• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan Experiment Part 1 - Stock Strength

Re: McMillan Experiment Part 1 - Stock Strength

Every newer rifle I have is outfitted with a McMillan stock. I'm impressed with the video!

I just ordered my first McMillan stock on Monday, can't wait for it to get here. Good to see some "durability testing".

Impressive! I think ill order one! Im soooo tired of my others stocks breaking when I run them over.

jk

Nice video.

You and JBW#3 should team up for a series of "Indetruckable" products. Somewhere are pics of an F-150 parked on top of an SN-3.

Cheers,

Doc

OK UPS tough made me laugh.
grin.gif

You should send me a Remington long action McMillan A5 stock in Gap camo to test. You know, for an unbiased review.
wink.gif

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You and JBW#3 should team up for a series of "Indetruckable" products. Somewhere are pics of an F-150 parked on top of an SN-3.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

They usually have that pic in their gallery but the link doesn't work right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What can brown do for you?</div></div>

See, UPS drivers are useful in many different ways.

So that is how a friend of mine received a scratched up, and bent AICS stock, and had another one lost by UPS... They were driving over them for fun in the parking lots...

McMillanMade, what about putting a barreled action back in that stock and shoot a few groups with it? Then it'll really be just like the USO video.
laugh.gif
Use-Abuse-Use again.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So that is how a friend of mine received a scratched up, and bent AICS stock, and had another one lost by UPS... They were driving over them for fun in the parking lots...

McMillanMade, what about putting a barreled action back in that stock and shoot a few groups with it? Then it'll really be just like the USO video.
laugh.gif
Use-Abuse-Use again.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I have a feeling this video will lead to some more like it. That is why we named it the McMillan Experiment Part 1. Things could get crazy, ya never know. Open to suggestions? SoCalPete, your suggestion is duly noted.

Did anybody think that the stock wouldn't stand up to that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a feeling this video will lead to some more like it. That is why we named it the McMillan Experiment Part 1. Things could get crazy, ya never know. Open to suggestions? SoCalPete, your suggestion is duly noted. </div></div>

Ryan... toss it lightly from a cliff to simulate a drop from a sling or climbing gear.

Yes, Seriously.

Drop about 30 feet onto some rock, something hard like that. I recently saw a good bit of discussion in a thread over at SC about a rifle that dropped during a free climb and unfortunately sustained some damage.

Would be good to demonstrate stock strength in a more practical situation than my local UPS guy running over the rifle that I just happened to leave in the middle of the street
laugh.gif

(partial thread ninja)

I'd like to keep my Tac-50 stock, have you guys started selling the Adjustable cheek rests as a kit for the older Tac-50's?

Man, that is awesome! Can't wait until I get mine!

So what is the compression yeild of the stock? I can run a test on an Instron and let you know.

Rich

We had a blast making that video, can't wait to make some more!

Oddball-Six,

I will make a note of dropping one off a cliff for our next video, that is a good idea. We put this video all together in about 4 hrs in our parking lot here at McMillan. Our UPS guy had the next biggest truck that day over the chevy. We just wanted to see what would happen.

Yes you get what you pay for.
But they're too pricey for me.
Maybe in the long run i might get one.
But definitely impressive

Ok, so hopefully we won't hear any more threads about how company A's stock is so much stronger than company B's. We now know a McM is at least 10X stronger than it needs to be. Who am I kidding, there will be plenty more threads talking about strength.
smile.gif

haha well said Scooter-Pie.

Send me 2 A-5's and I will be happy to post myself going all redneck all over one of them...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You and JBW#3 should team up for a series of "Indetruckable" products. Somewhere are pics of an F-150 parked on top of an SN-3.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

They usually have that pic in their gallery but the link doesn't work right now. </div></div>

uso-1.jpg

uso1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McMillanMade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So that is how a friend of mine received a scratched up, and bent AICS stock, and had another one lost by UPS... They were driving over them for fun in the parking lots...

laugh.gif
Use-Abuse-Use again.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I have a feeling this video will lead to some more like it. That is why we named it the McMillan Experiment Part 1. Things could get crazy, ya never know. Open to suggestions? SoCalPete, your suggestion is duly noted. </div></div>

SocalPete read my mind. When I saw that video, which is very impressive BTW, I thought what would be interesting is to take and action barrel with stock shoot a 5 -10 shots groups. Then at that range take the action and barrel off the stock. Then subject that stock to the torture that you just did. After that, put the action barrel back in, preferrably without any further modification. Then repeat a 5-10 shots group. I would like to see that.

