• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington vs Savage

Gee LeDouche

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
So.. I think I've narrowed my search for a new 308 rifle down to either a Savage 10FP or a Remington either SPS Tactical or "Police" model. I think the Police model is realistically out of my price range so for sake of argument lets just say the 10FP vs the SPS Tac. I considered making a custom rifle with either of these platforms but decided against it just for cost purposes, so I am going to keep them stock for the most part. so, that being said, which gun do you believe performs better or in your opinion is a better value for the money straight out of the box? I may end up doing a little work to whichever rifle I pick up like bedding the stock and a trigger job, but other than that I just want a regular "range" grade rifle. any suggestions? thanks

Gee

PS- FML apparently I effed up the poll.. my bad.

Re: Remington vs Savage

As far as accuracy they are the same. If you plan on doing work to it latter there are more smiths that work on a Remington than a Savage but there are plenty for that too if you need it done. In years past I would have not even looked at a Savage but now I put them in the same league as a Remington with a better price point to buy more ammunition to practice with.

I have a friend that shoots a FP and I was shooting a Police Special and there was no difference in groups out to 600 yards (furthest we were shooting). The Savages will shoot.

I'd get the Savage. I have several Remingtons and a Savage, I've worked with loading for several Savages that friends own and they're far easier to work out a bughole load than any of my Remingtons (at least until I reworked the action)

The aftermarket goodies industry is just starting to gain steam for the Savage actions, but that doesn't mean you can't have a well accessorized tactical rifle, it just means that every Tom, Dick and Harry gunshop might not take on the work. This isn't a bad thing, the guys that do Savages on this site will do them right and you'll have a killer rifle. You see a lot of threads about Remmy gun hacks that screwed up someone's rifle and the customer is on here looking for help and answers to fix the screw-job.

BTW, your survey only has the Remington in it, no choice for a Savage. Maybe I have a browser issue, but I can't click on anything but the Rem.

Tom Sarver made a comment to me last weekend, he said "There isn't a Savage out there that won't shoot, but there also isn't a Savage out there that won't break"

In reference to the screw together multipiece bolt body/handle, in terms of out of the box precision and capability the Savage action is ahead of the Remington.

He's pretty demanding of his equipment and I don't doubt you can break a Savage bolt handle, but then again, if you're not using this on a 2 way range and you need a good starting rifle I'd suggest the savage.

savage. ive got a 10fcp thats been upgraded a little. never shot a remy, cant say anything about them first hand. love my savage. changed the barrel myself. very easy. plus look at the success of savage's shooting teams.

but you will find savage owners will say savage, remy owners will say remy. it comes to your choice. try to get your hands on them both. if you can find the 10fcp in a mcmillan A5 or HS stock, that might be something to look at as well

Check out the Savage 10 Precision carbine:

savage_10_precision_carbine___308_winchester_1040.jpg

I was in your boat, I wanted a rifle that could perform out of the box and didn't plan on upgrading it much due to a budget. I was originally going to go with the SPS tactical as well until I looked into the precision carbine.

It just has better features out of the box... A detachable magazine, full free floated barrel, a decent stock, and the accu trigger is just great.

I am partial to Remingtons, but We have a shooter at the Odessa matches that is using a Factory stock Savage Predator hunter in .223 1-9 twist with 68 horn. bullets that is shooting in the 190's. The rifle doesn't even have the accu-stock on it. He is shooting right with GOOD shooters that have 4 times the $ in their sticks.

Savage would get my vote. I'm not sure about the SPS tactical as I've not used it. However, my experience with other recent Remingtons is that the quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore. From what I've read about the 700's they don't seem to be any different. I'm not a fan of stuff that needs work done to it right out of the box to function properly and it seems like from the experience I've had as well as the experience a couple of friends that recently purchased Remington rifles have had, that this isn't always the case with Remington. It's a shame because 30-40 years ago Remington made an awesome gun that anyone would be proud to own. They seem to still be living on that name and no longer offering the same level of quality.

ive had both .. i now own 2 savages

i broke the bolt on one of them...a little hot in reloading

its fixed now and shooting great...

i like both of the platforms but they are different

for a range gun...why not get a 223 like a max-1 way cheaper to shoot at paper and good practice for larger caliber

I have owned both and still do. Only Rem 700 still in the safe is my 7mm Rem Mag Ti Alaskan. I have bought 3 Savages in the past couple months including the 17HMR tactical trainer. I love what I am seeing out of Savage and their custom shot will augment a good rifle for you w/o much additional cost so thats a big plus and thumbs up for Savage.

