• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nobel Vectan Ba9 question

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    Chronoing new 9 mm loads with 147 gr Everglades RN plated bullets, I got velocities WAY below what I expected from the book.

Mixed brass, Rem 7 1/2 primers to save small pistol primers for later. OAL 1.15", moderate crimp, right at .380" at the case mouth. This was just a first crack to see where I'd land power factor wise. Pistol was a CZ P-09 so plenty of barrel length.

3.1 to 3.7 grains of Ba9 gave velocities from the low 600s to the mid 700s fps. Vectan load data predicted speeds from 903 fps at 3.1 grs to 1000 fps at 3.8 grs for a 145 gr lead round nose bullet.

Same bullet and primer with Titegroup yielded 880 fps at 3.3 gr and 980 fps at 3.7 gr, right in line with expectations.

Any thoughts as to WTF is going on?

Yea
    I’ve never seen vectan powders here.
    Ive never even heard of it. Chrome is asking to translate it :ROFLMAO:

I bought four pounds from Grafs as the panic was getting into overdrive because they were out of most others.

Just looking for ideas to make it work.

Maybe I'll follow 44 gr of Varget dude's example 🤡

81FED50E-1EA1-413D-8C7B-04408715C819.png

Gorgons Reloading Tool shows 875 FPS with 3.7gr of Ba9, Speer 147TMJ out of a 5" barrel.

If you have four containers try a different container, dont think Grafs sells that powder anymore.

I recall someone using Vectan powder back in the Obama shortage years around 2008 when we were so desperate for powder that Bartlett Reloading was selling reclaimed/surplus bazooka powder. Didn't know it was still around.

Gorgons Reloading Tool shows 875 FPS with 3.7gr of Ba9, Speer 147TMJ out of a 5" barrel.

If you have four containers try a different container, dont think Grafs sells that powder anymore.

Thanks. I'm going to try reducing COAL from 1.15 to 1.13 to see what that does.

875 fps still is pretty weak since that's a 128 power factor and I like to be around 130 - 135. Nothing sucks more than failing chrono (min PF is 125) and shooting for no score at a major match that you paid couple hundos to attend.

Discussions over on BE forums show users up to mid to high four grains for 124gr coated bullets. I think you're probably just a little lite on the charge weight.

Discussions over on BE forums show users up to mid four grains for 124gr coated bullets. I think you're probably just a little lite on the charge weight.

I forgot to check there. I normally avoid that place due to the ridiculous moderation.

You can't even discuss one of the most important current topics in the sport (the proposed USPSA bylaw changes) so what fucking good is that place anyway?

Load data and CZ tech. The rest is pretty well worthless.

Went back and found that many are seeing the same thing: NobelSport's load data is worthless.

I'll have to go offroad on this one, blowing past book max little by little over the chrono.

I'd hate to turn four pounds of powder into fertilizer......

Went back and found that many are seeing the same thing: NobelSport's load data is worthless.

I'll have to go offroad on this one, blowing past book max little by little over the chrono.

I'd hate to turn four pounds of powder into fertilizer......
    Interesting
    Looks like burn rate is similar to unique and WSF so you should be able to step on it a good bit more.
    5251D4BE-B7B7-4D9D-B1B7-4CD3D336C33F.jpeg

May be worth using up and switching to pyrodex after this.

Don't fret, I am proficient at reloading

Last edited:
    pirat:LOL:

i have Ba6_1/2 for 357mag, and from reloading data you can see that it is fine and powerfull powder for 158 & 180gr bullets.

but in reality.... o man... wayyyy too slow and wayyyy less speed, it doesnt burn entirely and I have always unburned kernels in the barrel in every shot...

I'm using Vectan Prima V ( a touch faster powder than BA )for 9mm 124 loads. Excellent powder with low SDs, accurate, and very very clean clean. Gamer loads for sure with unicorn fart report, but wont make minor in my slower pistols.

So I finally had some time this week to work up some small samples above book max

Running a light crimp (mouth diameter .380"), CCI 450s, and an Everglades 147 plated RN (very pointy) at 1.15" OAL yielded the following average MVs: 4 grains: 830 fps, 4.2 gr: 848 fps, 4.4 gr: 861 fps

Seating deeper to 1.140", crimping to .378" and bumping the charge to 4.5 bumped it up to 972 fps.

I think the magic number will be 1.140" OAL, .378 crimp, 4.3 - 4.4 grains with the Everglades bullet which has a ogive that CZs with their short throats like.

Last edited: