• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official Smoker Thread

I'll buy a $50k+ vehicle on a whim but will study a small $ purchase to death. Caught my eye at Lowes because it was different and seemed heavily built. Little bit I've looked so far is not promising. Supposedly also works as a grill but general experience with do-all/multi-purpose things is they don't do any one thing well.

This is truth and that smoker should last far longer than these damn vehicles.

E

I have 5 Webber's. 2 smokey Joe's and 3 kettles...22" or 22.5" whatever TF they are. I use them more than my stove. They work and I've learned what to do. Same with any rig you get I reckon.
The trout came out great.

Eat and be merry.

E

I decided to modify my cooker. I have found a lot of people building smokers that have a collector at the chimney end. The logic is that it will encourage a draw across the width of the cook surface.
I'm going to extend my smoke stack as well to encourage more draw. Both changes should help limit hot spots and help even out coming from one end of the cooker to the other - at least that's the theory

20200104_115512.jpg

Here is an idea of what I'm doing

Screenshot_20191227-162325_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191227-162332_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
So today a late start, 5 hour smoke, wrapped now and still at 190.

Getting hungry. Lol
20200105_145813.jpg

@Skimafia
Yes pork butt and a tray of beans on for a while. Brown sugar and marshmallow yams in the oven.

The pork butt was in smoke 5-6 hours then wrapped in oven till 200 degrees.

For the new smokers doing the Texas Crutch, this is how you wrap butts and brisket, tightly, double up on the cheap foil if thats what you ended up with.

You do not tent it.

20200105_155012.jpg

Pull with fingers, was soo tender.

Last edited:
You do pork like I do. I usually push it through the stall and then wrap in double foil. I generally will add a little braising liquid as I wrap it. I will remove mine at 199. Ill put it in a cooler for an hour or two to rest before pulling.

Took a look at the Green Mountain today. For the price, I'm sure it's good but hard to take it seriously sitting right next to a Yoder!

Very similar, I wrap at the stall point and don't add liquids.

The small amount of broth that escapes the foil is mixed in with BBQ sauce.

I kind of broke one of my BBQ rules.
I normally try to fill the smoker with more meats to not waste wood and time but found all other meats still frozen.

A trip out after starting fire was out of the question, wind started howling and took 3 tries to get fire going, forgot about my gas fire ring. lol

Tending and adjusting fire box with that kind of wind is a chore had to check ot every 20 minutes instead of every 45 to an hour.

Ask me again why I don't get a pellet smoker.

I finally finished the project. I am going to season the smoker today. Go easy on the welding. I have never done it before. I got much better by the time I finished.

Here are some more pictures
20200215_175945.jpg

Removing the wagon wheel and adding some heavy duty casters-
20200216_162807.jpg

20200216_184526.jpg

This is the main reason for the modification. The manifold will allow a more even airflow across the cooking grate.
20200216_194540.jpg

I raised the cooking grate about an inch. I also made new rails.
20200217_213737.jpg

20200217_213742.jpg

I cut the original tray off and made a larger one out of expanded metal.
20200220_201555.jpg

20200221_214957.jpg

This T bar holds it in position when it's up
20200221_215013.jpg

20200221_215031.jpg

I wanted the smoke stack t be much longer than the original. The problem is with the length I wanted I wouldnt be able to fit it on my patio. So i had to build a flange and welded the stack to it. It now bolts in and is removable

20200222_120748.jpg

Here is where I finally got more comfortable with welding-
20200222_135858.jpg

20200222_135849.jpg

Dammit there yall go makin me hungry. Heheheh not what I was thinking with a smoker thread. (Puts away the Zino)

Great looking smoker @Skimafia
I have an older Miller 180 that looks near identical to your 211. I used it, and my Lincoln Powermig 256 both, on my last smoker build.

I got the bug to build a bigger smoker last year.

Having an engineering background, I did the typical engineer thing and went full-retard with the design complexity and build quality. It's a little much just to cook for me and the wife.

