• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to reloading. What else do I need?

BMerino

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Utah
Hello all. This is my first time posting and joined the site primarily for getting some reloading info. I'm new to this reloading thing and have purchased most of what I've been told I need. Just want any input from the pro's on what else I may need. I've listed what I go below. Any info is appreciated. Loading for my duty .308 Rem 700 rifle for personal shooting and competition not deployment. The rifle is personally owned.

1)Hornady Lock N Load Classic Kit (included parts listed)
2)Single Stage press
3)Hornady GS 1500 electronic scale
4)powder dispenser
5)Hand primer
6)Redding powder trickler
7)primer pocket uniformer
8)flash hole reamer
9)Redding S-type match .308 die set (ordered)

Thanks again for any help you can provide. Also any advice for the new guy getting started will be greatly appreciated.

Re: New to reloading. What else do I need?

Bullets
laugh.gif

Just kidding.

I'd strongly suggest the RCBS VLD tool for the case mouth and some Hornady One Shot lube.

You're right the bullets would make it a heck of a lot funner. I have the one shot lube sorry I didn't mention that before. What does the VLD Tool do for the case mouth?

Knocks off any burrs and makes sort of a very slight funnel so the bullets seat easier and don't get all scratched up.

About $13

RCBS Chamfer and Deburring Tool VLD (Very Low Drag)
912908.jpg

Cool. Noted and will be looking into it. Thanks.

funny you mention that thread I'm printing it off now for future "Nature Calls Reading."

Calipers, Loading blocks, Case lube, tumbler, primer flip tray, powder funnels, loading manuals, labels to record your load info onto to put on you boxes.

That is a few off the top of the head!

Terry

Before you buy anything else, get yourself a Lyman's Handloading Manual and read the stuff between the data chapters. There is more useable information in that one manual than in 4 others. They aren't trying to sell you powder, primers or bullets. Just give you information to get started with.

I've been handloading for over 35 years. The Lyman's Manual is my "go to" book to start a new ...anything.