• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ORIGIN Orders

Any Origin owners chime in if you can file enough of the feedlips to get the magazine to run 100%. I wouldn’t file your mag release unless magazines wont seat. If they seat then this isnt the issue.

Was this an issue with an Origin action or something else? We want to clarify....

Thank you

Sorry no. This was on an RPR. Forgot what thread I was in and was just taking part in the magazine discussion.

I don't really see this as the fault of the action, just the way things are with bolt guns. FWIW I've seen it on every action I've tried as well and will test it on my TL3 when I get home.

I got tired of waiting for one to pop up on the classifieds. Just put an order in, #2131. Maybe my suppressor will be here when the action arrives.

Last edited:
I got tired of waiting for one to pop up on the classifieds. Just put an order in, #2131. Maybe my supressor will be here when the action arrives.

There is one for sale on 24hr campfire classifieds also

Thanks for the replies. I’ll just keep my order for now, don’t want to lose the non-refundable deposit and my bravo chassis is backordered too. DSG had a great price, $309 shipped.

My 240 hour wait period ends in about 6 hours.

Got everything except my .260 AI BBL from PVA, now sitting at 17 weeks.

I'll probably assemble it tonight with my CBI .308 barrel. Looking forward to see how pmags fit and feed with it in my magpul chassis.

Also worried about my trigger. Looking at my order form from Huber the other day I noticed they have an option for Bighorn actions. I just ordered the standard R700 trigger. Hoping mine wont have any issues, we'll find out tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: kriller134
My 240 hour wait period ends in about 6 hours.

Got everything except my .260 AI BBL from PVA, now sitting at 17 weeks.

I'll probably assemble it tonight with my CBI .308 barrel. Looking forward to see how pmags fit and feed with it in my magpul chassis.

Also worried about my trigger. Looking at my order form from Huber the other day I noticed they have an option for Bighorn actions. I just ordered the standard R700 trigger. Hoping mine wont have any issues, we'll find out tonight.

Can’t wait to see your build. Getting mine out of jail soon. Will post a picture later.

Managed to free up a few minutes this evening to mock up my build. Since my .260 AI barrel is still a while out, I threw on my factory savage barrel just to test fit.

Honestly I can’t beleive how well everything fit together. Huber trigger went in easy, barrel was a no brainer, and dropped right into my Magpul chassis. Pmags fit nice and tight with little effort and drop free, and .308 feeds like a dream out of them with this action.

I did manage get the bolt to bind on the feed lips but only if I were to rest the rifle’s weight entirely on the magazine. From the looks of it, a few swipes on the rear 1/3 of each feed lip with a file would solve the problem. And since I shoot mostly prone, I don’t consider it a problem yet.

Overall I’m very happy with how this build is turning out. I will get my new CBI bbl on it this weekend, along with my T5xi and have it out on the range next weekend.
EE2F27E3-B143-4913-AED5-E4F763B65A54.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone put in another order after receiving their first?
I did. I am really liking it, probably more than the nucleus straight up (but definitely at the price difference without preorder discount). Saw quite a few people selling multiples or company's reselling lately. Have enough new toys, will just wait on the order to get filled.

I ordered 2 nucleus's for matched builds for my son and I. Figure I will do the same with origins. Plus we already had matching custom build Savage dual port target action 6mm BR palma builds. Think my son might be spoiled.

Guys,
Need some help. My son and I assembled his rifle. XLR Envy, ORIGIN, PVA 24" .223 Wylde, using MDT Polymer 223 Magazines . He shot it yesterday. After about 10 rounds it settled in nicely to a solid .5-.75moa, this is using Black Hills 556 77gr OTM red box. Very pleased, with just screwing things together in the garage. VERY COOL project with my son.

The one issue was getting the magazines to seat, they are VERY tight in the chassis. Noticed a definite RUB mark above the mag catch spot on the mag. Once more or less forced into lock position they FED well. Any recommendations? sandpaper on the RUB mark? I would definitely rather mod the mag then the chassis.

WHICH bore guide works with the ORIGIN? I dont want to jam my 700 guide in there and booger anything up.

Thanks in advance.

My stock is out being bedded...

Has anyone installed their Origin in a stock with a straight bolt handle cut? If so, anyone have pictures of how much material they had to remove? Trying to decide if it's worth modify my stock when I get my action to hold me over until the one I have on order comes in.

ETA: Also, does the bolt release sit above the stock line or does that need to be opened up too?

Last edited:
Has anyone used one of these for the 12 point barrel nut? Yay or Nay?

https://aboloxtools.com/williams-scfxx-1-2-drive-crowfoot-wrench-flare-nut-12-point-sae

I did use that crowfoot wrench with the Bighorn 12 point barrel nut with a couple issues. The torque wrench will interfere with barrel with the short offset. I solved this by making a "offset extension" from a 1/2" extension. Welded the male and female ends of the extension to a short piece of 1"x1/8" flat iron. It worked excellent for me, I think a 1/2" universal joint would work as well but I wanted something rigid. Obviously the torque will be increased if the extension is inline with the wrench or basically unchanged if it is perpendicular to the wrench. Hopefully this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_20181007_145808.jpg
    IMG_20181007_145808.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20181007_145833.jpg
    IMG_20181007_145833.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20181007_145857.jpg
    IMG_20181007_145857.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 44
Has anyone installed their Origin in a stock with a straight bolt handle cut? If so, anyone have pictures of how much material they had to remove? Trying to decide if it's worth modify my stock when I get my action to hold me over until the one I have on order comes in.