A McMillan A5 is the very FIRST thing I EVER purchased that wasn't an entire Rifle that cost as much as it did! I'm a Stingey MoFo! But I gotta say... I LOVE my A5 and I'm very happy I made the investment! (So is my 40X)
287kglh.jpg

Impressive. A little scary that someone would actually do it. IMHO, the demo was totally unnecessary. I had it from the gent who ran the USMC RTE shop at Quantico sometime mid-90's that they tried to break 'em, couldn't, end of story. When the USMC RTE Shop <span style="font-style: italic">tries</span> to do something, and fails, and admits it, that's convincing enough for me.

Moving on...

Greg

Impressive, without a doubt.
It would be even more impressive if an action would fit into that stock and function properly.

Interesting video indeed.

Kind of a Magpul PMag meets Manners Composite stocks torture test.

Stocks need to hold up to use, not necessarily abuse. Granted harder use requires more maintenance and leads to a shorter life.

Good video keep 'em coming.

I would like to see a torture test from all the widespread tactical stock makers regarding hardware (sling studs/flush cups/adjustable cheeks/adjustable buttpads). Seems to me these would be more detrimental in both civilian shooter and Mil/LE roles.

Ern

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McMillanMade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out this video that was made by some of our employees to demonstrate the strength of our stocks. First of many and more to come. You Tube </div></div>

give you 20 bucks for it
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: restless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Impressive, without a doubt.
It would be even more impressive if an action would fit into that stock and function properly.</div></div>

Hah!

Probably a little nit-picky, but taking a softly sprung truck like the Avalanche and jacking the wheel up by 6" to stick a stock in there isn't going to be anywhere near the curb weight of that vehicle in total.

Without doing the math, it's probably more like half that value, depending on the spring rate, curb weight, and static weight distribution.

I'm not knocking the actual test, it's impressive, however, quoting that value may be somewhat misleading.

I saw some things that might have slewed result in favor of the stock too, but that's really not the point.

The whole idea of doing this with a stock is something I'd have real hesitations about doing with anything other than a McMillan stock.

I mean; anyone who hasn't gotten the message that McMillan and durability are two words for the same thing just isn't even in the ballpark, anyway...

If I'm gonna buy an aftermarket stock at all, I'll save my pennies and make the obvious choice...; McMillan.

It's not about geewhiz youtubes, it's about a decades-deep reputation of no-fail performance. You don't have to be on McMillan's payroll to understand this at the implicit gut level.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw some things that might have slewed result in favor of the stock too, but that's really not the point.

The whole idea of doing this with a stock is something I'd have real hesitations about doing with anything other than a McMillan stock.

I mean; anyone who hasn't gotten the message that McMillan and durability are two words for the same thing just isn't even in the ballpark, anyway...

If I'm gonna buy an aftermarket stock at all, I'll save my pennies and make the obvious choice...; McMillan.

It's not about geewhiz youtubes, it's about a decades-deep reputation of no-fail performance. You don't have to be on McMillan's payroll to understand this at the implicit gut level.

Greg </div></div>

I agree completely, I was making a cautionary statement since some people might try to actually put a stock under that kind of stress and then claim that "you did it, I want this replaced under factory warranty"

It's certainly not something that I'd do to any stock on purpose.

This video REALLY pisses me off. I cannot believe you <span style="font-weight: bold">WASTED</span> the time to take employees out in the lot for <span style="font-weight: bold">HOURS</span>! Get BACK TO WORK! Ship my damned stock to Mike at Tac-Ops before I grow too old and DIE! <span style="font-weight: bold">GET BACK TO WORK!</span>

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slashsplat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This video REALLY pisses me off. I cannot believe you <span style="font-weight: bold">WASTED</span> the time to take employees out in the lot for <span style="font-weight: bold">HOURS</span>! Get BACK TO WORK! Ship my damned stock to Mike at Tac-Ops before I grow too old and DIE! <span style="font-weight: bold">GET BACK TO WORK!</span>

grin.gif
</div></div>

You're hired!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: restless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be even more impressive if an action would fit into that stock and function properly. </div></div>

I thought the same of the USO test. A 2k paperweight after the test.