• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OTTO NoizeBarrier earpro same as new Etymotic Elites....

I just got off using the NoizeBarriers on the range for 3 classes back to back to back starting Friday. Prior on Wednesday I took the set out, freshly charged, for 2 hours on the range. Came back and kept it out of the charging pack 'cos I wanted to see if there would be some power drain. By Friday AM, I did a quick check before the class started and it was showing 90%. By end of Day 1, it was 60% with my keeping it on from 9 am to 4pm with a 45 min break from use for lunch. I put the pair back into the charging pack that night and repeated it again the next day, same results ending the day at 60%. By the end of day 3, the charging pack was showing 90%. I had some interference on the left side the first day and it would appear to be from not properly inserting it into my ear. I started with the smaller flanges but it was too deep inside for comfort so I swapped it out for the larger ones that first morning. Did not run in at HI, kept it a LO through out and did not have any issues both outdoors and in the shoot-house. Instructions/commands were clear, granted did not shoot anything other than pistol caliber in the shoot-house. Now my understanding is that Otto approached Ety about getting these particular model, spec'd out for themselves so I'm kind surprised to hear that Ety is also selling these.

I just picked up a set of ottos from botach on ebay after yesterday's 20% off sale. will update with results if anyone is interested :)

Interesting... I'm curious to see how they perform I had been waiting for the gun sport elite to come out.

OTTO’s still performing fantastically.
Battery life is superb
Don’t use Hi setting but low setting works well for most situations

I just picked up a set of ottos from botach on ebay after yesterday's 20% off sale. will update with results if anyone is interested :)

I need to get a pair. How much were they with the coupon? Is it or was it a one-day sale or is it on-going?

Sigh, I never hear about these types of deals until after they're over.

I need to get a pair. How much were they with the coupon? Is it or was it a one-day sale or is it on-going?

Sigh, I never hear about these types of deals until after they're over.

ebay has been having random 1 day sales, this one was a 20% off sitewide one. i offered 325 to botach and also used the code, so OTD it was $260 for me. I've seen 15% off sitewide more often, they don't really announce them that much in advance.

edit: gross, botach shipped them out via fedex smartpost, more expensive and about 3 times slower than USPS. ETD tuesdayish.

Last edited:
multiple deal sites posted it, along with the deals section on a california firearms forum (I'm in california). I think there have been sales every month or so, but not all at 20%.

Good news and bad news..

The Otto Noizebarriers arrived early, but it appears one of the plugs does not work. The charging case says 90% but I'll charge both and see if I can get it working. I also sent an email to Etymotic to find out who I should be contacting for warranty. ETY has been great to me in the past, I've not dealt with Otto before. We'll see.

A little update from me, last time i charged the base was Apr 16, the day i got the set. Ive worn them 5days a week 8hrs a day since then, and the base still shows 20% charge. Earbuds after an 8hr day now, still show 50% charge remaining, same as when they were new. Mine have been abused and have held up well (besides the foam earpieces, which were replaced long ago, by the recommendation here).

I’ve been using the OTTOs now for a month and my experience echos the same of most users here. I switched the foam tips out for the comply ones off of amazon and found those to be the most comfortable for an extended day. These things are just plain awesome.

That’s great, I’ve got a set coming my way. @Patruck825 got a link to which comply tips you got?

these are the ones i ordered, i picked up medium and they fit great, i feel like i have average to small ear holes based on how other ear plugs have fit me in the past.

just realized i cant say ear holes without laughing.

I've been running these for about a month... at ranges, a class, and a match. performed flawlessly and the battery seems to last forever.

All of you agree that the Hi setting is useless for shooting?
Only reason I could see using Hi would be if I were hunting sitting static... maybe...

Hi is definitely not useless in my opinion. They are great in hi for when you are receiving stage brief/range commands and they still lower the sound of the gunshot down to ear safe levels just as normal mode does. Lots of hard of hearing folks prefer the hi setting too.

All of you agree that the Hi setting is useless for shooting?
Only reason I could see using Hi would be if I were hunting sitting static... maybe...

I do agree, I can hear on lo as if I were not wearing anything at all. Hi amplifies non important noises too much for me, I could imagine if I were sitting in a tree stand it may be helpful.

