• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Please identify this...

Strongarm$$

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Hi all,

I just got a vortex pst 4-16x50 FFP PST. Only had a couple minutes to examine it thus far but I noticed this when I looked through the optic through the objective. It looks like a black fiber or something. Sorry for the bad pic but it's only visible at an angle. Doesn't seem to affect the anything in any way other than me noticing it and being curious. So what do I have here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 17
Can you see it on any power when looking through the scope the way you will be using it?

If it bothers you then contact Vortex customer service. They will get it taken care of for you.

It looks like something has worked it's way into the optical system. Possibly part of an o ring or some sealent. Do you see anything from the ocular end? Depending where it is at you may see nothing more but a "shady" area or a slight change in resolution/clarity on a target in the affected area.
You can try to adjust the scope and see if the problem goes away or becomes worse, but either way contact Scott here on The Hide and he can help you out or call CS as Rob has said.
Thanks,
Paul