• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Re: Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

That auction has some neat stuff...that one steel layout table looks like it is sturdy enough that it could double as an anvil....The top looks like a 4x8 foot sheet of .75 or 1 inch steel! You would need a crane and a really heavy duty truck just to move it.

So here's what I created for when we're out in the field and want an easy prop. It's 4'x3'x4" that is a roof top and opens into a 3'x8' barricade. It can fit in the back seat of most cars as well and any trunk where the back seats can fold down. I'll be installing on the non-roofed side some small portals of various sizes and challenge as well but they will be closeable and leave that side still able to be used. The tow strap connects to 2 eye-bolts which gives rigidity and support, but the eye-bolts only need hand tightened and are removable without tools as well to enable it to fold into itself. It's light enough to be 1 person set-up and transport and needs ZERO tools.

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

Broker,
Well done! That is a very clever idea, and well made. With a prop like that, you could do many different exercises or scenarios to shoot. It should be alot of fun.

very nice work Broker, all you need is few port holes in the non shingled side, or not.
congrats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice work Broker, all you need is few port holes in the non shingled side, or not.
congrats. </div></div>

I'll be adding the portals today
grin.gif

It will be available for anyone I know who wants to borrow it. I just ask that you pick it up and bring it back to me over here in the Silverdale/Bremerton area.

I’m new to this post. I’ve been looking for something like this in our area. I own a custom GAP rifle and I regularly shoot RFGC Sunday evenings. I also shoot IDPA and USPSA as well as the Sporting Clays circuit and Skeet. I’m pretty much doing this stuff all the time I have free.

I have a 24”x24” piece of AR500 which I hang from a rather simple rig (five total pieces of 4’ rebar: two on each side and a center cross-stringer. Each side is simply secured with a u-bolt about 6” from the top so they scissor out. The top stringer holds the entire rig together and is also held on with u-bolts so it doesn’t fall over side to size. It works and simple is always good. I had tried it with wood and the bullet fragments tore up the rig too much. It all folds down in about 2 minutes, is extremely portable and since rebar can take a direct hit, it is pretty solid. The downside of such a large (and expensive) piece of AR500 is that it weighs 68lbs, so it is difficult to move. I use my sporting clays push cart (looks like a baby jogging cart) to move it and I can easily go up any logging road to place it down range from my shooting position. Even with all that weight, it still is almost no effort to push and I get a place to hold my pack and rifle too. I always pack out all my brass and trash.

There are places which are about a mile walk in on flat roads which provide 800-1000 yard shots on the west side of the state off of HWY 2 which work well and are about an hour away from Seattle. I’m interested in the next group meet-up to shoot with you guys when my gun is back from the shop. My long range rifle is back at GAP for some mods, but should be back soon (hopefully a week or two). I’m looking forward to finding other spots to go long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seattle-lrs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’m new to this post. I’ve been looking for something like this in our area. I own a custom GAP rifle and I regularly shoot RFGC Sunday evenings. I also shoot IDPA and USPSA as well as the Sporting Clays circuit and Skeet. I’m pretty much doing this stuff all the time I have free.

I have a 24”x24” piece of AR500 which I hang from a rather simple rig (five total pieces of 4’ rebar: two on each side and a center cross-stringer. Each side is simply secured with a u-bolt about 6” from the top so they scissor out. The top stringer holds the entire rig together and is also held on with u-bolts so it doesn’t fall over side to size. It works and simple is always good. I had tried it with wood and the bullet fragments tore up the rig too much. It all folds down in about 2 minutes, is extremely portable and since rebar can take a direct hit, it is pretty solid. The downside of such a large (and expensive) piece of AR500 is that it weighs 68lbs, so it is difficult to move. I use my sporting clays push cart (looks like a baby jogging cart) to move it and I can easily go up any logging road to place it down range from my shooting position. Even with all that weight, it still is almost no effort to push and I get a place to hold my pack and rifle too. I always pack out all my brass and trash.

