• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

Have you done any hand loading (load development) for the .300 WSM? I’ve always liked that round but it’s as expensive as .300 PRC! How is it feeding from the magazine? Any hang ups? I’m building a .300 PRC with a Origin Action right now. I’m working up some loads for it already.
Nope, have five or so factory offerings from Hornady and Federal to try. Haven't shot it yet. I just got it together today. Tomorrow if weather permits.

It was a 7mm-08, and rounds hit the breach face when I run it fast. Slow its okay except for last round. May be able to do some tweaking to the magazine.

I just purchased a Howa SA in 6.5 CM with Oryx chassis. I also purchased several Magpul AICS magazines to go with it. I’ve had issues with all magazines, even the supplied MDT magazine. I’ve had to shave off material from the feed lips and top front of the Magpul magazines to get the bolt to. Lear and magazines to seat withou smacking them hard. I was at my LGS today getting my s IPR rail and decided to pick up a metal AICS mag to see how well it fit. The metal AICS magazine will not seat. Now I fear I may have an out of spec mag well or my release is out of spec. I also have to tap the MDT mag to get it to seat. This is my first chassis rifle, so I’m a bit ignorant of what this should have been.
What is your opinion @MDT_Josh ?
The Howa 1500 needs either our polymer or polymetal magazines. The Magpul 7.62 AC P-mag is optimized for a Remington 700 and requires fitting for any other action. The metal magazine will hit the bottom of the action as the Howa 1500 is flat. Either of our magazines will work without issue. It doesn't sound like anything is out of spec. When a magazine well is brand new it will need to wear in a bit so tapping of the magazine will be common and should lessen as time goes by. If you are continuing to have an issue please use the contact form on our webpage and we will be happy to work with you.

Reactions: dieseltech82
The Howa 1500 needs either our polymer or polymetal magazines. The Magpul 7.62 AC P-mag is optimized for a Remington 700 and requires fitting for any other action. The metal magazine will hit the bottom of the action as the Howa 1500 is flat. Either of our magazines will work without issue. It doesn't sound like anything is out of spec. When a magazine well is brand new it will need to wear in a bit so tapping of the magazine will be common and should lessen as time goes by. If you are continuing to have an issue please use the contact form on our webpage and we will be happy to work with you.

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible then to modify the AICS metal mag to fit? Or should I sell it and get the MDT metal mag? I don’t necessarily need a metal mag, I wanted one to see how it fit compared to the poly ones. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible then to modify the AICS metal mag to fit? Or should I sell it and get the MDT metal mag? I don’t necessarily need a metal mag, I wanted one to see how it fit compared to the poly ones. Thanks.
Sure is! You need to notch the front to match the bottom of the action, which can be done with a file.

Reactions: dieseltech82
Got my Tikka T3x Super Varmint put together today. It feels really solid in the Oryx chassis, so now I only need to get to the range next week for the fine tuning. I Had to adjust the feed lips a little bit on the Accurate-Mag magazine to get smooth cambering.

2r.jpg

Inked1r_LI.jpg

I put an Oryx on a Savage 10 308 that I've really liked. So, I decided to put one on my Savage 10 .222. I had a laminated thumbhole stock on it and thought an Oryx would be a better setup. However, I'm having trouble with the poly mag I got with it. My bolt has to be COMPLETELY back and just barely clears the top round enough to pick it up. When I try to chamber that one the bolt drags on the next round enough that it pushes the round forward and somehow forces it to nosedive into the front of the magazine!! I can't figure out what happening here. Any ideas?

Attachments

• mag1.JPG
    mag1.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 88
I put an Oryx on a Savage 10 308 that I've really liked. So, I decided to put one on my Savage 10 .222. I had a laminated thumbhole stock on it and thought an Oryx would be a better setup. However, I'm having trouble with the poly mag I got with it. My bolt has to be COMPLETELY back and just barely clears the top round enough to pick it up. When I try to chamber that one the bolt drags on the next round enough that it pushes the round forward and somehow forces it to nosedive into the front of the magazine!! I can't figure out what happening here. Any ideas?
Do you know if the bolt is coming back far enough? The shorter calibers have a longer baffle/bolt stop so you don't need to cycle the action as far. If you load two rounds in and make sure they are pushed to the front of the magazine, will it feed then?

I've loaded the mag as I normally do with any type, that's pushing the cartridge all the way to the back of the magazine. If I do that I can't get sloppy with my bolt cycling, I have to pull it all the way to the stop. This barely clears the rear of the cartridge at this point. I haven't tried keeping the cartridges forward at all yet because I was unsure what the issue was. That'll be contrary to everything I'm used to but I can give that a try.