Out of the box, I would go with the Savage. I have had the pleasure of working up loads for 3 different ones and they are all shooters. I own Remingtons also, but they generally take a little bit of work to make shooters.

how is it some duochebag is able to trot in here and start stiring snot about rifles and not complete a fucking profile......and all the rest of the thumbsuckers that say they can slap a trigger chime in with their worthless dribble......

why

oh some one is going to get bitch slapped

Find a dealer who has both in stock. Lay them on the counter side by side. Get a good comfortable chair and sit down and handle each rifle. Get a good feel for the rifles. And buy the one that feels the best to you. It is hit or miss as to which one will be the most accurate out of the box. Savage has come up in the world, no doubt. But they had a long way to climb. People automatically expect the Remington to be best.

For a while the Savage was a better buy because of the price. But if you look closely you will see that Savage has caught up on the pricing side of things. They are not the cheap priced rifle they were just a few years ago. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new AAC SPS Tactical. It has a pre-threaded 1:10 twist 20 inch barrel. I was involved in its creation, but I think I am being objective and it is his best choice. I have a Savage 10FP in my collection so I have experience with both.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx</div></div>

Fuck me when did this come out? I just picked up a SPS tactical a few weeks ago, and now I'm going to be sendnig it out to get threaded. My SPS is a tact driver by the way.

having owned both, i would say stock, the savage for the most part will most likely be better.

i love my 700. i bought it as a stock .22-250 sps-v, and also have a completely bone stock savage 10 same caliber, pre-accutrigger. but the savage definitely outshoots the 700. it doesnt "feel" as nice though.

either way, you cant go wrong.

laugh.gif

Didn't you know that nowdays if you post online often enough, quickly enough, and learn who to parrot, that you can actually pass for someone that has been somewhere and done something?

Can't go wrong either way. If you gave me one or the other I think I could get the job done. More parts for remmy, but savage still has plenty parts out there for it.

Hey Axe, if you gotta have a cgi of a piece ass in motion there's gotta be one without saddlebags out there online, c'mon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Axe, if you gotta have a cgi of a piece ass in motion there's gotta be one without saddlebags out there online, c'mon! </div></div>
lmao, that made me laugh. hard

Some one please direct me to the entrance exam to qualify to be able to read or post in Snipers Hide. I missed it when I joined in 2005. Who grades it? So how shall we proceed, make it a pay for site. You aren't allowed to read or post here unless you have ponied up with say 500.00 per year? Would that be ok with everyone? Should it be a 1000.00 per year before you are given a password or credentials to allow you to post and read? Maybe you have to input your AI, GAP, DTA etc serial number to prove you belong? Maybe you have to be the owner of a Promethius to belong. Yeah thats it everyone with a Chargemaster please get off Snipers Hide...you don't really belong here and if you have a balance scale or Lee equipment....puhleeze...you're joking with us right?

This is my favorite website, I would like to enjoy it with out the elitist attitudes being shown. Frankly I am not sure which I dislike more an elitist or a mall ninja or maybe there is no difference in the real world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some one please direct me to the entrance exam to qualify to be able to read or post in Snipers Hide. I missed it when I joined in 2005. Who grades it? So how shall we proceed, make it a pay for site. You aren't allowed to read or post here unless you have ponied up with say 500.00 per year? Would that be ok with everyone? Should it be a 1000.00 per year before you are given a password or credentials to allow you to post and read? Maybe you have to input your AI, GAP, DTA etc serial number to prove you belong? Maybe you have to be the owner of a Promethius to belong. Yeah thats it everyone with a Chargemaster please get off Snipers Hide...you don't really belong here and if you have a balance scale or Lee equipment....puhleeze...you're joking with us right?

This is my favorite website, I would like to enjoy it with out the elitist attitudes being shown. Frankly I am not sure which I dislike more an elitist or a mall ninja or maybe there is no difference in the real world. </div></div>HUH?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread makes me love my Winchester. </div></div> Amen brother.

Thank you for all your posts guys. I think I am leaning towards the Savage right now. I already have an SPS Tactical in 223 and its a great little rifle but the Savage 10 has kind of caught my interest. The things I like about the savage is the barrel length and diameter, the oversized bolt, the adjustable trigger, the out of the box accuracy and the price. The things I like about the Remmy is the hogue stock, the 20 inch bull barrel, the smooth action, the legendary reliability and accuracy, the avaliable upgrades, and of course the price. so that is why I'm kind of at a stalemate. I appreciate all your insight and suggestions. I also appreciate the hospitality of most of the members of this site. I am not exactly a newbie to shooting, this is just the only gun website that my new works internet browser doesnt block. I have been a contributing member on AR15.com for 4 years or better. but thank you again for the info.

Gee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread makes me love my Winchester. </div></div> Amen brother. </div></div>

Ive come across a couple Model 70's in 22-250 that have caught my eye and are reasonably priced. how are those 70's??

Gee

I admire the 10 Precision Carbine, and might also admire the 10FCP-K if I thought a muzzle brake was appropriate on a .308.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some one please direct me to the entrance exam to qualify to be able to read or post in Snipers Hide. I missed it when I joined in 2005. Who grades it? So how shall we proceed, make it a pay for site. You aren't allowed to read or post here unless you have ponied up with say 500.00 per year? Would that be ok with everyone? Should it be a 1000.00 per year before you are given a password or credentials to allow you to post and read? Maybe you have to input your AI, GAP, DTA etc serial number to prove you belong? Maybe you have to be the owner of a Promethius to belong. Yeah thats it everyone with a Chargemaster please get off Snipers Hide...you don't really belong here and if you have a balance scale or Lee equipment....puhleeze...you're joking with us right?

This is my favorite website, I would like to enjoy it with out the elitist attitudes being shown. Frankly I am not sure which I dislike more an elitist or a mall ninja or maybe there is no difference in the real world.</div></div>

Tis Better to be Thought a Fool than to Speakup and Remove all Doubt!

You just spoke up and removed all doubt for me. You could have saved a lot of typing and just said "I got a lot more money to spend on this hobby than a lot of you guys do, and also my shit doesn't stink." Just for the record this is my favorite site also. And everyones financial situations are different on here. My 308 is going to take me over a year to complete how I want it, and I can't afford high end reloading equip right now. Does that make the people that can better or more deserving to be a "member" and guys like me not have the opportunity to get advice and training from the site?? Its about the hobby, love of shooting, and being outdoors for me. And if they do ever change this to a pay only site, I'm gonna do it just to piss you off!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Axe, if you gotta have a cgi of a piece ass in motion there's gotta be one without saddlebags out there online, c'mon! </div></div>

even the skinny girls pooch out a little when they walk. plus its the low angle. but i think the MODS have taken care of that for everybody. besides, you know you would tap that either way, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how is it some duochebag is able to trot in here and start stiring snot about rifles and not complete a fucking profile......and all the rest of the thumbsuckers that say they can slap a trigger chime in with their worthless dribble......

why

oh some one is going to get bitch slapped </div></div>
settle down old timer.....dont let a little sand in the vagina get you all riled up...
grin.gif

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some one please direct me to the entrance exam to qualify to be able to read or post in Snipers Hide. I missed it when I joined in 2005. Who grades it? So how shall we proceed, make it a pay for site. You aren't allowed to read or post here unless you have ponied up with say 500.00 per year? Would that be ok with everyone? Should it be a 1000.00 per year before you are given a password or credentials to allow you to post and read? Maybe you have to input your AI, GAP, DTA etc serial number to prove you belong? Maybe you have to be the owner of a Promethius to belong. Yeah thats it everyone with a Chargemaster please get off Snipers Hide...you don't really belong here and if you have a balance scale or Lee equipment....puhleeze...you're joking with us right?

This is my favorite website, I would like to enjoy it with out the elitist attitudes being shown. Frankly I am not sure which I dislike more an elitist or a mall ninja or maybe there is no difference in the real world.</div></div>

You just spoke up and removed all doubt for me. You could have saved a lot of typing and just said "I got a lot more money to spend on this hobby than a lot of you guys do, and also my shit doesn't stink." Just for the record this is my favorite site also. And everyones financial situations are different on here. My 308 is going to take me over a year to complete how I want it, and I can't afford high end reloading equip right now. Does that make the people that can better or more deserving to be a "member" and guys like me not have the opportunity to get advice and training from the site?? Its about the hobby, love of shooting, and being outdoors for me. And if they do ever change this to a pay only site, I'm gonna do it just to piss you off! </div></div>I agree. Why can't you just enjoy the site instead of bitching about less experience or money. Sorry we are not all as great as he is. Maybe he can post some videos for us to follow in his greatness

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread makes me love my Winchester. </div></div> Amen brother. </div></div>

I'm glad I'm not the only fan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some one please direct me to the entrance exam to qualify to be able to read or post in Snipers Hide. I missed it when I joined in 2005. Who grades it? So how shall we proceed, make it a pay for site. You aren't allowed to read or post here unless you have ponied up with say 500.00 per year? Would that be ok with everyone? Should it be a 1000.00 per year before you are given a password or credentials to allow you to post and read? Maybe you have to input your AI, GAP, DTA etc serial number to prove you belong? Maybe you have to be the owner of a Promethius to belong. Yeah thats it everyone with a Chargemaster please get off Snipers Hide...you don't really belong here and if you have a balance scale or Lee equipment....puhleeze...you're joking with us right?

