• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F T/R Competition Mirage Band?

Blue Streak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
KY via Oklahoma
I'm just getting going in F/TR and I am looking at mirage bands.

My question deals with how they attached to the rifel. The end towards the optic seems simple, but what about the dangerous end attachment? My new Krieger barrel has no front sight to loop over some kind of attachemnt so how does it attach? Is is just looped over the barrel and held in place by tention or something?

I did a search and came up emply. I am sure the answer is probalby simple and that this is more than likely a dumb question, but WTF,..I can't find the answer.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Mirage Band?

Velcro dots or strips, the self-adhesive kind.

Take a slat from a 2 in wide window blind, cut to length and stick on the velcro. Cut the slats 1/2 to 3/4 in short of the muzzle so muzzle blast does not blow them away. I prefer to have the soft fabric side stuck to the rifle barrel and the scratchy hook side on the mirage band. One on each end works, but I tend to put one in the middle, also.

Stays put while shooting, but is easy on and easy off as well as being cheap. Degrease the barrel for maximum hold of the velcro, barrel heat just seems to make 'em stickier, too.

Metal or faux wood blind strips will work, I've seen the curved metal ones curved up and down, don't know if one way works better than the other. I use the flat fake wood plastic ones simply because that's what I have and they work just fine, certainly better than nothing on a calm day.

Paul

Sinclair has the heat shields for about $5.00. Pick up one with your next order, or use the window shade option mentioned above.

Make your own, go to wal-mart and buy the flexible strip and use a paperclip on each end to hold it on, some sewing required.

I also used o-rings to keep it from flapping.

I want to say one of my clips that held it on were from the first band but it tore or I lost it or something.

BY THE WAY - Whoever has this rifle - is it back up for sale?? I rather miss it
smile.gif

m70side1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are they worth it? </div></div>

Yes.

I've been doing some research lately on 300 meter ISSF shooting and noticed that everyone was using mirage bands.In looking at some of the manufacturer's web sites (G & E and Bleiker) I came across this page which nicely illustrates how G & E has a small nub on both their action and their front site mount just for holding the mirage band. A pretty cool detail. Move your mouse pointer over those two areas to enlarge the picture so you can see it better. Might be a nice option that action makers could offer.

http://www.gruenelshop.ch/ac_home.php?la...2&content=1

Some nice videos of 300m shooting -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0VU-LNuC...ture=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPQ6CiW4g...ture=plpp_video

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zipollini</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been doing some research lately on 300 meter ISSF shooting and noticed that everyone was using mirage bands.In looking at some of the manufacturer's web sites (G & E and Bleiker) I came across this page which nicely illustrates how G & E has a small nub on both their action and their front site mount just for holding the mirage band. A pretty cool detail. Move your mouse pointer over those two areas to enlarge the picture so you can see it better. Might be a nice option that action makers could offer.
</div></div>

The rear side is actually a site base - most highpower and Palma shooters use that - and then connect to the front sight base.

It's a pretty cool setup. The first one I had was a kit one but I went to wally world and found the exact material, stopped by mom's and used hte sewing machine to make two loops and I made two Barrel bands for less than 2 bucks.

I think if I were shooting LR comps ag ain I'd put one on my scoped rifle too but I just don't shoot enough, after 20 rds you need one. The 1000 yard league gave us almost 45 mins to an hour between strings so the rifle could cool enough..

Wow,..I didn't expect so much interest on such a simple peice of equipment. I actaully almost didn't post it because I thought my question was a little stupid, but what great information.

I site kicks ass,..you guys are the best. Thanks for the great discussion and ideas.

Those in the link sure are cool - but don't be afraid to custom make your own either.

In fact maybe I can talk *Redman into doing a batch of em...various colors etc..

Wonder where Sterling Shooter is - I'm sure he's got a good input on this.

FYI back to the original question - if you get a front sight base installed, or a brake or something you can attach to that.

I've seen everything from my wire/paperclip (Professionally done of co urse) to rubber bands hold them on.

Rear sight base as well or on the rail....

Or you can do as I did there to hold it from flapping in the wind- just use O-rings....makes it quite easy to go on and off.

Make sure you get the tactical O-rings though
laugh.gif

My first F-TR match sent me packing to the hardware store looking for a scrap of blind. Fifteen rounds into the match I was looking through an aquarium, and it wasn't like that when I stared.

What I ended up with was a piece of a vertical blind, got it for free. Attaches to the top of the barrel with velcro tabs (hook side on the shield if it matters to anyone). I rattle canned it OD to match the teflon job on the rifle and I've been good to go ever since.

Well, I just have a band new smooth Krieger barrel with no threads, etc. on the front. So, the O-ring idea is sounding pretty good.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot,..Articlight,..the post about missing the rifle you sold, etc. That was too funny. But damn, don't we all have one of those stories. It's the "one that got away" story.

I remember back in the day when every time I wanted a new toy, I had to trade in another toy. Man, I wish I had some of those back.

Anyway,..that was pretty funny by Articlight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are they worth it? </div></div>

Heck yeah! I wouldnt go to a match with out mine!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blue Streak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah, I almost forgot,..Articlight,..the post about missing the rifle you sold, etc. That was too funny. But damn, don't we all have one of those stories. It's the "one that got away" story.

I remember back in the day when every time I wanted a new toy, I had to trade in another toy. Man, I wish I had some of those back.

Anyway,..that was pretty funny by Articlight. </div></div>

Someone here actually offered to buy my VW Scirocco too and I considered it.

So of course yesterday I pulled her out of the garage and drove her. And that is why I've owned her for 18 years, can't sell her!!!

Yeah so true. I have one of everything and the ONLY thing I'd sell right now is probably the K98..

I have a motorcycle like that. I tell myself I'm going to get rid of it and than all I do is go for a short ride and I'm in love again.

This would actually make a good thread, "Tell us about the one that got away". There is no telling what these guys would talk about. Good stuff.

The good thing about the fabric ones (including the stuff from Jason Baney) is that you can pretty much leave them on the gun the whole time. The ones made from venetian blinds and whatnot need to be taken off the gun when putting it in the case. A minor hassle, but thought I'd mention it.

Alternative to o-rings... go get a pack of hair ties - they already come tactical matte black, or any color in the rainbow if you want
wink.gif

I found a set of camo suspenders that I'm going to try making into a stretchy mirage band for my Palma gun...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I found a set of camo suspenders that I'm going to try making into a stretchy mirage band for my Palma gun...
wink.gif
</div></div>

Now thats an idea! Probably find them pretty cheap too.

John

+2 Velcro dots or strips, the self-adhesive kind.

Sinclair International sells a mirage strip that looks very much like a 2 in wide window blind.

Good luck

Jerry

I went down to "Hobby Lobby" at lunch today and picked up a section of black elastic, about 2" wide, for $2.75 even.

I think I'll look into the hair / pony tail holder as my wife calls them,...she has tons of them. I'll just snatch a couple when she's not around.

I made one out of a piece of aluminum flashing with ears to be clamped under the bipod. I put a roll in it to give stiffness and it kept it off the barrel.

The mirage band is most helpful to me on the light wind days, or when there is little moving on the line due to the range layout.

On windy days, it can become a distraction with the band moving around, and of course its need is moot. I use a rigid material vs cloth.

If you happen to campaign an AR, using one around the gas block is very helpful due to the localized heat buildup there.