• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need some SUPER quick answers please on Mossberg MVP LC

Snip-er

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2017
I have the opportunity to get a Mossberg MVP LC in 380 for $800. Only has 80 rounds through it. I've been looking for a long distance rifle and this one is on a chassis. If any of you have seen my other post, my budget is minimal. I've seen what these go for. Anyone familiar with this weapon? How does it shoot? Is it a pretty good shooter? Would it be worth it to get it for this price. I am only going to be punching paper and shooting steel, no hunting, but I want to be able to try and reach out to 1000 yards. Will this gun do it? Any help as I am short on time as I am supposed to possibly get it this evening. I appreciate any help on a short notice. Thanks.

When I hear mossberg I think sloppy.

For 150 more including shipping and ffl fees you can get a Howa HCR. I would do that every day over owning mossberg. Or the ruger from the other thread or I bet you could get a savage on sale and come in under that price point.

When I hear mossberg I think sloppy.

For 150 more including shipping and ffl fees you can get a Howa HCR. I would do that every day over owning mossberg. Or the ruger from the other thread or I bet you could get a savage on sale and come in under that price point.

Thank you, thats what I was looking for. Some info like that. I really like the Howa HCR, but what do you know about the Savage Stealth? Is it a good weapon? How does it compare the RCR or the Howa?

Not trying to start a 308 vs 6.5 debate at all, but if you are buying a rifle to shoot out to 1000 yards, go 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of good factory ammo options that will get you there easy.

Also, look at the Tikka CTR.

My opinion is the same as the others. Go with a 6.5 creedmoor in either a Howa HCR, Tikka CTR, Savage Stealth, or Ruger Precision rifle. They are better built and similarly priced to the Mossberg.

If you really want to go cheap then get a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 creedmoor.

i have shot a friend's mvp....he bought one just for kicks. with the right ammo, it shoots 1 hole groups at 100. so there is that. no bias, no bs...that is the only experience i have with them. with the ammo it didnt like, it was ugly.

at any rate....800 doesnt seem like much of a deal to me at all. i dont see what the rush is.

Well, thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I was really looking into the 6.5 Creedmore, and wanted to go that way, but I ended up just buying and getting a pretty good deal on a Savage Stealth in .308. I am happy, and it will suit me for what I want to do. Now on to finding the right optics for it :) u all can chime in on that as well if you like lol. Thanks everyone.

I am a Tikka guy, but my brother had a Mossberg 100 ATR that was a sub-MOA rifle, and it cost $250. When I hear the hate on Mossberg, I just assume it's from people who have never shot one. They make an excellent rifle for the money. About half the price and half the group size of most unmodified Rem 700s that I've seen.

The Howa HCR is a great value in roughly the same price range as the Savage Stealth, but they're both good rifles. The Stealth in 308 should suffice for whatever you need. And it's made in the USA. I had a Savage 11VT in 308 that was an absolute tack-driver.

What is your optics budget?

I am a Tikka guy, but my brother had a Mossberg 100 ATR that was a sub-MOA rifle, and it cost $250. When I hear the hate on Mossberg, I just assume it's from people who have never shot one. They make an excellent rifle for the money. About half the price and half the group size of most unmodified Rem 700s that I've seen.

The Howa HCR is a great value in roughly the same price range as the Savage Stealth, but they're both good rifles. The Stealth in 308 should suffice for whatever you need. And it's made in the USA. I had a Savage 11VT in 308 that was an absolute tack-driver.

What is your optics budget?

When those MVP's first came out and I was working at a gun counter still, they would break just from customers handling them. I could care less if they shoot ok. The bottom metal snapping, the stocks cracking and the bolt binding before the gun leaves the store are more than enough reason to go with anything else. $800 is the price of a tikka ctr. You could also buy one of those $250 howa barreled action and throw it in several stocks or chassis for less.

When those MVP's first came out and I was working at a gun counter still, they would break just from customers handling them. I could care less if they shoot ok. The bottom metal snapping, the stocks cracking and the bolt binding before the gun leaves the store are more than enough reason to go with anything else. $800 is the price of a tikka ctr. You could also buy one of those $250 howa barreled action and throw it in several stocks or chassis for less.

Yeah I wouldn't spend $800 on a Mossberg. But their low-end stuff is well built and plenty accurate enough for hunting purposes. My brother has taken a bunch of hogs with his 270.

First, fix the original post; the rifle is more likely chambered in 308 than 380. The LC (Light Chassis) model is a bunch pricier than the offered price (MSRP: $1,407.00), so one with 80 rounds through it is gonna be a genuine bargain. I'd pay attention if one was offered my way, but I'm also currently adequately equipped with 1000yd (including 308) rifles.

My experience with the MVP series involves my MVP Predator 5.56, which is an outright fun gun. With the right ammo, it's an accurate implement, tough enough to be a truck gun, and capable enough for deer at reasonable (150-200yd max) distances, and can keep on tickin' with USGI AR-compatible magazines. I consider it a decent backup rifle to my 16" AR's and the magazines interchange.

I get it that folks are hesitant about the Mossberg name, but maybe times have changed since they got their last good look at the products. I think Mossberg is a viable competitor for Savage products (they incorporate many very similar features), and I like Savage products. It was my MVP 5.56 that changed my mind about Mossberg, I flat out love the gun.

LC308/SR25 pattern magazines are usable with the .308 version. It's not quite as convenient an arrangement as the 5.56 and AR mags, but it is something.

Me, I'd like the 20" version with the 6.5CM chambering better for LR, but you'll get good, maybe stellar, maybe not, performance with the 308. If you are new to the LR game, it shouldn't be an impediment in any case.

Greg

PS, just saw your post about the Savage Stealth, should be a good choice; I would be alternatively considering one in your situation.

Last edited: