• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes S&B PMII 3-20x50 vs March 2.5-25x42

JayCarver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I had a lot of great insight from the "hide" from my last thread when I was trying to decide between the ATACR and 5-25PMII for my 338, I'm in the same boat again, stuck trying to decide between two scopes.

This time I'm looking for a scope for my newly acquired 260. It's a Surgeon 591 with a Rem varmint contour 20" barrel (might go longer when its rebarreled), I have a Manner's MCS-TA stock for it.

On my other precision rifles I have a S&B 12-50, S&B 5-25, NF ATACR and a Vortex PST. I prefer the S&B's all around, really like the turrets and the P4F reticle.

I want to set up this rifle as something I can hunt with and pack around. Also theres a few precision rifle matches starting to pop up in my area so I'm keeping that in mind as well. I have a few 15-20lb rifles so this time I'm trying to keep it a little lighter. If weight and size wasn't a issue I would just get another 5-25 PMII.

I have narrowed if down to the March 2.5-25-42 (This was originally my first choice) and the S&B PMII 3-20x50 (I'm currently leaning toward the PMII)

The March is 19oz compared 30oz for the S&B. However the March has a smaller main tube and objective so my main concern is what is being sacrificed.

Basically to sum it up, I'm not trying to build a feather weight hunting rifle. I pack quite a bit with me when I hunt so the extra 10oz isn't a big deal I'm just wondering if the March can do everything the S&B cab do but in a smaller package.

Does anyone have experience with both these scopes? I would love to hear some first hand insight.

Thanks

And yes I know one of these scopes is FFP and the other is SFP and I have both and I'm ok with either.

March also makes a 3-24x42 FFP which is dimensionally almost identical to the 2.5-25x42. As to your question, the Schmidt 3-20 will not seem significantly smaller than your 5-25 once mounted on the rifle. The March is significantly smaller. However, it has a greater mag range coupled with a smaller objective which will yield a tiny exit pupil in the upper mag ranges. This will express itself in a more critical eye box and potentially darker image. The March has excellent glass. As you are already aware so does the Schmidt. However, in lower light conditions, the Schmidt wins due to larger exit pupil. If one is not concerned with low light capability and needs to shave weight as much as possible, the little March would be ideal.

Yes I guess the March 3-24x42 is another one to consider..... Is this basicly the same scope at the 2.5-25x42 but in FFP and a sightly smaller magnification range?

Almost identical in appearance only.

Contact Ian Kelbly for any questions re: March at 330-683-4674. Ian is very helpful knowledgeable about The entire line up of March optics. PM me for a more detailed comparison or for any questions.