• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Optimum barrel lenght

grmroper001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
Reno, NV.
I searched high and low but could not find a definitive answer to this. I am having a 260 built using a 26" barrel, is this length optimum for a 260? The gun will be used primarily as a target gun (not off a bench) out to 1000 yards, I would anticipate the the majority of it's life will be spent between 300 and 800 yards. Is a 26" barrel close to ideal? I figured I would ask those much more knowledgeable than I.

Thank you and as always any constructive input would be ideal.

Re: Optimum barrel lenght

I cannot offer concrete data. But my opinion would be to stay long. If, after shooting it some with the new barrel you feel a need to trim some off, you can. But if you cut it short, you can't put it back on.

I would say it just depends on how handy you want to keep the rifle. I have been running a .308 with a 28" barrel for a while. Great on the range, but not the best for hunting. The next I do is going to have either a Krieger #6 or a Light Palma cut to 18" as most of my rifles see more time in the field than they do on the range. Will also be changing the stock as well. Will be trying to keep it all around 9# or a bit less rather than the 18# beast I've been using.

If you pull out and just shoot it. I would stay long. If you carry it, need it quick, manuver with it. then make it shorter.

I agree with everyone above.

Hi,
The optimum barrel length is directly tied to the time the bullet takes to exit the barrel. There are nodes or velocity vs time sweet spots.

See the article by Christopher Long here. OBT

Some great software and research here. RSI

It may be a bit much but I find it interesting.

John

grin.gif

Depends on what your planning

Sounds like you wanna do a lil of everything

paper punching, hunting etc

20-24 would work for a TAC style hunting rig

However a dedicated Target rig 28" +
Dedicated TAC rig 18-20

But that just my pref

for punching paper or hiting steel length isn't that big of a deal but if you ever plan on packing this rifle in the field you will end up in some thick stuff and in that enviroment i think 24" is the absolute max ymmv

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But if you cut it short, you can't put it back on. </div></div>
Very true!

I personally like longer barrels. I have a 25.5" on my 308 and a 23.75" on my 7-08. When I get a 260/6.5 it will be 26" or so.

I'm just a hobbyist though, and don't run a can (yet).

I think there's something to be said about 95% + powder burn, esp in the caliber asked about.

I can't get into the "cool guy club" with my long barrel 308, but I like it.

I have 2 and they both were 27" tubes one is Lilja and the other Brux both 1-8 twist for 140g AMAX or VLD. I love them but I knew when they where built they would be used in the prone at long range and I want all the speed I can get so I got 28" blanks and had the smith keep them as long as he could.

i would go at least 26in

to me at least if your going to build a 260, 243, wsm or other hot rod, you are probably going it to get the ballistic advantage of better ballisics so why not give them the barrel length they deserve?

this sounds like a target match gun with longer shots in mind to me the added barrel lenght is worth the ballistic gain

you arent looking for a handy hunting or truck type gun and you didnt mention a can so why go short?

i know to me in the cool kids club short is in, but i will run the longer tubes for match guns and the improved ballistics it gives me, however slight it might be

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi,
The optimum barrel length is directly tied to the time the bullet takes to exit the barrel. There are nodes or velocity vs time sweet spots.

See the article by Christopher Long here. OBT

Some great software and research here. RSI

It may be a bit much but I find it interesting.

John

grin.gif
</div></div>

That first link especially was very interesting. I need to read it again to figure out what nodes to base the load on, but it appeared to be well researched and documented. I'll be doing some additional study, I think.

The gun will be used mostly for target shooting with deer season and coyotes thrown in. I have packed around a 26" barreled 7 mag for the last 20 years so a bit of weight really isn't a big issue to me.

I have heard figures in the past of about 100 fps for every inch of barrel length, Is that figure in the ball park?

No, that's very high. My .260 has a 24", and I shoot 130 Bergers with hBn at 2935. I started seeing pressure around 3000 fps, and I promise you won't see 3200 before pressure out of a 26" gun under identical circumstances. I'd bet it would be closer to 20-25 fps per inch.

If you're not running a can and don't intend to, 26" is a great compromise. Terry Cross is the man for .260's, and that's the length he recommends.

I went with 28" because I agree with Victor that short barrels are kinda like a contradiction in terms when you plan on shooting long. Turns out that the max length available from Lothar-Walther in their program barrels without a premium charge is 28", so that sealed it. The 142SMK and the 28" 1:8" barrel work very well with my .260 all the way out to 1Kyd. I <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> shot successfully out to 1Km (1123yd) with a 24" barrel, but the load I was using was way too hot.

Greg

28" or longer is the consensus for 1K. This length is specific for the stated task. Most other tasks will allow for a shorter barrel, but "stay long" as everyone has said for 1K.