• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advanced Marksmanship Rapid fire field target shooting in Norway

Re: Rapid fire field target shooting in Norway

The TV show is pretty dang cool. Taking those bolt action rifles and HK G3's out and doing some pretty amazing shooting. I really became interested in the "middle" finger trigger pull with the hand on the bolt. Seems like it would trend toward less side pressure on the rifle and obviously a very fast bolt manipulation.

I've seen these competition videos before; pretty incredible shooting. I wonder what sort of front sights are on the G3s since the standard front sight pin on a G3 would cover a head sized target at that distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Win308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen these competition videos before; pretty incredible shooting. I wonder what sort of front sights are on the G3s since the standard front sight pin on a G3 would cover a head sized target at that distance.</div></div>
I personally think the HK91/G3 sight (ring of light) is the best iron sight out there.

I have a G3 clone and it is fun to shoot. I would like to know what match loads they are shooting. Even with a decent trigger job, I can only get 4 or 5 inch groups at 100yds with mil surp ammo. I notice that the shooters are using some special monocles, I wonder what those do for shooting at that distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Win308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a G3 clone and it is fun to shoot. I would like to know what match loads they are shooting. Even with a decent trigger job, I can only get 4 or 5 inch groups at 100yds with mil surp ammo. I notice that the shooters are using some special monocles, I wonder what those do for shooting at that distance.</div></div>
Mil surplus is the problem. Any of the decent 150 is weight bullet in a major manufacturer should shrink that group by at least half. You can try to use 168 but never higher as the twist is not fast enough.

1:12 twist

The G3 rifles in these videos are stock military rifles. No modifications allowed. Only legal ammo is Raufoss 7.62NATO 146gr ball military. Accuracy in a good condition Norwegian AG3 and a select lot of military ammo is about 1moa. I had a couple of these AG3s as my servicerifle topped with a S&B 1.5-6x42 tactical scope with BDC from 1 - 600m. We trained for action behind enemy lines and range was scrificed for increased surviveability by (full)auto capability in ambush scenarioes compared to boltguns.

I am going to have to give the middle finger a try on my HK91. I know a lot of times I use it for trigger control on my air tools. Gives me a better feel for the trigger and seems to give a deeper straighter feel.

Someone posted coverage of a shooting competition in Denmark not so long ago, which had civilians shooting alongside the military in a 300 meter steel target dueling match. The civilians were using TR style target rifles, similar to one being used in this youtube video using the same fast bolt manipulation technique, and the military were using semi-auto FNs I think. Interestingly the civilians beat the military. There were banks of spectators in a stadium behind the firing line, who were doing lots of chanting. It's obviously popular TV watching in Denmark. The format of the match was excellent, competitors had 15 seconds (I think) to get as many hits on the steel as possible. It would be nice to see something like this replicated over here. Looked like a lot of fun.

People's negative perception of guns and the anti-gun media make something like that here highly unlikely, although I'd be the first on to watch if it came to the US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Win308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People's negative perception of guns and the anti-gun media make something like that here highly unlikely, although I'd be the first on to watch if it came to the US.</div></div>
You and me both. It seems almost like some trap shooting events. You know bring a picnic basket and pull right up the the range. would like to give it a try

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">240 m at a head sized target Frank</div></div>

8" can be a "head sized target" what is the actual target size, 6", 8", or 4"... at 240 meters, maybe i will do this weekend on a 6" target and see what happens, 2 MOA in 25 seconds, see how many hits I can muster. </div></div>

So @Lowlight after 2 years, 6 months, 7 days from your statement you have some results? I didn't find any , please can you post some results or a video (if any) with your results?
Thank you.

That's some super fast bolt gunning!

Hitting the target is no problem, but with iron sights, at that speed? That's a really great bolt gunner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone posted coverage of a shooting competition in Denmark not so long ago, which had civilians shooting alongside the military in a 300 meter steel target dueling match. The civilians were using TR style target rifles, similar to one being used in this youtube video using the same fast bolt manipulation technique, and the military were using semi-auto FNs I think. Interestingly the civilians beat the military. </div></div>

I don't see why people often seem amazed that military are not the best shooters out there. Same as police. Just because they have to qualify occasionally with a weapon does not put them anywhere near the level of proficiency as a competitive shooter who lives and breaths shooting as much as they can. Pulling the trigger is a small fraction of the duties to be performed as Mil/LE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone posted coverage of a shooting competition in Denmark not so long ago, which had civilians shooting alongside the military in a 300 meter steel target dueling match. The civilians were using TR style target rifles, similar to one being used in this youtube video using the same fast bolt manipulation technique, and the military were using semi-auto FNs I think. Interestingly the civilians beat the military. </div></div>

I don't see why people often seem amazed that military are not the best shooters out there. Same as police. Just because they have to qualify occasionally with a weapon does not put them anywhere near the level of proficiency as a competitive shooter who lives and breaths shooting as much as they can. Pulling the trigger is a small fraction of the duties to be performed as Mil/LE. </div></div>

True. The majority of the military work is on mission/duty work not actually pulling the trigger.

But then if you turn the tables and put the civilian into a military mission/shooting senario, they look like hell.

The Military mission is taking cover, coordinating with command, applying that tourniquet, suppressing fire, maneuvering the element, coordinating with Air, calling the medivac, and on and on and on.

Still, to beat the military gas operated guns with bolt guns is really taking it to that military group.

For me is more a thing about marksmanship and bolt handling technique.
I was and I'm curious about performance of @Lowlight or anybody else in this using a "regular" bolt gun .

I'm still a rookie and my experience in this context my be irrelevant but i found is not so easy to get your middle finger in right position, most often my finger get stuck on trigger guard and i assume this is 60% because of the shape of the stock and 40% because my lack of training in this technique.

In this pictures you may notice the trigger position and the trigger guard :

24122009842.jpg

24122009843k.jpg

In this video you may notice the 2 stages of moving the finger , first touch the stock , second get in place on trigger .

Bolt technique, finger possition

Trigger and trigger guard on rifle i used to try this technique:
cz550-22-250-9.jpg

The majority of US shooters would be screwed right off the bat because if it doesn't have a scope on the rifle.....they're shit outa luck!!

The hk sights are not bad but in low light the target disappears. You can cut the top out and put a fine pin sight on the front and that makes it much better