• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New X-Ray Chassis from KRG-now shipping!

I would love to see some pictures of the innards of this chassis. Can Justin or one of the new chassis owners post some pictures please? Especially what the stock looks like with the plastic covers removed. Thanks!

I would love to see some pictures of the innards of this chassis. Can Justin or one of the new chassis owners post some pictures please? Especially what the stock looks like with the plastic covers removed. Thanks!

If you have a bit of a look on KRG's website you'll see how they do things - the 'bedding block' forms the heart of the chassis.
Welcome to KRG
That page shows a 'bedding block' that fits in a Sako TRG stock, but is the same as how the Whiskey and XRAY work - the forend bolts onto the front of the block, the rear end/folder/fixed part of the stock slides around the back of the bedding block and bolts on.

I got the X-ray delivered yesterday, but haven't had a chance to mount my Tikka in it yet. That will have to wait till I am back in town, but maybe I'll be able to get the spigot mount by then too.

Any recommendations on what AICS magazines to run with this chassis? I'm liking the Alpha mags (Alpha Type 2 Magazine / AICS Short Action 308). Does anyone know if a Type 2 will work, or should I stick with a Type 1?

I got the X-ray delivered yesterday, but haven't had a chance to mount my Tikka in it yet. That will have to wait till I am back in town, but maybe I'll be able to get the spigot mount by then too.

Any recommendations on what AICS magazines to run with this chassis? I'm liking the Alpha mags (Alpha Type 2 Magazine / AICS Short Action 308). Does anyone know if a Type 2 will work, or should I stick with a Type 1?

I have a pair of Type II Alphas at home I will be testing as soon as my X-Ray arrives. Honestly, I have no idea how well they will work in a Tikka action, but I know in R700 factory actions you have to cut/grind back the feed ramp to prevent feeding clearance issues when using the Type II mags.

There have also been recent reports of shipping delays from Alpha. You might want to do a search here for more info.

Just got my Tikka X-Ray yesterday and so far I really like it.

14114635326_3bdde225fe_z.jpg

Initial thoughts:
Everything feels nice and solid and install was quick and easy.
I'm glad that I ordered the additional large grips. I have large hands and the included small grips were just too small for me.
The grippy overmolded cheek piece upgrade is awesome and the recoil pad is also nice and soft.
The length of pull was really short so I think most will need the spacers.
All of the adjustments were great and it was pretty easy to get the fitment to my liking.
The included Magpul polymer front rail is ok for now but I will definitely be ordering one of the aluminum ones from KRG when they are back in stock.

I was surprised to see that you can't adjust the Tikka trigger once it's installed in the action. Possibly on future versions you could include a small 3mm hole in the mag well area that allows access to the adjustment screw? I decided not to drill any holes in my brand new chassis but probably will do it sometime.

I was able to mount both the Atlas bipod and a Daniel Defense QD sling mount to the included front rail. It worked ok with a sling but I think that attaching one of these Magpul RSA mounts to the front rail will be one of the easiest ways to get a front QD sling mount that is off to the side:

SLING MOUNTS - RSA®-QD - Rail Sling Attachment

207_1122_popup.jpg

Nice ! I like that RSA sling mount for the front attachment point. I'm glad to see it will fit behind the Atlas on the MOE rail. :) What did you use for a rear attachment ?

Last edited:
I used the "External QD sling cup" from the KRG accessories sections for the rear QD sling point.

I should mention that I haven't tried that Magpul front sling mount yet, although it looks like it should work. I have one on order.

Last edited:
KRG sells the Magpul Type 1 which is what I got. From a previous post it looks like there may be a way to use the Type 2 to have ambi mounts on the rear:

I did not get a response to my original question posted above, so I sent an email to KRG directly and received the following response:

"Info" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Sir!
The Sling Loop/QD mount can only be installed on one side unless you get
creative. You could run a long screw all the way through both mounts and
the buttstock and put a nut on the back side but we don't know if that would
work. For the QD cup, what you'll want to do is get one of the the cups
that is threaded for a screw to go into it. It's from Magpul and is the
Type 2:
SGA? ACCESSORIES - Sling Mount Kit - Type 2

You can get both of them from Magpul, a Type 1 and Type 2. The one we sell
is the Type 1. The screw that comes with the type 1 from Magpul should go
through the Type 1, through the buttstock, and thread into the type 2. You
might need to find a shorter or longer screw though. The screw that comes
with the X-ray is metric and has a metric nut. Magpul uses standard so it
will be a 10-32 or 10-24 most likely.

