• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need a little advice for building a "snubby"

TheGunner

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Germany
www.gunners-place.com
Hi all,
I have been lurking here for a while and tortured the search-mode but now I have some questions.
Just short about me, I am a cop who is very much into handguns and carbines. But after I left the Army 15 years ago I have not touched a scoped rifle.

For my project I plan to buy a Rem. LTR .308 and cut down the barrel down to 16" or 17" and put a brake on it. Right now I am looking at one from PWS since I have them on my carbines and they work very well.

What can I expact from a rifle short like 16" or 17" ?
I want to punch a little paper at 300m and shoot mil.-style targets as far out as I can.
But how far will this be?
What do you think, at what distance can I hit a IDPA-style target center-of-mass ?
I will only use factory ammo and I know that is´t the shooter not the rifle who is hitting the target.
But what is a short .308 SSG capable of ?

Do you have any other ideas for the base rifle ?
Since it will be my play rifle I don´t want to invest to much in it.
The stock and scope will eat enough bucks
wink.gif

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Gunner

Re: Need a little advice for building a "snubby"

It's useful to do a search on this site before asking questions, especially if you're a new guy on the site, as most topics like this have been covered in considerable depth before.

Here's one to get you started. Notice that this is an advanced Google search restricted only to Sniper's Hide.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...amp;safe=active

If you cut 3 to 4" off the ltr you are going to be in the flutes. I don't know what effect if any that will have, but you may want to research it. Also if you are going to replace the stock, then you why not just get the sps tactical?

Thanks for the hint with google.
That helped a lot. The regular search-system is more a pita.
But if you have any further ideas about the snubby-project, don´t hold back.

Why I don´t want an SPS Tac. ?
Because I like the floodings on the barrel.
Yeah I guess that I would cut inro the floodings...I don´t know if this is a problem, you guy´s are the pros on SSG´s
If I had to cut down a rifle with a regular barrel I guess I would go with a T3.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Gunner