@coyotewillie I could be wrong, the smaller cases like 223 have the longer front bolt baffle stop. (small protruding section on the side of it, a picture of your bolt would help.) So if the 222 has a long silver section on the front baffle, that can be switched for one without too allow the bolt to travel further back.

I've loaded the mag as I normally do with any type, that's pushing the cartridge all the way to the back of the magazine. If I do that I can't get sloppy with my bolt cycling, I have to pull it all the way to the stop. This barely clears the rear of the cartridge at this point. I haven't tried keeping the cartridges forward at all yet because I was unsure what the issue was. That'll be contrary to everything I'm used to but I can give that a try.
@loveha Is right, the bolt stop/baffle can sometimes stop the bolt from traveling back far enough which is why if it feeds with the rounds forward in the magazine we can confirm that if that is the issue.

OK, but the bolt in fact does pick up the cartridge. Barely, but it does catch the cartridge. However, the main issue is the fact that the mag seems to be sitting too high and the bolt drags on the next case so much that it moves it forward and for whatever reason forces the tip down into the magazine. The bolt then sometimes catches on the raised rim and won't allow me to finish chambering the first cartridge. If I can get it to chamber, I fire the round, then the bolt sometimes catches going rearward and I have to release the magazine to bring the bolt rearward, ejecting the fired round.

I'll try to get a picture of the bolt posted. This rifle started out as a .223 but since I've always liked the .222 I just used it and rebarreled to the .222. And the action has been in the original stock and a laminated thumbhole stock and I've never really noticed it not catching a round before but it could have been close the whole time too. But the main problem is the second round nose dive into the mag. It seems like the mag is sitting too high, OR, is the action sitting too low in the receiver?

OK, but the bolt in fact does pick up the cartridge. Barely, but it does catch the cartridge. However, the main issue is the fact that the mag seems to be sitting too high and the bolt drags on the next case so much that it moves it forward and for whatever reason forces the tip down into the magazine. The bolt then sometimes catches on the raised rim and won't allow me to finish chambering the first cartridge. If I can get it to chamber, I fire the round, then the bolt sometimes catches going rearward and I have to release the magazine to bring the bolt rearward, ejecting the fired round.

I'll try to get a picture of the bolt posted. This rifle started out as a .223 but since I've always liked the .222 I just used it and rebarreled to the .222. And the action has been in the original stock and a laminated thumbhole stock and I've never really noticed it not catching a round before but it could have been close the whole time too. But the main problem is the second round nose dive into the mag. It seems like the mag is sitting too high, OR, is the action sitting too low in the receiver?
It could be seated to high, however, when we've seen this issue it mostly seems to be related to the baffle. This would probably be better moved to our support system so we can help you directly. It is [email protected].

Thought I ought to update on my feed problem after installing the Oryx stock on my Savage SA. Contacted MDT about it and after a couple of emails and a phone conversation back and forth we determined that the problem was in fact with my bolt. The problem was that the bolt head retaining pin hole (approx 1/4" Dia) was not chamfered at all on the bottom of the bolt. When the bolt is in the lifted position the pin/hole is vertical, and as you push the bolt forward to chamber a round the sharp edge of the pin hole would drag over and catch the rim of the next cartridge in the mag. This would push the cartridge forward and drive it down into the front of the magazine. There never was enough upward spring pressure on the original blind magazine to cause any problems before. But the higher spring pressure on the MDT mag pushed cartridges up so they contacted the bottom of the bolt more. All I had to do was disassemble the bolt and put a nice chamfer on the hole and it was fixed. No more sharp edge to catch the rim of a cartridge!

Anthony Bujak from MDT contacted me and was a great help in fixing the problem. Took the time to call me, went to their safe and grabbed their Savage sample rifle, took pictures of that bolt and sent them to me to compare with mine. I'm very impressed with MDT's customer service! Excellent service!

Any plans for a T/C Compass Long Action? the option is not available on the website, im assuming its due to the low demand of the particular setup? Thanks in advance for any information! Would love to put a Oryx chassis on my 300 Win Mag T/C Compass.

Any plans for a T/C Compass Long Action? the option is not available on the website, im assuming its due to the low demand of the particular setup? Thanks in advance for any information! Would love to put a Oryx chassis on my 300 Win Mag T/C Compass.
Not at this time, but you can leave us a request!

