• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing my home shop .284 win build (pic heavy)

Re: my home shop .284 win build (pic heavy)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">next it was time to set the barrel up in the lathe. i used a ring made from #4 copper wire to keep the chuck jaws off of the barrel and to allow some movement while dialing it in. a copper ring was also used in the spider on the back of the lathe spindle since i was too lazy to make protective pads for the bolts.

i inserted a range rod with a snug fitting bushing into the bore. i started out with a .001" indicator. i used the 4 jaw and the spider to adjust it till the indicator didn't move anywhere on the rod.

</div></div>

Diggin the #4 wire, looks like a good idea. How did it work for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moore_ man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Diggin the #4 wire, looks like a good idea. How did it work for you? </div></div>

it worked fine. i have since made a spider chuck where i don't need to use the wire or shims between standard 4 jaw chuck jaws and the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Make it Ribeye and you've got my attention. At least you like guns
wink.gif
</div></div>

i'm all about the ribeye. i probably grill more ribeye than anything else. don't really need a recipe for ribeye though. i don't think you guys do tri-tip out that way but how's this for a recipe
laugh.gif
?

<span style="font-weight: bold">my home shop tri-tip sammich build</span>

step 1: cook up some tri-tip on the trusty old webber.

tri-tip1.jpg

step 2: slice tri-tip.

tritip1.jpg

step 3: grab a slice of white bread and pile about a pound or two of tri-tip on top. don't worry, that fat ain't gunna hurt you.

tritipsammich1.jpg

step 4: toss another slice of white bread on top and devour. make sure to have a newcastle to wash it down.

tritipsammich2.jpg
</div></div> </div></div>

Holy Snap, Im starving now... I just drooled all over my keyboard..... Damn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mortarguy5611</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have the link the the .308 build? cant seem to find it for some reason
</div></div>

it should be in my signature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mortarguy5611</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have the link the the .308 build? cant seem to find it for some reason
</div></div>

Click the link in 300sniper's signature line in his post above

apparently someone thinks my threads here may be "for sale" threads and i should be a commercial vendor. the fact is that i post these threads for information purposes for others and to get the feedback/constructive criticism for my own improvement. my intent was never to sell any rifles or rifle work. i don't do gun work for anyone other than as a hobby for myself or close friends. i don't do work for people on this site. i don't advertise that i do gun work for people on this site. i don't take gun work from people on this site. i am not in the business of doing gun work.

i am not sure how it wasn't before but hopefully it is clear now.

since this thread was linked to me as the issue (and probably one of the most viewed of my threads), i am bringing it up here.

Maybe it was this...

**pm me for stainless bolt knobs and installs**

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turned out nice.

Now that you went through all that truing and dialing indicating just for shits and giggles for the next one only true the action face and chamber a good barrel and see what happens. You will be surprised.
</div></div>

I've built a ton of rifles without truing anything in the past and had lots of them shoot unbelievable groups. I had a .308 that you would have to try to get it to shoot out of the .1's. I shot so many screamer groups with it that it was boring. In my opinion the barrel is way more important than truing (unless of course your action is way out). I've seen untouched Remingtons shoot better than BAT actioned rifles so that tells me the barrel is what matters the most as long as the chambers and crown are cut correctly.

BTW nice work 300.

tag.... really nice work thanks for adding to the education!!