Thank you!
KRG

Kinetic Research Group

www.KRG-OPS.com

Hopefully this will help anyone else who also wanted to have an ambi QD option for the rear of the stock as well. I have placed an order for the Type 2 QD cup from Magpul and will see how much modification I'll have to do with the screw when it comes (probably go to ACE Hardware for those standard screws).

Yeah, I saw those too. I think I'll go with the AI mags to start with at least. Also, has anybody tried the Ruger Gunsite mags (either polymer or metal) with the Tikka T3 in X-ray or Whiskey 3? Just trying to figure out all my mag options - a shorter 10 rd mag would be nice.

I used the "External QD sling cup" from the KRG accessories sections for the rear QD sling point.

I should mention that I haven't tried that Magpul front sling mount yet, although it looks like it should work. I have one on order.

Brett,

When you get the Magpul front sling mount will you let us know how it works ? Thanks.

Yeah, I saw those too. I think I'll go with the AI mags to start with at least. Also, has anybody tried the Ruger Gunsite mags (either polymer or metal) with the Tikka T3 in X-ray or Whiskey 3? Just trying to figure out all my mag options - a shorter 10 rd mag would be nice.

The polymer Ruger mags are tempting due to the cost, but they have to be modified to fit in the mag well of most R700 AI bottom metal units. Apparently the exterior ribs on the magazine get in the way and have to be cut/ground/shaved off.

Brett,

When you get the Magpul front sling mount will you let us know how it works ? Thanks.

Yes I will. I have a few other QD mounts hanging around too so I will take some pictures when the Magpul one arrives.

Just got the type 2 QD cup from Magpul this morning, and the X-Ray (with additional type 1 QD cup from KRG) is on FedEx truck now roaming around my work making me anxious. Once I get the stock I will try to put them together to see if it'll work with stock type 1 screw (metric) and nut first, but I believe I will have to go to local hardware store and get me a SAE screw for it (10-24 or 10-32 per KRG).

Note to others who would like to have ambi QD option for the rear of the stock, just get both the Type 1 kit and Type 2 cup from Magpul and call it a day. Magpul's Type 1 kit includes SAE screws that will screw into their Type 2 cups. KRG's Type 1 cup is only supplied with metric screws. I got the KRG ambi QD mount for the front of the stock. No need to mess with Magpul rail and additional QD mount and you'll have ambi sling mount capability that is securely screwed to the stock. This would be a lower cost option to installing the Spigot mount.

Justin (aka. Massoud), when will the Adjustable Cheek Mount that allows for lateral adjustments of the cheek piece be available? I have fat cheeks and that is one thing I appreciated very much on the AICS stock I currently use. Thanks.

Use caution when swapping between the KRG metric bolts (M5x0.8) and 10-32 that the Magpul will probably require. They are VERY VERY close in both diameter and thread pitch. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, but mix them up and they'll either be slightly loose or potentially strip out. The M5 is just a few thousands larger at the root, and with a approx. 1% slower thread pitch. It's not enough to see with your eye, but it's enough to cause issues.

10-32 = 32tpi M5 x 0.8 = 25.4/0.8 = ~31.75tpi

The M5 bolts will require an M3 hex key. If you can use a standard hex key without a loose fit, you're probably using a 10-32 bolt.

Scott

Use caution when swapping between the KRG metric bolts (M5x0.8) and 10-32 that the Magpul will probably require. They are VERY VERY close in both diameter and thread pitch. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, but mix them up and they'll either be slightly loose or potentially strip out. The M5 is just a few thousands larger at the root, and with a approx. 1% slower thread pitch. It's not enough to see with your eye, but it's enough to cause issues.

10-32 = 32tpi M5 x 0.8 = 25.4/0.8 = ~31.75tpi

The M5 bolts will require an M3 hex key. If you can use a standard hex key without a loose fit, you're probably using a 10-32 bolt.

Scott

Thanks much for the info, so if I understand correctly, I shouldn't try to make the metric screws work, and just go get the correct screws that will screw into the Type 2 cup, correct?

I would not try to mix the KRG hardware with the Magpul type 2 unit. Hit a Home Depot or Lowe's - either should have an assortment of 10-32 button head screws. Or you could use two Type-1 units back to back with a nut and bolt from the KRG kit. The only reason I personally would do it this way is so that I only have to keep a single 3mm hex key with the rifle to tighten all the screws. When you have a mix of metric and standard hardware, whether it's a rifle or a race car (my day job), then it gets REALLY confusing, and you need a lot more tools at hand.