You just spoke up and removed all doubt for me. You could have saved a lot of typing and just said "I got a lot more money to spend on this hobby than a lot of you guys do, and also my shit doesn't stink." Just for the record this is my favorite site also. And everyones financial situations are different on here. My 308 is going to take me over a year to complete how I want it, and I can't afford high end reloading equip right now. Does that make the people that can better or more deserving to be a "member" and guys like me not have the opportunity to get advice and training from the site?? Its about the hobby, love of shooting, and being outdoors for me. And if they do ever change this to a pay only site, I'm gonna do it just to piss you off! </div></div>

I read his post to be directed at the obnoxious post by boltripper. Maybe I misunderstood, but that is what I think he was saying.

un fuckin B leavable ....someone told a bunch of weenies from barf15dotcom about this place

go away!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">un fuckin B leavable ....someone told a bunch of weenies from barf15dotcom about this place

go away! </div></div>
want me to hold your hand?

grin.gif

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new AAC SPS Tactical. It has a pre-threaded 1:10 twist 20 inch barrel. I was involved in its creation, but I think I am being objective and it is his best choice. I have a Savage 10FP in my collection so I have experience with both.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx</div></div>

Fuck me when did this come out? I just picked up a SPS tactical a few weeks ago, and now I'm going to be sendnig it out to get threaded. My SPS is a tact driver by the way. </div></div>Not avail yet, at least according to my dealer. I was going to pay the extra $20 for it after I found it on the Remington site, it was a no brainer for me when I ordered my SPS tac a week and a half ago, but he couldn't get a hold of one, anywhere.

Truthfully, I doubt you will really notice a difference between the two. Snag which ever one is a good deal and put some rounds down range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage or remington?
Who gives a flying f..k,as long as you can shoot it,it doesnt matter......... </div></div>

Yes it does, no it don't, Yes it does, no it don't, Yes it does, no it don't, Yes it does, no it don't. Enjoying my Savage 10FP, don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks or does. Hell it ain't like anyone here is going to start voting with a rifle.

I outshot a guy with a remington last weekend with my Savage. The rifle didn't shoot itself though. You've gotta do your part. I could have outshot him with his own rifle (he was that bad).

Remington has a lot of aftermarket support. Upgrading the stock and such is little easier.

Savages are coming up in the world because they're changing their rifles to what the customer is wanting. Because of these changes, upgrading it will be a little more difficult due to suppliers having to invest in new designs for the new rifles. Just because it's a little more difficult doesn't mean it's impossible.

Buy one. Shoot it often. Get good with it.

I spent about a hundred bucks more on my savage than a remington 700 sps. BUT mine came with a detachable mag, free floated stock, better trigger (IMO) and aluminum bedding block in a better stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Trucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some one please direct me to the entrance exam to qualify to be able to read or post in Snipers Hide. I missed it when I joined in 2005. Who grades it? So how shall we proceed, make it a pay for site. You aren't allowed to read or post here unless you have ponied up with say 500.00 per year? Would that be ok with everyone? Should it be a 1000.00 per year before you are given a password or credentials to allow you to post and read? Maybe you have to input your AI, GAP, DTA etc serial number to prove you belong? Maybe you have to be the owner of a Promethius to belong. Yeah thats it everyone with a Chargemaster please get off Snipers Hide...you don't really belong here and if you have a balance scale or Lee equipment....puhleeze...you're joking with us right?

You just spoke up and removed all doubt for me. You could have saved a lot of typing and just said "I got a lot more money to spend on this hobby than a lot of you guys do, and also my shit doesn't stink." Just for the record this is my favorite site also. And everyones financial situations are different on here. My 308 is going to take me over a year to complete how I want it, and I can't afford high end reloading equip right now. Does that make the people that can better or more deserving to be a "member" and guys like me not have the opportunity to get advice and training from the site?? Its about the hobby, love of shooting, and being outdoors for me. And if they do ever change this to a pay only site, I'm gonna do it just to piss you off! </div></div>

I read his post to be directed at the obnoxious post by boltripper. Maybe I misunderstood, but that is what I think he was saying.</div></div>

Super Trucker is right it was directed at like boltstripper.
Go with the Savage, I own several of each and a GAP. GAPs are nice but i have 2 savages that are just as accurate. They are not stock but I did the work myself. Which is a plus for the Savage you can do most of the work yourself.

My 0.02 cents

If you plan on changing the stock eventually, rebarreling to a match barrel, change the trigger etc... then the remington has lots of good options.

If you fancy the AI chasis, then the remington is the way to go

If you want to leave it stock, then the savage, to me, looks like a better option for you

AI will have a savage chassis out this year. shillen, mcgowan and a guy said walther have drop in savage barrels. do it yourself and eliminate your smith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">AI will have a savage chassis out this year.</span> shillen, mcgowan and a guy said walther have drop in savage barrels. do it yourself and eliminate your smith. </div></div>

OH HELL YEAH!!!