ETA: Also, does the bolt release sit above the stock line or does that need to be opened up too?
I did on my McMillan very little I had to remove with a file. Mostly had to open up the ejection port. And the bolt release sits high

Reactions: Another Casual
I did use that crowfoot wrench with the Bighorn 12 point barrel nut with a couple issues. The torque wrench will interfere with barrel with the short offset. I solved this by making a "offset extension" from a 1/2" extension. Welded the male and female ends of the extension to a short piece of 1"x1/8" flat iron. It worked excellent for me, I think a 1/2" universal joint would work as well but I wanted something rigid. Obviously the torque will be increased if the extension is inline with the wrench or basically unchanged if it is perpendicular to the wrench. Hopefully this helps!

Thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering the flare nut socket already. Now I just have to decide if I want to buy the torque adapter or machine an offset extension for the socket.

Could a thicker recoil lug be used on the Origin action to utilize a shouldered barrel cut for the TL3 actions?

Last edited:
What triggers are yall having good results with? I am getting a lot of "cock on closing" with a Timney Calvin Elite - I adjusted the sear engagement and could tell a noticeable difference but I think I want to try a different brand trigger.

Mounted up and ready for zero/ load development.

KRG Bravo
M24 profile, 26" 6.5cm from Keystone (24 hr turnaround)
PVA Jet Blast
Gen 1 Razor

28ilulf.jpg
Did Keystone need your action? Let us know what barrel your using and how it shoots. Looks sweet

What triggers are yall having good results with? I am getting a lot of "cock on closing" with a Timney Calvin Elite - I adjusted the sear engagement and could tell a noticeable difference but I think I want to try a different brand trigger.

I have a Huber 2 stage, I seem to be having a lot of cock on close also. I measured my firing pin fall with the Huber, it is .270-.280 (having trouble getting an exact measurement). Many sources I've seen indicate .250 for a R700 is ideal, so at .280 it may be over cocking a bit. Not sure what the spec is supposed to be on these actions.

My Huber is also having issues with the 1st stage not pulling consistently, so picked up a Timney 1 stage CE I'm going to throw in to compare cocking with while I see if I can troubleshoot the Huber.

I got the rifle assembled with my 26" .308 CBI bbl for the range this weekend. Rifle will look pretty much like this when complete with PVA bbl except it will have a brake and shouldered bbl.
21.jpg
11.jpg

I'm having the same issue with a triggertech special. It takes a good amount of effort to close the bolt when running it slow. I can't really notice it when running the bolt fast.

Reactions: ZEROGUY
I'm having the same issue with a triggertech special. It takes a good amount of effort to close the bolt when running it slow. I can't really notice it when running the bolt fast.

Yup, everything felt a lot smoother when I got the rifle assembled and operated the bolt in a normal fashion with fluid motion. But still think she may be overcocking a bit.

Mine's the same with the TT special but it seems to be smoothing out a little the more I play around with it or I'm just getting used to it being heavy. My Stiller Tac30 and one of my 700's are much lighter though so it is kind of a bummer.

Hopefully no light primer strike issues like the nucleus with some triggers

Did Keystone need your action? Let us know what barrel your using and how it shoots. Looks sweet

They didn't NEED it per se, but since it was already coming from the manufacturer and I don't have a vice/action wrench yet (have to spread out these purchases a little), I had ZAI ship it straight to Keystone who torqued on a shouldered, threaded button (not his Kreiger's) barrel. He didn't charge anything extra for this and like I wrote previously, he turned it around in 24 hours. I tell you, between ZAI hitting the mark on delivery and the great experience with Keystone, I am very pleased so far.

One note for those that may have a similar issue. I didn't even think about the side release on the Origin. I have and wanted to continue to use a Jewell trigger; however, the one I have is a top safety, bottom bolt release. There is obviously no cut in the bottom of the Origin like on a 700. I was mad at myself for not thinking about that, but then I gave it a shot, and after tapping it into place, the Jewell bolt release just sits against the bottom of the action and everything appears to be working as it should.

I will hopefully have some group shots within a couple of weeks.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bR4qGT]
[/url]

Last edited:
I found this post from someone in 2017 - I wonder about sending in the Origin

"This is common it will not cause any damage or issues with your trigger. What you are feeling is the "Cock on Close" the cocking piece is engaging the trigger sear before the bolt is in full lock-up, thus it is holding the striker assembly in place while the bolt is closing the last little bit, also referred to as "Trigger Timing". As the action is cycled the closing cams (Ramps at the Breach end) will wear in a little and it will become smoother when closing the bolt. This timing can be adjusted by our team at BigHorn ($75) or another competent Gun Smith. Timing is specific to each individual trigger. "

Aaron Tritsch

Aaron if you don't want this posted than I'll take it down but maybe it'll save you guys over at Bighorn from answering the same question over and over.

I found this post from someone in 2017 - I wonder about sending in the Origin

Good info. I’m not used to any cock on close comming from my savage and Ruger American actions. This action is light years smoother than either of those, just a different feel to it.

Good to know they can time it to the trigger if I ever wanted to.

There’s a smith not too far from that can do it for not too much money. I might do it.

I have a calvin elite on mine. Only 60 rounds but no problems yet

I just got my geissele super 700 in yesterday and installed it. Cocking on open is smooth with normal cycling but some resists on closing the bolt (turning bolt down) . But not like a cock on close like a Enfield.

Running Calvin Elite 1 stage currently and love it so far. Have a Calvin Elite 2 stage on the way. Something is definitely wrong with my Huber and maybe how it fits with the action.

The safety is difficult to engage with the bolt in battery and both stages do not have consistent feel from shot to shot at all, unless I toggle the safety prior to each trigger pull. I am going to send it back for them to look at, I really want it to work well.

timney CE 2 stage.

had to fiddle with the factory over travel setting to get it to work properly. but eventually got it running perfectly fine