• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build guide

Re: M40a1 build guide

Got the call a few minutes ago....... The M40A1 is done! Gonna go pick it up in a few hours.

Detailed pictures or it didn't happen
laugh.gif

A couple of shitty pics.

My M40A1, all done up by Goeff Corn. Im tickled shitless to say the least. All I need is the MST100...

M40A3040.jpg

M40A3039.jpg

M40A3041.jpg

M40A3042.jpg

Not certain that Schneider had the contract till the A3's. Maybe at the very end. As much as I hate to say; most were HS Precision's.

Can someone post a pic of the fit up/gap between the barrel and the end of the forearm ?

This would be for an early smear pattern.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to George in some of the first posts Douglas, Hart, HS Precision, Schneider and Atkinson all supplied barrels for the M40A1 during it's life span. Would be interesting to know in what years and in what quantities??? </div></div>

Spoke with Gary Schneider this morning about the barrels. The A1 used barrels from different makers as mentioned before. He was one of them. He said the A1 and A3 barrels are the same contour so the A3 barrel would be "correct" for an A1 build. I told him I got one of the return stocks. He said Dick Davis called and asked him if he wanted any of them at the time... He passed on them... Also said He was there one time and McMillan had them all in big round cardboard tubes... An old Marine was in there rooting through them and happen to find the stock he was issued and purchased it on the spot. When I told him one just sold on ebay for 1575, I think he almost took a dump! It was quite an interesting conversation !

I maybe wrong but I believe the only time they used Schneider was when he got the contract for the A3's and they may have rebarreled existing A1's. Fresh build, especially smear patterns; probably didn't wear Schneider's. The Marines didn't used to prefer buttoned tube's. They dabled w/ different makers but HS was the main supplier on A1's and Atkisson was the first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I maybe wrong but I believe the only time they used Schneider was when he got the contract for the A3's and they may have rebarreled existing A1's. Fresh build, especially smear patterns; probably didn't wear Schneider's. The Marines didn't used to prefer buttoned tube's. They dabled w/ different makers but HS was the main supplier on A1's and Atkisson was the first. </div></div>
Turk, FWIW I asked Scheider about that, he told me some of his barrels WERE used to back fit/rebuild A1s. That is why I got one of his barrels to finish my build.

I couldnt find the picture thread, so feel free to move this there.This is my semi clone that I got back from Randy at R&D this last July.Early return smear from third batch from McMillan,Schneider #7 1/11 5P at 24"
308.Cant tell you how pleased I am with everything about Randy and his work.
This rifle makes it very hard to develope a load as they all shoot stupid strait.WOW!Thanks again to Randy
P1010039.jpg

P1010041.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010042.jpg
P1010046.jpg

Said in the past, but again. The smears are the nices stocks that have come out of McMillan. I love how random they are, yet not as small as the marble as they have now. I'd love for them to make a "finger print" style stock to be offered again. I love the pattern style. Good pic.
Chad

I came across an older remington 700 ADL with a jeweled bolt. Is that going to affect whatever coating i decide to finish the reciever in? Also what do you guys think of Duracoat? would that be suitable for finishing the rifle in?

The factory finish on the ADL should not make any difference if you do the refinish job the right way, the parts to be redone need to be media blasted before the spray and bake gets done. I used some scotch brite to polish out the jeweling on both of my Remington 700 bolts, the jeweling is not deep into the steel on these. There are quite a few opinions about the various spray on finishes available, I have used and prefer Norrells Moly Resin for most work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Said in the past, but again. The smears are the nices stocks that have come out of McMillan. I love how random they are, yet not as small as the marble as they have now. I'd love for them to make a "finger print" style stock to be offered again. I love the pattern style. Good pic.
Chad </div></div>

Mr. Schneider told me in conversation that Gale McMillan use to make the smear stocks in his garage...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Said in the past, but again. The smears are the nices stocks that have come out of McMillan. I love how random they are, yet not as small as the marble as they have now. I'd love for them to make a "finger print" style stock to be offered again. I love the pattern style. Good pic.
Chad </div></div>

Mr. Schneider told me in conversation that Gale McMillan use to make the smear stocks in his garage... </div></div>

That's ok, John Unertl put the coating on the 10X parts in his kitchen on the stove in a big pot of boiling teflon or whatever he was using at the time!