I'm particularly proud of my door design. The door weighs 200lbs, yet the counterweight and linking geometry allows it to be lifted with 15 lbs of force. Once the door is up, the force applied by the counterweights, via the linkage keeps the door up with no props or struts. It takes 15 lbs of force to lift the door, it balances at the mid point, and it takes 15 lbs of force to pull the door back down.

It has 2 cooking grates. The lower grate is 3ft x 8ft, the upper grate is 2ft x 8ft.

My design doesn't lend itself to a external manifold like @Skimafia used, so mine uses an internal type, that basically extends the smokestack down into the cook chamber, stopping just above the lower grate.

I fabricated the trailers myself as well. Also overkill, I used 2"x4"x3/16” steel tube. Overall, it's 16ft long and 3000lbs. I used a set of 2, 2000 lb ea leaf springs for the suspension. Since the smokers weight is 75% the leaf spring capacity, it has a fairly soft ride on the highway. Alot of trailer smokers are over-springed and ride rigid Harley.

Unlike the typical smoker made from an old propane tank, I fabricated the cook chamber from 1/4" steel plate.

Myself and @Skookum did a shitload of lifting, plasma cutting and welding on this bitch.

It Cooks great, but is a little overkill for me and the wife.

Last edited:
I have an older Miller 180 that looks near identical to your 211. I used it, and my Lincoln Powermig 256 both, on my last smoker build.

Having an engineering background, I did the typical engineer thing and went full-retard with the design complexity and build quality. It's a little much just to cook for me and the wife.

I'm particularly proud of my door design. The door weighs 200lbs, yet the counterweight and linking geometry allows it to be lifted with 15 lbs of force. Once the door is up, the force applied by the counterweights, via the linkage keeps the door up with no props or struts. It takes 15 lbs of force to lift the door, it balances at the mid point, and it takes 15 lbs of force to pull the door back down.

It has 2 cooking grates. The lower grate is 3ft x 8ft, the upper grate is 2ft x 8ft.

My design doesn't lend itself to a external manifold like @Skimafia used, so mine uses an internal type, that basically extends the smokestack down into the cook chamber, stopping just above the lower grate.

I fabricated the trailers myself as well. Also overkill, I used 2"x4"x3/16” steel tube. Overall, it's 16ft long and 3000lbs. I used a set of 2, 2000 lb ea leaf springs for the suspension. Since the smokers weight is 75% the leaf spring capacity, it has a fairly soft ride on the highway. Alot of trailer smokers are over-springed and ride rigid Harley.

Unlike the typical smoker made from an old propane tank, I fabricated the cook chamber from 1/4" steel plate.

Engineer..went full retard...well, it happens. The struggle is real. Fine rig. You pattern that trailor after a Ranger Z series??

E

Reactions: ken226

Myself and @Skookum did a shitload of lifting, plasma cutting and welding on this bitch.

That thing is beautiful! Makes my smoker look like it was built by a neanderthal! If I ever move into the world of competition smoking, I'll need a trailer smoker

That thing is beautiful! Makes my smoker look like it was built by a neanderthal! If I ever move into the world of competition smoking, I'll need a trailer smoker

Well, I did kinda cheat. I used CAD solid modeling software to design, dimension and tolerance each individual part, then to test assemble the components, and modify where needed.

But, mine has a significant downside. It cost 6500$ in materials alone, and over a month of labor.

Last edited:

This truly does sound great, but there ain't no pic's in the post (for me). Did something happen, or is there a problem at my end? Just showing 3 'broken files' icons.

And I'm sitting here drooling at the though of yet another great smoker, I wanna see it!!!!!

This truly does sound great, but there ain't no pic's in the post (for me). Did something happen, or is there a problem at my end? Just showing 3 'broken files' icons.

And I'm sitting here drooling at the though of yet another great smoker, I wanna see it!!!!!
20190626-121324.jpg

00n0n-a-Yy-Flt-Az9-U4-600x450.jpg

20190626-121353.jpg

So I guess a reverse draw set up?
Do you have a pix of the inside?

What is the benefit of that?

Nice looking rig.

So I guess a reverse draw set up?
Do you have a pix of the inside?

