• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OTTO NoizeBarrier earpro same as new Etymotic Elites....

Shot for a few hours at a 3 gun match yesterday and they worked really well. I will say that with the large rubber flanges, some of the muzzle brakes on the ARs would make my ears ring when I was standing off to the side. Switched to the foam and no problems with that.

Got another chance to use them yesterday.
Confirmed that the HI setting absolutely does not have enough attenuation for range use.
Finding that the LO setting is just ok for conversations on an active range.
Wishing there was a continuously adjustable volume. That might help

For you guys that have them. Can you put the plugs in and put a set of muffs over and let me know if you can hear conversation from about the distance of a spotter?

I wear pluggs and muffs when shooting the 50 and half the problem is myself and the spotter are yelling at each other. Sometime we just like to yell lol, but it sure would be nice to talk in a normal type tone and be heard.

For you guys that have them. Can you put the plugs in and put a set of muffs over and let me know if you can hear conversation from about the distance of a spotter?

I wear pluggs and muffs when shooting the 50 and half the problem is myself and the spotter are yelling at each other. Sometime we just like to yell lol, but it sure would be nice to talk in a normal type tone and be heard.
My guess is that would cause feedback. Try sordins with a two way radio

Range update. Used all weekend and never had to charge the case once. 3 consecutive 8 hour days of shooting with the ear buds on the whole time and they only used 30-40% of their battery each day.

One day i had the lucky opportunity (insert sarcasm) of shooting next to an unsuppressed 300 win mag and that was a bit uncomfortable. However, if the sound wasnt bouncing off a metal shooting bench that i was laying under it probably would have been a lot better.

so far battery performance is excellent and overall sound attenuation is pretty good. still need to get custom ear molds though ( i was using the foam inserts).

Other than being rechargeable, are there any other significant differences between the Elites (when they arrive) or the Otto's and the currently released Gsport Pros? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the wait.

Speaking of rechargeable batteries, a technical question. I don't get out to shoot all that often, maybe once or twice in a 6 month period. As a result the buds would be sitting in the case "charging" for long periods of time. Perhaps so long that the batteries in the case could potentially drain. Could there be an issue with the batteries losing their effectiveness to take and hold a charge or to run down quickly with such long periods of sitting idle? Thanks

Other than being rechargeable, are there any other significant differences between the Elites (when they arrive) or the Otto's and the currently released Gsport Pros? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the wait.

Speaking of rechargeable batteries, a technical question. I don't get out to shoot all that often, maybe once or twice in a 6 month period. As a result the buds would be sitting in the case "charging" for long periods of time. Perhaps so long that the batteries in the case could potentially drain. Could there be an issue with the batteries losing their effectiveness to take and hold a charge or to run down quickly with such long periods of sitting idle? Thanks
I thought I read that the batteries automatically stop charging when full to prevent that issue, but I don't see that on their website and I don't have my manual handy.

FWIW, the case supposedly holds a charge for 30 days, but I charged my case just over 30 days ago and have charged the earpieces 3-4 times (maybe a 30% charge each time) and the case still reads 80% charge.

As I understand it, they have the same guts other than the batteries. The actual earbuds are a little slicker looking.

Reactions: kabarNC
Thanks for the range reports guys. Greatly appreciated

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I got some answers today to most of my questions from a very reliable source at Ety.

First, from a functional perspective the Elites and the GSP will be identical. The Elite will have the integrated windscreen and the push button control (plus rechargable) but otherwise the same. The microphone may be moved a little but the windscreen fixes most of this.

Second, from a battery perspective, once the buds are inserted into the case, they turn off so there shouldn't be any ongoing drain on the case battery once charged. The case battery should hold a charge for about 6 months.

Third, there will be an upgrade option available for GSP owners but what that will be was not disclosed.

Fourth, still looking at a mid May release but subject to change.

Fifth, the most interesting comment was on foam vs custom molds. There was very great hesitancy to say that custom molds provide better protection than properly inserted foam tips. The comment was the opposite might be true. I was told that if the foam tips are properly inserted, you can get almost 40 DB of protection. But to get that, you had to really squeeze the tips and get them sealed in the ear. The advantage to molds was consistent fit time over time providing normal levels of protection (~30 db).

Reactions: lash
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I got some answers today to most of my questions from a very reliable source at Ety.

First, from a functional perspective the Elites and the GSP will be identical. The Elite will have the integrated windscreen and the push button control (plus rechargable) but otherwise the same. The microphone may be moved a little but the windscreen fixes most of this.

Second, from a battery perspective, once the buds are inserted into the case, they turn off so there shouldn't be any ongoing drain on the case battery once charged. The case battery should hold a charge for about 6 months.

Third, there will be an upgrade option available for GSP owners but what that will be was not disclosed.

Fourth, still looking at a mid May release but subject to change.

