• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a 20-150ft-lb Torque Wrench?

jpspeeddemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
I've been looking for a good torque wrench for my AE MKIII. I've dealt with Teamtorque for calibration of other torque wrenches i have/had.

So i called them up and asked what the difference was between a $300 Mac and a $75 Craftsman they have for sale on their on-line store.

They said that both are made by the same company and use the same parts. The only difference is that the CRaftsman has a plastic handle.

Just thought i'd let you guys know that he recommended the Craftsman very highly.
http://www.teamtorque.com/onlinestore/

Re: Need a 20-150ft-lb Torque Wrench?

That's cool if you are changing the trailer hitch on your Ford F150, but for Rifle service you need in/lbs, if not you will need some new hardware. Although there are some good prices on the in/lbs drivers in your link. Those Ts-30 and Ts-35 will work for Rings and bases, as well as Remington wood stocks on hunting rifles. 6-36 in/lbs

I started out with a Wheeler (now Battenfield Technologies) Fat wrench it is ok Midway USA around $50.00. But the Borka Tool is much better Triad Tactical $100.00

True, but he might be wanting a ft/lb wrench as an action wrench to change barrels.

The information of both wrenches being made in the same factory is pretty interesting.

Yes, I meant 100 ft-lbs for changing barrels on AI rifles.

Do not confuse ft-lbs for in-lbs.

I've got a Borka for my in-lb needs now.

Does Craftsman have lifetime replacement on torque wrenches as well? If so that is a good investment no matter the use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HunterH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think all craftsman has a lifetime warranty </div></div>

That used to be true Hunter but not for a while. Craftsman has really gone down hill IMO. No lifetime on torque wrenches or ratchets I know. That plastic lock ring is exactly what broke on my t-wrench about 2 mo after I got it, I actually wired it together and still use it, its 20yrs old now at least. Have a 3/8 and 1/2 ratchet in a spare parts bin that turned into knuckle busters in less than a year....and no, I dont use cheater bars on my ratchets. I still buy Craftsman some, but not like I did 20 yrs ago.

okie

okie

I have bought 2 like new Proto torque wrenches off of ebay for $30 each. For that price, you can send them off to be calibrated if that makes you feel better, but chances are you won't need to. Torque wrenches are one of those tools that a lot of people buy and hardly ever use, so just buy a name brand that appears nice. If it's covered in grease and all scratched up, it was probably used by an everyday mechanic, which is what you want to avoid.

My Craftsman has lasted a long life.

But the best part is that I'm so old, that I have a lifetime guarantee on mine.

Here's to being an old fart!

Borka tool :
- Never needs calibrated
- Small... Stores in pack
- adjust as hi as you will need for any gun
- under $100./

Just my 2 cents.

M

There are items that need so much torque (sometimes) that one needs to use a 'torque multiplier' which is quite the contraption in and of itself.

And for really small things if you run it backwards, it can then be a 'torque divider', right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPER-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Borka tool :
- Never needs calibrated
- Small... Stores in pack
- adjust as hi as you will need for any gun
- under $100./

Just my 2 cents.

M </div></div>

Can't use a Borka to torque on a barrel. Many guys on here own switch barrel rifles.

But, Borka is the way to go for your under 75 inch-lb needs. I use mine all the time.

Its not a torque wrench, but my craftsman 3/8 socket driver went tits up about 2 months ago, and i took it to the store and they replaced it no questions asked. brand new one off the shelf. My torque wrench manual from craftsman states lifetime warranty, its only 2 years old.

Can someone explain how the borka works?

I see the little knob on the flat piece is supposed to move once the correct torque is applied?

What keeps this from wearing out or needing to be serviced?

It's interesting that the Borka has had multiple suggestions when the OP is talking about a 20-100 ft/lb torque wrench. Do you guys not even understand what it is that you own?

