• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need some SPR scope advice.

Brosome

Machinist
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
I'm looking at glass for an SPR/precision-AR build in the 3-9x or 2-10x variable power range that will probably serve double duty on a 308 AR with something like a Larue QD mount. Intended use would be mostly for paper punching and steel ringing from 100-600 yards and possibly some deer and varmint hunting.

My budget is pretty flexible as I'm not in a huge rush to get it and I can save up a couple more months if needed. At the bottom end of my budget I was looking at the SS 3-9x but I was wondering how worth it stepping up to a NF 2.5-10x would be.

Or is there another option I haven't considered yet (besides the Vortex 2.5-10x)

If you are used to the Vortex 2.5-10x44...well it kinda sucked. The 2.5-10x32 is a really credible scope from all of my experiences with it.

NF makes the 2.5-10 in both x32 and x42. The x42 scope is very different than the x32. Much more expensive, but possibly worth it. Heck - it almost has as many features as the Vortex 2.5-10x32.

The new Steiner 3-15 T5Xi is my next scope for exactly the kind of question you are asking. Its big, but man it's cheap and full of features. Made in the USA just helps that much more.

If you have a substantial budget, the Leupold MK6 M5C2 with the Horus reticles is totally full of win.

If you are building a MK 12 SPR clone, then purists will tell you to get the NF 2.5-10x24 (if you can find it) or the Leupy 3.5-10x40 or Leupy 2.5-8x36. They will usually let it slide if you concede with getting the NF 2.5-10x32 since the x24 model is such a PITA to find.

Personally, I will not buy any of these scopes unless I am spending someone else's money. NF scopes are rock solid, have great glass, and have a well deserved reputation for quality and ruggedness, but I think you pay an inflated premium for the NF name. I think other scopes provide better value for less money. This is just my opinion.

The Leupolds, again while rugged, are not my thing because you get to use a mil reticle with MOA turrets. No thank you.

Seems like you don't really want the Vortex 2.5-10x32, but I think this is one of the best value SPR scopes on the market. Good glass, many more features than the NF, and a great warranty from a solid company if you ever need it. Since you're not going to be using this scope on a 2 way range in the mountains or in the sand box, it should give you everything you need unless you gotta have NF bling.

If you want something a little nicer and plan to keep your shooting inside 600 yards, I would go for the Vortex Gen II 1-6. The JM-1 reticle is easy. Zero it at 200 yards and you have convenient BDC ranging all the way out to 600 yards with glass just as good as a S&B. Holds will work for 223 and 308. Keep in mind that this would not be for gnat's ass precision use; but (my opinion) that's what bolt guns are for.

If those Vortex scopes aren't your thing, save up for a NF 2.5-10x32 with whatever bells and whistles you like. Sometimes you can get a descent deal on a used one in the PX.

So would I really need to step even further up to like a USO 1.8-10x to get a real noticeable upgrade in glass?

My AR10 wears a NF 2.5-10x42 and I highly recommend it. Mine is mostly range and pigs, and it works exceedingly well for both.

I hear many say you pay extra for the NF brand, but have yet to find a scope of comparable quality and features for a better price. If you go that route, check with Hide sponsors, you can usually get a decent deal.

I've tried many things on range/pig guns, the NF is my favorite. It isn't too big and heavy for the gun, as many are, and it is very, very dependable. Glass isn't the best, but is far better than decent.

Brosome, built a MK12 mod 0 clone, had a NXS 2.5-10x24 to top it off to make it complete. Well unfortunately for some uses the scope just didn't fulfill all my needs. After a pretty decent search and having looked at and used a wide variety of scopes I went with the Leupold MK6 3-18 with the TMR, IMHO a huge improvement on previous leupold products. FFP, good magnification range, excellent glass, solid reticle, light weight, and can do double duty on a bolt gun.

So would I really need to step even further up to like a USO 1.8-10x to get a real noticeable upgrade in glass?

