• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Orange Vise/Area419 Collab

Received the vise from Orange, early March order. Indeed, it's a work of art. Not being Houdini manually, from now on I would prefer to scratch most of my rifles instead of the vise.

Vise came in handy, just putting some of the "pieces" of the next build together.

QJcaBrY.jpg

dO2Qofl.jpg

There was a restock on jaw kits in the last two months, if I recall my notifications.

Hey all, so last week we had a long and fruitful conversation with Orange. Early in the launch of this product it caught them offguard, as they had never before received consumer attention, and they were a little loose with the way they managed direct orders, which I think frustrated them, us, and a lot of customers, as we created a demand that massively outpaced their production ability. This, plus what has happened with raw material prices and availability, created something that became a bear.

Going forward I think you'll see (but maybe not until August/September) a much more orderly availability and release timing of all parts, with all parties being more protected from unknowns and frustration. Everyone lives and learns, this is no different. We will have many more jaw kits available pretty soon, we have a large batch being anodized now, and hopefully later this year things can be much more straightforward for everyone.

jaws re-stocked guys...thanks @flyer1a
Been waiting months for these to be restocked, so great news... but went through checkout only to find the massive price for international shipping. It used to be about $90, now over $200! Will reluctantly have to pass.

Last edited:
Not just these guys, Brownells has gone up quite a bit well, or at least from there "old" rates.

Been waiting months for these to be restocked, so great news... but went through checkout only to find the massive price for international shipping. It used to be about $90, now over $200! I guess Area419 have enough domestic demand, so international sales not important. Will reluctantly have to pass.

View attachment 7916173
Do you think 419 controls what UPs charges?

Reactions: flyer1a
The jaw kit comes in a 10x10x2 box with a shippable weight of 6lbs (5lbs 7.6oz, 2.48kg) if you want to run comps or have it shipped to a forwarder.

Reactions: MotoSinge
I would add that while USPS is still a palatable service, the foreign counterparts are often very slow and sometimes unreliable, I feel your pain @MotoSinge, as mine was also an intl order. I drank the koolaid because I really wanted those jaws and at least UPS will deliver them in a few days...while chasing local Customs and Mail service will cost me much more in term of time and hassle....moreover it's a 6# box as @TheOE800 said so it wil lnot be cheap anymore in the covid or post-covid era. I added some bits to the order just to sweet that pill.

Reactions: MotoSinge
I would add that while USPS is still a palatable service, the foreign counterparts are often very slow and sometimes unreliable, I feel your pain @MotoSinge, as mine was also an intl order. I drank the koolaid because I really wanted those jaws and at least UPS will deliver them in a few days...while chasing local Customs and Mail service will cost me much more in term of time and hassle....moreover it's a 6# box as @TheOE800 said so it wil lnot be cheap anymore in the covid or post-covid era. I added some bits to the order just to sweet that pill.
This is something we have struggled with over time - the use of USPS can reduce international rates, but the number of shipping failures, either damage, lost, or passed to a foreign carrier that never delivers, has led us to only using UPS, and only using their more express options. It's more expensive, but the product is delivered, quickly, and without damage.

Reactions: giumau1
This is something we have struggled with over time - the use of USPS can reduce international rates, but the number of shipping failures, either damage, lost, or passed to a foreign carrier that never delivers, has led us to only using UPS, and only using their more express options. It's more expensive, but the product is delivered, quickly, and without damage.
Has UPS said anything to you about refusal to ship gun and gun related parts

I have 2 Wilton vises like the one above, but they are chai-knee made.

Incredibly useful head design, but not a one made today is US made to a high standard.
There is one good rotating head vise still made in the UK 🇬🇧. It is installed on UK warships, among other places: https://swindens.co.uk/
5E8EFA36-B391-47FC-8AB3-150AB5E4E536.gif

So expensive they don’t list a price. Based on Wilton prices, I imagine north of $1.5k for the 4”, and they make up to an 8” ($$$, or actually £££).

Another one that seems to be decent is Polish and is made by Bison. I have heard zero about it, but they make good vises: https://www.bison-america.com/produkt-25712-1271.html
8C92DF47-8937-42E8-AF0C-E9313F3D425C.png

Notice the black bar sticking out the rear…I think that fits in the slots to really lock in any rotation. Apparently $950.

Both of these are made of high quality cast iron. What is the Orange vise body made of, btw? Their website doesn’t seem to say (mentions other bit’s materials, but not the vise body). Perhaps I’ve missed it. Not being disparaging, I just don’t know and am curious.

And then there is this: http://www.monsterballvise.com/
5BFA55A0-72B7-490F-AF3E-4562B5EA9565.jpeg

Probably a bit sturdier than an Anvil-30.

And for the fuck of it:
1FAFE08A-8F33-4572-AB65-E64C79BE4F5A.jpeg
1A830D13-23BF-4337-B41E-B3EEECBAEF68.jpeg
22C08D21-528B-4DE3-9F4F-0BEBEA66AF2F.jpeg
478C466C-A8EF-4C9A-899B-F1066D9058F9.jpeg

The anvil in there is about 230-260 lbs IIRC.

I have a bit of a vise obsession that you all have recently reactivated, damn you!

Last edited:
There is one good rotating head vise still made in the UK 🇬🇧. It is installed on UK warships, among other places: https://swindens.co.uk/
View attachment 8025673
So expensive they don’t list a price. Based on Wilton prices, I imagine north of $1.5k for the 4”, and they make up to an 8” ($$$, or actually £££).

