• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Orange Vise/Area419 Collab

I'll say it's overpriced for what it does now, but if history is any indication I'll have one in a year.

In all reality, I completely understand why the price is what it is and don't deny that it really is the best solution available. I'm just not sure I'm ready to drop that much on something that replaces stuff that works and cost me less than $200.

I reached out to 419 today but haven’t heard back yet. I’m hoping orange makes like a quick change base for the vise because of I got two different benches I would like to mount the vise to depending on what I’m doing.
They do. We have 2 of these bench vises in the shop with bases on 2 other spots. My main work station I built a plate that goes on the under side of the bench with bushings that go through the top so I can move a base if I want to. I use the vise on the Surface plates and CMM plate a bunch also.

Given the interest, I don't see why they won't take backorders or at least pre-orders. Chances of me just happening to be at the computer when the email comes in next time and then having only minutes to complete order before they are sold out are slim. It's annoying to have to play games to buy something. Their business decision though.

Aren't there a couple of Area 419 folks on here? How about a SH group buy?
We have largely moved away form any sort of back/pre order with supply chain being what it is. Also, we don't make the vises. We don't want to be liable to you for something being made by someone else.

This last round lasted 23 minutes, again these are far more aggressively demanded than we thought. It's a good thing, and many more will be coming through in Q1, so everyone will have something to look forward through in the long, cold winter months.

AR jaws will almost certainly be made early 2022.

We have largely moved away form any sort of back/pre order with supply chain being what it is. Also, we don't make the vises. We don't want to be liable to you for something being made by someone else.

This last round lasted 23 minutes, again these are far more aggressively demanded than we thought. It's a good thing, and many more will be coming through in Q1, so everyone will have something to look forward through in the long, cold winter months.

Thanks for the update....will the AR jaws be designed to accommodate small and large frame AR Geissele reaction rods???

Thanks, I can certainly understand and appreciate that. I also know you don't want to get stuck with a bunch of unsold inventory. But I trust you are adjusting your orders from supplier given past demand?

With the quality Orange Vice Company puts out and the reputation they have......I would think if that pivot nub was a problem it wouldn't be there....I'm not worried about it at all.

I'm ordering as soon as they come back in stock.

You and me both, I'm not sure they will offer the same deal though with the Jaws. I hope they do.

To say this vice is nice is an understatement!!!! One full crank on the handle is perfect for clamping the arca. Once the major adjustment is set the rifle just sets on the jaws and doesn’t fall in the throat and then one full crank and it’s snug. Super easy to adjust the pivot and swivel. The hard coat anodize on it is smooth as silk and it feels like those adjustments are glass on glass.

Attachments

• 0E37441C-B8F7-4DDD-984A-B6B406CE44D7.jpeg
    0E37441C-B8F7-4DDD-984A-B6B406CE44D7.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 7936D8DC-BD7B-4F76-9A62-E9B3B43350FE.jpeg
    7936D8DC-BD7B-4F76-9A62-E9B3B43350FE.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 238
To say this vice is nice is an understatement!!!! One full crank on the handle is perfect for clamping the arca. Once the major adjustment is set the rifle just sets on the jaws and doesn’t fall in the throat and then one full crank and it’s snug. Super easy to adjust the pivot and swivel. The hard coat anodize on it is smooth as silk and it feels like those adjustments are glass on glass.

I'm happy for you and hate you at the same time.

I’ll just leave this here…

Damn, I wish this had a head like a multi-purpose vise, and it would be nice to have the rotation of the head done with a knob instead of a hex.

Wonder if something like this would work?

View attachment 7797585
It's a possibility. I think I have a few handles similar to that. I'll look when I'm in the shop tomorrow. There are 3 of these vices in the shop and there is a 1/4" T handle and the 5/32" that live at each of them. We have kicked the idea around of making those adjustments tool less, and just never have.

I have a vise like that, has a built in barrel holder on one side.
I have 2 Wilton vises like the one above, but they are chai-knee made.

Incredibly useful head design, but not a one made today is US made to a high standard.

I’d easily shell out $1,000 for a multi-purpose vise made of the quality of the Orange. Great for gunsmithing and wood work. Being able to clamp a revolver barrel and rotate the head to a comfortable carving/sanding position is great. Not having to change out jaws to hold flat stock is also great. Just rotate the head.

The V jaws are also replaceable so you can really tailor it as needed.

I want this vise in blue I seen one in blue on the web and it was sweet.

Blue and green vise.

Attachments

• OrangeVise-13_700x.jpg
    OrangeVise-13_700x.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 122
  • GreenBenchVise-1_200.jpg
    GreenBenchVise-1_200.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 110
I’d prefer V groove vise jaws over a new color.
There are plenty of us that can machine up a pile of V groove jaws. Can do them in aluminum and steel. I have a set of tool steel serrated jaws for when things are going to get ugly.

They have changeable jaws correct?
I searched pretty good, and didn’t find any V groove jaws except for those made by Area 419. I guess I could get a set of iron jaws and a no name set of magnetic V groove jaws to go over them, but that’s dumb.

The Orange bench vise is very nice, I am trying really hard to justify one. Price isn’t a factor, but the use you get out of it is. As it comes, it’s a big miss for me. I’ll keep an eye on it though and hopefully more aftermarket jaws will become available.

Here ya go.

Attachments

• benchvise_teaser_022__80015.1572892665.jpg
    benchvise_teaser_022__80015.1572892665.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 89
I searched pretty good, and didn’t find any V groove jaws except for those made by Area 419. I guess I could get a set of iron jaws and a no name set of magnetic V groove jaws to go over them, but that’s dumb.

The Orange bench vise is very nice, I am trying really hard to justify one. Price isn’t a factor, but the use you get out of it is. As it comes, it’s a big miss for me. I’ll keep an eye on it though and hopefully more aftermarket jaws will become available.

I have a feeling they will remedy this at some point.

@Moose I ordered direct as I wanted the blue one. No indication of wait times but I can let you know once I receive it.

Reactions: Moose
Thanks Bro and some pics please.The blue is my fav.

@Moose I get the feeling that it will be a long wait. I also asked if I could backorder the Area419 jaws specifically cause I'm usually OCONUS but they said no go.

Sounds like they will be inbound at some point but I'm going to have to monitor my email for them.

I emailed orange vise and they said about 4 to 6 weeks on a new vise.

Wonder if inline fabrication can make a quick change plate that will work with the base.
This is a nice vice.

Wonder if inline fabrication can make a quick change plate that will work with the base.
This is a nice vice.

Dan definitely can if you mail him the base or give him exact measurements....and/or you can buy one of Dan's blank quick change plates and mark and drill the holes out yourself...I've done that for a few odd things in the shop..

Reactions: DellaDog
We have one @ work to try, looks sweet in the pics, more to follow. Cheers

20% discount in this video if any of y’all are still looking

Reactions: mildot326