Don't get stuck on glass, you aren't taking pictures or looking at rainbows with the scope, NF glass is much better than "good enough" to identify the target and send rounds. I have scopes with appreciably better glass, and have never felt any deficiency in the NF while actually using it. If you put it side-by-side with a Hensoldt, you'll like the Henny glass better, but both have a place - and the Henny is at least 2X the price.

Forget glass, once you are into quality optics, especially in this mag range, it is not the limiting factor. "Good enough" is good enough, "awesome" gets expensive and has no real advantage.

Given your stated objectives, the NF will more than suffice.
The SS3-9 isn't bad at all, but it doesn't have the features the NF does. Nor the price.

And don't do LaRue, they chew up rails something fierce. Look at American Defense or Aadmount, rock solid, very good lockup, and good return to zero (or mine have been, and far better than my old LaRues.)

I found the "period correct" nightforce 2.5-10x24 to suck. 10x + 24mm objective = too ambitious. As other posters have said the 1-6 Vortex is one of the best scopes I've seen in the 1-6x not-insane-cost market.

To follow mjh30's comment, the leupold MK6 3-18 is just a whole leap and bound beyond anything I've seen from Leupold before. Great mechanicals and glass, and its lightweight. It costs right at the same as the NF 2.5-10x42, and it weighs close.

As to mounts, I have yet to find anything better than the BOBRO. No adjustment rail to rail.

Last edited:
Read JimBigFish's review of the USO 1.8-10. For the money, I think its performance is lackluster. Everyone has been surprised by the Vortex Gen II 1-6. I haven't compared it side by side with the USO 1.8-10, but the glass quality on the Gen II is on par with my S&B.

1-8x+ scopes get real expensive. Again, not something I would purchase unless I got to spend someone else's $. The leupy 3-18 is nice, but IMO is way too much scope for an AR. If my only rifle was a precision AR-10 then I might consider something like that; but I'd rather put a scope like that on my Surgeon bolt gun.

The 2.5-10x32 NF is a decent AR scope, but for its price it has no SF and is SFP. Also, you get to pay more money for a ZS and HS turrets. The 2.5-10x32 PST is FFP, has a zero stop, has near the same optical quality, and can be had for $800-$1K less. There are plenty of other options too, such as the SWFA 3-9 or 3-15 and the Bushnell LRHS 3-12.

Ya, think ill just pick up the SS 3-9x and call it a day, spend the difference on ammo :p

If a 1-6ish power scope is an option for you (which it sounds like you want more mag, but idk if its really needed). I would suggest you check out the bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24. More than enough mag power to do 600 yards imo just short of something like FTR competitions and can be had for under $700 new. I picked mine off Ebay for $620 a month of so ago (even called Bushnell to verify the serial number). Got the second focal plane (cause really, is FFP needed out too 600 yards on a 6.5 power scope? not imo since i will always have it at highest mag for anything outside of 250ish yards) with the BTR-2 (i think thats what it is called, whatever the mil version is). Works great at 1x also, much better than I had imagined it would for up close stuff and since its second focal plane the illumination is really really good imo for that type of scope (generally a FFP scope is harder to illuminate well for a daylight type illumination). I know some of you are probably Bushnell haters but I have the 3.5-21 DMR with H59 reticle also and love that thing. Only problem I had was stripping the turret screw, called bushnell and had a replacement plus a spare free of charge in 3 days. Wouldn't hesitate to buy bushnell in the future.

You won't regret owning any of the NF compact scopes. I started out with the NF 2.5-10x24 and was amazed at the brightness and clarity of the scope with such a small objective lens.

IMG_1664.JPG

The NF 2.5-10x32 came along and upped the performance even more.

IMG_0005_2_3.jpg

But, the new NF 2.5-10x42 is simply in a league of its own. What a capable optic!

