• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible Sniper's Hide Spec Built Caliber Choices

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Okay, we talked about this briefly but things are starting to move forward and I wanted to check a few things out before getting too involved in the build specs.

The Sniper's Hide M2009 build will be loosely based off the Gladius which was an 18.5" 308 rifle that George spun together for me. Its been working out really well but I was considering mixing it up a bit especially since I was the only one who ordered the Valkyrie in 308, so I wanted to see what the thoughts were on something else.

Before you go adding your two cents, understand the odds of this having a barrel longer than 20" is slim to none right now. This is a mission specific rifle being built and its not a 1000 yard F Class substitute if you want to shoot a 1000 yards in the F Class F/TR division you should look somewhere else. That being said I have zero issue hitting a 1000 yards with my Gladius, and find the accuracy and handling of the smaller rifles is triumphing the 28" barreled beasts out there. I get it, you want warm and fuzzy and an 24 to 26 inch barrel, well not from me.

But anyway, check a box in the poll and lets see what happens. Should be interesting.

For those that ask: The original Gladius...
    Gladius7.jpg

On youtube
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

This is just a tease and a test of the waters... so don't flood me with questions yet.

Re: Possible Sniper's Hide Spec Built Caliber Choices

I voted something else.

should have had a "fill in the blank"

That's a pretty freaking cool vid. I haven't had the chance to see someone shoot that far. Looking forward to trying that out myself. What was that swinging under the rifle, and what's it's purpose?

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a pretty freaking cool vid. I haven't had the chance to see someone shoot that far. Looking forward to trying that out myself. What was that swinging under the rifle, and what's it's purpose?

-Pat </div></div>

Uh, my scope covers.. the stock NF bikini cap, it is tied to the scope and hangs free when I'm not using it.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What was that swinging under the rifle, and what's it's purpose?</div></div>
    NF scope covers that are strapped to the scope.

Uh huh surrrrre it is.....Baahaahaahaa! I'm positive it's some kind of secret squirrel polyhydroxylated turbo 5000 stabilizer.

Don't lie to me....LOL!

-Pat

Has anyone shot a .260 in a 20" or shorter barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone shot a .260 in a 20" or shorter barrel?</div></div>

Gonna find out, shouldn't be any different you can load a 260 with Varget the same as a 308 so why not... we already have been discussing it.

I think it will work the same, if not better.

I had my badger fitted with an 18" Krieger tightbore (.2980" bore and .3065" groove diameter). It shoots fantastically and I get 2550ft/s with M852. That's pretty much the published velocity for that ammo, and yet I'm sure they derived that velocity based around the M24, which has a 24" bbl.

So I get the same basic performance with 6" less bbl. Friggen sweet! (I was very surprised and pleased with this.)

Will it be a tightbore?

.416 Rigby for hunting Shanksters girlfriends

Well I highly doubt 31 people are going to be buying this regardless of whether it was a 308 or not... and the original Gladius is an 18.5" barreled 308 that gets 2605fps with the new Black Hills and 2595ft with Cor Bon, so velocity is not an issue.

I think a 260 might be more interesting and like I said, nobody but me ordered a 308 in the Valkyrie build, so unless I can measure the commitment level, I my just make my own decision... cause I need to know the real numbers and not stacked bs. If this rifle goes it needs hopefully 20 buyers.

LL, will we be limited to only one caliber, or will we have a choice of several, like the Valkyrie?

Actually, I've been thinking over the "Rather a bit less than 1Kyd" category for a ballistic choice for some time; and I recently found 300 .22-250 cases in my midden. Well, having been down the "Gee, what about the .22-250 for a match cartridge" road and finding that path way too rocky (and sweaty, that sucker gets HOT!); I figured, "Hey Dude, maybe not a bad capacity for 6.5mm, long as we don't have to go the full yardage, Baby...).

And somebody was kind enough to mention it already existed as a Wildcat called (of all things) the 260 Bobcat.

For a way to get a 6.5mm bullets to stand up and beg in an 18.5" barrel, well; I ask you...

It's a 1 caliber, this is it take or leave it choice... its not a partial spec but a full spec.

Approx $3k give or take a few bucks

As long as it does not shoot .177 BB’s & is based off of a Red Rider action... I am in irrespective of the caliber. I entrust LL will put together a kickass package. I am not a BS’er & I am ready to send fund the moment Lowlight gives the greenlight.

I would want a 6.5-08.

Would it be in the same stock? A KMW Sentinel stock would be tits...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the original Gladius is an 18.5" barreled 308 that gets 2605fps with the new Black Hills and 2595ft with Cor Bon, so velocity is not an issue.
    </div></div>

Frank, this "new" black hills you speak of.....is this something they changed following talks at SHOT? I assume you are referring to them correcting what has become a slow load over the last few years. The CorBon load you mentioned, is that the SH load or your scenar load? My pseudo-Gladius should be here soon and I am debating what to feed it.

