• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Poor accuracy from my recent build (Kreiger barrel)

We had a thread like this a few months ago. Advice was all over the place. Shooter said he could shoot, but was looking to tighten up his groups.

He squared his receiver faces on a .204 Ruger and .264 LBC IIRC, bedded the extensions and gas blocks, and went from ~MOA to 1.5 MOA guns, to .5 MOA and .75 MOA guns. He basically halved his 5rd group sizes, and there weren't just one or two of them. He printed consecutive strings of fire that consistently shot .5 MOA or better, and .75 MOA or better with each AR15.

After the OP gets finished lapping and bedding, I still wholeheartedly support the sound marksmanship advice given here by shooters more accomplished than me.

OP: I noticed that you said you shot well with your .260 Rem on the same day. Is it a bolt gun?

If so, I would also reiterate using a different approach to driving a gas gun. They need to be held more firmly, with solid rearward pressure from your 3 fingers on the pistol grip straight back, with a nice firm cheekweld. They don't free recoil well at all because of the reciprocating mass secondary and third impacting impulses on your position.

Maintain a great sight picture throughout the process of taking the shot, as you break the trigger through the center of the target. When shooting from a rest, try settling the gun in your dry-fire routine before you go live. Slightly jerk the rifle rearward, simulating recoil, and see where your Natural Point of Aim is. Once you are able to do that without the crosshairs departing from about a 1.5 MOA arc, and you feel very confident in the position, go live.

I spent a lot of time shooting from a rest day after day, from 0900-1700 doing accuracy testing of high-end factory rifles, many of which had Krieger barrels, and I don't think shooting with a rest really changed anything for accuracy potential with me. It actually made it a bit more difficult to shoot, since there was a mechanical device between me and the rifle in the butt area, but I still printed 1/2 MOA or better groups if the barrel could do it. Rifles didn't leave the factory without a verified 1/2 MOA accuracy target accompanying them, and the Krieger barrels would literally do this as virgins usually. It was rare that the 1st 3 rounds were not 1/2 MOA or better.

Before you disassemble everything or go spending money, I'm still going with:

1 - Work up different loads for this specific rifle (as I mentioned before and why)

2 - Follow through is actually more important on a gas gun than on a bolt. While good follow through is great on both, you'll notice it more on a gas gun because, for the lack of a long technical explanation, there are a lot of things moving around between the time you pull the trigger to when the bullet leaves the barrel. Bad follow through is exponential on a gas gun due to this. My suggestion is simple; keep your head still and on the exact spot on your stock before/during/after firing and have the trigger pulled all the way back at least 2 seconds after firing.

Shooting a 5.56 gun is nothing like a .308 or similar cased semi.

They are MUCH easier to shoot and do not require the attention to detail and fundementals that shooting a .308 frame gun do.