• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Optimal 22LR Barrel Length

HogsLife

War Machine Leather Works
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 28, 2018
    N. Idaho
    Alright, so I did a Hide Search and found a post back in 2014 stating that optimal barrel length for a 22LR was between 16.5 and 18” to achieve the highest muzzle velocity, and I’m seeing a lot of these Vudoo Rifles with Barrel lengths in the 18-20” range. I’m currenrly running a 40x with a 28” barrel, but looking to have JElrod rebarrel and convert it to a repeater, but I’m wondering on what length of barrel.

Been thinking about 20”, but I’m open for suggestions and curious to hear what everyone’s personal experiences regarding this are.

I shot mine today, no chrono. Nice groups and fairly consistent.

Rem 40X 28” Barrel
    CCI Standard Velocity (1075 FPS) 40gn

70 Deg
    650’ ASL

Zeroed @ 50
    100yd - 6MOA
    200yd - 26MOA

Appreciate the info guys.

S/F

Last edited:
    It depends on who who ask as to what answer you'll get about the best barrel length. I believe your intended use should dictate the barrel length. On a bench gun I'd go with a longer barrel. For PRS competitions I pick a shorter barrel.

It depends on who who ask as to what answer you'll get about the best barrel length. I believe your intended use should dictate the barrel length. On a bench gun I'd go with a longer barrel. For PRS competitions I pick a shorter barrel.

Thanks man, I do agree that intended use should dictate Barrel length however, if a shorter barrel gives a maximum muzzle velocity, then why would a bench rest shooter, looking for groups and wind bucking ability at 100 yds go with the longer barrel? If the bullet reaches maximum velocity at 16”, then with a barrel length of 28”, the bullet is slowing down considerably due to bullet drag on the rifling on top of the fact that the longer the bullet is in the barrel there is more opportunity for shooter induced errors imparted on the bullet, why would the shorter barrel not be suitable for bench rest? I can understand why a long barrel may not be as suitable for PRS type, as it can make it unwieldy, but not getting a firm grasp on how that works the vice versus scenario. I use a 26” barrel length in my 6.5 PRS comp rifle so,
    If a 26” barrel was more beneficial I would have no problem running one of my 22LR, but if a 16-20” barrel yields the best MV then I’ll go that route. Just looking to see others results.

My planned use is PRS style shooting but I’ll still be doing some bench 100-200 yd stuff as well.

Thank you man.

Last edited:
    I am far from an expert on the topic, but I've read benchrest shooters say that a longer barrel may drop the velocity a small amount, but you also notice less sound from the longer barrel. They argue that means a lower gas pressure at the crown to cause an upset of the round.

But one of the main things is a heavier barrel is often preferred as heavy guns are more stable on a bench.

When looking at 10/22 barrels, Feddersen said their most accurate was the 16.5 inch. Kidd says the 18 inch is their most accurate. I spoke to Proof about their 10/22 barrel before I ordered one and they declined to comment on what would be the most accurate barrel length. I ordered a 16.1 inch.

Ravage88 (from Vudoo) stated this here on the Sniper's Hide:

From what I’ve seen, barrel length hasn’t determined the level of accuracy published online.

There are so many factors that affect accuracy that barrel length is the least of my concerns.

Reactions: HogsLife
    I am far from an expert on the topic, but I've read benchrest shooters say that a longer barrel may drop the velocity a small amount, but you also notice less sound from the longer barrel. They argue that means a lower gas pressure at the crown to cause an upset of the round.

But one of the main things is a heavier barrel is often preferred as heavy guns are more stable on a bench.

When looking at 10/22 barrels, Feddersen said their most accurate was the 16.5 inch. Kidd says the 18 inch is their most accurate. I spoke to Proof about their 10/22 barrel before I ordered one and they declined to comment on what would be the most accurate barrel length. I ordered a 16.1 inch.

Ravage88 (from Vudoo) stated this here on the Sniper's Hide:

There are so many factors that affect accuracy that barrel length is the least of my concerns.

Great info man. Appreciate the response.

Have you shot that Proof yet?

The Proof Research 10/22 barrel hasn't arrived yet. Expected around mid April. It'll need to be a fantastic barrel to beat the Feddersen currently installed.

Alright, so I did a Hide Search and found a post back in 2014 stating that optimal barrel length for a 22LR was between 16.5 and 18” to achieve the highest muzzle velocity, and I’m seeing a lot of these Vudoo Rifles with Barrel lengths in the 18-20” range. I’m currenrly running a 40x with a 28” barrel, but looking to have JElrod rebarrel and convert it to a repeater, but I’m wondering on what length of barrel.