I would do a Sentinel but I don't think they are available from MCM only through Terry, although I can talk to him because having seen and shot it, it kicks ass.

The "new" Black Hills is not available, and really I'm not supposed to speak about it much. But I got 2700fps out of my Valkyrie, (22") so its back up there and maybe released as an LR round. I wouldn't ask them about it, its bound to be an issue talking before they are ready.

The Cor Bon is sped up as well, I think Pete just tweak the standard SH Load he offers and it was up there as well. Both the new BHA and CB are within about 20fps of each other now.

The Cor Bon I use is both the SMK load and the 175gr VLD load... do to component shortages its hard to say whats available right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    The "new" Black Hills is not available, and really I'm not supposed to speak about it much. But I got 2700fps out of my Valkyrie, (22") so its back up there and maybe released as an LR round. </div></div>

That is good to hear as their .308 175gr SMK ammunition seems to have lost 65 FPS in the last 5 years (over the Chronograph through same rifle).

Voted .260.

308 nah many other choices do it so much better, i would fall into "other" group my 308 may just under go transformation into 20" barrel.

6.5x47 130gr JLK 2800fps OAL 2.800

7saum 162AMAX 2900fps OAL 2.870

6xc 115DTAC 2900fps or 105 JLK 3000FPS OAL 2.870

just food for thought

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stop bouncing- go 260 and don't look back.
    </div></div>

OK that is what I picked.
    cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would do a Sentinel but I don't think they are available from MCM only through Terry, although I can talk to him because having seen and shot it, it kicks ass. </div></div>

I'm sure you could bat your eyes at Terry and make it happen....
    laugh.gif

I voted .308 on this one, although .260, or even the Creedmoor would be cool. It would be interesting to see what kinda velocites the CM would get out of an 18 incher.

If this came to fruition with a Sentinel stock, I might have to start selling sperm to get in on this.

As of now, I just waste it all on that sock by the bed....

Just a thought but one of the actions that allowed the use of AW mags with the Sentinal stock would be shit hot.

I am a dinosaur and voted .308.

I will probably do something like this within the next 12 months anyway so this could be good, but it's gotta have a folding stock. On that note - whatever happened to McMillan's folder project that they were working on a couple years ago?

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would do a Sentinel but I don't think they are available from MCM only through Terry, although I can talk to him because having seen and shot it, it kicks ass.
    </div></div>

I'm not sure if I could turn down something based off a Sentinel with AW mags in any of the calibers listed so far. I voted 7-08 just to mix it up in the ol' safe.

2700, huh? Thats what I used to get out of their stuff years ago out of my first Rock tube....actually 2750. It would be nice to be there again with BH. It will be hard not to ask them about it, considering I am running low on ammo.

If Pete has sped his up some, I guess I will just order 308 from him when I order the 7wsm load. That will be a one heavy load for the UPS guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone shot a .260 in a 20" or shorter barrel? </div></div>

Yes, I have! Or really close to it. This rifle has a 21" barrel. Extremely accurate and great for 260 shooting.

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_02_BIG-963x469.jpg

more info on this rifle and the gunsmith who built it can be found Here.

Which action would this be on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which action would this be on? </div></div>

I'm guessing the M2009 will be a new Badger Action.

You guys are are getting way ahead of yourselves... I have other things in mind and you're speculating out of your ballpark.

All I wanted to know was caliber, and again, I highly doubt that many who will buy this actually wanted a 308, especially based on the experience of, not only the last SH build, but what we see being built everyday on here, and being used.

I don't know if the Sentinel will take AW magazines, although that is absolutely what I plan on using, so that is a big question mark as well whether or not the Sentinel stock can even be had. That is Terry's baby and it hasn't been released yet and Terry may want to be in a position to offer the Sentinel before anyone else uses this stock, which I totally respect.

And I haven't confirmed GAP is building it, I have other offers which I am considering as well... so just stop. Its a feeler nothing more.

Will I build it, yes if there is enough interest, will it be an A Typical Sniper's Hide Rifle, damn straight, none have let me down yet, but nothing is set in stone, so just relax, especially the ones that have no interest or means in buying it, that is what usually turns a build harder for everyone.

do you foresee a left handed action being an option?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a 1 caliber, this is it take or leave it choice... its not a partial spec<span style="font-weight: bold"> but a full spec</span>.

</div></div>

One rifle built one way per Lowlight. You want longer barrels, different calibers, different stocks, left hand actions etc, then it would propbably be best to build your own rifle.

Like I said in the earlier thread. Im still ready to get in on one.
    I think a 260 with a 18-20" barrel would be an awesome build.

Thanks LL for doing all of this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you foresee a left handed action being an option? </div></div>

I was wonderin' the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you foresee a left handed action being an option? </div></div>

I was wonderin' the same thing. </div></div>

Seems that's been answered pretty clearly.