• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

matching number on mosin nagant

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
i was just curious if it is common to get one of these and have all the numbers match, i was under the impression it was rare to get them all to match, but after looking at the ones all the guys at work just bought, they all match so i am starting to think it is no big deal. if this is the case i want to change a few things, and also look for a sniper edition, or a nice one with matching numbers to make my own sniper edition

Re: matching number on mosin nagant

For most, it's not a big deal at all.
It's really only "valuable" on a rifle that's rare to begin with.

Most of the refurbs I've seen have matching numbers. However, you need to understand that most of them were re-stamped to match when they were refurbished. So, even if it has matching numbers, it's unlikely that all the parts have been with the rifle since the day it was made.

As for snipers, you can buy a repro for the cost of a vintage scope/mount (PUs, anyway). Doing one yourself is going to be even more expensive, especially if you use vintage scope and mount. It depends on what you want. If just a shooter, get a repro (<$400). If you want an original, I would look at RGuns or ATI ($700-$800). If you want a PE or PEM, the ballgame changes, drastically. $$$

John

thanks guys, that is good info to have. i think i am going to transform this one into a bacon getter. i've seen some nice ones with the synthetic stocks, shortened barrel, maybe scope, bipod. but who knows i may change my mind again, lol

It will kill bacon, just the way it is. Probably even better than if you mess with it.
wink.gif

I am sure I can get tons of bacon. However 4 of the guys I work with went out and bought this rifle, so we all have the same one. I just want to build it up for two reason, first to be different, and second and probably the biggest reason, I really want to learn some stuff so I will make an attempt to do everything myself. And the scary part it my knowledge of rifles is taking apart a m16 and putting it back together, that's about it. This should be a fun journey. Will defiantly be asking lots of questions to you mosin guys.

What year/arsenal is it?

it's a 1942 91/30

also on a side note, it isn't complete, there is no banoet, cleaning rod, rear barrel ring, and cleaning kit, this rifle was giving to me as is

The great thing about MN is almost all of the parts are interchangeable. The bolt from an M44 will fit in a 91/30, the magazine, trigger etc. You can drop a 91/30 into an M44 stock without the hand guard and have a quick and easy sporter. If you want a real Sniper I think Rguns still has some, http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-bolt.shtml they will set you back about $800.

If you just want to sporterize one, there are Boyd stocks, Rock Solid rails, Max_shepperd bolt turn downs, etc.

If you just want to build it back up the rear barrel band and cleaning rod are available on the bay.

As for the 42' it is a wartime rifle, and if it is an Izzy round, then have at it.
First thing I would do would be to slug the bore to see how loose it is. Most surplus ammo is .310, it is not uncommon to find .313 and .314 bores, so unless you reload the groupings may be 3" at best.

Either way they are a cheap and easy fun gun.

some of those are pretty sweet, little out of my price range at this time, but they are nice none the less. not really sure if i am going to build it up or keep it as is, i keep going back and forth

Just grab some ammo and see how it shoots. Some Russian light ball, some prvi, brown bear, maybe Winchster and see how it groups.

Here are a few of mine, just for an idea of different configs.

This one is in a long range configs (of sorts) , it has a Jmeck rail and Weaver scope.

dsc03156800x407640x326.jpg

The other is in a scout config, cheap LER scope, leapers mount on the rear sight dovetail, Boyd stock , chopped to 20"

mnbrush800x386.jpg

The last is my Elk Mosin, ATI stock, Weaver side mount, Redfield 1-4 scope, bbl chopped to 22", trigger work, Bubba'd the mag for a flush fit (only holds 3 rounds though).

dsc04267800x533.jpg

By roggom at 2012-02-10

thanks for posting the pics, i can't see them now(think work cpu is blocking them) i'll check them as soon as i get home. several guys i work with have mosins, so we all bought different ammo, and split it up to test out what each rifle likes

roggom- just got home and saw your rigs WOW those are nice, i really like the 3 round mag modification you did, that looks bad, will have to keep that in mine. the first one you posted, did you refinish the stock or lucky enough to find one that nice. i like how you have couple different set ups for different things. so do you any issue dropping elk with that elk gun?

i am liking this platform more and more as read and learn, i can easily see me having a few of these

If you want one to "collect" look for a Tula Hex or an ex-sniper with all the goodies and shoot it or put it away. They are still available online http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=254&name=Curio+&+Relic+Firearms

http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm

If you are over 21 you can apply for your C&R license, for $35 bucks you can then order the older rifles (50Y) and have them delivered to your door. Also you get dealer discounts at Midway and Grafs and sons.

If you are going to make a sporter and restock it you wont need the barrel band, bayo or cleaning rod.

As for the magazine, I just purchased a complete mag and floorplate from the bay, did some cutting and grinding, had to do some welding, but it works fine. Just that it is shorter so only 3 rounds will fit. I can always put the older mag in with 2 screws, but if I havent dropped the animal after the 3rd shot, its probably gone anyway.

The 7.62x54r is a stout round, it lays between the 308 and the 30-06. With an 180 it is capable of 2690 fps and 2896ftlbs, but my one of my accuracy loads is 2550 fps and 2598 ftlbs which is about 2259 ft lbs out to 100Y. 54r can also be loaded to get way out to 100Y, although it is a lob fest, nothing that accurate.

I have an excellent remmy 700 BDL in 30-06, but just like the 54R for the sport of it. Not all rifles need to cost $1k+ to harvest animals. Just be carful that the budget doesnt go past the cost of a new Remmy, then the point is negated.

Since you are down in Hog country, you may like this video, guy takes a pig at 350Y with a fresh stock MN. The MN are sighted in at about 300m, so if you use your irons at 100 it will shoot high, but that is a discussion for later.

http://youtu.be/xCSDWM0J-L8