Been thinking about 20”, but I’m open for suggestions and curious to hear what everyone’s personal experiences regarding this are.

I shot mine today, no chrono. Nice groups and fairly consistent.

Rem 40X 28” Barrel
    CCI Standard Velocity (1075 FPS) 40gn

70 Deg
    650’ ASL

Zeroed @ 50
    100yd - 6MOA
    200yd - 26MOA

Appreciate the info guys.

S/F

We do know that depending on the amount of powder and it's burn rate will produce different velocities out of various lengths of barrels. And another factor is the material the barrel is make out of and the construction specs (a tight barrel will produce more friction than a lose one). Ignoring all the specifics of this, I'd say (in general) when you get 24" or greater in a .22 LR barrel length one is going to see less MV than one would from a 16" or 18" barrel of the same material (subject to certain ammo's burn rate. as some will have a little longer burn rate). In the data I've collected on .22 LR ammo being shot from various barrel length, I can see that the MV number are indeed noticeably less than the shorter rifle barrels. But, lower MV's is not necessarily a "bad" thing as depending on the ammo you use, this can help keep you MV's at subsonic where in some cases (like with a SS barrel, velocities can increase to supersonic). So, as usual, I feel it really comes down to just which ammo works best in your particular barrel.

I can't scientifically prove it, but I swear that a 22 to 25" barrel in 22lr gives you better groups past 100 yards. When we shoot TSC, most of the stages past 100 are taken with VooDoo, CZ and Annies with 22" or more.

Slower MV yes, but I think harmonics and stability of the longer barrel gives you less variability down range.

In the 1980s the American rifleman did a test where they started with a long 28??? Inch barrel and chopped it back inch by inch until they had it down to 3 or so inches... maybe less, but I don’t recall.

Takeaway was that there is damn little degradation as it gets shorter and shorter. The Optimum length was statistically almost irrelevant as each inch was such a small increment of performance, up or down, that it did not matter.

The parts that mattered were ammo choice and sight radius (irrelevant if using optics.)

Article is probably online somewhere. AR is fully digitized now.

Hope this helps, Sirhr

I can't scientifically prove it, but I swear that a 22 to 25" barrel in 22lr gives you better groups past 100 yards. When we shoot TSC, most of the stages past 100 are taken with VooDoo, CZ and Annies with 22" or more.

Slower MV yes, but I think harmonics and stability of the longer barrel gives you less variability down range.

I suppose a long barrel can improve accuracy . . . it appears to be a tested fact :p:

In the 1980s the American rifleman did a test where they started with a long 28??? Inch barrel and chopped it back inch by inch until they had it down to 3 or so inches... maybe less, but I don’t recall.

Takeaway was that there is damn little degradation as it gets shorter and shorter. The Optimum length was statistically almost irrelevant as each inch was such a small increment of performance, up or down, that it did not matter.

The parts that mattered were ammo choice and sight radius (irrelevant if using optics.)

Article is probably online somewhere. AR is fully digitized now.

Hope this helps, Sirhr

I remember seeing that, but as I recall . . . that barrel wasn't a .22 LR, was it?

At one time 28” target barrels were standard many target rifles. Most likely for sight radius.
    They are also slightly slower and much quieter. Rumor was lower SD’s as well but I am doubtful.

I appreciate the info guys. That makes sense. I may steer towards the 22-24” range. I love the looks and maneuverability of a short rifle but I’ve yet to ever have one built. I have a hard time giving up that muzzle velocity. Not to say it makes it any more accurate than a shorty, but with your standard centerfire calibers it’s just a bit more oomph to buck that wind.

That being said, those are center fire calibers and not 22LR. If increased MV in a 22LR is a benefit that requires a shorter barrel then so be. I’ll go that route. Maybe 20-22”? Maybe 24”. I gotta figure that out.

Last edited:
    I dont have any problems shooting steel to 300 and 400yds with my 16.5" CZ 455. I have a 18" being spun up now that I should have this week to test.

I couldnt see having more than 18" on my 22lr. Especially with a can.

50yd

100yd

300yd

400yd

I appreciate the info guys. That makes sense. I may steer towards the 22-24” range. I love the looks and maneuverability of a short rifle but I’ve yet to ever have one built. I have a hard time giving up that muzzle velocity. Not to say it makes it any more accurate than a shorty, but with your standard centerfire calibers it’s just a bit more oomph to buck that wind.

That being said, those are center fire calibers and not 22LR. If increased MV in a 22LR is a benefit that requires a shorter barrel then so be. I’ll go that route. Maybe 20-22”? Maybe 24”. I gotta figure that out.