Reactions: BaniAdam
I just bought a Howa/Oryx 223. I an seeing videos about having removing 4-6mm off bolt stop so bolt will come back far enough to pick up round. The 223 i bought is in a mini action. If i am reading right in will use Howa mag in the mini action. If i were to have to shorten the bolt stop that would void warrenty. Is the problem in other post were using the MDT mag. Thanks

I just bought a Howa/Oryx 223. I an seeing videos about having removing 4-6mm off bolt stop so bolt will come back far enough to pick up round. The 223 i bought is in a mini action. If i am reading right in will use Howa mag in the mini action. If i were to have to shorten the bolt stop that would void warrenty. Is the problem in other post were using the MDT mag. Thanks
I bought a couple of replacement bolt stops. You can keep the original and cut the spare.
You should be able to get 1 from Legacy Sports, the Howa distributor or try ebay.

I bought a couple of replacement bolt stops. You can keep the original and cut the spare.
You should be able to get 1 from Legacy Sports, the Howa distributor or try ebay.
Do you have the 223 SA or 223 mini action. From what i can make out i only see bolt stop for short action. MDT also tells me i have to use the Howa 223 mag because the MDT mag will not work on mini action.

Do you have the 223 SA or 223 mini action. From what i can make out i only see bolt stop for short action. MDT also tells me i have to use the Howa 223 mag because the MDT mag will not work on mini action.
I have short actions. I think the bolt stop may be interchangeable between the mini and the SA.
I'm sure someone here would know.
Post a question in the bolt action forum.

Any plans for giving a choice of color without buying additional side panels? Or at least make black the default color?

The Magpul 10, 7.62 AC P-Mag works without issue or any fitting in my Savage 110 Tactical. I have hesitated pulling the trigger on the Oryx as I've not heard that this combination will work ( I just found this thread today about an hour ago, so I've got some reading to do to get up to speed.) Another reason for hesitating is the Savage AccuStock, so far, has been solid. I've also been looking hard at the MDT XRS chassis.

The Magpul 10, 7.62 AC P-Mag works without issue or any fitting in my Savage 110 Tactical. I have hesitated pulling the trigger on the Oryx as I've not heard that this combination will work ( I just found this thread today about an hour ago, so I've got some reading to do to get up to speed.) Another reason for hesitating is the Savage AccuStock, so far, has been solid. I've also been looking hard at the MDT XRS chassis.
I would also like to know if that combination will work. I've got my Tikka in an Oryx and want to put my new 110 tactical (in 6.5 creedmoor) into one. I'm not opposed to buying other mags because I only have 1 of the magpul 7.62 mags but I don't want to waste money trying to experiment and find the best combo.

The Howa Mini doesn't need any modifications. This only applies to 223 Rem in SA action.

I would also like to know if that combination will work. I've got my Tikka in an Oryx and want to put my new 110 tactical (in 6.5 creedmoor) into one. I'm not opposed to buying other mags because I only have 1 of the magpul 7.62 mags but I don't want to waste money trying to experiment and find the best combo.

It depends. The Magpul magazines usually require modification as they were optimized for a Remington 700. They may have changed the design, though. You have 30 days to try the chassis and return it if it doesn't work out for you.

The Howa Mini doesn't need any modifications. This only applies to 223 Rem in SA action.

It depends. The Magpul magazines usually require modification as they were optimized for a Remington 700. They may have changed the design, though. You have 30 days to try the chassis and return it if it doesn't work out for you.
Can you shed some light on where and what those modifications are?Also, are the same modifications required for the XRS chassis?

Can you shed some light on where and what those modifications are?Also, are the same modifications required for the XRS chassis?
We aren't Magpul experts, it will likely be the front of the magazine, but it could vary. Yes, the issue is the magazine is optimized for a Remington 700. Please see their note regarding this.

*PLEASE NOTE:
Not compatible with smaller base diameter cartridges such as .220 Swift, .223 Remington, .300 AAC Blackout, etc. or larger short action magnums. In addition, due to the wide variety and potential combinations of aftermarket receivers, stocks, chassis, and bottom metal that accept AICS pattern mags, minor fitting may be required.

Just got my second Oryx Chassis! Now both my Tikka t3x lite 308 and Savage 110 6.5 creedmoor will be riding in chassis. Just like with the tikka the fit and finish is great. My only gripe is that the "offset washer" was not in the box anywhere to be found. I'm frustrated that I won't be able to shoot/zero it until I get that part.
@MDT_OFFICIAL any chance of getting one of those overnight shipped? I put in a request through the ticket portal (I know its a weekend I don't expect a response until sometime Monday) and it would be awesome to get the part ASAP.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
The side panels will all be green and the base is solid black. Rough weight (as it will change from inlet to inlet) is 4.0-4.5lbs for the base, trigger guard, buttstock and grip!
Hi Josh - bit off topic but are you guys making any headway I reissuing a JAE-100/700 chassis?

