• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Orange Vise/Area419 Collab

As has been posted various places, we have made and sold jaw-only sets. Link here: https://www.area419.com/product/orange-jaw-kit/

Each production run has included additional jaw sets, and they have been sold as they hit stock. There is no vast conspiracy here fellas, promise. We are making more parts than ever, and all of our machines run all day long. We promise being OOS on things isn't something that brings us any version of happiness.

As has been posted various places, we have made and sold jaw-only sets. Link here: https://www.area419.com/product/orange-jaw-kit/

Each production run has included additional jaw sets, and they have been sold as they hit stock. There is no vast conspiracy here fellas, promise. We are making more parts than ever, and all of our machines run all day long. We promise being OOS on things isn't something that brings us any version of happiness.
Thanks for posting these updates Craig. Appreciate knowing the status. I’ll be looking out for new stock and ordering as/when available!

👀👀👀👀

A1B43CBC-EF02-4F4C-A8CD-36C9E261902C.jpeg

Attachments

• C6B582ED-96AE-46E8-823C-5AD6B83735E0.jpeg
    C6B582ED-96AE-46E8-823C-5AD6B83735E0.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 50
I have a Badger Dead Level but saw those were restocked and thought about doing exactly the same thing…

Outfitting a customer’s Vudoo.

This vice is ridiculously nice.

Attachments

• 9D942523-3DBD-47B6-940E-F083617D0F6E.jpeg
    9D942523-3DBD-47B6-940E-F083617D0F6E.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 3E94FA0E-D548-480A-B19C-44463CD0A1C6.jpeg
    3E94FA0E-D548-480A-B19C-44463CD0A1C6.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 6FFFEFE7-13DF-4ED1-BB5C-F4E6E5EA6F88.jpeg
    6FFFEFE7-13DF-4ED1-BB5C-F4E6E5EA6F88.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 198
Pardon my ignorance, so you are leveling the scope to the rings so you can just drop it direct on the rifle?
Leveling reticle to gravity in the rings then just drop on rifle. There are many advantages to leveling in a jog like the SAC or the badger. You can switch between any rifle because the reticle is always level

Outfitting a customer’s Vudoo.

This vice is ridiculously nice.
Would you say it is worth the price? I’m torn between this or a Wilton. This has more capabilities than the Wilton. So the price doesn’t seem out of line, but I’ve never seen one in person.

Would you say it is worth the price? I’m torn between this or a Wilton. This has more capabilities than the Wilton. So the price doesn’t seem out of line, but I’ve never seen one in person.

If you do a bunch of work with it, or just like high end equipment, absolutely.

If not and you have to choose this over something like a better optic or ammo, then it’s a different discussion.

Just make sure it’s an old Wilton. I have a 1942 and a modern one made in like 2016. The new one sits in a corner. I hate it. I use it if I really need to bang on something.

If you do a bunch of work with it, or just like high end equipment, absolutely.

If not and you have to choose this over something like a better optic or ammo, then it’s a different discussion.
Thank you for the info! I use bench vises a lot for wood working because they give a lot of room for approach using rasps and files. My longest rasps are 17” long!

The rotating head is what draws me to the orange. The only rotating head Wilton’s I have are the chai-knee Home Depot specials, but I really need that capability.

I can’t remember but I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure it’s Chinese garbage. I’ll have to check when I get home
I was just wondering. Wilton U.S made vises aren’t far from an orange in pricing, and don’t have the rotating jaw capability.

I guess I would just have to stop being a cunt and keep the correct wrench next to it to unlock the head.

Still haven’t found any good aftermarket jaw providers for V jaws and stuff.

Thank you for the info! I use bench vises a lot for wood working because they give a lot of room for approach using rasps and files. My longest rasps are 17” long!

The rotating head is what draws me to the orange. The only rotating head Wilton’s I have are the chai-knee Home Depot specials, but I really need that capability.
Real avid just came out with a GS vice

Also there is this concept

But I think this orange vise is probably top dog, especially with these jaws.

A U.S. made Wilton starts at around $700. I have a Taiwanese or Chinese steel vise for holding and smacking that I bought in my youth; maybe when it breaks I’ll get a U.S. made Wilton. The Orange fills a void and while costly, I’m certainly satisfied with it especially for something that essentially just holds stuff.

That Avid looks like a hobby vise at best.

Real Avid is only good for doing work, it does not work for doing barrel swaps. I broke one trying. Buried in the manual it states not for heavy use. Why I got an Orange.

A U.S. made Wilton starts at around $700. I have a Taiwanese or Chinese steel vise for holding and smacking that I bought in my youth; maybe when it breaks I’ll get a U.S. made Wilton. The Orange fills a void and while costly, I’m certainly satisfied with it especially for something that essentially just holds stuff.

That Avid looks like a hobby vise at best.
The avid is not for banging and torquing. It’s just a holding device. I certainly wouldn’t torque a barrel on in it

The avid is not for banging and torquing. It’s just a holding device. I certainly wouldn’t torque a barrel on in it
The Avid won’t work for my needs. Doesn’t look strong enough, and I’d be concerned about it moving around wil rasping or chopping. At this point I think the orange truly will be the best choice.

I have the Real Avid set up in a workmate, since I have limited space etc. Works fine for cleaning & maintenance, however I'd prefer something more rigid for barrels, however it does accept a "reaction rod" type attachment that would be fine for AR's. The base can be "pinned" @ 90° for strength.
We have an Orange @ work with the jaws, & well it's "head & shoulders" over the Real Avid. It's about 3 times the price though. I'd still get one if I had the space, it's "top quality" , buy once, cry once
YMMV.

Attachments

• 20220302_141420.jpg
    20220302_141420.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I had one in my cart, and when I went to check out, gone. WTF? Do people get things stolen from their carts while at the grocery store?

Stupid iPhone mail sync fail. By the time I got the message, they were long gone.

I had one in my cart, and when I went to check out, gone. WTF? Do people get things stolen from their carts while at the grocery store?
So this is a common complaint on the internet, but the idea of things in carts being pulled from inventory, in a world where something like 70% of all carts are abandoned, broadly results in a business nightmare.

Fellas we would love to be dumping far more of these components into market. Unfortunately the number of vises we get from Orange is quite limited. Since we released this kit the number of vises they have sold has exploded well past anything they had ever seen before, and they are working on scaling production to meet this demand.

As we started this fire, they are releasing half of their production capacity to us, and half to the consumer backlog. In reality, most consumers ordering from them are cutting in line ahead of a VERY large order we made with them this winter, but that's ok. We are also releasing half of the jaws we make as individual kits, while the other half are being sold with vises. I think this is a reasonable way to keep things flowing (however slowly) for everyone until they get some more machines and staff members online.

Be kind to Orange if you are in contact with them. They are very much an industrial supplier and do not deal with many consumer sales. This is new for them and likely very stressful - consumer sales and industrial sales are VERY different.

Wanna be a dick to someone? Be mad at me here. Be nice to Orange and the team here at 419.

When is the next batch? How about putting in place a backorder facility so we can all line up in a fair, orderly way?

So this is a common complaint on the internet, but the idea of things in carts being pulled from inventory, in a world where something like 70% of all carts are abandoned, broadly results in a business nightmare.

Fellas we would love to be dumping far more of these components into market. Unfortunately the number of vises we get from Orange is quite limited. Since we released this kit the number of vises they have sold has exploded well past anything they had ever seen before, and they are working on scaling production to meet this demand.

As we started this fire, they are releasing half of their production capacity to us, and half to the consumer backlog. In reality, most consumers ordering from them are cutting in line ahead of a VERY large order we made with them this winter, but that's ok. We are also releasing half of the jaws we make as individual kits, while the other half are being sold with vises. I think this is a reasonable way to keep things flowing (however slowly) for everyone until they get some more machines and staff members online.

Be kind to Orange if you are in contact with them. They are very much an industrial supplier and do not deal with many consumer sales. This is new for them and likely very stressful - consumer sales and industrial sales are VERY different.

Wanna be a dick to someone? Be mad at me here. Be nice to Orange and the team here at 419.
I empathize with both sides. It’s a big tease when you have something in the cart and it’s OOS as you’re typing in your card number. Is it not possible to put a time limit on the checkout process like Ticketmaster does?

