• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

The stock is a McMillan trade-in that was painted that way when I received it, and the scope is a Leupold off a Utah Highway Patrol McMillan rifle they traded in about 13yrs ago. The smith did a black Gunkote on the barrel and triggerguard which was with the stock from McMillan. Not exactly what I wanted, but it works. The barrel is a Mike Rock that was bought from a group buy here as I recall. I'm very pleased with the accuracy using M118LR or FGMM 175s. I wasn't looking for a complete clone, in large part because I couldn't justify the price of an MST for a non-threaded rifle I'd shoot infrequently.

I thought I'd posted in this thread a few years ago but I can't come up with it in a search.

Like you said, not 100% but at least the stock went to good use.

My best shooting rifle is a mutt I put together using parts spec'd for USMC rifles from the M40 to the M40-A5.

A fantasy gun but a fine tool none the less.

Who knows, perhaps my spec A1 built at PWS would shoot paper just as well, perhaps better, if I lost the MST 100 and mounted the Premier from the fav gun on it.

Its not 1979 anymore and its good to see these cousin guns paying tribute and still working.

IMG_0129.JPG For the folks that have been contacting me for M40A1 scope bases, I am making a batch for a builder in MO. I am going to use all the material and make some extras. If you have been wanting one contact me I will have a handful of extras. PM, Email or text.

Attachments

• IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Just read all 61 pages...

i do most of my A-1 posting at M40Rifle.com, where I have a complete and drama filled thread on my build going... you will find my thread over there quickly if you look.

but ill post post some pics here too once my rifle is complete as well.

Im excited to finally have one of the finest combat rifles ever made.

My Raven build is due to head to black oxide this week. Next time I'm off the boat (mid November) it's MST mounting and zero time!

1c38ba339602370dd4296c2a5ae3cca4.jpg
e4086c21648638a6032f272d894aa1ac.jpg
0fc466684874a87781955d22ffc69153.jpeg
b4dcd8d16dcf035e03e29ddbef6acc2b.jpeg
a88653debdf890a14d79d40d9eb33697.jpeg

That's a TMA mount on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 of my mounts are on eBay now. They are being auctioned off for Katrina Hanna who was shot in Vegas. The proceeds will go to her medical bills. If you need a mount I donated 3 of them. This is a good time to buy And the money will help a worthy young lady.

Reactions: rlm8541
I have a Two Man mount for my A-1 project and can speak to the quality. I lapped the rings and they could have gone without. Nice piece. Grab one for the cause if you've been waiting.

Thanks J!M. The money from the donated mounts will go to

https://www.gofundme.com/4j0uzs8

The eBAy seller won't be taking payment, instead the buyer will pay to Ms. Hannah's gonfundme page. We are currently sold out of mounts as we filled an order for a builder in MO. The only 2 remaining are the two that we donated. I have had requests for many more and I will cut more as soon as we get time for M40 projects. Thanks to all the customers over the years and please donate to these people who are suffering if you can.

Take a look at this link and take pride in knowing that our military is filled with the finest in the world.

http://abc7.com/marine-saves-life-of...m%2F2485685%2F

Last edited:
I think CMP may have sold the original 1776 Unertl.

I thought I saw a picture of it somewhere.

Been a while since I been here! Rifle/scope 5899 ever pop up anywhere? I'd love to know it's where abouts and maybe get her back.

Nice necro-post, quoting me from 11 years ago!

GA doesn't use a Remington Varmint contour barrel. All of their specs are listed on the product page:
https://www.gaprecision.net/usmc-m40a1.html
  • 25-inch (24-inch from Recoil Lug) USMC Contour Spec. 1-12 twist, 6groove, Stainless barrel 1.200 for 4-inch straight taper to approx. .920" at muzzle

I think you're confusing a blank length and contour dimensions @ lengths (to show taper amounts), with where the smith should cut/crown/finish a barrel.