I got my Ottos this weekend and tried them out. It was a different experience for me. I usually wear regular foam plugs or when shooting pistols I’ll use razor walker electronic ear muffs. The razors will cut the mics when there is gun fire. The ottos will allow the gun fire to be heard but at an acceptable level which confused me at first. I thought something wasn’t right. Overall I like them just need to get used to hearing gun blasts. I can see these being very useful when hunting.

I got my replacements straight from Otto. They work just fine, looking forwards to using them, will update with relevant data when available.

@Mikhailovich
Had the same experience with the Walkers vs the OTTO’s.
Really like the OTTOs. Hoping to convince them to make the HI setting more usable for shooting. Other than that I’m super satisfied
Hoping to find a sale similar to the $260 Ebay/Botach price above so I can pickup a 2nd pair for the wife.

@mrtoyz You really scored on that deal, I got mine for 295, from eBay/botach. I used the hi setting briefly around the house and it was cool to hear the birds chirping high in the sky. The lo setting was plenty loud for me on the range so I didn’t bother trying the hi setting. I’m going to put them to use at work as well, I work for the railroad and wearing regular earplugs makes it hard to hear my radio.

I was told today Etymotic stopped production and is making changes for some problem. Anyone else heard anything?

20% off ebay code (for up to $50 off)

PARTYINUSA

Good through July 3rd.

I did not check to see if it worked for the Noizebarriers botach sells...

otto3.jpg

So here's my review of the Otto's. I'm 7 days into a 17 day training session so I've run them a little bit.

I got tired of waiting for Ety to release theirs and I knew I had this 17 day session in southern NV where the temps have been averaging 110 degrees for the week. I've been using MSA Sordins for years but didn't want to have over the ear for comfort's sake. I brought the Sordins "just in case" but after the first day I packed them up.

In a word -- they are awesome!! I am using the Comply P Series foam tips for greater sound isolation and comfort.

At the beginning, I fully charged the case and tips (photo attached). Most days the sessions run from 8 am to 5 pm but several days included night shoots until 11 pm. I put them in at 7:45 am or so and except for a hour lunch break, they never come out or got turned off. At the end of a 5 pm day they are at 50% battery life; at 11 pm, 40%. After 7 days of recharging, the case itself is at 90% battery. That's great IMHO. I'm going to see how many charges I can get out of the case before recharging the case itself. BTW, it's not documented (that I could find) but there is a thermal protection circuit in the case which prevents charging if the case is too hot. How do I know? After a day at 118 degrees, I put the ear buds in to charge and put the case in the back seat which was partially in the sun. After about 20 minutes of yacking, I checked the case to see the charge level and there was a thermal overload icon on the screen with no charging occurring. I put the case on a A/C vent while driving and after it cooled, it starting charging.

I originally had the neck lanyard attached but after the second day, I took it off. With the Comply foam, they never moved or got loose. I am not doing stand and deliver either, these are tactical sessions -- throwing yourself on the ground and other barriers, moving and running, weird positions, dragging objects and so on. They stayed put with no problem.

I am only using the low setting. It sounds like normal hearing. I tried high for about 5 minutes and while very loud (to hear commands), the sound attenuation is far too slow for comfort. I can see using high if you're hunting and will only have 1 shot or two but not for range or other shooting.

Which brings up the greatest strength and weakness -- you forget you're wearing them. You really do. No head squeeze, no eyeglass piece digging into the temple, it is so comfortable. It's just another day but the guns don't bother you. On low, attenuation is immediate yet graceful for lack of a better word. Without something to compare the noise with, you don't even notice the attenuation, it just happens. You also have a normal sound field. I can hear shooters in front of me and a car engine behind. For example, with the car I could hear and judge the attenuation. Guns went off and the car sound got quieter then after a second or two the car sound came back up as the attenuation decreased. Like I said, "graceful" is the best way to explain it. On the flip side, because you don't notice them and you just wear them all day, you might forget to put them on after lunch! On one occasion I had to be reminded to put on ear pro. I just assumed they were in because you don't really notice that they're there.

On low it seems like the attenuation happens not just for noises over hearing safe levels but for any major change in sound volume from the prevailing average. For example, we were sitting and talking when people started clapping. Definitely not unsafe but I could tell attenuation happened. There were some sudden noises in a building, again not hearing unsafe but I could tell by the change in ambient noise that attenuation had occurred. IMHO, it's nice they protect across all sudden changes not just at hearing unsafe levels. When it kicks in it's not as though you go deaf, it's just a little quieter then back to normal levels. I'll say it one last time -- graceful.

