• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My M40!!!

usmc1488

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2012
Camp Lejeune
After a year of waiting (to the date) I have my GAP m40a5. It is almost exactly like the M40 we had in Iraq except I opted for the brake so I can graduate to a can down the road.

Me with the 40 in Iraq

Coming Home

Opened up

GORGEOUS!

Exact same marking as the PWS built M40s

Set up and ready to go

Currently sporting the leupold Mk 6 3 -18 with a TMR, as I can afford the SB and I honestly think the Leupy is better (plus their mil discount is PHENOMENAL!). Ive shot them all and honestly not worth the coin I could spend on a can and other stuff. Once leupold decides to make some mk8s Ill put it on the 40.

Congrats on a really nice looking rig. You might as well get ball rolling on the stamp now.

Hardmix

very nice rig. i'm also a fan of Leupold, their cheap stuff is good, their top notch stuff is top notch! don't get me wrong, i'm sure SB makes awesome scopes, they sure as hell look and feel nice, but i'm a fan of Leupy. might be because i've been told by family how great their scopes are, and that says something when the scope was mounted on a Win M70 back in the early 60s, and it's still there!

After a year of waiting (to the date) I have my GAP m40a5. It is almost exactly like the M40 we had in Iraq except I opted for the brake so I can graduate to a can down the road.

Me with the 40 in Iraq

Coming Home

Opened up

GORGEOUS!

Exact same marking as the PWS built M40s

Set up and ready to go

Currently sporting the leupold Mk 6 3 -18 with a TMR, as I can afford the SB and I honestly think the Leupy is better (plus their mil discount is PHENOMENAL!). Ive shot them all and honestly not worth the coin I could spend on a can and other stuff. Once leupold decides to make some mk8s Ill put it on the 40.

Thats a nice rifle u got there,, but its nowhere close to the orginal m40,, what u got is alot better. just saying

Whoever fixed the pics, thank you! Hopefuly the storm goes east and i can shoot it friday and saturday.

Im green with envy! We demand a range report!

I was in S4 at WTBn, and one of the PWS armorers said he'd build me an M40 for $2K... I kick myself every day for spending that money elsewhere.

Last edited:
it is always cool to have the same gun as you are issued, nostalgia is always a good thing as well as familiarity. Nice gun man, the GAP milspec guns are really nice.

Thanks gents, Im praying the worse of the storm is over so I can get to the range today and tomorrow. I have alot of M118LR, Black Hills 175 and 168 SMK that I’ve been hording since I placed the order last year, It'll be interesting to see what it likes best, after I brake it in of course. Better non-cell phone pics and range report hopefully to fallow!

Last edited:
I have always wondered how much combat pay has been transferred to gunsmiths over the years from military deployments. I know between GAP, SAC, and Blackops Precision, I think about all of mine has been spent. Awesome looking rifle and congrats!

I have always wondered how much combat pay has been transferred to gunsmiths over the years from military deployments. I know between GAP, SAC, and Blackops Precision, I think about all of mine has been spent. Awesome looking rifle and congrats!

that's true I just spent little over 6k on a rig that David Viers just finished up for me......my wife was pissed when she saw the bank statement

Sweet rig and thanks for your service. Enjoy the rifle and the groups I'm sure you'll make with it!

My wife wanted an answer for the same question. I just tried to knock her up so shed forget about it. It backfired though, because I didn't know a case of diapers was like $50!

Am I the only one who noticed that in the first pic, while you are laying in the dirt, the rifle has a nice blanket under it.

Good eye, that is to reduce the blast signature, otherwise there would be quite the sandstorm each time a round was fired.

What a blast to shoot, pun intended. Its been a while since I had some trigger time on the 40. My best group was a hair under .75 at 100m. It is definitely a 1/2 gun, I just need to get use to that sweet trigger. Too use to my 4.5lb two stage m14 trigger. LOVES the 175 M118lr, shocking I know. Doesn't seem to be a fan of 168smk.

img20130608145912.jpg

img20130608155204.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is nice! I've known a few Scout Snipers who order an exact clone of their service M40 as soon as they get home. Very nice! and thanks for your service

before I make any comments about the rifle I would like to say thank you so much for your service to our country. now as for the rifle I am green with envy . that is a sweet righ for sure.

