• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Received my AIAT fixed 24" Pail Brown but need advise

thorstenson1030

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2014
Kill Devil Hills, NC
First a shout out to Jason at Euro Optics...Thanks
First I noticed that you have to count 10 rounds for the mag. It seemed like it wanted 12.
I also noticed that it took a little effort to go from saftey to fire position, this could be a good thing.

Going to order optics this weekend and going to shoot F-TR to max 1000yds and looking at Burris XTR ii 7-40x50 and Sightron Slll 10-50x60. My budget is only $1100 maximum.
Any thoughts.
Being a 20moa rail do I need a 18 moa mount to reach 1000yds?
Thank for all the help

20 MOA is enough for a 308 to reach 1000 (depending on the internal adjustment of the scope), my vote between those two scopes is for the Sightron

Edit: congrats on the new rifle too I love my AI

Save the coin and go with a NF F1 or better... sorry, that rifle deserves better glass.

You'll love that rifle :)

I'm with the above posters.

Save up for the Nightforce competition models if this going to be a bench rifle. :D

Last edited:
Save a couple bucks and buy a gently used optic from a trusted member here - for less than a new one.

the safeties on AI's tend to need a positive push forward. i agree it's a good thing... 'grats on the rifle!

disagree with others about the optics. get one that has a reticle more friendly for FTR usage if thats your main purpose. Can throw one of those on and save up for something more tactical later on.

Over my budget is not an option...sorry
I understand your opinion I do but not at this time. My wife helped me save for a long time and after talking to allot of people made the decision on the AT instead of saving $ and going with something else so I will choose a little less in glass.
I still had to get a tripod, case,ammo, dewey rod, etc.... I don't think Sightron slll or Burris XTR ii is a bad compromise and allot of people are very happy with theirs.
having said that I still want something that will track and not be low end budget quality. If I had my choice a S&B would be on top and in a couple years will be.
I'm not saying any of your coments are wrong and thanks for posting.

I agree that an AI deserves a quality scope (mine wears a S&B) but you also need to pair that with what your intended use it.

The OP mentioned F-Class the sightron has pretty good glass can be had with a very precise SFP reticle along with very precise 1/8th MOA adjustments.

A good friend/hunting buddy of mine competed in the F-Class world championship over in the US as part of the 8 Man Australian team (the won gold by the way) and he has the money to buy any scope he wants he is also a dealer so has more rifles than I can count he has everything from S&B, Nightforce, Kahles, Swarovski etc etc and he used a Sightron on one of his competition F-class rifles that they won the championship with so it's more than capable of the task you are looking to use it for and I personally would choose it over the burris