Fifth, the most interesting comment was on foam vs custom molds. There was very great hesitancy to say that custom molds provide better protection than properly inserted foam tips. The comment was the opposite might be true. I was told that if the foam tips are properly inserted, you can get almost 40 DB of protection. But to get that, you had to really squeeze the tips and get them sealed in the ear. The advantage to molds was consistent fit time over time providing normal levels of protection (~30 db).
Thanks for sharing.

The comment on foam actually makes sense to me and matches up with my limited experience with custom molds. The molds fit great and are comfortable, but as they are not expanding to fill your ear like the foam, it makes sense that they would not seal quite as well as a good foam tip pushed in tightly.

Thanks y'all, I ordered a pair. I'm gonna wear them every day to work (metal roofing/ running an impact gun all day) and see how they hold up.

Reactions: Warpspeed
No reason to wait for the Elites if that’s anyone’s concern. Buy the OTTO’s now, same product.
My experience has been that the OTTO foam fit slightly better than the silicone but still not ideal. I’m going to try customs.

Reactions: kabarNC
No reason to wait for the Elites if that’s anyone’s concern. Buy the OTTO’s now, same product.

I wonder though if the Ety's will be less expensive since the Otto's are positioned for the mil market. Anyone heard of an estimated MSRP for the Elites??

Last edited:
I wonder though if the Ety's will be less expensive since the Otto's are positioned for the mil market. Anyone heard of an estimated MSRP for the Elites??
100% guessing, but considering the GSPs sell for $300 and the Otto's are $360, hard to see Ety selling the GSP Elite for less than $350.

Well, one option with the Ety is buying through OpticsPlanet with their 10-15% off coupons. Not sure its worth waiting for that discount though. I'll likely order some Ottos before the end of the month.

Anyone know if the GSP Elite on Optics planet are the elites or Otto’s? I called Optics Planet and they said they are the GSP’s. Called Etymotic and they said that they were not selling them directly yet. They pointedly never said that they were not out through other avenues.

I’m not seeing what you are seeing but if they are calling them GSP Elites then it’s a safe assumption they are Etymotic.
Having said that it’s suspicious because they weren’t supposed to be released until mid year. Either way looks to be the same product under two labels.

Alright, I've worn these things every day for a week, including a match on Saturday. Let me preface this by saying the nicest pair of ear pro I've used before these are some Howard Leight Impacts, so can't really compare with other higher end products. I install metal roofing on small buildings with an impact driver in an Indoor assembly line, so alot of noise where i work. I'm impressed with the electronics on these OTTOs, very nice to be able to block the harmful noises and still be able to have conversations/ talk on the phone.
Day 2 the foam tip of one of the optional earpieces separated from the sleeve it was glued onto, so moved to the extra silicone style plug. Not really impressed with the ends supplied with these, the foam tips are the most comfortable, but for me didn't hold up. The smallest of the silicone tips are still a little large for my ear canals, i have no idea who would be able to wear the large ones. Very nice they sent a few different styles along. I will be moving to a custom molded style plug for these shortly.
After wearing these a week solid (9hrs a day), i guess my ears got used to how the plugs feel? Discomfort is minimal now, still getting some custom molded tho. Still impressed with the sound quality on these, very clear.
Match day was awesome. 8 stages side by side, constant rifle fire, and no discomfort whatsoever. Very cool to now hear range commands and conversation clearly without wearing muffs. I can't stand muffs, can't get a good cheek weld and way too hot.
Best part is last, i charged the base up when i got the set, and after a week it's still showing 80% charge. The ear pieces were never lower than 50% charge after a 9hr work day, and match day (12hrs) they were showing 40%. So I'm going to see how long the base keeps a charge, so far alot longer than i expected!
Im far from any expert on audio devices as you can see, but I'm pumped about these things. Everything electronic is spot on, sound quality is great, suppression is great, battery side of things is better than expected, I'd buy again in a heartbeat. Just not sold on the ear tips, the only down fall to these. I'll quit rambling now.

Reactions: fx77 and lash
Alright, I've worn these things every day for a week, including a match on Saturday. Let me preface this by saying the nicest pair of ear pro I've used before these are some Howard Leight Impacts, so can't really compare with other higher end products. I install metal roofing on small buildings with an impact driver in an Indoor assembly line, so alot of noise where i work. I'm impressed with the electronics on these OTTOs, very nice to be able to block the harmful noises and still be able to have conversations/ talk on the phone.
Day 2 the foam tip of one of the optional earpieces separated from the sleeve it was glued onto, so moved to the extra silicone style plug. Not really impressed with the ends supplied with these, the foam tips are the most comfortable, but for me didn't hold up. The smallest of the silicone tips are still a little large for my ear canals, i have no idea who would be able to wear the large ones. Very nice they sent a few different styles along. I will be moving to a custom molded style plug for these shortly.
After wearing these a week solid (9hrs a day), i guess my ears got used to how the plugs feel? Discomfort is minimal now, still getting some custom molded tho. Still impressed with the sound quality on these, very clear.
Match day was awesome. 8 stages side by side, constant rifle fire, and no discomfort whatsoever. Very cool to now hear range commands and conversation clearly without wearing muffs. I can't stand muffs, can't get a good cheek weld and way too hot.
Best part is last, i charged the base up when i got the set, and after a week it's still showing 80% charge. The ear pieces were never lower than 50% charge after a 9hr work day, and match day (12hrs) they were showing 40%. So I'm going to see how long the base keeps a charge, so far alot longer than i expected!
Im far from any expert on audio devices as you can see, but I'm pumped about these things. Everything electronic is spot on, sound quality is great, suppression is great, battery side of things is better than expected, I'd buy again in a heartbeat. Just not sold on the ear tips, the only down fall to these. I'll quit rambling now.
I appreciate your personal experience report. Better than a formal or professional review in my opinion. Thanks for posting!