There are places which are about a mile walk in on flat roads which provide 800-1000 yard shots on the west side of the state off of HWY 2 which work well and are about an hour away from Seattle. I’m interested in the next group meet-up to shoot with you guys when my gun is back from the shop. My long range rifle is back at GAP for some mods, but should be back soon (hopefully a week or two). I’m looking forward to finding other spots to go long.
</div></div>

Welcome! Our next meet up is sounding like the 20th. Even if you don't have your distance rig back from GAP you can always join us and I'm sure someone around here will let you put some rounds down range with our set-ups.

Hey guys, I'm looking forward to meeting some of you and learning a thing or two. If any of you guys are interested, I have a microtech OTF and a handful of other blades that I'm looking to clear out. I'd rather offer them to you guys before hawking them on Craigslist. Let me know. Maybe a k98 also. Got a honeymoon that needs financing. Haha

I got approval for a practical rifle match to be held at upper Nisqually sportsman's club on Saturday 16 June. There is a required one time safety certification (free) that will be held on Friday 15 June starting at 3PM.

The board has some rules that I didn't expect, but nothing too horrible that I can't work around. Over time, they may change and allow more. This first match is so they can see how people act, if we are safe enough, and give them an idea what it is all about. I'll be told what the match fee I am to charge is later on, but I don't think it will be anywhere near $50 and there is no requirement to join the club.

First match is limited to only 10 shooters. I'll post on the other web boards in a day or so...(hint)

Shooters will need to bring 3 pieces of steel for us to shoot on (and of course a method to hang the steel) and they take their steel home after the match. We will need one person with a timer too. Timer or steel will help the group get started.

I also put a posting in the Western Washington group.

Please PM me any questions, and I'll save 'em up for a few days then answer them all in one posting.

I'm just glad to finally get this thing off the ground.

Glad it all worked out.I have some steel(4 plates) and am currently working on the hanging part.where does one sign up?

I have to take my daughter to Victoria on the 20th but I am curious, where are you guys going?

what quality of steel do we need for targets? I leve near some scarp yards, i'm going to see if they have any steel plate.

You can hang the steel from a number of different methods. Bigwheels uses two eight foot 2x4's.

1. Cut both 2x4's in half
2. Drill a 1.125 inch hole about 3 inches from the end of all four 2x4's
3. Put a piece of two or three foot .75 inch pipe through the holes, and use
pipe caps to keep them from going through the holes.
4. hang the plates using old fire hose, pieces of tire tread, bungi chords, heavy chain, or just about any other method you can think of. But it has to be able to withstand a few rounds from stray shots.

Steel should be Armor plate as mild steel will crater badly and may cause ricochet. If you got some really heavy steel that wasn't armor plate, I suppose we could put it at 400-550 yards, but I would really prefer using armor plate for safety.

I have 7 plates now, and may get my 8th plate by the time of the match. I will loan out three plates to the first person who says "I'm in, save 3 plates for me to use."

We will need one shot timer too. Many apps for mobile phones have a shot timer in them....so if someone loads a timer app and will be the timer, that will suffice in place of the 3 plates.

After we have enough income from match fees, we can buy an actual shot timer and other gear, but we are starting out small.

I have some common steel plate that I used beyond 700yd. My 300wm would leave dents about 1/8" deep in it @ that range. It would still leave small dents @ 900yd as well.

So far, we are limiting rifle power levels to 30-06, 8mm (x57), 308, 260, 7.62x54R, similar rounds, and anything smaller. We may end up doing a precision rifle match where the limits would be much higher, but targets would be further out.

The targets from JCSteeltargets are first rate, and I highly recommend at least checking him out. I haven't found any better prices yet, and I have looked. But I like buying local, and supporting someone who is "one of our own" and he makes the targets for a good cause as well.

Hey guys, I just got in my stainless stell tumbling setup from STM in today. If anyone needs some brass cleaned send me a PM and we can work something out!!!

Broker says he is coming to the match on the 16th, and he will be using my extra targets.

Teamsendit has kindly offered to loan me some targets. I should find out in a day or two, but it looks like I might have enough targets to put on the entire match because of Teamsendit...very cool of him.

