• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Steyr Scout RFR Rimfire Rifle

travels4fun

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2014
Cave Creek AZ
I'm seriously considering buying one since they are currently on sale for $489 at gunprime.com which seems like a good deal. I was hoping to hear from anyone who owns one or who has handled one. I haven't been able to find much in the way of real hands feedback or reviews on the gun.

For those who haven't seen one, the Steyr Scout RFR comes with a threaded 20" heavy barrel, 10 round metal clip, and has a biathlon-inspired straight pull action which seems to be similar to the Match 54 Fortner action found on the $3000+ Anschutz 1727F. The Scout RFR is offered in .17 HMR, .22 LR, and .22 WMR. I would opt for the .17 HMR if I end up buying one.

What do you guys think? dsc_0035-new.jpg

ISSC rifle with Steyr name on it. Some sort of polymer receiver if I recall correctly. Action on the ISSC sample I handled seems OK but the rifle was very light. I understand that the synthetic stock, as shown, increases the weight slightly. Basically a lightweight rifle for a lightly built person, in my estimation OR a trapline rifle.

i'm seriously considering buying one since they are currently on sale for $489 which seems like a good deal. I was hoping to hear from anyone who owns one or who has handled one. I haven't been able to find much in the way of real hands feedback or reviews on the gun.

For those who haven't seen the one, the steyr scout rfr, comes with a threaded 20" heavy barrel and uses a biathlon-inspired straight pull action which rarely found on guns costing less than $2000. The scout rfr is offered in .17 hmr, .22 lr, and .22 wmr. I would opt for the 17 hmr if i end up buying one.

What do you guys think?

nice

ISSC rifle with Steyr name on it. Some sort of polymer receiver if I recall correctly. Action on the ISSC sample I handled seems OK but the rifle was very light. I understand that the synthetic stock, as shown, increases the weight slightly. Basically a lightweight rifle for a lightly built person, in my estimation OR a trapline rifle.

Thanks for your feedback. If the Steyr Scout RFR is indeed an ISSC built rifle licensed by Steyr, then I'll pass. The ISSC built Anschutz MSR RX22 comes to mind which was plagued with problems. I should have known there is no way Steyr would build a rifle that costs less than $500. Such a bummer.

Looks like a plastic version of the Ishmash Biathon Basic "Toggle-Bolt" action. I like the stock. Would like to have one like that for my Ishmash... Irish

I like it, looking forward to someone doing a range / field report.

Oh,and... metal clip below:

Attachments

• photo64334.jpg
    photo64334.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: awp101
Not much info out there on these. The thing I noticed which is hopefully a typo that just keeps getting cut and pasted is that the muzzle is threaded 1/2"x20 instead of 1/2"x28. If the former is true they should probably change that posthaste!

Neat rifle except for the threading.

Model: Scout RFR
Manufacturer: Steyr Mannlicher GmbH, Kleinraming, Austria
Importer: Steyr Arms, Inc., Bessemer, AL
Caliber: .17 HMR, .22 LR, 22. WMR
Magazine type/capacity: 10 Round Metal Magazine
Barrel: 1/2"-20 UNF Threaded 20"
Trigger type: Direct Trigger
Stock material/type: Black Polymer
Recoil pad: Elastomer with spacers to adjust length of pull
Checkering: None
Weight, empty: 7.3 lbs
Overall length: 35.6"

So.....is it an actual Steyr, or an ISSC? If Steyr I'd consider one, though the threading definitely needs to be changed to 1/2X28.

That looks like a nice rifle. I wonder how much work it would take to shorten the stock for a seven year old.

1/2-20 is standard for european rifles, 1/2-28 is the US standard. Over there, 1/2-20 is an obscure pitch...kind of like 1/2-28 here. Go figure.