Either way, spec'ing a rifle and associated tidbits to conform to a military spec is outside of my wheelhouse.

Yea I'm kind of lost? I'm to provide her with my action (pacific machine precision rem700 short),....and they will barrel my action with an M40a1 barrel which is what I want. But she's throwing me off with these screwy dimensions. I just want to be sure she ain't trying to sell me no standard Remington heavy barrel. I have one of those already and it sucks. The chamber is waayyyyy long/ deep,...and I have hell getting 1 moa with my best slow handload. I don't want another one of those crappy barrels...lol. I gotta research some more, but it looks like all the old service photos I look at, the muzzle end is huge,...it seems to be like 1.22 all the way from the breech to the muzzle.

I'm not trying to build a PURE m40,.....I don't care about the bottom metal and serials and all that,....but I DO want the correct barrel. Preferably a good match chambered 1/10.

I got a Schneider M40 contract barrel for the A1 that Raven Rifles just did for me. I haven’t been able to complete the process of zeroing due to my work schedule but it aeems to have excellent accuracy (precision?) potential. It has the correct contour unless I have been seriously misled. Of course you would still have to have it chambered and installed.

I’ve spoke with Karen at Hart and ordered several barrels for my A1s with 0 problems. Top notch people to deal with. They supplied the USMC with barrels at one time for the A1 rifles. Gary Schnieder is also a easy person to deal with, I’ve spoken with him several times on the phone and he is always helpful.

Yes, when I did mine the correct barrel was a Schneider contract barrel from Gary himself. He was super helpful. And if I remember the outside machining was rougher then normal and he was telling me that's how the USMC wants them..lol I forget the details but he liked talking on the phone.

I'm going to put a belland Carlson m40 stock on my Remington varmint 308,...and I'll be right up there with you fellows! It shoots pretty good patterns right now to 100 yards, but I'm going to try and do some 1000 yards shots pretty soon when I can find a place. I never shot past aboput 150 yards, but I think the scope I have it shouldn't be a problem shooting to 1000 yards.

I have a leather sling with the holes in it too that I'm going to put on it to add for realism, you know to make it look even more real. It's old and worn out a little but it looks neat. I can't find one of those unertl scopes anywhere I look. Optics planet don't have them.

We all know the M40A1 is a great rifle but we also often lament the lack of a bipod point.

A fine gentleman over at M40Rifle.com built a run of bipod studs that will thread into a Witchita boss.

Remove your spec sling loop, screw in the bipod stud, attach Harris, carry on.

The manufacturer is down to his last few.

More info here

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40a1/32588-interested-in-bipod-stud-for-m40a1-wichita-s

if anyone would want this accessory.

Reactions: blcouch
My "Return stock" rifle. I mounted a 3X9 Viet Nam era Redfield with Tombstone. I made this one the way I wanted it. I call it the "Green Rifle"...

Attachments

• Feb 2016.jpg
    Feb 2016.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 255
This is my favourite thread on the Hide, as old as the M40a1 is I still think it is about the best there ever was,

John,

M40a1 sure as hell wasn't a 26" barrel?!?!??!...and the Hart barrel is also a 1/12 twist barrel. To me ,...it just sounds like a run of the mill shit varmint barrel that Hart is trying to pass off as an m40a1 barrel?

Those are the CORRECT dimensions for a blank barrel, before the gunsmith threads it and cuts it down at the crown. The FINISHED dimensions are what you probably have in mind. Once threaded and cut, the 26" barrel will become a 24" barrel. And since the muzzle end got cut back a couple inches, the diameter will be a bit larger. Closer to 0.92" at the new muzzle. Hart knows what they're doing!