When is the next batch? How about putting in place a backorder facility so we can all line up in a fair, orderly way?
We have no idea, Orange has been trying to make some strides on production but it's slow-going to scale up at this point in time.

Since this is the case, we will not be accepting backorders. We don't want to take payment for an items we don't have and don't make.

We have no idea, Orange has been trying to make some strides on production but it's slow-going to scale up at this point in time.

Since this is the case, we will not be accepting backorders. We don't want to take payment for an items we don't have and don't make.
Thanks. I just need the jaw kit. So there's no ETA on just the jaw kit until vises are available?

Not mad at anyone other than myself for apparently not putting myself on the right wait list for this. Oh well, the wait continues for this and a reasonably price 590a1 retrograde.

I agree. An orderly backorder for jaw kits only seems to make more sense than a happenstance ”lucky to get an email because I had the day off and wasn’t in a meeting” plan. Current plan seems more like a random lottery.

But you do make the jaw kits!

I know that I have no idea what your challenges and limitations are. Just hoping to score a jaw kit! (In an less random way)

Last edited:
Reactions: MotoSinge
Looks like vises in stock also.
Not. Even Orange is out a few months. Website says 4 weeks, but via phone it’s more like three months. Apparently there’s an issue with an external vendor/process. I ordered in February and am told maybe early June. That’s what happens when your product is exceptional and word gets out.

I agree. An orderly backorder for jaw kits only seems to make more sense than a happenstance ”lucky to get an email because I had the day off and wasn’t in a meeting” plan. Current plan seems more like a random lottery.
Taking backorders on products you can't reliably procure in sufficient quantity is a nightmare for all involved. Puts manufacturers under the gun and makes for very angry customers when things inevitably go wrong in the supply chain. Nobody likes a massive demoralizing backlog, especially when demand won't keep up long enough to justify expansion. It's a massive problem in my line of work right now, and I imagine they have similar issues.

Yeah, fuck you for making a product so popular that I can't get one, and fuck you for being limited by external constraints outside of your control. Some vendors. Geez.

Note that I'm big on integrity, and promise to pull this post if you put me at the front of the line for the next batch and offer free shipping.

• Haha
Reactions: spife7980
We are in contact with Orange a lot - what we know is how many of these vises they had sold in the 3-4 years they had been available, before we pushed out a product to go with them and the content. We also know how many have been sold since.

These are all made up numbers, but imagine you have a business that does $1M in annual sales, and 5% of that was a certain product, so $50k/yr. Suddenly, in one month, that product goes from about $4k/mo in sales, to $40k, so something on the order of 10X growth. You've never seen it before, you don't really know if you can count on any ongoing sales, it has just been an explosion.

Do you shut down production of the products that have filled 95% of your revenue, falling behind on them, to account for this? Do you make a huge investment machines - which take months to get in and online - for what may be a flash in the pan? Do you Add a second shift, which means hiring (which is tough) and training (which is expensive) new people (which don't always work out) and take that risk? These things are what Orange is going through.

---

Also, on the desire for us to change the way we are pushing out product or change the way we do restock - that's unlikely. Again, there are a lot of things we weigh when we decide how certain parts of the business will work. I'm terribly transparent with you guys, but at the end of the day we have to make decisions that are best for us, and allow us to not only survive but continue to grow and push the envelope. You may not necessarily agree or understand, but that's ok. We can see things differently and still be friends.

Yeah, fuck you for making a product so popular that I can't get one, and fuck you for being limited by external constraints outside of your control. Some vendors. Geez.

Note that I'm big on integrity, and promise to pull this post if you put me at the front of the line for the next batch and offer free shipping.

You'd be shocked at the things we get nasty emails for. Seriously. Customer service is a tough thing. 98% of our customers are really great, but there are always the few that are really insatiable and angry for no reason.

That vise is a work of art. How are you liking to work with it.
I "just" came back to work and haven't had much time on it. However, first impressions are exciting, of course, quality & fit & finish are excellent. It's alot more easy to configure ( move around, adjust) than "your daddy's vise". The jaws work as described, and I could see myself, changing out to the "soft jaws" at some point to see how they work. My "old" vise was simply a large bench vise, that did swivel, however I never moved it, on this one that's alot "easier" and I'll see how much I make use of that? More to follow.

Reactions: Moose