I would suggest a SK. There are several at steep discounts to be found on ebay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HunterH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think all craftsman has a lifetime warranty </div></div>

That used to be true Hunter but not for a while. Craftsman has really gone down hill IMO. No lifetime on torque wrenches or ratchets I know. That plastic lock ring is exactly what broke on my t-wrench about 2 mo after I got it, I actually wired it together and still use it, its 20yrs old now at least. Have a 3/8 and 1/2 ratchet in a spare parts bin that turned into knuckle busters in less than a year....and no, I dont use cheater bars on my ratchets. I still buy Craftsman some, but not like I did 20 yrs ago.

okie

okie

Mine broke also and I still use it too.

for an AI all you need is something around 100 ft lbs. if you do it with the same wrench every time your zero will not change. brand probably doesn't matter too much. if you have a harbor freight near you I would just go there. thats what i use on mine and it does the job.

I know that AI recommends 100 foot-pounds for AW barrel torquing, but you don't really need that much if you're not fighting a war with it. Bench rest guys use much less torque on their barrels, my KWM rifle with Surgeon action is torqued to about 25 foot-pounds. You will need a great barrel vise that will hold without slipping or marring your barrel at 100 foot-pounds.

I would also recommend against crapsman. I purchased a couple of CDI wrenches for motorcycle maintenance and I'm really happy. They are essentially the cheap version of Snap-On

I have two Snap-On 1/2" torque wrenches in this range - a dial type that I tend to use for precision stuff such as engine builds, and a clicker-type that works better for applications where it's not easy to read a dial (such as suspension work).

Both were purchased on eBay for under $100. I also have some smaller Snap-On 3/8" dial torque wrenches that were purchased for around $60. It just takes a moderate amount of patience.

I purchased a couple of CDI wrenches for motorcycle maintenance and I'm really happy. They are essentially the cheap version of Snap-On

Was just about to post this. CDI makes Snap-On. I wouldnt call it the cheap version of Snap-On, I would say the OEM of Snap-On so its the same quality. I have heard CDI also makes Proto, but I havent been able to confirm. They sure look the damn same.

Craftsmen is hit or miss. I will buy their sockets, ratchets, breaker bars, screw drivers, etc... Stuff that still has a lifetime warranty. Everything else I skip.

I see the little knob on the flat piece is supposed to move once the correct torque is applied?

Explanation:

http://www.borkatools.com/pages/atd12/pdf/How Borka Driver works.pdf

You can probably wear it out, just use it every single day to mount a scope and tighten action screws on one rifle, say, with a total of 20 cycles of torque applications per rifle a day. If you do this every day for approximately 8 years, I would expect my torque driver to be in need of evalution, possible spring replacement and re-calibration. On a serious note, it's just a HAND TOOL with no power drive - can you really wear out a hand tool? To extend the life of a torque driver under EXTENSIVE use, I do advise to follow this procedure:

http://www.borkatools.com/pages/atd12/pdf/PM procedure.pdf

Because it is not a common situation for shooters to use Borka torque drivers every single day, common sense is fully applicable here, and there is no need to worry about wear or re-calibration. My tool is intended for use by the individuals and is not a subject to industrial type audits, which do require compliance with various quality standards, specifically, having a lab or production type torque tools checked, calibrated and labeled with an appropriate sticker at least once every two years, or more often, if torque tools see heavy use in production.

Boris
Borka Tools

Last edited:
It's interesting that the Borka has had multiple suggestions when the OP is talking about a 20-100 ft/lb torque wrench. Do you guys not even understand what it is that you own?

I do not recall making any multiple suggestions to OP in this thread. I do agree that my current MG driver does not go above 72 inch-lbs., so it would not be suitable for OP's goal of having a tool capable of delivering 100 inch-lbs.

To my knowledge, it's a bearing surface with spring tension. I believe he advises to have it serviced (calibrated) by him if you are using it alot, say an Armorer for a large group, etc or you are a Gunsmith. Dang, didn't read the whole thread---

Last edited:
I do not recall making any multiple suggestions to OP in this thread. I do agree that my current MG driver does not go above 72 inch-lbs., so it would not be suitable for OP's goal of having a tool capable of delivering 100 inch-lbs.

He wants 100 ft/lbs, not 100 in/lbs. It is borderline silly at this point how many times Borka has been referenced in this thread.