So if you are thinking about attending the match, and the target issue was stopping you, get in now... still 8 places left.

With TeamSendIt's generous offer to loan me some steel, I will have enough steel for 4 shooters who don't have any steel to bring, but who would still like to shoot. Please let me know as the places for folks without steel may go fast.

Hi guys,

Hope I'm not a stranger stumbling into the room here. I can't believe it's taken me so long to find the member link up here on the 'Hide. I'm not exactly a Puget Sound guy. I'm on Vancouver Island in B.C.

Just wanted to mention, I use old excavator track pads for steel targets. I torch them in half and get two 8"x10"-ish targets out of one pad. Haven't dented one yet even with 185's out of the 300wsm! Plus they really ring if you mount them right.

I'm signed up for the 24hr Sniper Challenge in Utah. Anyone else in the area signed up for that one?

Adam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys,

Hope I'm not a stranger stumbling into the room here. I can't believe it's taken me so long to find the member link up here on the 'Hide. I'm not exactly a Puget Sound guy. I'm on Vancouver Island in B.C.

Just wanted to mention, I use old excavator track pads for steel targets. I torch them in half and get two 8"x10"-ish targets out of one pad. Haven't dented one yet even with 185's out of the 300wsm! Plus they really ring if you mount them right.

I'm signed up for the 24hr Sniper Challenge in Utah. Anyone else in the area signed up for that one?

Adam </div></div>

Welcome Adam! You just reminded me that I need to get mine and my wifes passport applications in, lol... I heard about the excavator track pads before. I might do some searching and see what I come up with...

I'm interested in the 20th assuming my rifle is back by then. I can bring my 24"x24" AR 500 for shooting at the furthest distances.

To comment on an earlier post for an easy and good target stand I find rebar is better than wood in any circumstance. It doesn't fill up with toxic lead fragments, splinter, or have shards of sharp copper sticking out. At the price of about $4 each 4 foot bar, you need 5 pieces and 4 small u-bolts (about a $1 each) for a heck of a rig that is about $25 total. With no fabrication time, no replacements, you should be good forever.

Thanks for the offer Broker for a few shots - a very nice thing. I'll probably just wait for my own rifle to get back before I make the drive out.

My buddy who works at GA Precision is floating the idea of hosting a demo in our area this summer - maybe at RFGC (it's not firm yet at all). If it happens, he would bring lots of GAP rifles and stocks. He needs to guage interest for such trip. I'd say this group would probably be a pretty good start. I went to one of these free shoots when I was at the Shot Show earlier this year in Vegas and WOW, that was sooooo much fun! It was my first time shooting with a silencer and first time shooting so many different rifle styles, stocks, exotic calibers and configurations as well as many different types of fancy optics from all the big boys in the industry. I'll pass on this forum so he can see what is posted and let it develop from there.

have any of you shot in the olympia or capitol forest areas? i'm looking for an open area shooting spot within 45 min of fort lewis. even if it only stretches out to 150 yds or so. i still need to get my damn rig zeroed.

I'm sure if GA Precision did a demo day out here I could round up several dozen people
grin.gif

OT-Medic
Upper Nisqually gun club is easily within 45 minutes of Ft. Lewis. Range goes out to 550 yards there. I am a member there, and need to go out there next week some time and so some shooting. Guests can shoot there if you are interested. It is a decent range, with benches, and covered shooting areas.

Let me know if you want to meet up and shoot there. But, you might want to check their web site. I think you can go out there on your own to shoot as a guest without having a member with you, but a range officer has to be on site.
Call 'em and ask if the range officer will be there when you want to go shoot.

I got contacted by Nisqually about the practical rifle, and for the first match, entry fee will only be $20, regardless of whether you are a member there or not.

Orientation starts at 3pm on Friday before the match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got contacted by Nisqually about the practical rifle, and for the first match, entry fee will only be $20, regardless of whether you are a member there or not.

Orientation starts at 3pm on Friday before the match. </div></div>

I'd be all over this except for the fact of the 4 hours round trip for the meeting on Friday and turning around and doing the same thing Saturday.