Another one that seems to be decent is Polish and is made by Bison. I have heard zero about it, but they make good vises: https://www.bison-america.com/produkt-25712-1271.html
View attachment 8025674
Notice the black bar sticking out the rear…I think that fits in the slots to really lock in any rotation. Apparently $950.

Both of these are made of high quality cast iron. What is the Orange vise body made of, btw? Their website doesn’t seem to say (mentions other bit’s materials, but not the vise body). Perhaps I’ve missed it. Not being disparaging, I just don’t know and am curious.

View attachment 8025678

And for the fuck of it:
View attachment 8025679View attachment 8025680View attachment 8025681View attachment 8025682

I have a bit of a vise obsession that you all have recently reactivated, damn you!
Did you see the vise the guy made on the Fireball Tool channel?

View attachment 8025673

View attachment 8025674

View attachment 8025678

And for the fuck of it:
View attachment 8025679View attachment 8025680View attachment 8025681View attachment 8025682

That Bison-American vice looks almost exactly even down to the color (except for the little black key you pointed out) like a vice I ordered from the old Craftsman (Sears) tool catalog about 15 years ago for the shop at work.

Last edited:
Reactions: carbonbased
That Bison-American vice looks almost exactly even down to the color (except for the little black key you pointed out) like a vice I ordered from the old Craftsman (Sears) tool catalog about 15 years ago for the shop at work.
Was/is it a good vise? Does it hold the selected rotation independent from the jaw clamping force? (Even though it doesn’t have that black lock bar thing)

I ask because some rotating vises do not separate jaw clamp force from rotation clamp force / rotation lock. These tend to be the vises with the locking button/pin on the rear (doesn’t look like the Bison black thing, more like a cylindrical pin). The Yost DI, for example, is such an offender.

Super irritating to have to loosen the workpiece in order to rotate. Wastes time and invites dropping the work.

Also wasting time is that strange method the Orange bench vise uses for both horizontal and vertical rotation. The vise really needs to use a tool-less method…seems like a vestige from their CNC workholding clamps.

Did you see the vise the guy made on the Fireball Tool channel?

That’s pretty neat! He must have been aware of the style of vise that I posted. I that vise I posted was made of cast iron vs steel (I think).

Thanks for that. That Fireball dude seems intent on one-upping old monster vises.

Also wasting time is that strange method the Orange bench vise uses for both horizontal and vertical rotation. The vise really needs to use a tool-less method…seems like a vestige from their CNC workholding clamps.
I agree.

I’d love to see a larger version of this.

19F0F3F9-60E7-4506-93D8-38072ABE6335.jpeg

I agree.

I’d love to see a larger version of this.

View attachment 8026552
In jest:

57B3E442-3155-4CD6-A9C2-28D51119C09B.jpeg

+
67AA906B-D4B2-4961-9606-77B53865D5ED.jpeg

Although I think the Monsterball wouldn’t be up to the task.

But I agree it would be cool to see a giant Panavise.

On the cheap, a woodworker’s front or end vise would work well for gunsmithing if there is enough jaw overhang to be able to get a rifle near vertical. No rotating but add wood jaws with leather or rubber coating and they work well. Good ones are $200-$300+.

USA made one, quick release, $269:
D8392BAA-593B-4D37-870C-BDE012F78934.jpeg

Was/is it a good vise? Does it hold the selected rotation independent from the jaw clamping force? (Even though it doesn’t have that black lock bar thing)

I ask because some rotating vises do not separate jaw clamp force from rotation clamp force / rotation lock. These tend to be the vises with the locking button/pin on the rear (doesn’t look like the Bison black thing, more like a cylindrical pin). The Yost DI, for example, is such an offender.

Super irritating to have to loosen the workpiece in order to rotate. Wastes time and invites dropping the work.

Yes, it was locked. Great vice. How er the horizontal rotation lock could have had better lockup.

Reactions: carbonbased
I see rifles being involved in my life for many years to come and have invested in orange bench vice & area 419 jaw kit. Vise yet too arrive, from what i can tell moveable jaw is held in place with large SHCS, what size hex key is used for this?

I see rifles being involved in my life for many years to come and have invested in orange bench vice & area 419 jaw kit. Vise yet too arrive, from what i can tell moveable jaw is held in place with large SHCS, what size hex key is used for this?
5/32 for the jaws, 1/4" for the rest of the normally used fasteners on it.

5/32 for the jaws, 1/4" for the rest of the normally used fasteners on it.
Thanks, I see what you mean about jaws and swivel etc. looks like an enormous hex key used too move jaws. I won’t have anything like that big on hand and wanted to get on and order something before vise arrives.
Anyone know what hex is used for jaw fastener?

The jaws have a clamp assembly with a 5/16 low profile socket cap screw that uses a 5/32" Allen.

On there machining vise it is 3/4" to move the moveable jaw. The bench vise has a handle.

The two hex key sizes are all you need to use the vise.

The jaws have a clamp assembly with a 5/16 low profile socket cap screw that uses a 5/32" Allen.

On there machining vise it is 3/4" to move the moveable jaw. The bench vise has a handle.

The two hex key sizes are all you need to use the vise.
Orange vise co kindly inform me I need 5/8 hex key to reposition movable jaw.