What is the benefit of that?

Nice looking rig.

If you're asking about mine, yea I'll edit and add a few more pics to show more.

yes it's a reverse flow. The smoke heats a heavy steel plate before it enters the cook chamber at the opposite end of the firebox. The plate then radiates the heat up into the cook chamber.

The theory is that it's supposed to give a more even temp throughout the cook chamber.

I don't have any more on my phone. I got a shitload at home on my desktop PC. I'll post more later.

It uses slide out grates everywhere. The cooking grates, warming cabinet grates, even the fire-basket can be removed and sprayed off at the car wash.

Last edited:
after that thread I feel like the dog sitting and waiting by the grill waiting for something to drop .

20200313_203032.jpg

Got this hooked up today, now just the programming. ?

@ken226 Is that the steam powered machine from the John Henry story?
Looks like it needs two iron rails to travel on.
All kidding aside, that is a LOT of cutting and seam welding with all that flat iron.
Excellent fabrication, well done and hats off to you sir!

Reactions: ken226
Wife bought me an Ironwood 650 because she was tired of me sitting all day with my offset. Three cooks with the traeger and I have the offset to a friend.

Here is this past week.
View attachment 7277131View attachment 7277132View attachment 7277133View attachment 7277134

Haha that’s pretty much what was going on. Since getting the traeger, I’ve done a steak, chicken wings, and today hamburgers using a recipe from traeger. Way faster, way easier, with easier clean up. I’ll probably keep my offset though. Sometimes i do mass cooks during the hunting season.

Haha that’s pretty much what was going on. Since getting the traeger, I’ve done a steak, chicken wings, and today hamburgers using a recipe from traeger. Way faster, way easier, with easier clean up. I’ll probably keep my offset though. Sometimes i do mass cooks during the hunting season.

Yep. Got my pellet machine with the fantastic WiFi and app control in November. I’m on my 5th 40lb bag of pellets right now.

Only issue is getting solid/quick ignition when temps are below 27F. I’m burning through half a hopper doing 14-16hr sessions. Toss on the meat at 9pm, set my cook sequence in the app, go to bed. About 8am I hit the stall, wrap in paper, bump the temp, and play with the kids till 205 degrees. Rest a bit and it’s time for a early dinner.

I do miss acting like an old timey steam locomotive fireman with the offset.... but I’ll happily sell my soul for the eas of it.

I’m gonna make the best of this self-quarantine crap. Bought me a slab or two of ribs and going to fire up the smoker.

What temp do y’all recommend getting the smoker to? I usually smoke a butt around 250. And what temp do you pull the ribs and wrap em?

I smoke ribs @ 250°

I prefer St Louis style spare ribs, so it may be a bit different if your cooking back ribs. 250° for about 5 to 6 hours.

I rarely use an internal probe in ribs, because the time I use always gets it close enough.

I don't wrap them at all, but I live in an area with plenty of humidity, and keep a water pan in the smoker as well. If you wrap them, the cook time may be shorter, and in that case, an internal probe temp of 200° is what you want, + or - about 2° is acceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBigCountry
I smoke ribs @ 250°

I prefer St Louis style spare ribs, so it may be a bit different if your cooking back ribs. 250° for about 5 to 6 hours.

I rarely use an internal probe in ribs, because the time I use always gets it close enough.

I don't wrap them at all, but I live in an area with plenty of humidity, and keep a water pan in the smoker as well. If you wrap them, the cook time may be shorter, and in that case, an internal probe temp of 200° is what you want, + or - about 2° is acceptable.

Manucho appreciated. I’m gonna give them a generous touch of my homemade dry-rub and smoke them just like you said.

I smoke ribs at 225. 6 hours for spares, 5 for baby backs. I stopped using water in my smoker and filled the water tray with sand to act as a heat sink. Way better results and uses less wood and charcoal since making the switch.

The ones they had for sale frozen at the local Publix lol. I’ll have to double check.

You smoke them yet? How'd they turn out?

If they're baby backs, reduce the time by an hour or two. About the same internal temp though.