If anyone has a spare set of the Redfield rings & base I am in the market as I just scored a Redfield Accurange w/tombstone reticle for my build. This is the last part I need! Can anyone help a fella out? Thanks!

*also posted in the WTB section....

All my parts should be arriving at George's place today or tomorrow ! I can't friggin' wait any longer. I always wanted an M40A1 and now I'm getting it. All parts are had except the recoil lug that George has. MST-100 is payed in full and the $$ to build the clone is in the bank ! It's a waitin' game !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All my parts should be arriving at George's place today or tomorrow ! I can't friggin' wait any longer. I always wanted an M40A1 and now I'm getting it. All parts are had except the recoil lug that George has. MST-100 is payed in full and the $$ to build the clone is in the bank ! It's a waitin' game ! </div></div>

I sent most of my parts in Last July... Still waiting... It is hard! I have a clinic first weekend in April I was hoping to be able to use it at.... But I am not keeping my hopes up. Besides, USO hasnt sent out any of the MST100's yet... I know it had been clip slotted and barreled and was in the lineup for bedding back around the start of the year. Oh man I cant wait! It has been a long but worth while wait!

Geez, I HOPE the current wait time is not that long. I know the A1 requires alot of detail work but I think I'll end up a little koo-koo by the time the wait is over...lol

alright im new here and 16 i know oh no a dumb teenager but anywho i was at my gramps house and knew he had an older rem 700 and aked if i could see it and i was speechless when i saw the redfield scope and base and the clip slot and even the short bolt shroud and thesafety knob and then i saw the serial # and was realy speechless when i saw the letters U.S. so yea i thought that was cool and i hope to inherit it so yea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rc-junky007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alright im new here and 16 i know oh no a dumb teenager but anywho i was at my gramps house and knew he had an older rem 700 and aked if i could see it and i was speechless when i saw the redfield scope and base and the clip slot and even the short bolt shroud and thesafety knob and then i saw the serial # and was realy speechless when i saw the letters U.S. so yea i thought that was cool and i hope to inherit it so yea. </div></div>

So you're saying that your gramps has a stolen USMC M40 sniper rifle stashed in his closet????? What is his name and address? I would have been confused with the U.S. and thought it was US. However, with the only 2 periods you used in this entire statement being after the U and the S it makes it evident that it means U.S. Marine Corp property then, correct?

Son, love to get young people involved in shooting and especially the history of our Armed Forces but please don't come on here making statements like this from the gitgo or your acceptance here isn't going to go well. A big majority of the members here are past or present service members and while some may have ridden on turnip trucks there are damn few who have fallen off one!!!!! Unless you can verify THIS statement via pics or any other comments, statements you make in posts here through pics, experiences or whatever <span style="font-weight: bold"> we don't take lies and bullshit real well on this forum.</span>

Remember, first impressions are very important in life. Just because it is the internet don't mean BS is easy to spread!!!!

Respectfully,
Dennis </div></div>

Well said! I hope that he will learn here and not burn here.

he should, there is a wealth of knowledge on here i've learned alot in a short time
thanks again and keep it coming... ( some funny shit too )
regards, Dave

Has anyone else here been getting further along on their M40a1 project?

I have finally been able to restart my build but it’s been slow going. I was able to thread my barrel, lap the bolt lugs, surface the recoil lug, and square the receiver, etc., a couple of months ago and had the opportunity to finally chamber and crown the barrel yesterday. I also test fired it for function and was pleased with the condition of the brass: no bulges, frosting, or any other bad signs. The case still looked practically new & unfired. I’m having the mag box welded to the receiver tomorrow. I should have the trigger & bolt release modified by this weekend too.