In a couple of days I change to rifle (AR-15 and similar) so I'll see if there's any change in opinion on them. I expect I'll feel more of the concussive blast since the Sordins cover a fair bit of the head and absorb some of that impulse. I'll let you know.

New gun guy thanks for the write up. Keen to hear how the go with the use of the AR

Reactions: rreidiii
Just acquired a pair of these. Can't wait to try them out. This product seems very well thought out, and if it holds to be durable and work as well as others on this forum have suggested in their reviews; they will be worth every penny they sell for. I will be going to the range this weekend to try them out. I'll be shooting my 300 WinMag which is also ported, so I should have a really good idea how they handle the noise dampening. Currently I wear plugs and muffs when I shoot the 300 WinMag; I'm hoping that these little gems will eliminate the need to do so.

Here's the promised follow up to my earlier review after 3 days in with rifles. I'm still loving them.

I was initially paired with someone using a brake on their AR and it was LOUD!!! You could really feel the concussive blast too. However the OTTO's modulated the noise instantly. This was on the low setting. I didn't even dare try it on high after my experience with handguns. I'm sure they would clip to hearing safe level but the overall attenuation on high after clipping is far too slow (IMHO) for comfort. If you're hard of hearing this probably wont matter but it is real.

That shooter is no longer participating so for the last two days it's been regular flash hiders, etc. on the other guns and there's no discomfort using the OTTO's around them. Clipping to hearing safe is instantaneous and attenuation to comfortably quieter is almost the same. I can still hear and conduct a conversation while guns are firing without a problem. Similar to handgun, you just forget you're wearing them because they are so comfortable both on and off the firing line.

In a very quiet environment, there is a slight "huussshhhhh" sound of amplification but it's impossible to hear in a normal conversation or other activities including shooting.

I have come across one anomaly though. When I drop the plugs into the case to charge, one is constantly reporting 10% less of a charge than the other. It could be one is not charging enough or the other is over-reporting its charge. I don't think the usage between my right and left ear would be that significant. Of course what's in between is completely hollow so that may make a difference. :) :) :) Regardless, I contacted OTTO and they have been very good to work with. We're doing tests to see if it's the plug or the charging port in the case. They have promised to take care of the issue once we figure it out.

In summary -- if you're on the fence about getting these, don't be. They are worth every penny and I'm glad I spent mine to get them. I'll be interested to see if and when Ety comes out with theirs and and any differences between theirs and OTTO's. But I'm a happy camper err shooter.

Reactions: dghboy315
Thanks for the recommendations on the Comply foam tips. They are fantastic and makes the Etymotics feel like a new (and much better) set of plugs vs the silicone tips I was using. I can actually shoot with just the Etymotics in vs Etymotic and muffs that I was using before. I can't believe what a difference they make.

Just put my base on the charger for the first time since Apr 16. Base showed 5% charge left this morning. Ive worn these 5 days a week to work since i got them, been to 2 PRS matches with them, been in dust, heat, and rain, they kept working great. These and the Comply tips are worth every penny in my opinion.

I used my set through around 5 hrs of shooting and they were pretty much un-noticeable. I'm quite pleased with my purchase :)

Anyone know of a eBay coupon code. The only one I can find is PRIMO and they say that this purchase isn’t eligible for that code.

Well crap, I just ordered mine today at lunch. Guess I will send them an email and see if they will honor the discount :(

I ordered a set this morning. I hope they are as good as everyone here says. I did shoot with a guy this weekend that was using them. He liked them a lot. He said the only issue he has is in really hot weather they sometimes slip out of his ear.

Order the Comply replacement foamies. A definite improvement in fit and noise suppression

Order the Comply replacement foamies. A definite improvement in fit and noise suppression
Am over in the comply website- what size/model replacements are you guys buying that are compatible?

Thanks Bryan. I've had my eyes on these for over a year. Pulled the trigger last night with the discount code you listed. Worked great.

AWESOME. I've been looking at these for a while and have been actively trying to purchase them for the last month or so. Using every eBay coupon code I could find. Finally got on that worked. Had to pass it on.

Anyone know if these are analog or digital? Called OTTO and they said proprietary so no answer, which I'm guessing is due to Etymotic making them.