• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Overwhelmed with Chassis options, need more info

scubadds

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2010
Have been Looking at DTA covert/SRS, at local shop; but I'm lefty.
Concerned that it might not be comfortable, so I am looking at other options for a bolt gun.
Spoke with Wade at Surgeon, now doing a bit of research before I make a decision. Looks like they have a good number of choices listed on their websight, and now I am trying to read every thread to contrast the chassis systems...
I see so many options for chassis that catch my eye, XLR, Drake, JAE-700, etc,etc. As I had not been in the market for bolts guns, I am finding the options overwhelming, and I can't find much info besides pictures discussing the pro/cons of each system (weight, folding, adjustments, mono pod, etc.)
Is there a place to see most of the current choices in a concise manner? Maybe a recent magazine article that compared them? or a review or a thread that contrasted them?
I am drawn to the Remington MSR look for some reason.
Coming from the AR/SCAR side of the world, I've been in it long enough as each of the new stocks come out, its easy to "file" it in your brain. But If you just started reading forums/magazines to pick a stock; I would imagine it would feel like there are so many choices....with little differences other than "feel"
looking hard at .260 caliber, if not matters
Thanks for any help and your patience

Re: Overwhelmed with Chassis options, need more info

thanks

I don't know how I missed that one....
I actually did search and read thru many pages on the bolt gun category

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scubadds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks

I don't know how I missed that one....
I actually did search and read thru many pages on the bolt gun category </div></div>

The search on here blows big time... I remember reading it when it started and went into google and found it.

looks like there are many other stocks in addition to those....
But a good primer to get me started

I'm fairly new to the longrange shoot, I was mostly into shooting handguns. Looking through the selection of stocks and chassis, I went with the McRee. It has the adjustments you need and being left handed it fit issue. I like not having the plastic that panels that can get damaged.

I haven't even painted mine, it always draws attention when I drag it out. My R700 barrel and action dropped right into, toque the 2 retaining bolts and your ready to go. There is no fitting or bedding to deal with. I have even swapped the barrel and action for another caliber, not something I would do often but it still works.

Please take a look at our chassis systems if you like M24E, M.S.R., XM2012 chassis. Type chassis systems. We offer the Gen 3 variant of this called the Strike Dual chassis made by Cadet. This is the same designer that built the original style for those projects.
www.drakeassociates.us

PG1.jpg

Eliseo RTS was my preference
completely encloses action vs just sitting on chassis
Utilizes a 360' recoil lug
Defiance makes an action specifically for it, the Mutant

Better option than 260
XC, CM or X47
would all be a better option via short action

I too am a lefty shooter. left eye dominant... not sure if I wanted a custom lefty because if I ever have to sell it and my boys are both right handed shooters. Just so happens that Tom Sarver at Thunder Valley builds a bad ass rifle and uses the Sentinal Combat Stock that is 100% ambidextrous so it was a no brainer...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: majohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm fairly new to the longrange shoot, I was mostly into shooting handguns. Looking through the selection of stocks and chassis, I went with the McRee. It has the adjustments you need and being left handed it fit issue. I like not having the plastic that panels that can get damaged.

I haven't even painted mine, it always draws attention when I drag it out. My R700 barrel and action dropped right into, toque the 2 retaining bolts and your ready to go. There is no fitting or bedding to deal with. I have even swapped the barrel and action for another caliber, not something I would do often but it still works.
</div></div> +1 for Mcree. I recently bought my second one and im sure will pick another one up in the future. My friend has a xlr iv had a lot of trigger time with too, great stock but Id still go with mcree over it.