Just got my second Oryx Chassis! Now both my Tikka t3x lite 308 and Savage 110 6.5 creedmoor will be riding in chassis. Just like with the tikka the fit and finish is great. My only gripe is that the "offset washer" was not in the box anywhere to be found. I'm frustrated that I won't be able to shoot/zero it until I get that part.
@MDT_OFFICIAL any chance of getting one of those overnight shipped? I put in a request through the ticket portal (I know its a weekend I don't expect a response until sometime Monday) and it would be awesome to get the part ASAP.
What’s this offset washer you speak of?

We aren't Magpul experts, it will likely be the front of the magazine, but it could vary. Yes, the issue is the magazine is optimized for a Remington 700. Please see their note regarding this.

*PLEASE NOTE:
Not compatible with smaller base diameter cartridges such as .220 Swift, .223 Remington, .300 AAC Blackout, etc. or larger short action magnums. In addition, due to the wide variety and potential combinations of aftermarket receivers, stocks, chassis, and bottom metal that accept AICS pattern mags, minor fitting may be required.
So. Any word on if the same type of mods are required for the XRS chassis?

Its specific to the savage short action Oryx model. The front action screw comes in different lengths so to account for that they milled out more of a slot than a hole. You use an offset washer flipped whichever direction your action needs to line up the hole and tighten it down.

Its specific to the savage short action Oryx model. The front action screw comes in different lengths so to account for that they milled out more of a slot than a hole. You use an offset washer flipped whichever direction your action needs to line up the hole and tighten it down.
Gotcha. The difference between the 4.27 and 4.40 center to center spacing of the action screws. I just ordered my first MDT 10 round Mag. We’ll see how it works with my 110 Tactical. I know the Magpul 10 round mags work perfectly with my 110 Tactical , so this could be the make or break point In the decision between the Oryx and the Magpul 110 Hunter stock for me.
I’d prefer it to be the Oryx but it will be what it will be. No harm, no foul. Hell even the Savage AccuStock isn’t terrible.

Reactions: Epsilon
@MojoNixon My magpul mags work great with the 110 in the oryx. The MDT mags worked well too. Maybe I just got lucky but I'm happy they both are feeding reliably.

Good news! I'm an idiot and found the offset washer! It had come out of the little bag during shipping and gotten lodged under the cheek rest. Found it when I started adjusting the height and it just fell out. @MDT_OFFICIAL

@MojoNixon My magpul mags work great with the 110 in the oryx. The MDT mags worked well too. Maybe I just got lucky but I'm happy they both are feeding reliably.

Good news! I'm an idiot and found the offset washer! It had come out of the little bag during shipping and gotten lodged under the cheek rest. Found it when I started adjusting the height and it just fell out. @MDT_OFFICIAL
It’s good to hear that both mags are working for you. I’m not as yet heavily invested in either. I’ve got 2 Magpuls and 1 MDT Polymer mag on order. Good on finding the washer, too.

Reactions: Epsilon
The savage actually feeds better than the tikka does. Haven't figured out why yet but sometimes it seems like the mag sits too high for the tikka.

Family photo
20200808_221106.jpg

Hi Josh - bit off topic but are you guys making any headway I reissuing a JAE-100/700 chassis?

Yes, make sure you are signed up for the newsletter to be kept up to date with all JAE news.

It's a small washer meant to accommodate both action screws spacing.

So. Any word on if the same type of mods are required for the XRS chassis?

It's action related, it's not specific to a chassis. It's usually the front part of the magazine that will hit the action.

Awesome, It happens!

Any plans for giving a choice of color without buying additional side panels? Or at least make black the default color?
I saw online somewhere , where you could buy black panels, and I had it saved in my favorites but it disappeared. I don't even recall if it was MDTtac dot com.
I too, would prefer black over the default split pea soup green. I've never seen in a good pic the grey that I saw in one of the Oryx print ads. That could be an option for me as I don't dislike the default dark'ish grey Savage AccuStock, on my 110 Tactical.

So is there some trick I’m missing in getting 10 rounds into the MDT mags? I can only get 8. It is a Gen. 2 10 round mag.
It did function without issue in my 110 tactical with a several 8 round cycles of dry fire.

So is there some trick I’m missing in getting 10 rounds into the MDT mags? I can only get 8. It is a Gen. 2 10 round mag.
It did function without issue in my 110 tactical with a several 8 round cycles of dry fire.
Nope, I haven't had any issues fitting 10 rounds.

What caliber? How are you loading the rounds into the magazine?