It's truley and honor to serve, thank you! I put about 50 rounds through it today, what a blast so smooth in every way. I just find it funny that it shoots 175 so well, the internet experts say 1/12 is too fast. Obviously it is not!!!

Now I just need to find a range in NC that will let me stretch it's legs, I dont think Lejeune does rec fire anymore on it's KD ranges.

I just find it funny that it shoots 175 so well, the internet experts say 1/12 is too fast. Obviously it is not!!!

I just asked about this very thing in your other thread. Actually, 1-12 is usually considered a bit slow for heavier bullets (1-12 is less twist than 1-11 or 1-10). Anyway, she seems to be shooting great. I'll bet once the tube is broken in she does even better! Thanks for sharing. Semper Fi.

USMC1488,Lejune does indeed have civilian competitions. East Coast Carolina gun club hosts the matches,email A.C. for info,he's in charge of the show ( retired Marine also ). They are having a shoot there the 22nd and 23rd of this month,come on out and give that new rifle a chance to shine at 1000. Semper Fi!

I shoot 175smk out of all my M40's. The twist on my a1 and a3 is a 1/12 not sure about my M40 as it was a repo from Remington. I have shot excellent groups with that twist without any problems with accuracy. But I have heard about people saying that the 1/12 is too fast that a 1/10 or 1/11.25 works best for the 175smk.

If you want to stretch it out there is a range on the other side of Cherry Point that shoots out to 500. Been there several times and not a stupid as Flatwoods is.

I shoot 175smk out of all my M40's. The twist on my a1 and a3 is a 1/12 not sure about my M40 as it was a repo from Remington. I have shot excellent groups with that twist without any problems with accuracy. But I have heard about people saying that the 1/12 is too fast that a 1/10 or 1/11.25 works best for the 175smk.

If you want to stretch it out there is a range on the other side of Cherry Point that shoots out to 500. Been there several times and not a stupid as Flatwoods is.

Yep 1/12 and it looooves the 175, I hate internet know it alls. Anyway, yeah flatwoods is a nice little range but the guy they have working as the Range Master is a tool. What is the name of the range by chery point?

FYI, Berger lists 1-12 as gtg for their 190vld or target. Not for sure about the juggernaut185. Either way it is plenty fast enough for 175 smk. Badass rifle and thank you for your service. Was that group in pic shot bipod only no rear bag? I would take that group with 118lr any day.

FYI, Berger lists 1-12 as gtg for their 190vld or target. Not for sure about the juggernaut185. Either way it is plenty fast enough for 175 smk. Badass rifle and thank you for your service. Was that group in pic shot bipod only no rear bag? I would take that group with 118lr any day.

Yes sir, no rear bag just a bi-pod. Thank you for the compliment. I can not wait to see what reloads will do!

It's truley and honor to serve, thank you! I put about 50 rounds through it today, what a blast so smooth in every way. I just find it funny that it shoots 175 so well, the internet experts say 1/12 is too fast. Obviously it is not!!!

Now I just need to find a range in NC that will let me stretch it's legs, I dont think Lejeune does rec fire anymore on it's KD ranges.

As someone else stated, Coastal Carolina has LR matches on Lejeune's Hathcock range. NorthState Shooting club also hosts matches at Camp Butner. They usually have a practice day the week of a match at Butner. It only costs $10 and they usually shoot at 300, 500, 600, 900, and 1,000.

Great rifle, and thank you for your service!

Thanks for your service. Great that it finally arrived and even better that you like the way it shoots. Enjoy

Is there a website for these LR matches? Im also interested in going to some of these matches. Id like to test my a1 and a3 at those LR distances.

Badass rifle. It is nice having the shit you are accustomed to, isn't it? Just feels right, doesn't it?

Badass rifle. It is nice having the shit you are accustomed to, isn't it? Just feels right, doesn't it?

It realy is, its like getting together for a few beers with an old friend. Im going to go to the long range matches mentioned here. Hope to meet some of you.

Give us a range report on how she does. Ill be going there next week. You will enjoy your time out there shooting.

Wow rifle looks great. Will you be painting it? Do the scout snipers use Krylon or some other brand of rattle can?

thanks!

Wow rifle looks great. Will you be painting it? Do the scout snipers use Krylon or some other brand of rattle can?

thanks!
Thank you for the compliment. I wont be painting it, if it was a duty gun thatd be different. As for as what paint we use, what ever is around.