Scott

Yes I will. I have a few other QD mounts hanging around too so I will take some pictures when the Magpul one arrives.

Thanks. I'm interested to know if you think the MOE L2 rail is strong enough to support both the Bipod and the sling attachment point.

Got the ambi QD cup squared away finally at the butt stock location. I used both a Type 1 and Type 2 Magpul QD cup, and connected the two with one 10-32 x 3/8" hex screw and it is a nice and tight fit on the stock. The 3/8" screw was just the correct length to be able to screw into the Type 2 QD cup without trimming so that was a relieve.

I ended up needing four spacers in the butt stock for a matching length of pull that I used to have on my AICS 1.5 (with two 20mm spacers). Since I didn't buy a four-spacer kit to begin with, I didn't have the correct length screw to attach it, so I ran to the nearest Ace Hardware and picked up two M5 x 50mm hex screws, which again was the perfect length for a tight install without protruding through the stock plate. Anyway, here are some poorly lit pics:

3ba5b819-9aac-4081-9f00-cebcea687438_zpsf530cd90.jpg

5e572385-24f9-476a-bf81-df8cf103c62f_zps6f32c37e.jpg

Last edited:
Pklin, thanks for the photos. That's a great looking setup.

FedEx says my stock will arrive Wednesday. That gives me a few days to get the LOP and cheek riser all dialed in, and I will have her out on the range Sunday.

Just received my X-Ray, and I am amazed at the quality and feel of this stock.
Not a single piece of overmold on the polymer parts, which have a tight fit that lends a feeling of solidity to the assembly.
Not a single machine mark on the metal parts, which were dimensionally correct, and mated well with the polymer bits.
Once I installed my spacers and adjusted the asymmetric cheek riser I got behind the stock, and the slimness of this chassis became apparent and much appreciated.
I did not expect the X-ray to feel solid and so slim. I find it a tremendous improvement on the venerable AICS chassis, though I have no experience with the latest generation of AI stocks. I like my Manners T5A, but this KRG stock feels more ergonomic. Both are fruits, but they are definitely apples and oranges.
Am waiting for the spigot mount to get a Stillers & Bartlein 6.5 CM build.

Great job KRG!

Am waiting for the spigot mount to get a Stillers & Bartlein 6.5 CM build.

Great job KRG!
It really is a great chassis. I really love mine and am really impressed by the quality that came in that chassis. Unfortunately, be aware that it does not fit the newer Stiller SPECTRE actions. It's not anyone's fault - Stiller was developing this action at the same time Justin and company were developing the KRG X-Ray, so there were no samples to test fit, but it was really disappointing when my new chassis came and it didn't fit my 6.5 CM Stiller / Brux build. I'm going to put my .223 Remington 700 5R in that chassis for now, and I'll keep shooting my AICS chassis at matches with my 6.5 CM. Hopefully the KRG guys will make the very minor changes (we're only talking about 0.020" more clearance!) needed to make this chassis fit the newer Stiller's, so I can buy another one ASAP.

Scott

I installed the Magpul RSA on the front rail and it fits with the Atlas. I think this works pretty well for a light and simple front sling mount. The rifle carries pretty well since the sling point is off to the side a bit. Note that I have the direct attach Atlas, if you have the QD model it may take up more rail space.

14189763763_29216c8d0c_z.jpg

13983084548_2a21bbc292_z.jpg

Very nice looking setups fellas. Thank you also for your kind words and support. The X-ray is not perfect but we really tried to pack the most quality in as possible.

Iggy and maybe a one or two others posted a review with the components broken down. Either way as mentioned it is the same as a Whiskey-3 basically except some components are polymer like the forend and buttstock.

The FDE stuff is still several weeks out, I don't know how many "several" is though. We do have the Sako Green forends available now. For those of you wanting a Whiskey-3 with an X-ray forend and want it in green, soon you'll be able to get the green grips as well. Sometime down the road the forend and grips will be available in FDE as well.

As for mags to use with a Tikka, the nice thing about the Tikka is that you can run mags without the restrictor/spacer plate in there. I don't know what nomenclature Alpha uses though.

Due to volume, most likely there will not be a long action X-ray. That could change, it depends on what you guys want. We do get asked about a folder sometimes also but that is not likely to happen given the design intent and our feelings about how well a folder mechanism should operate.

Thank you all for your business,
Justin

Brett,

Do you think the MOE rail will support the bipod and sling ok or do you think it is better to get the Ambi mount ? My Atlas PSR has the QD mount. The QD lever is almost flush with the right side of the MOE rail. If the screw from the Magpul RSA sticks out at all on the right, it will interfere with the QD lever. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Just got Fedex tracking for my X-Ray...