IMG_3594.jpg

Nightforce recently made a limited run of their 2.5-10x24, with upgrades like their Power Throw Lever (PTL) and the offering of their popular Mil-R and MOAR reticles.

image.png

They did not last long. Hopefully, this scope will be put into production some day. There are still a few floating around out there.

Last edited:
You won't regret owning any of the NF compact scopes. I started out with the NF 2.5-10x24 and was amazed at the brightness and clarity of the scope with such a small objective lens.

IMG_1664.JPG

The NF 2.5-10x32 cam along and upped the performance even more.

IMG_0166.jpg

But, the new NF 2.5-10x42 is simply in a league of its own. What a capable optic!

IMG_3594.jpg

Nightforce recently made a limited run of their 2.5-10x24, with upgrades like their Power Throw Lever (PTL) and the offering of their popular Mil-R and MOAR reticles.

NXS2.5-10x24Enhanced_SpecSheet_10May14.pdf

They did not last long. Hopefully, this scope will be put into production some day. There are still a few floating around out there.

Okay those are some beautiful rifles. What handguard/rail is on the last one (w/ the 2.5-10x44 NF and coated FDE)? I like that.

I lost sleep for the past 4 months trying to decide what optic to put on my AR15 Recce rifle. I wanted something that allowed me to make accurate hits out to 600yds while still be usable inside 50yds. I was going to go with the Vortex 1-6 but was steered towards the Leupold 1.5-5x20 illuminated CMR2 optic. I already have my P308 with the Leupold 3.5-10x40 for hits past 600 yds.

I actually received my Leupold in today's mail. Barrel, receiver and flash hider are out being cerakoted. Just waiting for ADM AD-Recon and the parts to come back from cerakote. Hope to have everything put back together to test the glass in the next 3 weeks.

Here's some pics of my Recce rifle with WOA 16" SS Match barrel and the new glass

Leupold Mark4 1.5-5x20 CMR2

POF P308 w/Leupold Mark4 3.5-10x40

Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm or the 42mm would be my fist choice.
Leupold Mark6 3-18x44mm
Leupold Mark4 3.5-10x40mm with the M2 or M5 turrets
Kahles 3-12x50mm

If price is a factor then I would look at:
Vortex PST 2.5-10x44mm or 32mm or HST 4-16x44mm
Burris XRTII 2.5-10x42mm (these scopes look very promising)

I have a pst 2.5-10x32 on my 'spr' and like it a lot. It has everything you want for that sort of rifle. The Nightforce 2.5-10x32/42 if you can swing it is like that vortex except only better. Those are what I would get, or a leupold M2/M3 but ONLY if you get a screaming deal. 600 bucks or so would be my limit.

$600 for a Leupold M3 or NF?

Good luck, I'll take two for that price

I would rather put $600 towards a 3-15 SWFA than a used Leupy. You'll get more scope. You won't get style points from the purists though.

OK, so my little SPR is a low-ball budget rig, but it shoots great out to 600yds with either Nosler or Sierra 77BTHP handloads. I went with a WOA mid-length gas system SPR 1-7tw bbl, which is probably a button rifled Wilson blank contoured, chambered, & finished by WOA. Nothing exotic about the RRA TRO handguard, either. I found a Weaver 20 MOA sloped rail/riser, and mounted a Weaver 3-15x42 SuperSlam in TPS TSR rings. Don't know where the two short picatinney rails at the front of the handguard came from - they were a gift from Gunner75 - but they work fine for anchoring the Vickers Combat Application sling on the left side, and will work fine with a light or whatever else I might need from time to time on the right side.

Point is, the little 1" Weaver gets me out to 600 with no problem, optical quality is fine for this app, it tracks good, is fairly lightweight, and isn't a bit oversized for this rifle. Don't know whether they're still in production, but found this one on sale at Midway for around $350.

Attachments

• DSC_0899.JPG
    DSC_0899.JPG
    746.8 KB · Views: 36