Reactions: SethJ
I took Reyvn out Saturday afternoon and ran rounds 16-33 through her. Ammo was FGMM 175. This was the first session on the flat range which is 104 yds. I had previously shot from the second floor of the garage which is a 92 yard overground distance and about a 94 yard hypotenuse. I noticed I still need to come right on the MST to have a perfect zero but I wanted to get rounds downrange and as long as the groups were decent I had decided to keep shooting. The target pics with my thumb were taken while the targets were on the stand. The one without my thumb has 1”squares so no need for a reference. The target pics with the calipers were taken at the kitchen table when I had the calipers so the orientation of the groups looks funny but keep in mind that in reality all groups except the first were slightly left and a hair low of center.

My position wasn’t ideal. I had a bipod braced against a board out front and a poly bead bag on a leather sand bag at the rear.

First three. Cold gun, cold shooter
1E1F5786-F3F9-48F7-933B-C89AD9E245D6.jpeg

Five
7A393C4D-6B9B-4EBC-8A77-D9537FD0DC13.jpeg

Beauty shot out of order
7D71AD5C-E128-49A4-B0D8-259329F1FAF8.jpeg

Second 5
6C51916A-5453-4501-BE72-D6AD1CECACA9.jpeg

Third 5
F802539A-E50A-4DB5-9EC6-7CEA45DA9EF1.jpeg
C2FC11A6-F917-4534-87DE-720CA92669F6.jpeg
AC2F0E28-7BEA-4B2F-BE5E-C8B958D50F49.jpeg
0C964C78-ADF1-4ABC-8DE5-19C91FBC5EDB.jpeg
AE01B7A0-62BC-4F41-9200-7ACC59D9959D.jpeg

Last edited:
For those interested in a trigger for an M40A1 without heavy modifications, this information may be helpful. I built a rifle on a this Return stock 2 years ago. I replaced the Timney trigger (installed new when the rifle was built) with a TriggerTech trigger. The Timney trigger failed. I am not interested in a Remington era trigger from back in the day.
With the TriggerTech trigger I had to grind down the bolt release on the trigger for it to seat properly. Other than that, the new trigger fit perfectly. I like this one for the grooved trigger surface for finger pad placement. Time will tell how well the new trigger works out. There may be other triggers out there that I am unaware of that will fit in a return stock without heavy modifications. This is just an option.
No, I am not affiliated with TriggerTech.

Attachments

• Trigger 2.jpg
    Trigger 2.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 144
For those interested in a trigger for an M40A1 without heavy modifications, this information may be helpful. I built a rifle on a this Return stock 2 years ago. I replaced the Timney trigger (installed new when the rifle was built) with a TriggerTech trigger. The Timney trigger failed. I am not interested in a Remington era trigger from back in the day.
With the TriggerTech trigger I had to grind down the bolt release on the trigger for it to seat properly. Other than that, the new trigger fit perfectly. I like this one for the grooved trigger surface for finger pad placement. Time will tell how well the new trigger works out. There may be other triggers out there that I am unaware of that will fit in a return stock without heavy modifications. This is just an option.
No, I am not affiliated with TriggerTech.
Good to know, thanks for the post.

At the risk of committing sacrilege, a question: How was the LOP/Eye Relief issue dealt with by A1 users historically? I ask because one thing I have encountered is that due to the limited range of adjustment in setting the scope in the mount, I find it challenging to get a good eye relief/cheek weld fore and aft without feeling like I’m straining to hold a position and it seems like that situation isn’t conducive to maximum accuracy. Were the A1 stocks ever shortened or would it horrific to have McM shorten my stock a bit, or is this one of those things you just have to deal with with the A1?

At the risk of committing sacrilege, a question: How was the LOP/Eye Relief issue dealt with by A1 users historically? I ask because one thing I have encountered is that due to the limited range of adjustment in setting the scope in the mount, I find it challenging to get a good eye relief/cheek weld fore and aft without feeling like I’m straining to hold a position and it seems like that situation isn’t conducive to maximum accuracy. Were the A1 stocks ever shortened or would it horrific to have McM shorten my stock a bit, or is this one of those things you just have to deal with with the A1?

Im guessing you find the length of pull too long?