Will be taking it to Aaron Roberts for some FDE action! Will update with pics when done!

Stock remington sps tactical mounted to x-ray chassis with the adjustable cheek piece mount with victor grippy cheek piece.
IMG_0173.jpg

Stock remington sps tactical mounted to x-ray chassis with the adjustable cheek piece mount with victor grippy cheek piece.

I've been trying to get that Adjustable cheek mount so I can use my Victor cheek piece with it, but KRG is always out of stock, I'll give it a look see in a second here...

Had some time the past couple of nights so I was messing around with some paint... I'm looking for opportunities to take pictures of the fully assembled rifle but for now this is it. Tape doesn't like to stick to the slick polymer so please excuse some paint bleed... I may take some scotch pad and blend the lines a bit:

Fulllengthleft1_zpsb6d9dab7.jpg

Fulllengthright1_zps7171484f.jpg

Top_zps33411533.jpg

Bottom_zpsff10aa05.jpg

KRGLogo_zpsace43b60.jpg

Last edited:
That's a fantastic paint job. Damn.

You guys are seriously giving me the itch to paint my X-Ray when it arrives tomorrow...

I'll second a desire for LA. Im still getting a SA , but I would love a LA too.

For those of you who have mounted your Remington actions, since the X-Ray comes with a bottom metal that accepts the AICS mag, what do you need to do to join the bottom metal to the action so the magazines will feed properly?

For those of you who have mounted your Remington actions, since the X-Ray comes with a bottom metal that accepts the AICS mag, what do you need to do to join the bottom metal to the action so the magazines will feed properly?

Are you having trouble with your feeding? The stock doesn't come with a bottom metal per se... you just screw the action into the stock and it is good to go. The latch is actually on the trigger guard; not sure if that can be changed.

I have a deviant action but the idea is the same.

Is there a way to attach a sling on the bottom rear with the bag rider still attached?

Are you having trouble with your feeding? The stock doesn't come with a bottom metal per se... you just screw the action into the stock and it is good to go. The latch is actually on the trigger guard; not sure if that can be changed.

I have a deviant action but the idea is the same.

Ah, ok. I don't have my chassis yet, since I'm waiting on the FDE version, but when I asked KRG about the bottom metal, their reply made it sound like the bottom metal somehow bolted to the action as well. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes unfortunately we couldn't make the Savage work. We're exploring some other options to bring happiness to Savage/other action owners later this year.

As mentioned, the X-ray and basically all other chassis don't use a floorplate like a conventional stock, the magwell and all that is built in so you can sell off your floorplate if you want.

Regarding the long actions, right now we aren't planning one but as always if the demand is there we'll do one.

Looks like gt1 got the first adjustable cheek mount, how do you like having the Victor Co on there?

There are three mounting positions on the bottom of the buttstock, the bag rider takes up two and there is a third where you can screw in a sling stud if you'd like. Make sure you use a washer.

Thanks guys,
Justin

My X-Ray is on the 'last mile' of its trip to me today, and I should be picking it up this afternoon.
I have to admit, it has been a long time since I was this excited to get a package from the Big White Truck.

Hopefully I can get some photos posted with my AAC set up in the X-Ray later tonight.

I'll have pics up of mine tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hey, Justin, if I remember correctly (which is bordering on a 30% probability lol), I thought I read that for a Remington 700 SA in the X-Ray, I would need a spacer to use the bottom metal and mag. Is that correct? If so, does the chassis come with said spacer? Thanks!

Last edited:
No spacer needed. The front action screw does come with two washers, and you would use only one washer for Tikka actions but two washers for mounting Remington Short Actions. Other than that, no other mention of a spacer for mounting the Rem SA. Mine is feeding and ejecting fine.

No spacer needed. The front action screw does come with two washers, and you would use only one washer for Tikka actions but two washers for mounting Remington Short Actions. Other than that, no other mention of a spacer for mounting the Rem SA. Mine is feeding and ejecting fine.

Great. Thanks!

Massoud the adjustable cheek mount with victor grippy is very nice, the lateral adjustment works for me with my fat cheeks. I would recommend the adjustable mount with victor grippy cheek or use the stock cheek piece if not getting the proper cheek weld.

Massoud the adjustable cheek mount with victor grippy is very nice, the lateral adjustment works for me with my fat cheeks. I would recommend the adjustable mount with victor grippy cheek or use the stock cheek piece if not getting the proper cheek weld.

Can you post a picture of you cheek mount ? Thanks.