I’m no gunsmith or machinist so it has been a little tough getting our scheduling to coincide with my friend & I but I think we’re on a roll now. I have had all the parts for over a year but other things always seem to pop up. I’m hoping that I’ll have some groups to show in short order. I’ll leave it “in the white” for a while until I’m able to get it metal finished but at least I’ll be able to shoot the darned thing!

P3150007.JPG

P3150017.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found the correct Refield base at Brownells. Anyone have a source for Medium or Low Redfield Bottom Screw Rings???? </div></div>

Bill check on ebay I've seen a few there,also at one time someone had a set of the bottom screws in the FS section.

Whoo hoo!!!! Tracy called and let me know mine is ready and on the way!!!!! I cant freaking wait!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoo hoo!!!! Tracy called and let me know mine is ready and on the way!!!!! I cant freaking wait!!!!!!!! </div></div>

How long did it take ?? I GOT'S to KNOW...
laugh.gif

Congrats!

I sent in most of the parts last July..... It has been a long but worth while wait! I will post some pics when it gets here!

Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone can tell me how the front screw on the trigger guard is secured to the stock. Do the spec builds have a steel insert put into the stock that the screw mates up with or does the screw just go directly into the stock (finger tight I assume if this is the case)?? If anyone's got a pic to illustrate this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: highspeedlowdrag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone can tell me how the front screw on the trigger guard is secured to the stock. Do the spec builds have a steel insert put into the stock that the screw mates up with or does the screw just go directly into the stock (finger tight I assume if this is the case)?? If anyone's got a pic to illustrate this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...
</div></div>
If you are refering to the shortened M70 triggerguard the front screw will line up with the hole in the bottom of the action behind the magazine box. I have read that the thread pattern is the same as what is used to hold a wall plate onto a power outlet in your house. I don't know if your house is in Canada though? The ADL trigger guard on a SA 700 has a screw that goes in this location, the BDL does not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: highspeedlowdrag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

</div></div>
If you are refering to the shortened M70 triggerguard the front screw will line up with the hole in the bottom of the action behind the magazine box. I have read that the thread pattern is the same as what is used to hold a wall plate onto a power outlet in your house. I don't know if your house is in Canada though? The ADL trigger guard on a SA 700 has a screw that goes in this location, the BDL does not.</div></div>

My stock has some type of threads for the front trigger guard screw. The screw that I have is only about 1/2" long or something, it will not reach the action by any stretch. I can take a picture of this tomorrow if need be, but I doubt any return stocks have a hole that will allow the front trigger guard screw to go all the way through...

Dave

Thanks guys. A picture would be great Dave. I don't have a return stock, but I do have a new production stock made up to M40a1 spec, so I don't have the benefit of "reverse engineering" the assembly process. Jack, I do recall reading here about the thread pattern for the small machine screw that is used for the front of the triggerguard. I think it was mentioned that the screw was a 6x32?? Considering the size of the screw, I didn't think it would go all the way through to the action though - hence my question about the possibility of an insert in the stock where the screw might thread into...

Cheers,
Hernan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: highspeedlowdrag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

</div></div>
If you are refering to the shortened M70 triggerguard the front screw will line up with the hole in the bottom of the action behind the magazine box. I have read that the thread pattern is the same as what is used to hold a wall plate onto a power outlet in your house. I don't know if your house is in Canada though? The ADL trigger guard on a SA 700 has a screw that goes in this location, the BDL does not.</div></div>

My stock has some type of threads for the front trigger guard screw. The screw that I have is only about 1/2" long or something, it will not reach the action by any stretch. I can take a picture of this tomorrow if need be, but I doubt any return stocks have a hole that will allow the front trigger guard screw to go all the way through...

Dave </div></div>
Wrong!