• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

My uso and unertl are countersunk, also instructions say to zero at 300 yards if I’m not mistaken.

I'll take it back out to the range and reset my zero starting at 300 yds. See if that changes anything . Thanks

The screw was too long , the guys over at the M40 forum figured it out , had me measure mine and it was .10 " too long ,so i chopped that off and it's good now . Zeroed it at 300 yes yesterday aswell.

With the correct A1 stock, Piller bedded and action bedded, the action screws/bolt is 65 inch pounds.
I will see if I can find an article. Standbyyyy !!!

Here is the confirmation Al.

M40A1 torque depends on who built it and how it was built. 55 in. Lbs. to 65 in. Lbs. depending on whether or not it has Aluminum pillars.
In short, Aluminum pillars means 65 inch lbs. No aluminum pillars 55 inch lbs. I hope that helps.

Opened up one of my old gear bags and found a Kabar at the bottom. Every M40A1 needs a Kabar :LOL:

DSC_3733_tonemapped.jpg

Seeing that today is both the USMCs and my birthday- figured this would be fitting. Snagged another return stock on Friday from a 100% solid member here (thanks again man) I'll be building an early gun off of this one with either a Redfield 3x9 or Weaver T10. View attachment 7180681View attachment 7180683View attachment 7180684

Wow that must be an early one.

No concept of camouflage. Just dragging a booger hook coated with color through the mold.

Awesome looking stock!

Reactions: m1marty
Still poking away at my early a1 build. Hart barrel on order, found a Denver era Accu-Range, parkerized the rings and base the other day (welding next) and still searching for the right 6 digit. Getting closer.
20200105_130115.jpg
20200105_130134.jpg
20191109_133428.jpg

Still poking away at my early a1 build. Hart barrel on order, found a Denver era Accu-Range, parkerized the rings and base the other day (welding next) and still searching for the right 6 digit. Getting closer.
View attachment 7218201View attachment 7218203View attachment 7218204

The A1 transitionals also used 700SA bases, so there's no need to weld up the corners (unless you like the squared corner look). Some 40X bases even had rounded corners, so it's a mixed bag on appearance. Just make sure you have 4 welds per ring, don't weld the windage screws to the base, and you'll have to mill out the front ring in order to access the front receiver screw. Here's a few pics of an original USMC welded 700SA mount:

Also, that finger smear stock is absolutely beautiful!

The A1 transitionals also used 700SA bases, so there's no need to weld up the corners (unless you like the squared corner look). Some 40X bases even had rounded corners, so it's a mixed bag on appearance. Just make sure you have 4 welds per ring, don't weld the windage screws to the base, and you'll have to mill out the front ring in order to access the front receiver screw. Here's a few pics of an original USMC welded 700SA mount:

Also, that finger smear stock is absolutely beautiful!

The welding of the rings is the plan (leaving the chipped corners) Great info/pics- thank you!

Was that the last four on the stock? Was this your service rifle or clone rifle? pics help

From Dick Davis at McMillan stocks.....

The early so called “smear” patterns were made with the old semi-translucent dye based color concentrates and were only produced for about the first two years of production, from about 1974 thru 1976 (about 200 stocks). Then the more opaque milled color concentrates became available in about 1977 and all the subsequent stocks thru the early 1990’s were made with them ( about 800 stocks). The camo pattern is the “Forest Camo” color, not the Woodland camo.

Regards, McMillans

Was that the last four on the stock? Was this your service rifle or clone rifle? pics help

Mine? It was a GAP built clone on a field painted smear stock. 5899 were the last 4 of the E prefix serial number and the MST100 was also special ordered numbers matching 5899.

I posted a WTB ad in the exchange and would consider another rifle if someone had one to offer. My biggest regret in life was letting that rifle go.

I figured I would add a little to this thread. I had to grab a random bipod for the A5 for the photos. I also included a demilled retirement/presentation m40a1 into the pictures. This has been the culmination of years of collecting a part here and there.

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    691.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    683.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    735.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
I figured I would add a little to this thread. I had to grab a random bipod for the A5 for the photos. I also included a demilled retirement/presentation m40a1 into the pictures. This has been the culmination of years of collecting a part here and there.

SUPER NICE! Are the A4 stocks both issued stocks? I'd sure like to find a 8541 scope like that, but the last one that I was offered was out of what I could afford at the time. Where in TN are ya, I'm in Nashville.

Does anyone have a link to the unertl manual? The old drop box link I had saved is no longer working and the drive I had it on is gone.

Got my rifle a year ago and sadly haven't been able to do much aside from sighting it in. Got swamped with work, but hoping to dial in a load and take it on a few hunting trips this year.

SUPER NICE! Are the A4 stocks both issued stocks? I'd sure like to find a 8541 scope like that, but the last one that I was offered was out of what I could afford at the time. Where in TN are ya, I'm in Nashville.
Yes sir. I was outside Memphis. Thanks!

Reactions: Pinmaster
Ive been going back and forth on what to do recently. If anyone happens to have a return stock for me to build on for reasonable monies, please PM me. I am starting from scratch and will be needing all parts but figure the stock will be tough to find another thats worthy of Nellies replacement.

Ive been going back and forth on what to do recently. If anyone happens to have a return stock for me to build on for reasonable monies, please PM me. I am starting from scratch and will be needing all parts but figure the stock will be tough to find another thats worthy of Nellies replacement.

Good luck, but I'm not sure those statements go together. :)

Reactions: mcm308
I think it was 2008, I believe I paid 1300 for that stock up in those pictures from member JasonK. It was extremely nice with intact swivels and original bottom metal.

And then to continue my cost at the time,
USO MST100, 3000
USO base, 350
Schneider barrel, 300
And then paying George at GAP to build. I think that was 2G, i forget.

If I can do this, I want to use the Unertl and we will see how much the total runs me this time around.

Last edited:
Is Gary still putting out the rough finish barrels? I use to spend alot of time talking to him on the phone. He loved to talk!

Does anyone have a link to the unertl manual? The old drop box link I had saved is no longer working and the drive I had it on is gone.

I have a copy of it on my hard drive, Version 2.0, October 2003. It's about 82 MB, so I'm not sure how to get it to you. If anyone had a place I can upload it, I'll be happy to do so.

Dave

Finally pulled the trigger on a 6 digit ADL. Any leads on a mount? Is 2man still making them? I still need the barrel and scope to have everything but the mount is all I can pay for at this point. I'm working out of state or I would post pics of my return forest stock with matching BM, and TG. It looks hardly used as does the doner rifle.

Twoman runs occasional batches of mounts... he may have one available if you contact him. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your project!
DW

Finally pulled the trigger on a 6 digit ADL. Any leads on a mount? Is 2man still making them? I still need the barrel and scope to have everything but the mount is all I can pay for at this point. I'm working out of state or I would post pics of my return forest stock with matching BM, and TG. It looks hardly used as does the doner rifle.

Congrats! Im looking forward to seeing it as well!

I think it was 2008, I believe I paid 1300 for that stock up in those pictures from member JasonK. It was extremely nice with intact swivels and original bottom metal.

And then to continue my cost at the time,
USO MST100, 3000
USO base, 350
Schneider barrel, 300
And then paying George at GAP to build. I think that was 2G, i forget.

If I can do this, I want to use the Unertl and we will see how much the total runs me this time around.
Do you happen to remember if the Jason you purchased that stock from went by Tuntaverngrunt??

Reactions: TUNTAVERNGRUNT
Do you happen to remember if the Jason you purchased that stock from went by Tuntaverngrunt??

His screen name was JasonK. I don't know. I've been out of the loop for a long time. I literally just went through this thread front to back. A lot of great information over the years. A lot of those guys don't seem to be around anymore.

Just ordered my mount from 2manattack. Thank you sir! Still have a long wait before I can complete. That scope is well beyond my reach.

The only thing I can say is just try to acquire the scope as soon as possible. Put it at the top of the list before paying to have the rifle built. The scopes are out there now but just like the stocks, the day will come when they are not and will be extremely difficult to find. Its a wonderful thing that we can now own the real deal ISSUED Unertl USMC SNIPER 10x!!! Freakin unheard of 10-12 years ago!!

For some reason, I can almost envision a couple old timer Marines crackin open a seabox or something down in Quantico laughin and gigglin knowing the box is worth a gold mine.. Maybe that story would come out some day how it all came about. Would love to hear that one!

What do you suppose the chances are of USO making another batch? Not that I have the funds anyway. And the CMP appears closed these days.