottom metal. Have it bedded with Accra-Glass, no pillers. Redfield scope. GI sling.. What is the correct finish on the action and barrel for the M40? Parkerized or Black Oxide? </div></div>

Just so you know, the G prefix receivers were also installed on the M40A1's by Marine armorers. G is also the prefix of the current 700 Remingtons, and has been for many years. Make it easy on yourself. </div></div>

But he said M40 and you said M40A1, I think he's using a wood stock Mike.

Yeah, well I tried to "search" for M40.. and of course I could not get any results and when you try to expand the search.. lol.. you get so much mud to wade through.. so I figured that I would start here.. I know.. spank me for posting in the wrong place.. but I felt that I needed to start somewhere.

The M40's purchased by the Corp in 66ish were 6 digit non prefix that the later M40A1's were built from. Those that have been damaged, destroyed, lost, worn out or more added according to George at GAP were first C prefix, then some E's and the last are G prefix. No mention of B ever. Also the smooth bolt handles with no checkering were originally intended for the plain jane Model 78 that replaced the 788 for a short time. Cheaper bluing, no checkered knob and a hardwood instead of walnut stock, otherwise the same. Some of the bolts ended up in 700's however as I have seen some at gun shows and for sale on Gunbroker etc.

Also I am near positive that all M40's used standard Remington bottom metal. Not until the M40A1 was the 2pc Winchester used. Some are using a modified ADL stock with pressed checkering however I have never seen one with enough 'meat' in the forend to inlet it for Remington's Varmint contour barrel and look descent. The original M40 stocks were the Varmint Special model less tenite tip/grip cap, checkering and with and oil instead of polyurethane finsih. They were not ADL stocks worked over that I have seen. The later cut checkered ADL stocks DO have a bit wider forend and will leave enough material top side after inletting for a HB. I put my 40XR 22 rimfire is in one and barrel is about .050 larger muzzle diameter (.880) than a Remington Varmint/M40 barrel(.830). Don't know how the newer ADL will look after the cut checkering is all sanded off though. It cannot be steamed like the press checkered model. The one I am referring to slops rearward at the tip instead of being rounded.

All this garble probably only makes things more confusing? Only similarity with M40 vs. the M40A1 was the M40A1's were built initially using recievers from M40's and being 308's!!!! Stock, swivels, barrel contour, floorplate, and eventually the scope and mounts are all different.

I'll give this a bump with a quick question. Anyone know if the bolt lock feature in the safety lever was ever removed on the M40/M40a1 by the RTE shop in the old days? I know the more recent 700s do not have the bolt locking safety, I have an early action and a tall safety with the bolt lock tab. Not sure if I like the bolt lock feature, looks like it can be done away with easily enough.

Where is a good place to get the socket head bottom metal bolts from? Is there a special type of bolt it needs to be or just any 1/4x28 screw?thanks

I have seen some photos of M40A1 rifles with the Unertl scope/mount combo fitted with a Simrad front ring cap. I know these are available for the larger tube scopes but I have not been able to determine what was used on the 1 in. tube setup for the Simrad ring. Anyone have any info? One photo on the hide has a M40A1 with a forward top ring mounted that certainly looks longer than the bottom but I can't tell if there is some sort of spacer used on the top ring assuming it to be 30mm or larger. This thread has the photo http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...true#Post454074

What was the original finish used on the M40 wooden stocks?

What was the original barrel contour on the first M40's?

Is anyone making duplicates of the original M40 (not M40A1 or M40A3) these days?

There is a m40 build guide here some place, and its hard to get the smooth wood stock.Im sure theres someone here who has one.If you decide to journey into that i recommend you buy the book called ONE ROUND WAR, theres lots of good info.

Remington released a limited edition M40 just a year or two ago and they show up on Gunbroker quite frequently....from what I've heard they are some pretty good shooters right out of the box. SWFA also was selling a limited edition reproduction scope for them that were pretty low priced....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a m40 build guide here some place, and its hard to get the smooth wood stock.Im sure theres someone here who has one.If you decide to journey into that i recommend you buy the book called ONE ROUND WAR, theres lots of good info. </div></div>

I put a link to a build guide over at Sniper Central... It is listed up above^^^^^^^^^

The guy that did the build got a non checkered stock from Numrich. I am not sure how accurate the build is for the purist out there though.... Dont know enough about it personally....

The M40 was basically a Rem Varmint Special in 308 less checkering, black tenite tip and grip cap, oil finish instead of gloss polyurethane and parkerized finish. Barrel contour was same as Remington Varmint Special @ .820ish muzzle diameter and 24". Factory Remington barrel and floorplate etc.

Duane at Strider Knives actually made a limited number of Simrad caps years ago. When I saw his build a few years ago I asked who was making them and he told me he had a limited contract to make them

I have a set of Win M-70 bottom metal from Williams Firearms, the parts are nice quality. I did have to wait a couple of months to get them but I think most manufacturers make such parts in limited quantities so they may not have them imediately. I am sending my parts to George Gardner (GA Precision)for the build, he does the cut down and fitting of these for the M40A1.

I'm talking about the followers and springs?

Are stock Remington 700 magazine followers and springs compatible with the Winchester 70 bottom metal?

Well, sometimes I am too poor to pay attention. As far as I know the Remington follower and spring are used with a small mod done to the bottom of the stamped follower. There are two tabs that get ground off, I think this is done to allow max capacity in the mag to be 5 rounds.

That makes sense. Mine holds 5, and feeds just fine. I never thought I could get five rounds in there.

I think Accurate Innovations will do an aluminum bedded walnut stock with no checkering [and no finish, if you want to do your own] as an option - It wouldn't be a good choice for a concourse perfect replica, but it sure would make a pretty shooter that should be about as accurate as you could get with a solid wood stock. They're pricy, but those Remington replicas were going for more than a grand for what should be a $600 rifle IMHO [I sure do love the look of oiled walnut next to Parkerized steel though - maybe when my M-21 build is done].

Just a couple of authentic (?) pics i scarfed up about 7 years ago:
I may have to part with my ST-10/base/rings and fork another 1500 out to get this scope.....before it's too late...

M40A1.jpg

M40A1no2.jpg

I am liquidating everything to do an A1. I sold my ST-10, A2 stock, The Ross bases I had, The hardcase I never use.. All I need to get rid of is my Husky enduro thats on fleebay and CL to fund the scope purchase.

I got my hands on a smear return stock from a fellow Hide member.
I ordered a Schneider contract barrel.
To be continued...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my hands on a smear return stock from a fellow Hide member.
I ordered a Schneider contract barrel.
To be continued...
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Looking forward to seeing the results!

mcm308, ive seen lows and mediuims too.here are mine but they seem to be mediums
m40.jpg

redfieldbase.jpg

redfieldbase2.jpg