• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official First Look at the Accuracy International, AX308MC

Don't worry, everyone! I solved RMW's dilemma for him... at least until he gets another shipment in.

WolfCobra saved me from taking the AXMC in 338LM home. I still have this beautiful and now lonely Pale Brown AX .308 sitting on the shelf.

Does the AXMC .338 accept .308? I watched a YouTube video from Shot Show and the VP of AI North America said the .338 version he had could be changed to .300 WM or .308. Figured he was referring to the PSR, but don't see much of a difference between it and the .338 AXMC other than it doesn't come with the extra barrels and bolts (and other goodies - case/bag/etc.). Curious to know because I was looking at the Barrett MRAD so I could have .308/.338 in one rifle but like the looks of the AI better. Figured the only way I could get .308/.338 was with the PSR, but I don't want/need the .300 WM and can't stomach the price tag. I like that the AI already has after market barrel configurations available (6.5 creedmore would be next).

To run 308 in the AXMC 338 you will need the caliber conversion kit that AI will be selling (not sure if it is available at this time). But yes, it is possible as long as you purchase the needed accessories.

ZombieMonkey is 100% correct. AI will have a conversion for the 338 or the 300 AXMC to run .308.

In my opinion the Barrett is not on the same level as the AXMC. I have been a devoted DTA customer for years and after handling the AXMC, I am sorely tempted to keep one up for myself.

I should have another AXMC in stock .338 LM in a few weeks.

Thanks gents. I've heard that the Barrett wasn't on par with the AI, which has got me lookin' toward AI. Figure this will be the last "tactical" rifle I buy for a long time and will just switch out the barrels as necessary. .308 for range trips with my shooting buddies, 6.5 for competitions, and .338 for long range. Can't beat that.

ZombieMonkey is 100% correct. AI will have a conversion for the 338 or the 300 AXMC to run .308.

In my opinion the Barrett is not on the same level as the AXMC. I have been a devoted DTA customer for years and after handling the AXMC, I am sorely tempted to keep one up for myself.

I should have another AXMC in stock .338 LM in a few weeks.

Dude, just take it home already......

You don't know how bad I want to. I have been having a bit of luck lately with my DTA, which is my only reservation. I would need to sell the DTA to fund the AI AXMC if I wanted to stay out of the dog house.

Rob Wilkinson: King of Powder Keg | Com-Link
Keep both and go to the doghouse, it will be worth it' as you know' having shot both, but I feel you pain! Good Luck. Your posts have always been most helpful....

As far as the MRAD, I sold mine in January 2013 and purchased the AX MC 308 with 260 barrel and just got it last weekend. Trust me there's no comparison between the two. Build quality in the AI and materials much more refined. Didn't need the 338LM, since I have 2 DTAs with the 338LM conversion. The 338 AI will eventually have 308 conversion, but probably not until the end of this year or early next years, when AI gets caught up on their present orders. Be patient and you' have the best of both worlds!!!

Last edited:
Keep both and go to the doghouse, it will be worth it' as you know' having shot both, but I feel you pain! Good Luck. Your posts have always been most helpful....

As far as the MRAD, I sold mine in January 2013 and purchased the AX MC 308 with 260 barrel and just got it last weekend. Trust me there's no comparison between the two. Build quality in the AI and materials much more refined. Didn't need the 338LM, since I have 2 DTAs with the 338LM conversion. The 338 AI will eventually have 308 conversion, but probably not until the end of this year or early next years, when AI gets caught up on their present orders. Be patient and you' have the best of both worlds!!!

I love the size and weight of the DTA. I wish it had 10 round mags.

Just looking over the AXMC and the attention to detail in putting this rifle together, really shows that either the designers are shooters or they are listening to input from shooters. Just looking over the new AI AXMC here are a few things that caught my eye.

Fantastic fit and finish
Super smooth bolt
Bolt has cuts to help prevent it from freezing shut
Tool less take down of the bolt
3 position safety on the bolt
Side Bolt release
Cocking indicator on the bolt
Extra heavy duty Bolt Stop - I have seen a number of bolt stops sheared off of custom guns in comps during the past few years. I can't imagine one of these shearing off.
10 round double stack mags
Bolt will not cycle forward when mag is empty
Folding stock - that easily folds and is secured in the folding position, locks up rock solid when deployed, has all the adjustments you would ever need, and holds a 4mm allen wrench
Folding stock folds to the right side of the rifle and also captures the bolt. This leaves the left side of the gun smooth so nothing is jabbing you in the side or back when carrying the gun slung in a folding position. It also makes the gun profile thinner when collapsed.
All bolts on the rifle are 4mm bolts
Removable barrel/caliber system - can swap barrels in about one minute
The side of the Chassis has been cut out to aid in mag changes while shooting in the prone position.
Removable forend - you have the ability to swap out different length forearms in seconds.
Slim forend with Keymod type attachment system.
Fantastic two stage trigger
Excellent shaped pistol grip
High quality polymer stock panels

And the list goes on.

