• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Reticle pictures - S&B H2CMR and Hensoldt NH1

lifebreath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
I was able to get some good pictures this weekend through two scopes showing the reticles. I am posting with the thought this might help someone in a buying decision or just to satiate someone's curiosity.

Distance was a little more than 100 yards to the Blue Heron. I would disregard differences in color, contrast, etc. The photos don't capture it accurately enough to compare. The purpose is to show the reticles with an interesting live animal in the cross hairs.

S&B H2CMR @ 16X

SB%203-20%20H2CMR.jpg

Hensoldt NH1 @ 16X

Hensoldt%204-16%20NH1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rydah
Wow the detail and color is really good on that Hensoldt... Glad you put that up been wondering about these S and B compared to the hendsolt ... I know which one I would pick

To my eyes the color is better on the Hensoldt and the resolution is pretty similar even though the S&B is sharper.

I'd bet that the photographs do a better job of capturing the reticle than the image, though. I wouldn't make a choice between scopes based on photographs shot through them.

Joe

To my eyes the color is better on the Hensoldt and the resolution is pretty similar even though the S&B is sharper.

I'd bet that the photographs do a better job of capturing the reticle than the image, though. I wouldn't make a choice between scopes based on photographs shot through them.

Joe

This. The glass in this s&b is better than the Henny but not by much, and it resolves better. The photos don't capture the color, contrast, etc. accurately to compare. The purpose was to show the reticles with an interesting live animal in the cross hairs.

Last edited:
S&B appears to be better by quite a bit judging by the pics, look at the bark and the needles. The Hensoldt resolution is lacking between the 2.

Please, guys ... don't judge the quality of the glass based on my pictures! That wasn't the point, and the difference you see is mostly the result of focusing issues of the camera through the scope.

Those were taken with my Leica camera, and the following were taken with my iPhone. You can see the variation from picture to picture. The hensoldt glass is better than most high-end scopes.

Iphone pics:

Image.jpg

Image%201.jpg

Image%202.jpg

Reactions: rydah
Lifebreath, excellent pictures of both reticles, having spent some time behind both S&B and Hensoldt, I have to say don't even try to judge the glass quality of these scopes from online pictures. In my case, my 4-16x56 NH1 was the keeper, Nathans reticle works for me, the scope went on a comp rifle and has served me well. With regards to warranty issues, if it ever breaks, well hopefully I can get it resolved in a timely manner, although there has been some major changes at Hensoldt with Cassidian taking over.

Please, guys ... don't judge the quality of the glass based on my pictures! That wasn't the point, and the difference you see is mostly the result of focusing issues of the camera through the scope.

Those were taken with my Leica camera, and the following were taken with my iPhone. You can see the variation from picture to picture. The hensoldt glass is better than most high-end scopes.

Iphone pics:

Image.jpg

Image%201.jpg

Image%202.jpg

I retract my statement based on the first picture above, glass seems every bit as clear and detailed as the first S&B photo.

ok. can we maybe explain as to why the H2CMR is a popular scope? I'm just confused by it really. What do you need open mil dots AND hash marks for? I'm a few months away from going to look at a whole bunch of high end scopes and taking a pair home. Please enlighten me. Please leave out the "well it's to cover multiple shooter preferences" explanation.

ok. can we maybe explain as to why the H2CMR is a popular scope? I'm just confused by it really. What do you need open mil dots AND hash marks for? I'm a few months away from going to look at a whole bunch of high end scopes and taking a pair home. Please enlighten me. Please leave out the "well it's to cover multiple shooter preferences" explanation.

It's a very simple to use reticle, that's why. Most people dial elevation and hold windage, so the .2mil holds work really slick. It's not overly cluttered, yet still has more than enough breakdown to mil targets.

so you are saying adding mil dots to a hash mark reticle or vice versa is simpler to use than just one or the other? I get the dial and hold and the .2 mil holds just not the hybrid-ness on the crosshairs.

The H2CMR allows you to break the object in the center of the circle for a resolution of .05 mils. This is one of the best reticle I have used (and I have used a lot!). Essentially you can mil targets down to .05 mils with ease. Also the wind holds allow a whole other level of accuracy when shooting small targets at great distances. Also the .1 line break down on the reticle is fantastic. I have ranged license plates to 650 yards and continually am accurate to within 2-5 yards when I do my part.

Ditto others on dialing elevation and holding wind with the .2 mil wind holds. Also, I find the circles give an easier time of not getting lost in the reticle. The more I use it, the more I like it.

I am a scope newbie, my last being a Tasco that came on my 10-22 back in 1982 or so when I was 14. Last year I bought an S&B with H2CMR. I decided on the H2CMR because I could look at it and immediatly understand how it related to the dials. I found the open bubbles are actually a little easier to pick up on when not at max magnification.

The fact I looked at it and quickly understood it was what sold me on H2CMR, that and its uncluttered simplicity. My other consideration was the MSR. That scope reticle is pretty simple also but I have to move around the image to get my measurements. Wth less movement I can get the same info right from the crosshair. I never considered the Christmas tree reticles. Im a pretty static shooter most often aiming at paper or steel so the complexity was not needed.

There is the novice answer to your question.

Last edited: