• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

I love my m40 build at the time I couldn't get a mst100 so I did what I thought was right and got a uso st-10 dont bash me too hard lol
Screenshot_20181130-151055_Facebook.jpg

Mark does excellent work. My A1 he built is the best rifle I have ever owned and the most accurate I have ever shot. I’ll elaborate on my McM adjustable spacer install debacle later.

Last edited:
I'm on the lookout for "accessories" and "kit" to go along with my M40A1. Doesn't have to be actual items, I don't mind knock offs or items that look similar or look like they would fit.

Well, I've been wanting an M40A1 replica/tribute rifle for about 3 years. I acquired a Unertl 10x scope and M40A1 mount in 2018, but needed an M40A1 'return stock' to make the project a priority. After some gentle persuasion, a local buddy decided to take pity on me, and let me buy his loose return stock. (His other return stocks were built into rifles).

Like many of the originals stocks, this one has been painted and the improvised cheek rest that was taped onto the stock was removed, exposing the original forest camo pattern under the paint. I'll probably add an improvised cheek piece with some tan-colored duct tape to 'restore' its configuration while in service.

Interestingly, this stock has a black buttpad that was used on some of the late stocks. Serial # in channel matches bottom metal. Now I just need to find a proper "C" or "E" prefix Remington M700 receiver with matching bolt...and then decide on a builder. Here are the parts collected thus far (using a T-series Unertl scope and what is probably a TMA repo mount, and trying to keep this build within a budget):

W6QqIGR.jpg

Its not a smear stock, but I'm glad to finally have acquired an M40A1 return stock. I've been wanting one for quite some time....

Attachments

• M40A1_parts_022019.jpg
    M40A1_parts_022019.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Well, I've been wanting an M40A1 replica/tribute rifle for about 3 years. I acquired a Unertl 10x scope and M40A1 mount in 2018, but needed an M40A1 'return stock' to make the project a priority. After some gentle persuasion, a local buddy decided to take pity on me, and let me buy his loose return stock. (His other return stocks were built into rifles).

Like many of the originals stocks, this one has been painted and the improvised cheek rest that was taped onto the stock was removed, exposing the original forest camo pattern under the paint. I'll probably add an improvised cheek piece with some tan-colored duct tape to 'restore' its configuration while in service.

Interestingly, this stock has a black buttpad that was used on some of the late stocks. Serial # in channel matches bottom metal. Now I just need to find a proper "C" or "E" prefix Remington M700 receiver with matching bolt...and then decide on a builder. Here are the parts collected thus far (using a T-series Unertl scope and repo mount, and trying to keep this build within a budget):

W6QqIGR.jpg

Its not a smear stock, but I'm glad to finally have acquired an M40A1 return stock. I've been wanting one for quite some time....
Your picture didn't show up...
Looking forward to seeing more of this project for sure!!!
DW

So after accidentally putting a hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution in my eye by accident (my dominant eye even :p ) I decided to head to the range. Beautiful day and have the entire range to myself! Almost no wind, 5°C, and barely a cloud in the sky!

My 100 yard group wasn't that great but after 10 rounds I turned it into one large ragged hole :D

My 215 yard groups averaged just over 1/2 MOA. I've done better but I'm using my eye as an excuse

Attachments

• DSC_3296.JPG
    DSC_3296.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC_3297.JPG
    DSC_3297.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC_3299.JPG
    DSC_3299.JPG
    471.8 KB · Views: 317
  • group.jpg
    group.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 288
  • group200.jpg
    group200.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 281
So after accidentally putting a hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution in my eye by accident (my dominant eye even :p ) I decided to head to the range. Beautiful day and have the entire range to myself! Almost no wind, 5°C, and barely a cloud in the sky!

My 100 yard group wasn't that great but after 10 rounds I turned it into one large ragged hole :D

My 215 yard groups averaged just over 1/2 MOA. I've done better but I'm using my eye as an excuse
Just a quick question, do you have two screws on the left side of your action towards the rear,, if so, what are they, I see them on Gap web site if I blow the picture up??? Thanks. Charlie112

Just a quick question, do you have two screws on the left side of your action towards the rear,, if so, what are they, I see them on Gap web site if I blow the picture up??? Thanks. Charlie112

They were on the older receivers to mount a match peep sight

So after spending all morning at the hospital dealing with tests I went to the range with a friend to relax. It's nice having someone that forces you to push yourself.

He keeps saying he's not that great of a shooter but I've been arguing with him on that fact and I think today I've proven it. He brought out his Remington 700 AAC-SD with a Vortex 6-24 PST in 308 and I of course brought out my M40A1. He didn't have any good ammo, just some Federal Power-Shok 150gr... you know, the Blue Box lowest of the low. With it he managed to pull off this 4 shot group (he was so amazed as was I he forgot to shoot his 5th round).

j2qwD20.jpg

So I had to step up my game and started thinking of all the excuses I could muster. I shot my first round and it was 2 inches high. I immediately though something was going on with my gun since I had been doing random bullseyes before this. I told him I figured I pulled my shot and took a second... and it went through the same hole. I was wondering what was going on when he looked over and asked me, "Is your scope set for 200 yards?". Sure enough I looked and the dial on my MST-100 was still set at "2". Oops! I figured I'd just leave it there and shot my last three rounds and pulled out this 100 yard group.

ftfOXB7.jpg

All in all it was a good day although the sun disappeared soon after we started shooting. We had a lot of fun and I hope we can go out again.

I call this picture "Grandpa and Grandson" :p

2nRM5Ej.jpg

So after spending all morning at the hospital dealing with tests I went to the range with a friend to relax. It's nice having someone that forces you to push yourself.

He keeps saying he's not that great of a shooter but I've been arguing with him on that fact and I think today I've proven it. He brought out his Remington 700 AAC-SD with a Vortex 6-24 PST in 308 and I of course brought out my M40A1. He didn't have any good ammo, just some Federal Power-Shok 150gr... you know, the Blue Box lowest of the low. With it he managed to pull off this 4 shot group (he was so amazed as was I he forgot to shoot his 5th round).

j2qwD20.jpg

So I had to step up my game and started thinking of all the excuses I could muster. I shot my first round and it was 2 inches high. I immediately though something was going on with my gun since I had been doing random bullseyes before this. I told him I figured I pulled my shot and took a second... and it went through the same hole. I was wondering what was going on when he looked over and asked me, "Is your scope set for 200 yards?". Sure enough I looked and the dial on my MST-100 was still set at "2". Oops! I figured I'd just leave it there and shot my last three rounds and pulled out this 100 yard group.

ftfOXB7.jpg

All in all it was a good day although the sun disappeared soon after we started shooting. We had a lot of fun and I hope we can go out again.

I call this picture "Grandpa and Grandson" :p

2nRM5Ej.jpg

Pictures?

Fellows,
Just a quick question, I have been thinking of gathering parts for a M40 build. One thing I already have is a REDFIELD mount, short action, from my 1974 REMINGTON. Is this the mount I would need?? This mount takes the split rings you twist lock .....THANKS

Fellows,
Just a quick question, I have been thinking of gathering parts for a M40 build. One thing I already have is a REDFIELD mount, short action, from my 1974 REMINGTON. Is this the mount I would need?? This mount takes the split rings you twist lock .....THANKS
I guess not.....

I guess not.....

Depends onn how accurate you want to be.

Real attention to detail requires a 40X marked Redfield base with square corners.

You could use a Redfield 700 SA with scalloped corners but that doesnt have as much cool factor. I am using one on my in current process build.

My already built M40 mounts a Badger repro of the 40X base.

You didnt post any pictures so its tough to answer if what you have will work.

Let me rephrase that....It will probably work, just depends on how M40 you want to be.

Depends onn how accurate you want to be.

Real attention to detail requires a 40X marked Redfield base with square corners.

You could use a Redfield 700 SA with scalloped corners but that doesnt have as much cool factor. I am using one on my in current process build.

My already built M40 mounts a Badger repro of the 40X base.

You didnt post any pictures so its tough to answer if what you have will work.

Let me rephrase that....It will probably work, just depends on how M40 you want to be.
Thanks, I am going to look into the 40x base from badger, I will hang on to my scalloped base. Charlie112

Thanks, I am going to look into the 40x base from badger, I will hang on to my scalloped base. Charlie112

The Badger M40 base is a good part.

Sucks I think they are discontinuing them.

It is $130 or so bucks though.

If you have a 700SA in hand Im guessing the look has a monetary value to you.

The Marines never used a Badger M40 repro in service but they did use 700SA.

The Badger M40 base is a good part.

Sucks I think they are discontinuing them.

It is $130 or so bucks though.

If you have a 700SA in hand Im guessing the look has a monetary value to you.

The Marines never used a Badger M40 repro in service but they did use 700SA.
Copy on hard to get.....I do like the looks of the Badger. Do you think anyone will build the M40 BASE like Badger?? I like things to look correct, or as close as possible.

Copy on hard to get.....I do like the looks of the Badger. Do you think anyone will build the M40 BASE like Badger?? I like things to look correct, or as close as possible.

Badger got the closest look but the Torx screw heads kind of throw it off.

You can find a 40X. Probably cost you $300 complete with numbered rings.

It kind of sounded like the G prefix was not part of the A1 series, but came later. But then I came across this post and that sounds like they might have been installed during repair.

Further comments welcomed.

Possible,but unlikely.
E series were the lat batch purchased for the A1 series.

What great rifles!! I have a GAP Eric Reid build on a return smear stock, MST 100, early very low 3000 serial number scope, which I've had 10-11 years. I let my son use it, actually, it sat in his rack for 5 years, and I just got it back. He's lead gunsmith at Griffin & Howe and wanted to use it for a few events held on their range.
I took it to the range a few days ago and like an old friend was right at home again!!

I also have an M40 A3, also built by Erik Reid, with a marked M8541 S&B/Premier scope.

The A3 is easy to shoot, blindingly accurate, but I love the A1 and MST 100. I really can't put my finger on it, but it just feels right...

I remember ur screen name. BUT ur post is worthless without pics!

Ok, I will look for some or go take a few. And BTW I agree with you these rifles are classically beautiful if you can call a rifle beautiful. And I believe the smear pattern is the best, nothing else like it and you can not duplicate it!! The MST 100 truly is the icing on the cake, again it can not be faked!!

And yes I have been around for a while, really had a time of it when the site changed. I kind of went into my cave and stayed there. Seems like a lot of the flavor has returned, I like it again!!

Damn I just realized I posted this in the A1 thread...

i actually meant it, cool legos. I will never stop liking legos. I thought you were using them to gain elevation under the bipod

Reactions: Stevo86
Ready for the metamorphosis from generic M700 hunting rifle to accurate USMC M40A1 clone....dropping off with builder very soon.

Attachments

• M410A1_project_books_May_2019.jpg
    M410A1_project_books_May_2019.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 333
  • M410A1_project_May_2019.jpg
    M410A1_project_May_2019.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 315
Niece asked me to take her shooting. She then wanted to try Uncle's "sniper rifle". It was of course way too big for her but she still managed to hit a pop bottle twice at 100 yards with it!

Attachments

• DSC_3537-2.jpg
    DSC_3537-2.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_3541-2.jpg
    DSC_3541-2.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 298
PROJECT UPDATE: Metamorphosis is now complete. I picked it up yesterday and mounted the scope last night, so obviously I do not yet have a range report. Here's some pics for anyone interested in a replica of a mid-1990s era M40A1 sniper rifle. (Note: Before anyone asks, the retired builder of this rifle is not taking on any new work).

I hope that one day I might find a good deal on a USMC-issued Unertl scope in good shape and with a patina that matches the return stock's camo paint, and I wouldn't mind a real Unertl scope mount instead of a reproduction part, but in the meantime I'm happy to finally have a nice M40A1 replica for my small collection of sniper rifles.

Attachments

• M40A1_right5_outside.jpg
    M40A1_right5_outside.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 324
  • M40A1_left1_outside.jpg
    M40A1_left1_outside.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 346
  • M40A1_RTE-P_stamp_outside.jpg
    M40A1_RTE-P_stamp_outside.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 275
  • M40A1_scope_base_stamping.jpg
    M40A1_scope_base_stamping.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 318
  • M40A1_left_buttstock_inside1.jpg
    M40A1_left_buttstock_inside1.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 289
  • M40A1_left5_outside.jpg
    M40A1_left5_outside.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 308
  • M40A1_w_M15_tripod.jpg
    M40A1_w_M15_tripod.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 312
  • M40A1_book_pg5.jpg
    M40A1_book_pg5.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 288
Anybody else's MST 100 zero elevation adjustment set screw sit high up like this ? Its zeroed at 100 yds and it tracks fine all the way to 1000 yds. Other than it protruding way out there the scope works fine , just bothers me that its popping up like that. I've had it for years now but I want to see if theres a fix to this. Maybe I zeroed it incorrectly? Any knowledgeable MST 100 users that can chime in , I've not bothered to call USO as I heard a rumor it's a new crew none of the older folks are there anymore that put these together.
20190816_191807.jpg

Anybody else's MST 100 zero elevation adjustment set screw sit high up like this ? Its zeroed at 100 yds and it tracks fine all the way to 1000 yds. Other than it protruding way out there the scope works fine , just bothers me that its popping up like that. I've had it for years now but I want to see if theres a fix to this. Maybe I zeroed it incorrectly? Any knowledgeable MST 100 users that can chime in , I've not bothered to call USO as I heard a rumor it's a new crew none of the older folks are there anymore that put these together.
View attachment 7131440
Negative... I have two and they are both countersunk.
DW