Things I would like to see on this rifle would included:

- A monopod option similar to what DTA has. (DTA monopods are fantastic.)
- A magnum bolt face option on the Short Action - though after looking at the bolt face, I don't think there is enough meat on the bolt to allow this.
- Magazines that do not prevent the bolt from sliding forward when they run dry. While this current feature on AI rifles may save some time for people that forget where they are in their round count and remind them of a pending mag change before they waste their time acquiring a target only to practice dry firing, it may cause some competitors grief that like to chamber an additional one or two rounds individually instead of performing a complete mag change during a stage.
- I would really like to see the Chassis/action and barrels sold a la carte. It would save on Federal Excise Tax and would give the individual shooter the ability to pick up the rifle in the caliber they want instead of being forced to buy it in .308. It would also give the end user the ability to purchase a barrel from a third party if AI did not offer what they want/need.

Last edited:
^^^ You nailed it perfectly! I didn't have time to go into as much detail. I had many things to do and want to get to the range early to get the 308 barrel zeroed and chronoed for the 168 gr SMK and 185 gr Berger VLDs. I also like the AI 2 stage trigger, although the DTA 1 stage trigger is also quite crisp!

It's really great to have so many multicaliber choices in premium rifles and scopes with so many good reticle options. Great innovative times in LR shooting from bullets (longer) and barrel twists (shorter) for bullet stabilization as discussed in Bryan Litz's latest book on LR shooting. Bryan provides some amazing information in an easy to understand format:)

Have you ever wished the trigger pull was a little lighter? I know 90% of the trigger is in the break, but the AI specified pull range of 1.5-2.0 kg (3.3-4.4 lb) surprised me a little bit on paper. I've never heard anyone really wish an AI trigger would break at 1.5 lbs, but I thought I'd ask.

Now, for a military sniper rifle, which is what Accuracy International focuses on, the slightly heavier two stage makes sense. I'm sure they are fantastic triggers (I'll know firsthand soon enough!). Just wanted to know everyone's impressions, and if they would have preferred a lighter 2 stage, or even a 1 stage, discounting the potential reliability issues that would result.

Have you ever wished the trigger pull was a little lighter? I know 90% of the trigger is in the break, but the AI specified pull range of 1.5-2.0 kg (3.3-4.4 lb) surprised me a little bit on paper. I've never heard anyone really wish an AI trigger would break at 1.5 lbs, but I thought I'd ask.

Now, for a military sniper rifle, which is what Accuracy International focuses on, the slightly heavier two stage makes sense. I'm sure they are fantastic triggers (I'll know firsthand soon enough!). Just wanted to know everyone's impressions, and if they would have preferred a lighter 2 stage, or even a 1 stage, discounting the potential reliability issues that would result.

With a two stage trigger in a rifle you really do not notice that extra weight, I have become very partial to two stage triggers over the last couple of years. The trigger of the AI was love at first sight for me, I haven't touched the factory setting as it works beautifully when you are sending rounds down range. There is a reason why AI has been using that trigger for quite some time now, it works very well.

The Trigger in the AI is fantastic. It is very smooth and crisp. With it being a two stage, you really don't notice the extra weight.

I really like my DTA SRS single stage too. Mine came from the factory at about 2 lbs and I have never bothered to adjust it.

Agree with RMW, again! Have never adjusted the triggers on my DTAs (about 2lbs) and everyone that shoots them is amazed at how great they feel-even on a bullpup. Never fired a 2 stage trigger until I got my AI AXMC 308 10 days ago, but absolutely love it. 1/4" light pull, then stops and breaks crisply with 3-4 pound pull and would not want it any lighter, since my finger is firmly holding the trigger at that point and I'm stabilizing the reticle right where I want on the target. Next thing-BANG!!!

Sorry, what I really wanted to know is if the 16" forearm rail of the AX will fit/replace the 13" forearm rail on the AXMC?​

Edited, question was confusing

Last edited:
I believe so. (speaking of rails and not the forends)

The AXMC rifles that I received this week all had (2) small rails, (1) large rail, and one harris bipod mount.

Last edited:
I believe so.

The AXMC rifles that I received this week all had (2) small rails, (1) large rail, and one harris bipod mount.

Sorry, what I really wanted to know is if the 16" forearm rail of the AX will fit/replace the 13" forearm rail on the AXMC?

Sorry, what I really wanted to know is if the 16" forearm rail of the AX will fit/replace the 13" forearm rail on the AXMC?

As far as I know it is not interchangeable between the older AX and the new AXMC. The new AXMC rifles are more like the AI PSR rifle over the older AX and carry identical features/ set-up to the PSR.

The short actions come with 13" forearms and the AXMC (long action) has the 16" forearm. The 16" forearm from the long action should swap onto the short action but is not available separately from AI as of yet. At least I haven't seen them yet.

I have not seen the new forearms available yet and they are not in my current price list either.

Got my AXMC 308 out to the range this morning and zeroed. Here's the first 20 shots:
20140824_082105_resized_zpsa05f0713.jpg

First shot 4" high and second shot at the top point of the black center square. The next 18 shots took out the center of the target. She's definitely a keeper! The few shots low and to the right were me under time constraints.

Last edited:
which one would you keep? The 308, or a long action that you can use all 3 calibers in?

which one would you keep? The 308, or a long action that you can use all 3 calibers in?

I don't see myself getting rid of my DTA anytime soon and with the limited amount that I shoot .338 I am leaning towards the .308 AXMC. If the AXMC came in .260 from the factory, it would probably be a done deal.

Agree with all above. Do it! The 260 has become my favorite caliber. Great BC and accuracy when used in AI or DTA. You'll be set and won't have to make such an agonizing decision again. Great rifles and marital bliss (as much as that's possible). Good luck. My wife hasn't yet noticed that the tan AXMC 308 is different than my 2 DTAs-she thinks I just have 1 DTA. She has noticed I'm spending much more time reloading, since the new AI arrived!

I guess that makes a case for a standardization of FDE colors across manufacturers. So everyone's wives won't find out!

Not single, but I don't have to worry about hiding what I paid from a wife quite yet. I figured I should get the AXMC before it becomes an issue.

Ha Ha!!! Been married almost 45 years and it gets hard to justify personal wants and needs. She would want to use the funds for a whole new round of furniture and redoing the kitchen and bathrooms.

Definitely plan to get one soon and you'll be set for years to come. New barrels just $750. Good luck.

Question

Will the AXMC be released in a Tan/Black color theme, just like the OD/Black version? Or will I need to be first:rolleyes:

Question

Will the AXMC be released in a Tan/Black color theme, just like the OD/Black version? Or will I need to be first:rolleyes:

I will check on it. If there is not a factory option, there should be a way to buy the one polymer piece under the forearm and the 2 pieces that make up the pistol grip and side stock panels. I will let you know what I find out.

Question

My rep said the rifle is not available at this time in Black / Brown, but is inquiring to see if we could get you some tan skins to put on a black / black or black / green rifle.

My rep said the rifle is not available at this time in Black / Brown, but is inquiring to see if we could get you some tan skins to put on a black / black or black / green rifle.

Thank you for the update, I really appreciate it.

I've seen around 8-10 Pale Brown AXMC's, and 1 Black AXMC, but no OD Green....

No love for the OD Green?

Official First Look at the Accuracy International, AX308MC

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409196007.104483.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409196091.970350.jpg
Some OD Green.

Last edited:
This is very nice...

SH tactical pillow for size comparison. 20" AX308, scope is a SnB 3-20x50 in a Near Manuf. Alpha Mount, SF socom brake.

I called both EuroOptic and Mile High regarding this transit case, and both don't have it....no ETA either...what to do now?

I called both EuroOptic and Mile High regarding this transit case, and both don't have it....no ETA either...what to do now?

Just snag a rifle start shooting and get the case when it becomes available again. Let me know if you would like me to send you some pricing on an AX.

Just snag a rifle start shooting and get the case when it becomes available again. Let me know if you would like me to send you some pricing on an AX.

Mines on hold up, you see, I live in CA, and am subject to the 10 day cooling off period....:(

But thanks though, you should probably put something on your signature space--some form of advertisement. I really didn't know you sold them.

Dude, screw that case. You'll alway have to put a couple rounds down range to get it back to its original zero. Is it really worth it the disassemble and reassemble every single time you take it on the range?

Dude, screw that case. You'll alway have to put a couple rounds down range to get it back to its original zero. Is it really worth it the disassemble and reassemble every single time you take it on the range?

Yep, I'll probably lose 3-4 rounds, but totally worth it ;)

Not necessarily. Occasionally I will get a shot that's outside of half MOA into the 3/4 area after a barrel change in the first 5 rounds I put down range. I just did a barrel swap on Tuesday from 308 to 260 and shot a 1/3 MOA group on the first 5 down the tube no issues, cold bore and all. Sure, it's only my 19th barrel swap on this setup, but it's proving to be very repeatable.

Not necessarily. Occasionally I will get a shot that's outside of half MOA into the 3/4 area after a barrel change in the first 5 rounds I put down range. I just did a barrel swap on Tuesday from 308 to 260 and shot a 1/3 MOA group on the first 5 down the tube no issues, cold bore and all. Sure, it's only my 19th barrel swap on this setup, but it's proving to be very repeatable.

It is much easier to swap barrels on the AXMC than my PSR, since I do have to additional take the hand guards (unless I want to force it through) off as well because of the shoulder popping out on the barrels much more.

Yep, I'll probably lose 3-4 rounds, but totally worth it ;)

I don't take it down all the time, but if you have a 20" barreled AX the transit suit case is so necessary.

Besides, I had Mile High ship the rifle to my FFL in the case and not the cardboard box. I needed to have it. lol

The Transit case is pretty sweet. I would need one for a 20" AI AXMC too.