• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

MPA 22LR CZ455 Barrel Testing/Review

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    It seemed like the options for aftermarket CZ455 barrel replacements was getting slimmer and slimmer with the shimmed Lilja being the one and only option with DJ retiring. I was informed that MPA was now doing barrel installs on CZ 455 actions at very reasonable prices. Customers just had to mail MPA their action and decide on a few options.

I reached out to Phil Cashin @ MPA to inquire about them doing this for my CZ 455 action to review for the Snipers Hide community. Ive seen a lot of posts over the past 8 months asking where or who was doing barrel replacements for CZ 455's with not really any options. Ive had multiple people ask me where to get a custom barrel done for their CZ 455. Phil was more than glad to donate a barrel and custom fit it to my action for the review. With the holiday and Shot Show coming up they still get it done and back to me in a very reasonable timeframe! Big THANK YOU to Phil , Lisa and Al @MPA for making this happen!

MPA custom fitted an 18" 1:16 twist .900" straight contour barrel, muzzle threaded 1/2-28, cerakoted black with a 22LR match chamber to my 455 action.

Here are the options and pricing MPA is offering for your CZ 455 action

ALL barrels are .900" straight contour
    Any length between 16.1"-24"
    Crowned or threaded muzzle at no additional cost
    $399.99 polished

Additional $50 to add cerakote

My Test Setup

CZ 455 Action
    Area419 30MOA base
    MPA 18" 1:16 .900" Barrel Threaded 1/2-28
    Timney BETA Adjustable Trigger Set @ 12oz
    Anarchy Outdoors Swept Bolt Handle
    Area419 Bolt Knob
    MDT LSS-22 Chassis with ARCA Rail
    Athlong Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 MIL
    Vortex PMR 34MM 0.92" rings
    MK Machining Carbon Fiber Throw Lever
    MK Machining Billet Level

Hoping to get this thing out next week to get some testing done with different types of ammo once it warms up into the 40's. I got it out for a short period to zero the scope and get some rounds downrange before it started to downpour ice and had to pack up quickly. Was grouping nicely with the very limited rounds I put downrange.

I feel so teased. Where are the groups? Must see groups.

Seriously, sucks about your weather. I'm in St. Louis and we're about to get hammered here with 8-16" of snow. Watching it come down now.

I literally walked shots into poa to zero scope then got dumped on. Didnt have time to shoot groups. Dont worry, full review is coming
    Look, we know you can't control the weather and it's not your fault but reading your post and not getting to see group sizes is forum reading equivalent to blue balls....

Look, we know you can't control the weather and it's not your fault but reading your post and not getting to see group sizes is forum reading equivalent to blue balls....
    ...This statement directly correlates with the scientific method

I'll be watching this, my 455 is worse than any female I've ever been around. Moody as F. I never know when it's gonna have an episode on me.

God bless you for this thread. Have been planning an overhaul of a 455 that I was given and had been coming up pretty empty handed.

Interesting...

Is the barrel choked? Can you post pictures of the crown? What is the grove count? What chamber are they using? Where are the bullets sitting in the chamber (does it engrave at all and if so how much on what bullet)? Are the barrels "custom fit" to each action or just manufactured to a spec as most drop in 455 barrels are? Did they recommend a specific torque for the barrel screws?

Just a few things that popped into my head when I saw this post, it may be good info for your review...

Interesting...

Is the barrel choked? Can you post pictures of the crown? What is the grove count? What chamber are they using? Where are the bullets sitting in the chamber (does it engrave at all and if so how much on what bullet)? Are the barrels "custom fit" to each action or just manufactured to a spec as most drop in 455 barrels are? Did they recommend a specific torque for the barrel screws?

Just a few things that popped into my head when I saw this post, it may be good info for your review...

I'd also like to know what the headspace is set at.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents here. Bought an MPA BA22 and have been able to put about 1200-1500 rounds through it. My best group so far has been .35" edge to edge with Federal GM target (711B). On the other hand, my worst groups have been a cause of frustration. That being said, I am a relative novice to precision shooting, and still trying to find that perfect barrel/ammo/position match. I have NOT been able to repeat that group, and im trying various positions to try and increase accuracy (sandbag vs bipod, table vs prone, sling vs no sling, etc). Anyhow, 18" barrel, screws secure it in, and are set at an inward angle. I'd be happy to answer your questions if I can. I tried to attach a pic, not sure if it took.

Reactions: BlastersAreCool
    5 rounds, .35", edge to edge

Attachments

• 20181208_112120.jpg
      20181208_112120.jpg
      199.5 KB · Views: 106
    Thanks David T! what would you say you are seeing on average out of it? UNLESS you are having consistency issues with the groups then explain that more. (i.e; group starts out looking good but the nave "x" fliers every other group, etc)

So here is another pic. Most here will probably know the circles are an inch, the dots a bit less than a 1/4". I wont say this is typical, but pretty close. On the third row, I adjusted my scope. All are 50 yard shots, 5 round groups with Fed GM Target, same as the pic above. My cold shot was aimed at the upper left circle. If i remember right, all these were off an Atlas bipod with a sling and on a bench. No wind. Like i said, im still learning, but when the trigger was squeezed, my reticle was centered.