Hmm, Im likely considered at the low end of normal spectrum err let me rephrase that....at 5'10" or so Im not a big human being yet I find I can get into the scope comfortably at the bench or prone.

I did buid the comb and just recently added a Triad Stock pack furher building the comb but I havent found fore and aft limited by the rings or the LOP.

If it was a bigger issue the Marines would have experienced it as they also likely were wearing armor when fielding the rifle.

It will be interesting info to hear how others have met this challenge.

Without being a guru on rifle knowledge I’d say yes to too long a LOP. When settled comfortably on the stock the ocular is too far away. This is the only rifle I’ve ever had this issue with. Winchester M70 Heavy Varmint, Rem700 VS, Rem700 5R milspec, SR25 with A2 stock and a 40x in the XB stock(and an HTG stock) are the fixed stock rifles I own/have owned and I never had any trouble with them. Funny thing is that when the 40x was in the same stock(but different scope) that is on the A1I didn’t have any issues. I’m pretty sure it’s down to the amount of rearward travel is capable with the MST in the A1 scope mount. I’m really torn on correctness vs user interface but the thought of a PIC rail and rings on the MST has crossed my mind to ease shootability.

Build a second Raven in the M40A1ish steampunk style.

Worked for me.

Got the parts in hand for a M40 build.

The preferred builder is no longer building.

Who can do a proper build these days? Who can cut a legit clip slot/thumb relief spec build?

I dunno if there would be much interest, but I'm a leather craftsman. I used to have a big shop here in Cottonport, Avoyelles Parish. I'm thinking I might make my own sling when it comes time for my build,...that way I can distress it,..give it an antiqued finish etc....

All I've ever seen is some cheap China knockoffs for the slings.......I can make hella good quality one if anybody ever wants. I gotta look at some period pics and get some more info on them however.

Turner makes a mil spec sling in USA.

Ron Brown makes a beyond mil spec, built like a brick shit house sling. Made in USA.

Check out both of those offerings when you are planning your business model.

Im sure yours will be beautiful but they are ready to go competition you can buy off the shelf right now.

What would be good is if you offered repair or rebuild services.

"Hey my MRT orTurner broke, Ive got all the sling metal can you build me a new sling?"

Got the parts in hand for a M40 build.

The preferred builder is no longer building.

Who can do a proper build these days? Who can cut a legit clip slot/thumb relief spec build?

M40 or M40A1?
Both can be done at GAP, but need to specify you want the M40 clip slotting vs the M40A1 if that is what you are looking for. GAP can also do the US stamp and proper barrel markings if doing a M40 build.

M40 or M40A1?
Both can be done at GAP, but need to specify you want the M40 clip slotting vs the M40A1 if that is what you are looking for. GAP can also do the US stamp and proper barrel markings if doing a M40 build.

M40.

Is GAP bluing and parkerizing these days?

Park and cerakote are done in house.
For the M40 the barrel and action can be parked there, but the bolt would need to be sent out for bluing.

I have one of the MaWhinney M40 over runs GAP did a great job on the bedding.

GA does absolutely supreme work. Feels like I just checked it out of the armory. And Iactually carried an A1 in Iraq. In 2005. That is until another guys Mod 0s’ mildots melted while still on the wire. So he got my scope. Everyone else had an A3 with USO Mods or Mod 1s. One guy actually Used his own Leupold M1 Mk-4 in country. I got mine for just over 5Gs already put together, GA rifle, correct ring/mount, MST 100. All never fired........I’m just a lowly swine. Never went to school. But, now I have a few rifles from when I used to be dangerous. After my children, my M40A1 is my most valued possession. If I were homeless and needed to eat, I would not sell it.

Attachments

• E14CF33E-BCF1-444F-820C-EDB4F5DD604F.jpeg
    E14CF33E-BCF1-444F-820C-EDB4F5DD604F.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 333
I just heard that u. s. optics is making another run of the mst 100 believe it or not. Those that still want one can call Becky and get on the list.