As I was searching for .22 LR barrel test on this issue, I found this posted in a blog:

"Here are the results collected by Bob Forker. These are muzzle velocities
    for barrels of different lengths (determined by cutting the barrel between
    test batteries):
    Barrel Length -- Remington High Velocity -- Winchester T22
    4 in -- 1045 fps -- 1005 fps
    8 --- 1150 -- 1105
    12 -- 1220 -- 1155
    16 -- 1240 -- 1165
    20 -- 1235 -- 1160
    24 -- 1210 -- 1140
    28 -- 1170 -- 1075
    "

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.guns/aEEJy117Ao8

The numbers are similar to what I see in my data base.

Last edited:
    As I was searching for .22 LR barrel test on this issue, I found this posted in a blog:

"Here are the results collected by Bob Forker. These are muzzle velocities
    for barrels of different lengths (determined by cutting the barrel between
    test batteries):
    Barrel Length -- Remington High Velocity -- Winchester T22
    4 in -- 1045 fps -- 1005 fps
    8 --- 1150 -- 1105
    12 -- 1220 -- 1155
    16 -- 1240 -- 1165
    20 -- 1235 -- 1160
    24 -- 1210 -- 1140
    28 -- 1170 -- 1075
    "

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.guns/aEEJy117Ao8

The numbers are similar to what I see in my data base.

Right on. That’s some good info. I think im gonna run with a 20” and see how she does. I can always cut some off down the road. Lol

I dont have any problems shooting steel to 300 and 400yds with my 16.5" CZ 455. I have a 18" being spun up now that I should have this week to test.

I couldnt see having more than 18" on my 22lr. Especially with a can.

50yd

100yd

300yd

400yd

Good to know. That’s a good shooting gun. How long is the can you’re running? I’m behind enemy lines so no can for me.....

2 reasons for longer rimfire barrels.

one, as mentioned, is when shooting iron sights, a longer distance between sights (sight radius) increases the ability for precise holds

two, benchrest guys use longer barrels as they are easier to tune with tuners.

likely the reason you see vudoos with 18-22 barrels is most people want trainers to mimic their centerfire rifle and opt for longer to get similar feel.

rimfire is WAAAAY too finicky to correlate barrel length to accuracy.

GL!
    DT

I run a 16 on my Vudoo and did this the other day at 50 yards (10 round group). My Vudoo also has a can on it.

This is without called flyer

With called flyer.

I have had a few fairly decent shooting 22lr's over the years, and all of the best shooters have had barrels of 24" up to 27". IMO the optimal barrel length for rimfire accuracy is in that range. Exactly how long honestly depends on the barrel. If it is choked you need to put the crown right at the tightest part of the choke, period.

I have a few theories on barrel length vs rimfire accuracy:
    -If your chasing accuracy with the 22lr then you will be shooting subsonic match ammo. Depending on the conditions in which your shooting and the barrel your shooting out of the MV can be getting very close to that transonic velocity. IMO this is the LAST thing you want to happen with these super low BC, non-aerodynamic mini flying bricks we are shooting. So maximizing velocity is a negative in my book. I have tested a LOT of ammo and find that 1060 give or take 10 fps is the sweet spot. In my testing I have found that all too often 18" to 20" barrels are a bit faster, and have a tendency to be erratic. Most have always produced excellent accuracy but just not as consistently as the longer barrels.
    -I also feel that a longer barrel will have less whip at the muzzle than a shorter barrel (when shooting heavy target profile rimfire barrels). This is purely my opinion so take it as such, but I feel with the low energy of the 22lr the whip that is generated in the firing process is absorbed (or depleted) the longer the barrel is which allows the barrel to settle more before the bullet exits the muzzle.
    -One down side to the longer barrel is the time in bore that allows a longer opportunity for shooter error to influence accuracy.

Last keep in mind that Eley test their ammo and measures the MV out of a 24" barrel, and Lapua uses a 25.9" barrel (660mm). This may be because these are very common lengths for prone and 3P rifles, or maybe because they get the best results out of this length...

-velocity for 22lr increases up to around 18"-20" depending on whose doing the testing, no clue where the 16" number comes from but i cant find any empirical data to back it up. at the very least, ballistics by the inch says it increases up to at least 18".
    -for centerfire ammo, higher MV=higher accuracy, but longer barrels=less MV variation despite slightly lower MVs=tighter groups.
    -I would guess, accuracy wise and all else being equal, being in the 18"-20" range would be best, barrel length wise.
    -thicker barrels=more accuracy as well due to less barrel flex, but much heavier.
    -all of the top 22lr benchrest people use thick barrels well over 20" i think, altho for NRL/PRS stuff this is probably not feasible due to weight.