Attachments

• 20190104_151627.jpg
      20190104_151627.jpg
      325.9 KB · Views: 232
    So here is another pic. Most here will probably know the circles are an inch, the dots a bit less than a 1/4". I wont say this is typical, but pretty close. On the third row, I adjusted my scope. All are 50 yard shots, 5 round groups with Fed GM Target, same as the pic above. My cold shot was aimed at the upper left circle. If i remember right, all these were off an Atlas bipod with a sling and on a bench. No wind. Like i said, im still learning, but when the trigger was squeezed, my reticle was centered.
    David, it appears a random collection of scatter-groups, vertical groups , “3 and 2” groups. General thoughts: 1) your rifle may dislike Federal 2) something could be loose 3) cleaning regimen could need a change 4) could be a quirk in your delivery 5) perhaps a lemon. You might clean it spotless paying particular attention to the throat, try some CCI SV/ SK standard plus/ Tac-22, adopt a bipod and rear bag no sling setup or try bare rifle on sandbags off the bench, try a different scope, have a buddy video you. This should narrow the search. Seymour

I'd say definitely try some different ammo and season the barrel after switching brands. My CZ with a Fedderson barrel hates Federal. It shoots in the avg .4's with SK and in the .3's consistently with Center X. It hates Eley, even Tenex, averaging in the upper .5's. The Federal GM that I used was like a shotgun pattern.

So first of all, my apologies to Padom, because he started this thread, and what I thought was helping to answer some questions others had has turned into me hijacking this to some extent. So with that in mind, I'm going to try and find a way to start a new thread and let Padom continue what he started (if I can find out how to do that).

So first of all, my apologies to Padom, because he started this thread, and what I thought was helping to answer some questions others had has turned into me hijacking this to some extent. So with that in mind, I'm going to try and find a way to start a new thread and let Padom continue what he started (if I can find out how to do that).
    Not teally David T. We all are all interested in the MPA's barrel performance the more raw data on more barrels the better IMO. You're good bud

Finally a nice day in the NE! It was 60F today, so I was able to get out and do some testing.

I shot a bunch of different types of ammo to see what it was liking then I will go back and shoot a bunch of groups to see how it does. Looks like the SK Standard +, Rifle Match and Federal Gold Medal Match shot the most consistent. My OEM CZ barrel loved the FGMM the best as well.

50 yards?
    What was the procedure for ammo changes?
    What was the wind doing?
    How does the action fit in the chassis, any stress or need for bedding?
    Have you shot other barreled actions out of this particular chassis? If so how did they shoot?

Reactions: Seymour Fish
    The real question is "when will it be available for purchase" not pre pay and wait 6-8 months for a unicorn to drop it off, as in call, get a real person on the phone, pay and they ship the same day.

50 yards?
    What was the procedure for ammo changes?
    What was the wind doing?
    How does the action fit in the chassis, any stress or need for bedding?
    Have you shot other barreled actions out of this particular chassis? If so how did they shoot?

Yes 50yd 60F sunny and no wind
    No specific procedure for ammo changes. Just load the next type and shoot.
    Action fits in the chassis perfectly. The chassis is inletted specifically for CZ 455 action. It was sent to me by MDT for reviewing which I did last year which you can read here:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mdt-lss-22-chassis-review-cz-455-22lr.6904025/

The real question is "when will it be available for purchase" not pre pay and wait 6-8 months for a unicorn to drop it off, as in call, get a real person on the phone, pay and they ship the same day.

These are and have been available for some time now. They do not ship barrels. As stated in the OP, you have to send MPA your action as the barrels are custom fitted to your action. I cant speak to turn around time but mine was back in roughly 30days...

These are and have been available for some time now. They do not ship barrels. As stated in the OP, you have to send MPA your action as the barrels are custom fitted to your action. I cant speak to turn around time but mine was back in roughly 30days...
    I'm not sure what type of custom fitting they do to the receiver they do. After taking my barrel out when I checked torque settings (so took the time to clean the barrel as well) it's pretty loose in the receiver. The screws hold it in fairly solidly, though. No screws, there's a bit of rattle.

Guessing the turn the tennon down to fit your receiver with a high degree of precision. Sloppy tolerance control on CZ's part prevents them from making a very tight fitting drop in barrel. They probably also adjust tennon length to get better head space.

I'm not sure what type of custom fitting they do to the receiver they do. After taking my barrel out when I checked torque settings (so took the time to clean the barrel as well) it's pretty loose in the receiver. The screws hold it in fairly solidly, though. No screws, there's a bit of rattle.

That is not cool, I would be contacting MPA about that if for anything to hear their thoughts on it.

I wouldnt be suprised one bit if all they do is drop in one of their many barrels, shoot your blaster and see if it is 'accurate enough', then ship it?‍♂️. Not at all saying thats what they do, but I have a good bit of knowledge about MPA. Both personal experiences and eye witness issues of guys in my club first hand.

I wouldnt be suprised one bit if all they do is drop in one of their many barrels, shoot your blaster and see if it is 'accurate enough', then ship it?‍♂️. Not at all saying thats what they do, but I have a good bit of knowledge about MPA. Both personal experiences and eye witness issues of guys in my club first hand.

Funny, I have similar thoughts...

From my experience accuracy modding CZ 455's, which means two rifles, I'm not sure you could depend on a precision fit unless the job included truing the socket of the action. Mine were ever so slightly tapered, bigger inside towards the bolt than at the receiver face, so that "rattle fit" that was described would be hard to avoid no matter who's barrel you were buying. I can do a lot of my own work but for chambering this barrel I deferred to the experience of a local gunsmith who has decades of experience with rimfire. We agreed the action would have to be trued to fit the Shilen blank. A precise smooth socket would suffice but since I was already this far in it I just opted to thread it for a traditional mount.

From my experience accuracy modding CZ 455's, which means two rifles, I'm not sure you could depend on a precision fit unless the job included truing the socket of the action. Mine were ever so slightly tapered, bigger inside towards the bolt than at the receiver face, so that "rattle fit" that was described would be hard to avoid no matter who's barrel you were buying. I can do a lot of my own work but for chambering this barrel I deferred to the experience of a local gunsmith who has decades of experience with rimfire. We agreed the action would have to be trued to fit the Shilen blank. A precise smooth socket would suffice but since I was already this far in it I just opted to thread it for a traditional mount.
    I often thought about getting this done to the action and barrel. I would be interested on some info?

At this point it just becomes a standard threaded barrel install, I deferred to the experience of a local gunsmith to do the chamber and fit because of his experience with rimfires. But as to the prep when we decided to go the thread route I wanted to preserve as much material in the action as possible. The socket of a CZ is 18mm / .709 and the minor dia. of a .750 x 32 thread is .716 - .724 so that's what I cut into the receiver.

I've been spoiled by the accuracy of the custom bbls I've fitted & chambered to several bolt repeater actions over the past three years, starting with a Stiller 2500XR, 40X, 40XB, & lastly, a V-22. None of these bbls needed any real break-in before they shot good & excellent groups. IOW, by the time I got a scope zeroed, they were shooting very well.

So I was really attracted to the new CZ457s, specifically the American sporter & Varmint MTR. Still don't have a MTR, but have been tinkering with the American I got a couple of weeks ago. Inclement weather has been the big stumbling block, but I have managed to get 130rds through it to date. The rifle has printed a few really decent groups with SK Std+ & Pistol Match, but with several mediocre groups in between the good ones. From what most of the CZ owners over on RFC say, it takes a few hundred rounds to get them broken in to the point where they'll shoot to their potential. Well, I'm thinking of calling Krieger to ask if they've got any intentions of turning out 22RF blanks for these rifles. And if not, I might consider truing & threading the receiver of my 457 American instead of going with the OEM method of fitting the shank into a tapered receiver. I have borescoped the OEM CZ bbl, and the finish looks pretty darned good, but without slugging the bore, I don't really have any idea of how consistent the bore diameter is, or whether there's any choke at the muzzle.

I've got a nice V-22 with ACE 18" Ranch bbl that shoots pretty danged good at 210yds, and weighs only a few ounces more than the 457 w/scope, so it's not like I HAVE to have the 457 shooting at that level - but once you get used to the accuracy a good 22RF bbl can provide, it's hard to be satisfied with less. Besides, I really like the appearance of the American, and it runs very smoothly with excellent reliability.

At this point it just becomes a standard threaded barrel install, I deferred to the experience of a local gunsmith to do the chamber and fit because of his experience with rimfires. But as to the prep when we decided to go the thread route I wanted to preserve as much material in the action as possible. The socket of a CZ is 18mm / .709 and the minor dia. of a .750 x 32 thread is .716 - .724 so that's what I cut into the receiver.

Accurate Obsession - did you bore the bbl socket true to get rid of the slight taper before threading it?

Yes, that's why the .750 x 32 was such a good fit. Only had to take out appx .01 to get the required threading dia. which was also enough to remove the taper.

That sounds like a plan. Now all I'll need to do is either order in a Krieger blank (and wait 6mo to get it), or find a parts supplier that keeps them in stock. Thanks for the info.

That's fine I have no beef against Krieger but Killough Shooting Sports in Texas keeps Shilen ratchet blanks of many profiles in stock. If we're talking CZ, the .850 and .910 straight profiles are in stock.

For me personally I like chassis. The ability to adjust every aspect of it to the individual owner is the main reason. I have shot an Eliseo for years in F-Class and built a PRS rifle with a PDC Custom chassis and then the CZ rimfire action discussed in this thread into another PDC. The rimfire chassis is exactly the same as the big one for all it's adjustments, just the body is scaled down slightly.

Reactions: regnar375