• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading 50 BMG

Re: Reloading 50 BMG

what are you reloading for?
match or plinking
M2, barret, TAC, etc., etc.
how many rounds a year do you think youll be reloading?

this will answer your question better

reloading for better accuracy and want to shoot about 100rds a month . plinking stuff I can get right now for 2.70 a rd but the match grade stuff is well over $5

I have the RCBS ammomaster. The Hornady press is the same as the RCBS with the addition of there LNL style bushing for the 7/8x14 threaded parts. I hear the Hornady dies are slightly better than the RCBS, but I'm not dropping another $200+ to do a side by side.

A lot of people like the LEE, but I don't like that they went with a non industry standard thread so their dies and press are pretty much proprietary to LEE.

If you have more money than you know what to do with, Tenex and Dillon both make a progressive press. There are also a few big heavy duty (and expensive) single stages out there.

I have the Lee and it works fine.Their "non standard" threads are only for the .50 die set,they give you an adapter that allows most any other caliber die set to work.Hard to beat for the money...

I also have the LEE, my ONLY complaint is that it is sometimes difficult to get the shell casing completely into the sizing die, with some brands of brass i will have another 3/16" -1/4" before the die bottoms out,(without a ton of leverage), maybe it is something i am doing wrong (not sure). lake city brass seems to work fine. Maybe someone more experienced can shed some light on this... other than that, the Lee is a good quality press for the money.

I've got an RCBS Ammomaster setup and love it. Smooth, strong, and can resize just about the worst pulled APIs. To do that, however, I did get a Lee resizing tool and love it.

Haven't tried anything else like a Lee or Dillon so I can't compare them. I can just say I'm happy with mine.

Most of my fifty reloading gets done on my Lee press. The RCBS dies sized less than the Lee dies do. This was a no-go for my bolt gun. The only things against my Lee is that it doesn't like to deal with major force, like resizing some M2 brass. I got a Walnut Hill press for that.

You might try a different lube for case resizing.....it does matter with that big case.I have tried many, and so far a light coating ( wipe it on with a paper towel) of Mobil 1 synthetic oil I find gives THE lowest lever force.You will be amazed at the difference....

The problem with using a synthetic MOTOR oil is getting it off the cases. I am not putting that in my tumbler. I have never had a problem with Imperial sizing wax, and it comes off without making a mess.