Last edited:
    Appreciate all the replies. Lot of good info. Never really dove into the 22 stuff very much so it’s a learning experiences Bases off what I’ve been reading here, I think I’m gonna end up running it somewhere in the 22-25” range and see how it goes

My 40x rifle now is running a 28” tube and completely stock. Same now as it was back in 59, but it’s a hell of a shooter. I’ll see if I can get some groups this weekend and I’ll post em up.

A .22 PPC used in the Houston Warehouse... not a 22LR.

Apologies, i was extremely vague. I was aware that they used .22 PPC (it isnt a round i was familiar with so i had had to look it up) my interest was
    1) that they decided that there was one ideal barrel length (apparently without considering that it might only have been with the harmonics of that particular weapon type/mount) and
    2) that getting the neck tension & seating depth precisely the same every time was much more important than normal variations in the powder load.

It made sense to me that the release tension will have an effect on the acceleration of the bullet and hence possibly on the consistency of the ballistics ?

The release tension makes sense. But we can't have control over that in 22LR and the powder loads are significantly smaller than the 22 PPC. With standard velocity 22LR we're looking at roughly 1/3 the velocity of the 22 PPC. So an equivalent amount of powder variation will make a greater change in 22LR. Of course the harmonics will be different, but it is possible (albeit unlikely) that the same length barrel could be optimal in the 22LR too.

do you think that some of the flyers that we see could be due to significantly different release tension ? (background- this question is because i've been reading another thread where someone weighed, and checked rim thickness, then sorted accordingly .... but they still had flyers.)
    In my ignorance i had just assumed that the very different velocities of the 22 PPC and 22 LR would dictate a different optimal barrel length. ? Although the testing that Saeed did (in the report i linked to above) appeared to suggest that (for the gun he chopped up) there wasn't a clearly defined 'best' barrel length for 22 lr.

My assumption is that, for each combination of a chamber geometry, round, barrel profile, twist rate, etc there may be an 'optimal' barrel length, but i doubt very much that there is some magic barrel length for 22 lr in general ?

I'm not an expert in the field... by far. I do think that the powder load, release tension, primer consistency, bullet weight can be factors that could cause fliers. Higher quality ammo will produce tighter groups and have less fliers. I've checked the velocity on many rounds using a LabRadar. Sometimes you can look at the speed of the shot fired and tell that it's going to be a flier. Other times you can't.

On some shots, a small buildup within the rifling or at the throat could also be the culprit. I suspect that a regularly cleaned, high quality barrel will produce less fliers even using moderately priced ammo such as CCI SV. I've just recently started testing better ammo (several types of SK, Center-X, Lapua Polar Biathlon, Wolf Match Extra, etc) to see what works best. I've primarily used CCI SV or Agulia SV in the past. I've also tried resizing CCI and Aguila from .222 to .2245 - .225 at the driving band which has had inconsistent results in my limited trial to date. Maybe a better grade of ammo is needed for the resizing to have a positive result.

Another problem I've seen is rifles damaging the lead when the bullet is inserted into the chamber. I suspect this is often a cause of fliers.

The #1 factor is always the person shooting the rifle.

The harmonics of a 22LR is going to be very different from a centerfire since the 22LR operates at a much lower frequency. If the best accuracy possible is the goal, then you'll likely want a 25 to 26 inch barrel with a tuner for 22LR. This is the standard length for most olympic and benchrest shooters.

Since there are so many things that affect accuracy in 22LR, we're better off picking a barrel length that fits our intended usage. Chasing minimal accuracy increases with barrel lengths doesn't make sense if all you need to hit is a 1 MOA target at up to 100 yards.

The bullet weight, powder burn time, twist/quality of barrel all play a role. As for barrel length of 22lr HV or Standard, burn rate (powder utilized), max velocity is around 16 - 21". There will always be exceptions, but consistency is the name of the game. 1:16 twist, stabilized check, constant velocity check, good average barrel length that will give you best results based on your ammo, for me standard 1020 - 80 fps and HV 1200 - 60 fps, is an 18" barrel,16" bull is next sometimes hardly notice difference. For precision shooting, bull 21" fluted, dissipate heat and ensure bullet stabilizes (quality ammo shouldn't worry but?).

Higher caliber require longer burn time (max pressure) and tolerances are tight, bullet weights can vary and powder loads. You can lose hundreds in velocity via barrel lengths, and destabilize bullets, this happens when folk mess with ARs or AK barrel length vs twist vs grain.