Great work though on getting it together Unknown !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got contacted by Nisqually about the practical rifle, and for the first match, entry fee will only be $20, regardless of whether you are a member there or not.

Orientation starts at 3pm on Friday before the match. </div></div>

I'd be all over this except for the fact of the 4 hours round trip for the meeting on Friday and turning around and doing the same thing Saturday.

Great work though on getting it together Unknown ! </div></div>

I'm going, so if you want to carpool with me I can always pick you up in Silverdale and then you don't have to worry about the driving portion. It's a nice club and I'm going to join up while I'm out there...

If the time of the orientation for the Nisqually pratical rifle match is keeping people from attending, I don't mind asking the board for another time to do a second orientation. Which of the following would be better?

1. A weekend time slot maybe 9am-1pm
2. A week day slot 4pm-8pm

I'm trying to gauge interest in whether it is the time of the orientation, or just a general lack of interest. I would also like to know if people would actually the attend the orientation if another slot were offered?

The orientation being on a weekday would be hard for most to get to after work, etc. A weekend would be better. I won't do it mainly because I still don't have my dpms running @ match grade level yet. My 300wm is still gig.

I really screwed up. I have gone through so many emails, I thought that the loan of targets for the match was from TSI, when it was HEREHOLDMYBEERWHILEIMAKETHISSHOT. I'm really sorry for screwing this up, and wanted to publicly acknowledge my screw up, and give proper thanks where it is due. The target loan offer came from HEREHOLDMBEERWHILEIMAKETHISHSOT, I'm the one who screwed up where the emails came from.

My bad, and my most humble apologies.

Practical rifle Match course description posted on the SHWW thread. This course outline is only tentative, and may be changed depending on availability of steel.

If fewer shooters show up, we may run the courses a couple of times each.

Great suggestion made in the SHWW section about moving the orientation to Saturday morning. Anyone interested, please read the suggestion and my response. I'm willing to change if that is the "will of the people".

I'm just trying to get something going for everyone else, and if that means changing the orientation to early, EARLY Saturday morning, I'm fine with that.

Please give me input (about changing the orientation, not about reversing my rectal cranial inversion).

Who all is meeting up this Sunday? I'm going to bring my new roof top prop, and I'm debating on building a tower lol....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who all is meeting up this Sunday? I'm going to bring my new roof top prop, and I'm debating on building a tower lol....</div></div>

How about a whole shack?

I'm going to try to make it. Not 100% sure yet.

Towers don't need permits... a shack might be considered an actual structure lol...

On another note. After 7 yrs, I finally paid off my truck today!!!. No more payments. Yeah!!!!!

Broker,
I know its a ways off but, I will be stationed back out at 1st SFG Fort Lewis next summer and going to bring my "A" game. If you ever need ideas, help hosting matches/classes or someone to help you run down areas to shoot. Count me in. I've been running matches for PMG out in TN for the last few years

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broker,
I know its a ways off but, I will be stationed back out at 1st SFG Fort Lewis next summer and going to bring my "A" game. If you ever need ideas, help hosting matches/classes or someone to help you run down areas to shoot. Count me in. I've been running matches for PMG out in TN for the last few years </div></div>

Awesome! Are you familiar with Lewis-McChord already? Let me know if you need any info prior to your PSC out here.

Sunday sounds good, was a location decided on?

We're probably looking at Acme again. I'm still working on finding us a more local area.

If you guys come up here bring a elr rig if you got one. I did some maintenance on the 1950yd tgt. I haven't had a chance to dial in on it yet this year but its waiting.

ssatt68,
Welcome aboard. I'm starting up some practical rifle shooting at Upper Nisqually sportsman's club (about a half hour from Lewis/Mccord). You are welcome to come out and shoot, or help out if you wish. The range we will be using goes out to 550 yards, so it makes the 5.56 cartridge work pretty hard in the wind at 550 yards on a 10-12 inch target.

Lotsa good fellas to connect with for shooting out here...