Here is the package:

Attachments

• BA271254-C1F1-4B70-BF1B-DCAE2DBFCADA.jpeg
    BA271254-C1F1-4B70-BF1B-DCAE2DBFCADA.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 152
The Elites sounds very different than my other electronic ear pro. I have MSA Sordine and Sport Ear Select a fits. The sound through the Elites is very crisp. Rifles almost sound like they have a can, no bark but you can hear the crack. Small sounds initiated the noise dampening like a broom on concrete. I had no issues shooting a braked rifle under roof, I was the only one there though. Sound quality was better than the MSA Sordine and the Select-A-Fits and protection seemed on par with the Sordins. I was using the foam tips. I have ordered some new tips from Comply Foam to see how they work, they have three different sizes to chose from.

Was hoping to talk with Ety today at the NRA show and play with the Elites. They had a booth allocated but no one attended. Called them on the phone. They said they're looking at sometime in June for a release. I asked about the OpticsPlanet order that SilverJay apparently received. The Ety rep said he was surprised and wondered if it was the Otto version of the product

I used teh Otto's last weekend at the range. I had an AR with a brake to my left and a Desert Tech SRS 338 LM two bays to my right. Covered/semi-enclosed area for the bays. The otto's on low worked great. no need for additional over the ear protection and they made it much easier to get comfortable on my rifle with a good cheek weld. Definitely recommend them.

Two weeks in, base still shows 60% charge, after wearing these every day to work. These things got DIRTY this week, lots of dust blowing around, and it's been hot. Still going strong, still don't regret a penny spent on them. Tried out the 5x amplifying mode yesterday, wow. Could hear everything, down to a conversion taking place 200' away, while still keeping out harmful noises. Definitely gonna use these to hunt. Found out if you leave the base sitting in the sun in a hot truck cab it will show high temp, and not start charging the plugs until it cools down. Kept it in the console after that, and problem solved.

How much of a pain are these to put in your ear, like with normal foam ear plugs I can never get them in just right, and with some other brands of ear plugs my ear gets sore after a couple hours???

How much of a pain are these to put in your ear, like with normal foam ear plugs I can never get them in just right, and with some other brands of ear plugs my ear gets sore after a couple hours???
Super easy. The foam compacts way down and gets in your ear really tight after expands. I wore them for 8-10 hours a day for 3 straight days and had zero discomfort. I’m working in custom ear molds for mine and hoping tat makes it even better. The only complaint I’ve heard of the foam inserts is that they break down fast.

Reactions: steve123
I ordered a pair to try out. I intend to use the foam plugs until I can get custom ones made or maybe even find more durable foam ones that are compatible.

Does anyone know if the peltor skull screws work with these? Those types of foam tips have always been most comfortable for me.

Looks like the Ety's are getting close to release. While OpticsPlanet lists them as OoS with no ETA, they now have full product pictures which could only come from Ety. In my mind, that means their (Ety) promo and advertising materials are ready to go. Let's see what the next couple of weeks bring.

Those who have the Otto's -- can you see any differences between what you received and what's in the Ety pictures? Obviously the case is a different color but is anything else different?

3M Peltor Skull Screw Replacement Tips, 370-1019-10 (Case of 10 Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEY4RRO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Vz09AbMJBK9AD

I received my OTTOs and can confirm these work, though they do make them stick out just a hair more from your ear than the stock foams, not a big deal. they are much more comfortable for me.

So far i am pretty impressed with them, though i do notice that if i jingle my keys while i'm wearing them on either setting, i will get a static noise coming through, guessing something to do with the high frequency, does anyone else experience this?

I received my OTTOs and can confirm these work, though they do make them stick out just a hair more from your ear than the stock foams, not a big deal. they are much more comfortable for me.

So far i am pretty impressed with them, though i do notice that if i jingle my keys while i'm wearing them on either setting, i will get a static noise coming through, guessing something to do with the high frequency, does anyone else experience this?

Yep, same here. Also drilling aluminum with a cordless drill will make them go nuts as well. Thanks for the link to the new ear pieces, gonna try these. So far been using what came with the set, these look like what i want tho. Overall this ear pro in general is still holding up great, base charge is down to 40% since i purchased it, pretty happy actually.

Reactions: Patty