• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

rifle storage

awz1287

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2011
North Carolina
hey guys,
I was looking at getting a pelican 1750 case to store my new rifle and accessories. I was just thinking about the foam; I know your not supposed to keep guns stored in foam lined cases, my other guns I just keep in "bore Store" gun sleeves, but I'm just worried about this rifle because of the scope, I want some protection.

anyone have any ideas of how to store it in a hard case without rusting?
is just placing it in a bore store in the foam going to protect it? or I was thinking of maybe taking the foam out all together, but then the stuff would still bang around inside, so I would have to put something else in there?
or maybe just taking the center piece out and maybe lining the top and bottom foam with something to prevent rust.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Anthony.

Re: rifle storage

Closed cell foam. There are different types of foam and closed cell does not retain moisture thus negating rusting. Also if you use your rifle on a regular basis then it will not be in the case long enough to matter.

ok so I should get the case with no foam, and put my own in. like get a few bigger sheets and cut it to fit.
I'm looking up foam what type of closed cell should I get?
--Polyethylene
--Minicel
--Polystyrene
--Neoprene
also what Density, it goes by lbs. and thickness?

who has the best prices on the case and foam? the places I got from goole for foam are http://www.closedcellfoams.com and http://www.foambymail.com/closed-cell-foams.html
not sure how good they are?

I'd just go with the foam that comes with the case.
I'm in the photographic industry, which is one of the prime users pf Pelican equipment.
As it so happens, the Canadian plant is about 1/2 mile from where I work. Last summer I had a tour of their facilities and asked their techs about the moisture/rust issue. He assured me the foam they use in their cases does not outgas or harm either camera gear or weapons.
Pelican is a contracted supplier for both the U.S. and Canadian military's (plus who knows who else) and he says they have had no issues from weapons stored in their cases.
As well I have countless clients (I supply photo equipment to, amongst others two major newspapers and assorted gov't institutions) who have used Pelican cases for years to store very expensive equipment in and I have never had a complaint. I've been selling Pelican products for about 16 years...so I'd say that's a pretty good indication that their tech was telling the truth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CZbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd just go with the foam that comes with the case.
I'm in the photographic industry, which is one of the prime users pf Pelican equipment.
As it so happens, the Canadian plant is about 1/2 mile from where I work. Last summer I had a tour of their facilities and asked their techs about the moisture/rust issue. He assured me the foam they use in their cases does not outgas or harm either camera gear or weapons.
Pelican is a contracted supplier for both the U.S. and Canadian military's (plus who knows who else) and he says they have had no issues from weapons stored in their cases.
As well I have countless clients (I supply photo equipment to, amongst others two major newspapers and assorted gov't institutions) who have used Pelican cases for years to store very expensive equipment in and I have never had a complaint. I've been selling Pelican products for about 16 years...so I'd say that's a pretty good indication that their tech was telling the truth. </div></div>

Wow!!! That's the kind of info sharing that is great about the SH community! First hand knowledge is always best. Thanks much!

I've got both Storm and Pelican cases and have been using them for gear storage without much thought about corrosion issues, never had any problems. Another idea is to throw some dessicant packs in your cases if you have any concerns.

Never have heard of not being able to keep your gun in a foam case. Maybe its because the guns are always lightly oiled...just enough to cling to the steel and keep from oxidizing.