It isn't the right tool for this and never was, but tactical tommy and the funky bunch feel it is necessary to recommend it regardless. You should feel good about your advertising at this point. Your tool has made it to cult level status.

Explanation:

http://www.borkatools.com/pages/atd12/pdf/How Borka Driver works.pdf

You can probably wear it out, just use it every single day to mount a scope and tighten action screws on one rifle, say, with a total of 20 cycles of torque applications per rifle a day. If you do this every day for approximately 8 years, I would expect my torque driver to be in need of evalution, possible spring replacement and re-calibration. On a serious note, it's just a HAND TOOL with no power drive - can you really wear out a hand tool? To extend the life of a torque driver under EXTENSIVE use, I do advise to follow this procedure:

http://www.borkatools.com/pages/atd12/pdf/PM procedure.pdf

Because it is not a common situation for shooters to use Borka torque drivers every single day, common sense is fully applicable here, and there is no need to worry about wear or re-calibration. My tool is intended for use by the individuals and is not a subject to industrial type audits, which do require compliance with various quality standards, specifically, having a lab or production type torque tools checked, calibrated and labeled with an appropriate sticker at least once every two years, or more often, if torque tools see heavy use in production.

Boris
Borka Tools

Thanks Boris,

Looks like a really solid design, and is light to boot.

In fact I ordered a MG4 from your website yesterday. Seems like no one else stocks that kit and I like the idea of more of the money going to the guy who makes them anyway.

Cheers.

The Craftsman wrench is a decent value if you use it as a hobbyist or backyard mechanic. Initial cost is much less, but if you investigate you'll find it costs $35 to have it recalibrated per event. If you use one every day, a wrench that comes with "lifetime calibration" makes more sense. Comparitively speaking, the Snap-On that costs 5 times as great initially but is calibrated for no additional charge (nothing's free, you pay up front) turns out to be cheaper in the long run. I'm not familiar with MAC tools but perhaps that's why it might be more expensive initially for the same components if it indeed has some type of "no charge" calibration guarantee attached. As always, YMMV...........

Here is my attempt to clear up this thread for all involved, disregarding the start of this thread on 09/12 which may be why the op has not responded.

- The weapon system on discussion is a accuracy international AE which is undergoing a barrel change process. To undergo a barrel change you will need a torque wrench for two steps in the process:
1. Installing new barrel to action: new barrel is in blocks, tightening action to barrel - this process requires a action wrench in he action and tightening the action to the barrel: this step requires a torque wrench capable of 100 ft./lbs. also per my action wrench it is easily accomplished with a 1/2in. Drive "click style" torque wrench with a deep well socket
ae.jpg
2. Installing barreled action into the chassis. This step requires a torque wrench capable of 89 in./lbs. to tighten to ai's specs. The borka kit is not rated for this. I use a 3/8 in. Cdi "click style" torque wrench for this step.

Video for reference made by 8541 tactical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkz6M0ObSbY, also note photo is from the video

So when it comes to a barrel change on an aiae the borka kit is not applicable for the job at hand. However when it comes to mounting the scope it comes in handy and is the kit I would recommend for optics installation.

Last edited:
Not to try and make a sell in the OP thread but here is a deal on a:

If anyone needs something of this size.

I've got a 1" drive Snap-on torque wrench I could let go for a good price or trade. It's the model with the head and handle and the extension. Not sure of the rating but I can get you all the info. I got it for pressure washing a guys house. It way bigger than I need so I could make a deal for it to someone in need. If interested give me a PM.

2. Installing barreled action into the chassis. This step requires a torque wrench capable of 89 in./lbs.
The AI spec is 6 Newton-meters (N-m) for the AICS, which translates to about 53 inch-pounds. The AI AE spec must be 10 N-m. Remington action screws usually require 65 inch-pounds.

Last edited:
I bought a CDI in/lb wrench for use on the in/lb side of things. I'm getting ready to order another in ft/lb for use with my AI AE MKIII barrel swaps. I've been very pleased with the CDI brand. They have the feel of quality.